#1 Losermaker

Losermaker

Major

• Moderators
  • 1,066 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 04 February 2019 - 02:06 AM

Here a group of players create and post a new setup every week for players to try or get inspiration from and to create a helpful resource for new players.

If you are interested in being part of this then please message me and I will add you to the list.

Next to post:

Napoleon 1er

Fairway

Napoleon 2eme

MasterMind

- Sniper -

Lord Invader

Unladen Swallow

Yellowhat

Losermaker

Sorrow

Tilor

josephwhite

The changover to the next week begins after each Sunday at 23:59GMT

Edited by Losermaker, 3 weeks ago.

• mirmidonas.gr, Fairway, texaspete09 and 2 others like this

#2 josephwhite

josephwhite

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:13 AM

Hello, sorry for the delay. I've decided to put forward a fairly predictable, conservative setup that I use with players below about 500 rating. I average around 850 rating, so there is a significant gap between our skill levels. Although a predictable setup can be a drawback at higher levels, normally my increased skill/experience over a player at 300-500 will offset this drawback. The conservative nature of the setup protects me fairly well against lottoers and aggressive risk takers.

For those players who are at the 300-600 range, it might be preferable to have a more unpredictable setup against similar level players, as you won't have the advantage of much higher skill/experience.

US Numbering

dOMpHw0.png

Itnl Numbering

98d83A1.png

Board editor

eKnqELo.png

Initial Movement:

My first priority in the game is normally to free up both colonels in the top row to protect against early lotto. I'll first move the captain in E4, then the scout in D4, to give room for the colonel to move from C4 to D4 if there is a Marshal lotto attack. I'll then do the same on the right side with the lieutenant and captain to free up the colonel in case of lotto down the middle.

Marsh, Gen, Spy

The marsh, gen and spy are at relatively predictable, conservative positions that will allow me to defend against a marsh or gen attack down either side or the middle. The worst that often happens is that the opponent will capture 1 or 2 lower pieces with their marsh/gen before being stopped by mine.

Flag Position

The flag bombed in the middle is to protect against the many players at those levels who scout and attack down the side hoping to get a side flag. All of the miners are on the right or left to open up bombed sides. I rarely find players who bomb the centre at those levels.

My experience with this setup

I've been using this setup (called "basic setup) and a few minor variants for a long time (I guess I will have to change now that it is made public). I once did an analysis on the success rate of setups that I have used over a period of about 2 years. As one can see, it is most effective against players at 300-500 level for me, but its effectiveness drops quite a bit the higher the level I play against, especially in comparison to other setups I have used. Also it's worth noting that generally, it wouldn't be the first setup I would use against a player 600+, but I would only use it possibly as the 3rd setup or later, just to mix things up. Also, I use it very rarely with players 600 and up so there are very few games to base it on and therefore the stats may be misleading.

MScfX1H.png

Edited by josephwhite, 07 February 2019 - 07:16 AM.

• Don_Homer, Losermaker, tobermoryx and 11 others like this

#3 Losermaker

Losermaker

Major

• Moderators
  • 1,066 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:14 AM

Awesome start Joseph! a very well explained setup that I think a lot of players can relate to, you have set the bar high for the rest of us ;)

• L3AF likes this

#4 L3AF

L3AF

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Scout

Posted 14 February 2019 - 02:27 AM

Great! very interesting bomb placement on the right there!

#5 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:57 PM

Dear all,

This is the setup I used in WCO17 and finish in 2nd place:

JrHbUnE.jpg

The rationale behind it is following:

- During WCO you need to surprise all your opponents with something very different from when you play during the year. In 2017 the very different thing was to have an open flag setup. Everybody knew me with closed flag so the idea was to surprise people with a non sealed flag.

- In addition to having an open flag setup I wanted to make an unpredictable setup, something that players who know me would never have thought I would do. So I imagine this very unusual bomb configuration which has let more than one very sceptical when guessing my setup. During the course of the game it was almost impossible to identify a tripod position.

- The first question will of course be but what the hell this col and marsh in H4 and I4? How does this work? Answer is first move of the game is col I4-I5 and 2nd move is col I5-J5. If opponent moves on right side let the col get identified early but hopefully capturing a captain or a major. As soon as col is identified launch scout from I3 to scout whatever is directly in front, hopefully you get either another scout or a strong piece. Then move back your known col to I3 and then immediately move marsh H4-I4 and miner H3-H4. Making these moves makes your opponent believe there is a small piece in front of the col and a marsh or spy in H4. Then on right side if you have captured a cap or a major with the col move your lieut from J4 to scout whatever is in front. Then let the positions as is without moving on right. until you get more information on left. Then play on left with scout in A4 followed by major from A3 and try to identify a maximum of pieces then from left, using this major, cap and other pieces over there. When you know a major or col try to bring it into a 50/50 with your gen. So after you know lots of info on left reveal your gen. Your opponent knows then your col on right which is back by a miner in H4 that is supposed to be your marsh and your gen on left which shall attract his marsh on left. No move in center till you are obliged to. At a certain point of the game there will be action in center and your major will have to move from G4 to F4 possibly to capture a cap. revealing this major will strngthen the feeling of your opponent that your miner in H4 is your marsh. When few pieces will be left your opponent will of course not forget your col on right and will try to bring his gen around taking care in particular to not get trapped by your miner in H4 and he may not take care alot of your marsh in I4. Believing this marsh in I4 is a small piece he will not scout it (note this is different for noobs, I tried this setup against noobs but it doesn't work that well because they scout this piece in front of my col and identify my marsh early). This marsh trap on right worked very well against Overlord, Nortrom in last year's wco and against Playa1 in winter tournament

- Other tips from this setup: When opponent has identified gen coming from D3 and col from C2 most of the people come to scout your bomb in D2 believing it's the spy. Usually this happens late in the game when no scouts are available anymore so this bomb may get a higher piece. Because people try to look for a tripod somewhere they do not hesitate to lotto on the other bombs on left when they know a first one. Because you make almost no move on right your flag is secured until late in the game and mainly after all scouts are out. So when the movable pieces on left and center have been consumed you can start moving those major  in H2 and cap in J2 that were naturally protected by your marsh in I4. At this point of the game you should have material advantage and enough information to organize your attack on some possible tripod or corner positions

- The bomb in F3 shall also be kept hidden as long as possible and can be used to simulate a fake marsh or spy.

- other tip: on right your opponent will most likely send a scout on your serg in J3. As he knows your col in I3 he may come with gen or marsh to capture your serg in J3 and threaten your col. He will certainly not lotto your cap in J2 with such high piece but may continue to threaten your col. So if this happens with gen then retreat your col to H3. If he moves to I3 get this gen with your marsh. If this happens with marsh then your col is next to spy, just move away your marsh from I4 and continue the bluff.

Edited by Napoleon 1er, 16 February 2019 - 01:23 PM.

• Don_Homer, Losermaker, Fairway and 4 others like this
If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#6 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,372 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted 24 February 2019 - 02:35 AM

The setup I’ve chosen to share with you all is the one I’ve used to progress from upper gold (650) to low platinum (750) in a matter of less than 20 games. I’ve been using this setup for 2 weeks, playing my first game with in on 2/11/2019. My total record using this setup is 13-6 (.685).

Now, I know what you’re thinking. 20 games? That’s it? You’ve hardly played with that setup at all!

Let me explain something. I’m a player who very often rotates between setup. I never use the same setup for more than 50 games, and after about 50 games, I switch to using a new setup. So for me, 20 games is a good measure of how well a setup works, or doesn’t work.

And speaking of working, this setup works very well, in my opinion. It can be viewed here:

https://imgur.com/a/bQKoca0 (European Numbering)

https://imgur.com/a/JF2Yu4R (US Numbering)

https://imgur.com/a/U1uq7qC (Board Editor)

(My apologies for not being technologically advanced enough to directly post the picture here)

Total Record: 13-6 (.685)

Platinum: 8-2 (.800)

Gold: 5-4 (.556)

Ironically, this setup has worked significantly better against platinum players as opposed to Gold players. I believe this is due to the deceptive flag and power-piece placement. More on that:

Initial Movement

First, I advance with the captain on I4 into my opponent’s setup, usually attacking J7 and then I7 if not taken. If still not taken, I’ll advance further into I8 or H7. I also like to advance a bit with the captain/scouts on the left side to provide an avenue of movement with general in case of emergency. See below for more information on that. I only ever play defense in the center- I never attack there unless marshal is discovered and I have good opportunity with general.

Flag

Almost all players go for the flag decoy in the center before trying the real flag in the corner. It’s important to guard the flag decoy well, as if it were your real flag. Never let unknown pieces approach the fake flag, discover and take them as you would a piece approaching your real flag.

Don’t move the sergeant or scout by the fake flag until absolutely imperative in the endgame. Encourage the finding of the bomb on F9 by leaving that lane open to scouts, but don’t let that bomb be taken.

When a player approaches an unknown piece from the right, don’t deliberately act as if you are trying to guard the corner flag, rather advance on his unknown piece with a piece of yours and act as if you are playing for control of the lane, rather than defending the flag.

Marshal, General, Colonels, Spy

Power piece placement. I prefer to keep the marshal hidden, and instead bluff the lieutenant on G4 or the Miner on H3 as the marshal. You may let one or the other of these bluff pieces be known (e.g. to diffuse a bomb, or take a sergeant) but don’t reveal both in the same game in order to keep the bluff with the marshal. I only advance with the marshal unless imperative to defend (all other bluffs exhausted) or if I think it’s probable I can pick up a general or colonel. Majors are not worth it.

General is also in a deceptive location, most people expect it to be under the left lake. Try to keep the general hidden as long as possible, but do not retreat with it; rather, move other pieces (e.g. major and scout behind lake) in front of it. I prefer to take at least a major with my general before it is discovered.

I also like to use the scout on B4 near the opening moves of the game on B7, then advance with captain, and move the scouts on C3 and D3 toward the left side. This is to allow a path from the general to the spy if absolutely necessary, upon a blitz or advancement by the opponent’s marshal. Don’t move the general next to the spy simply because you can, but only if you must. But I always like to keep this pathway open just in case.

Keep the colonel on B2 (next to the spy on C2) hidden, unless you can pick up a captain or major. Upon retreating the colonel back to my setup I prefer to keep in on B3 so as not to be overly obvious that it can be protected by retreating back to it’s original position on B2. I retreat back to B2 if it is threatened.

I am usually fairly aggressive with the colonel on H4. Don’t be too aggressive, however, as a majority the games I’ve lost with this setup (4) was mostly/primarily because I lost the colonel on H4 early in the beginning stages of the game. I prefer to advance the colonel only after the captain on I4 is dead/traded off.

Summary

I like this setup because it’s practical, while very unpredictable. I think it works better against platinum players than gold players due to this, as platinum players use intuition when attacking/defending and are often surprised by the placement of pieces. I also like the flag placement, which is also unpredictable but needs only 2 bombs, allowing for bombs to be placed elsewhere in the setup. I find that this setup works best vs. around 800 ELO players, and the highest ranked player it’s defeated is Napoleon 1er.

The worst playstyle this setup could encounter would be an all-out marshal, general, colonels blitz on the right (flag) side. The marshal is often too far deep in the setup to counter swiftly enough, meaning that bluffs will carry you in this situation. However, this playstyle is rare in the platinum levels (encountered in once in 20 games), so this is a very rare situation.

I find that the setup does best against marshal blitzers on the left, as well as defensive players.

Defensive/passive players are less of a rarity at this level, making this a good tradeoff.

To see a sample game with this setup- view game with Napoleon 1er here: https://youtu.be/nuiG52ztGWo

• Don_Homer, Losermaker, Napoleon 1er and 8 others like this
WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series! :D

#7 Napoleon 2ème

Napoleon 2ème

Lieutenant

• Moderators
  • 723 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 24 February 2019 - 10:30 AM

Nice description Fairway, I personally have a question, why is the spy that far away? Especially if you move more right and center

I never lose, I win or I learn…

#8 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,372 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted 24 February 2019 - 02:14 PM

Nice description Fairway, I personally have a question, why is the spy that far away? Especially if you move more right and center

The spy placement is purposely deceptive. In 19 games with this setup, I've captured 3 marshal from players who attacked the colonel on the left. However if you view my Marshal, General, Colonels, Spy section, I often open up the left side and move pieces behind the left lake out, so that my general can run to the spy if absolutely imperative. This is to make it practical but also unpredictable as then it is not overly obvious.

• Napoleon 2ème likes this
WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series! :D

#9 Lord Invader

Lord Invader

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 25 February 2019 - 02:16 AM

Nice setup, Fairway.  I wanted to tell you that I tried this setup a couple of times this afternoon and twice my opponents mentioned in the chat they were very surprised by the Marshal's position.  That never happens. In one of the games my Marshal was attacked by my opponent's General.

Edited by Lord Invader, 25 February 2019 - 02:17 AM.

• Don_Homer, Dobby125 and Fairway like this

#10 Losermaker

Losermaker

Major

• Moderators
  • 1,066 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 06 March 2019 - 12:25 AM

As Mastermind has not posted he has been moved to the back of the list and the next to post is Napoleon 2eme

#11 Napoleon 2ème

Napoleon 2ème

Lieutenant

• Moderators
  • 723 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 06 March 2019 - 11:45 AM

My setup is the following one :

https://imgur.com/ij1Z4gn

This is a setup I have used against bronze and silver players and it allowed me to reach gold with few victories. At that level, I expect high pieces to be shown quite early in the game, this is why there are 2 bombs in the first 2 rows.

The bomb in first row has to be covered as much as possible with the intention to take a major or a colonel (maybe more) . 

The bomb in second row has to block the attack of players attacking o your right, usually it helps to take a captain or marshal.

Your objective is to attack from the left side, and move quite fast sergeant, captain and scout (s) in order to have a colonel ready to move in case of a blitz. I know it is really risky to have major, colonel and general on the same side and using this against players who usually attack with high pieces early in the game. But losing a major is not a big problem if you take a captain on the other side. The general is located in bomb position, few players risk to lotto there, and if they do, the spy is there in order to protect.

My strategy is to push how I can on the left until I have a free way for colonel and/or general without showing them until it is not necessary. Once this situation is obtained, I slowly push on the right side, without showing my marshall who is in an unexpected position.

Some of you may ask what happens in the center. As you can see, there aren't big pieces there, but there is the bomb which could halp to bluff, the spy is not far away too and some players easily go lotto there.

The miner over the spy can be used in 2 ways

A) It can be used to bluff and be considered as a marshall or general

B )It can come on the left side to take bombs in the first rows

Concerning the flag, it is closed to avoid lotto, but usually, I try to defend on the left as most players will Believe it is in corner once they have seen colonel, general, ect…

I hope it can be helpful to some of you especially those who wants to reach the gold level.

If you have any question, feel free to ask me :)  

Edited by Napoleon 2ème, 06 March 2019 - 11:46 AM.

• Losermaker, Dobby125, mirmidonas.gr and 5 others like this

#12 udesab

udesab

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 06 March 2019 - 05:15 PM

Isnt the spy better in an upper spot because for my experience every second opponent attacks with the marshall ? 

#13 Napoleon 2ème

Napoleon 2ème

Lieutenant

• Moderators
  • 723 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 06 March 2019 - 05:58 PM

Isnt the spy better in an upper spot because for my experience every second opponent attacks with the marshall ? 

True, I sometimes change her location with the miner up, but it is also quite bluffy, which is Something I like

• udesab likes this

#14 Gingerbreadman_1

Gingerbreadman_1

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Scout

Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:37 AM

Napoleon 2eme, thank you for sharing this setup. Do you have any videos of you playing this setup on your YouTube channel?

Edited by Gingerbreadman_1, 12 March 2019 - 02:38 AM.

• Napoleon 2ème likes this

#15 Napoleon 2ème

Napoleon 2ème

Lieutenant

• Moderators
  • 723 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:43 PM

Napoleon 2eme, thank you for sharing this setup. Do you have any videos of you playing this setup on your YouTube channel?

No, but if interested I will post one  :D

#16 Gingerbreadman_1

Gingerbreadman_1

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Scout

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:50 AM

No, but if interested I will post one  :D

Please do, this setup intrigues me! It seems to suit my playing style  :)

• Losermaker and Napoleon 2ème like this

#17 Napoleon 2ème

Napoleon 2ème

Lieutenant

• Moderators
  • 723 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:04 PM

Please do, this setup intrigues me! It seems to suit my playing style  :)

And here you are, let me know if you want some more, but I think that this one is a great one, it shows either how to manage an attack on the left, a marshal in front, a comeback and some bluff. 

If you want other videos of this kind, do you want them in this format or with voice comments… or even live?

https://youtu.be/CoDXhfg9rLg

Edited by Napoleon 2ème, 13 March 2019 - 08:04 PM.

• Gingerbreadman_1 likes this

#18 Gingerbreadman_1

Gingerbreadman_1

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Scout

Posted 14 March 2019 - 05:23 AM

Thank you! That was a perfect game to showcase the setup :) As a beginner, watching videos of setups that are effective yet unpredictable against bronze and silver players is very helpful. 

More videos would be awesome. I prefer voice comments with your thought process but please whatever is easier for you. Also, I did have to slow down the video back to normal speed. You and your opponent were playing very quick and it was difficult to remember the rank of your opponent's pieces when I only had a split second to see the animation before the next move happened. 

• mirmidonas.gr likes this

#19 Napoleon 2ème

Napoleon 2ème

Lieutenant

• Moderators
  • 723 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:13 AM

Alright, thanks for the positive comments :)

#20 Lord Invader

Lord Invader

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 18 March 2019 - 05:30 PM

Looking forward to the next setup.  I love this feature!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)