TheOptician

Marshal

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:18 PM

Hi, as the aliases matter still exist, im thinking of starting a "Notorious" series, just to see my records of ELO and clear W/L/D of (serious) online gameplay.

I, as a member of MT, will try to find a solution about aliases when i finish my final exams in June. I don't have time now.
(I have already started conversations about that and proposed something but need time and a kind of "project" for the admins, to process.

Greetings all.  :)

Is your final exam before or after Basel tournament on June 29?

I don't know yet the exact day. I will learn about, hopefully, in May.

#2 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Honorary members
  • 3,685 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:19 PM

OVERLORD,

Can you tell us more about what you are proposing?

#3 OVERLORD

OVERLORD

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:21 PM

Hi, i had thoughts about:

IP check in gameplay

Ability of choosing opponent (as in gravon).

Maybe a fresh start for everyone in statistics and rankings. A reset or delete ALL the accounts and everyone make a new one and only. All players should declare their only one main account.

PB to those who don't follow the rules and make aliases.

True e mail required, so for everyone will be much harder to make an allias than now with the fake e mail.

Tool from admins, whenever an IP address going to make an alias, simply won't allow it.

And many other things. I don't know if all of these are the best solutions and never have again aliases in this site, but for sure, it will be much better from now.

#4 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,038 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:29 AM

True e mail required, so for everyone will be much harder to make an allias than now with the fake e mail.

I've admired and advocated this for years. While it won't stop aliases, it should slow them way down. And, if anything can be said to be more possible with a non-responsive dev team, this seems like it would be. We will ask Oscar about it. There are Game Center accounts that don't have emails at all, though. Not sure what can be done about that type of thing. Would be wonderful to have the ear of a dev for a short time.

IP on the game side would be very nice. Why it's available on the forum side but not the game side has always been a mystery to me.

I don't know that we should all take the knife and start over until something is done in this area that gives some assurance the alias barn door has been closed.
Posted Image
The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/
Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#5 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Honorary members
  • 3,685 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:51 AM

I think with this it is worth putting a proposal together that the community is happy with before proposing to admin.

Of the 6 points above, 2 are relevant to aliases:

1 & 6. IP Check gameside
5. True e-mail required (whatever that means)

2,3,4 are different topics

One mistake that a past MT made is that when they finally got access to something they went in very small.

(Yes I’m talking about game logs - MT got access to what they asked - but they only asked for a handful of games as opposed to the files)

My point is that if you are going to ask for something it is a good idea to be sure that (in case the wish is granted) you are asking for the right things.

Btw, What is a ‘true email’?

IP address restrictions are limited too as players can easily use different IPs.

The only real move to prevent aliases in my opinion is to have accounts which require the player to identify themselves to admin - in the form of a bank card.
  • GaryLShelton likes this

#6 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

Marshal

• Members
  • 3,103 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 18 April 2019 - 12:16 PM

... Or as was proposed long time ago... Make pay for opening an account... People will stop immediately opening aliases...
  • GaryLShelton and OVERLORD like this
If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#7 Lord Invader

Lord Invader

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:14 PM

... Or as was proposed long time ago... Make pay for opening an account... People will stop immediately opening aliases...

I think if you do that the people at Jumbo would suddenly lose a lot of ad revenue b/c there would be a lot fewer eyeballs for their banner ads

#8 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

Marshal

• Members
  • 3,103 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 18 April 2019 - 06:51 PM

I think if you do that the people at Jumbo would suddenly lose a lot of ad revenue b/c there would be a lot fewer eyeballs for their banner ads

I see what you mean but in fact the ads are acting only on persons not on accounts, so if one person is appearing online with several accounts the marketing effect of the ad is only once on that person, independently if he/she appears with his main account or his aliases. No money loss for Jumbo.

• tobermoryx likes this
If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#9 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

Marshal

• Members
  • 3,103 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:00 PM

... in fact the ideal solution would be to have a free version, as today, with no change, and in addition to have a kind of "premium" version, payable, where most likely only the real fans would join. Tournament participants can then be accepted only if they have opened a premium account. This will not stop setup scouters but if all tournament participants understand that at each tournament they need to invent a new setup that will be de facto unknown by any other tournament participant then the problem is solved for the tournament. For normal ranked game you wil always face the risk to match a setup scouter and get a loss for it but the main ranking will be the tournament ranking not the ELO, so no matter really.

#10 tobermoryx

tobermoryx

Colonel

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold General

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:11 PM

The problem with aliases is in ranked games, not tournaments.

• GaryLShelton, Nortrom and OVERLORD like this

#11 texaspete09

texaspete09

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 557 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:52 PM

Ability of choosing opponent (as in gravon).

Tool from admins, whenever an IP address going to make an alias, simply won't allow it.

I like these ones. First would be really interesting but probably least likely since it would require the site's interface to be redone. Two is easy to implement, require new accts to verify their email. Third would be ideal if we want to truly get rid of aliases, but that's a big decision.

• OVERLORD likes this
Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#12 Lord Invader

Lord Invader

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 18 April 2019 - 08:01 PM

I see what you mean but in fact the ads are acting only on persons not on accounts, so if one person is appearing online with several accounts the marketing effect of the ad is only once on that person, independently if he/she appears with his main account or his aliases. No money loss for Jumbo.

I'm afraid it is, b/c lots of people will just stop playing rather than pay a fee.

#13 Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Sergeant

• WC Online Team
  • 485 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Miner

Posted 19 April 2019 - 02:47 PM

It is already possible to "decline to play" certain people.
Live by the fable rule book or perish without it.

#14 josephwhite

josephwhite

Captain

• Members
  • 783 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 19 April 2019 - 02:49 PM

Why not have a premium league with its own ELO ranking that is paid for? Then anyone who wants to can play the "open league" for free, but only those who pay can play premium league matches.

Premium membership could also come with other perks, like battlecoins, more info on opponents (e.g. record for last 100 games), country, etc.

#15 josephwhite

josephwhite

Captain

• Members
  • 783 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 19 April 2019 - 03:36 PM

It might be tricky to block based on IP, as many might share connections and change IPs a lot. However, it would be helpful if the IP address (or at least a portion of it for privacy reasons and the country its from) appeared when matched with a player. Also, VPNs should not be allowed, which I think is reasonably possible. I used to watch shows on Netflix from South Africa using a US VPN (otherwise Netflix was not allowed for commercial rights reasons). However, a few years ago, Netflix opened up to the South African market and immediately my VPN stopped working for Netflix USA, which implied to me that they had the technology to block it, but weren't clamping down on it previously. At this time I had HMA VPN and could never log into Stratego.com when the VPN was on, so I assume Stratego.com already blocks a lot of VPN usage.

On forums, we could have lists of players and their known IPs (or portions thereof). I'm sure we'd pick up a lot of multiple accounts this way. There may be a handful of people who had the technical know-how to bypass these things, but I assume it would be a small minority.

#16 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 19 April 2019 - 03:55 PM

Napo, Napo, Napo...come on, dude...get your focus and mind in gear. Lord Invader's point, I believe, is that the game-player base would be directly affected and would diminish dramatically if any kind of fee were imposed. Jumbo is able to sell "ad space" because they can provide the numbers of people online at varying times of day...this is the only way that they can determine and JUSTIFY to the ad space purchaser the value of that ad space. There are European advertisers as well as American, and so forth...this is largely going to be based upon the geographic location of the person logging on–the banner ads which you personally receive...are they usually Swiss based company ads, or are you seeing ads for American companies? 

At any rate, if a premium were imposed and suddenly you had a mass exodus of a few hundred players leaving because they refuse to open an account...then the advertisers would also pull out and refuse to buy a space, or at least, they would demand a significant reduction in fees. As you yourself point out, the advertisers are interested in numbers, not accounts, but if Jumbo loses its player base, then they are sunk. This is most likely another reason why Jumbo does not care about the alias issue...the more accounts that they have is a start of their package when trying to sell ad space...of course, the login logs are the most vital because they validate how many players are online, when, and how often. So, Jumbo wins even if a person has 100 accounts...such a person will most likely be logging on frequently.

Doing a complete global reset of all accounts, and then attempting to do some kind of purge may be great for us, but it may prove devastating to Jumbos meager ad income for their Stratego site.

Now, go have a coke and a smile, and get Trickz to flip you more rap...that was a rather funny and pathetic video all at once, but I loved how you handled him...that was terrific, Napo!  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users