UnladenSwallow

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted 03 February 2019 - 06:19 PM

Personally if I were to sign up to a forum and saw a message "pay $0.01 to complete payment", I would exit the window and assume it's a scam / dodgy site trying to collect data. 

#122 Fairway

Fairway

General

• Moderators
  • 2,974 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted 03 February 2019 - 06:22 PM

Yes josh I agree on that aspect... only downside to Nortrom's plan is that many will be discouraged to join upon seeing the fee.

• UnladenSwallow likes this
WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series! :D

#123 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:44 PM

https://youtu.be/BIroRqO_BpM?t=14

• UnladenSwallow likes this

#124 don mitsos

don mitsos

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:52 PM

I am glad that my will to do something with the huge problem of aliases has stirred the still waters of this chronic problem. I have read several opinions about it, with some i agree with others i don't. Also several solutions have been proposed, others require an extent of admin work. Others require big software changes and in my opinion this by itself rules them out. The positive thing is that it seems that the community wants this problem to be resolved and if that is the case, more pressure could be put into admin's to accept to actually do something that will benefit the site.

• OVERLORD and roeczak like this

#125 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,104 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:00 PM

I am glad that [the] problem of aliases has stirred the still waters of this chronic problem..Others require big software changes and in my opinion this by itself rules them out.

I am very pleased you have a pragmatic view of this particular question. Thank you for your candid post.

I would like to ask you, please, don mitsos, as I know that you are very passionate about Stratego and particularly about fair play (you will find no disagreement here) a question:

Let us say you are faced with a dilemma as an MT member in that you understand a problem correctly...let us say that there is a possibility to improve the matter of aliases, but for more practical and seemingly unreasonable reasons, your colleagues do not support what you know could be an improvement. All MT take a vote and it is 4 against your 1. Again, it goes to the very heart of helping to release the static and unchanging nature of the alias problem. How do you respond to your colleagues for what may be interpreted as a complete lack of support of facts?

Edited by KissMyCookie, 03 February 2019 - 08:01 PM.

• Napoleon 2ème likes this

#126 don mitsos

don mitsos

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 03 February 2019 - 09:04 PM

Let us say you are faced with a dilemma as an MT member in that you understand a problem correctly...let us say that there is a possibility to improve the matter of aliases, but for more practical and seemingly unreasonable reasons, your colleagues do not support what you know could be an improvement. All MT take a vote and it is 4 against your 1. Again, it goes to the very heart of helping to release the static and unchanging nature of the alias problem. How do you respond to your colleagues for what may be interpreted as a complete lack of support of facts?

Well, i would like to believe that with the current MT form we wouldn't need to vote (and decide on our own) for such an important matter. The community would have the opportunity to express its opinion and ultimately a poll would be conducted to let MT know their view on the matter. After all i believe that MT is the vessel of the community straight to the admins. If there was a vote about bringing this issue to the community and there was a 4-1 vote against it, then i would resign as i don't want to be part of a team which does not have democratic procedures as a top priority. As i said though, i don't believe the current MT form would act likewise.

• tobermoryx, UnladenSwallow and Napoleon 2ème like this

#127 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,104 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:09 AM

Well, i would like to believe that with the current MT form we wouldn't need to vote (and decide on our own) for such an important matter.

@don mitsos–First and foremost, thank you very much for your candid answer. I must apologize, however, as I feel my question might not have been as well composed or focused as I had intended.

My question was more about this–if you needed to resolve a matter amongst your colleagues on the MT, which had nothing to do with the community immediately. I can be sure that you and I would agree that no one should ever have to compromise their honor and integrity–that is a forbidden zone. Ideals, on the other hand, are not predicated exclusively upon the aforementioned virtues.

The question I really want to posit is this–do you feel you can occasionally make compromises with your MT colleagues?

(This of course applies to them too, so you would not be the only one to have to do this).

#128 don mitsos

don mitsos

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 05 February 2019 - 01:36 AM

The question I really want to posit is this–do you feel you can occasionally make compromises with your MT colleagues?

(This of course applies to them too, so you would not be the only one to have to do this).

That depends on how strongly i believe to be right. I don't claim pope's infallibility, sometimes there are aspects, on a case or idea, that i might have not considered. So if logical explanations and proofs are provided it is possible that i could "compromise".

On the other hand, every MT discussion is followed by a voting, so if all the others are against my vote in a case, i will of course concede (that is the democratic thing to do) but i would't have compromised.

Overall i will not be looking for trouble with my colleagues. I am sure there are going to be arguments about matters but in the end we all are committed to stratego and by that commitment we are bounded. 

• GaryLShelton and KissMyCookie like this

#129 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,915 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 17 February 2019 - 06:43 PM

I am glad that my will to do something with the huge problem of aliases has stirred the still waters of this chronic problem. I have read several opinions about it, with some i agree with others i don't. Also several solutions have been proposed, others require an extent of admin work. Others require big software changes and in my opinion this by itself rules them out. The positive thing is that it seems that the community wants this problem to be resolved and if that is the case, more pressure could be put into admin's to accept to actually do something that will benefit the site.

Although there will be some opportunity for activism in things he feels driven to, the main job of the moderator is a very mundane affair: Opening and closing cases and just ushering things along so that we don't get bogged down in too many unresolved cases. Also, improving one's knowledge of the GS&F rules will be helpful.

Plans for major changes may take a long time but the docket of cases never rests for long. So it's important to know that activism will not be the only task.

This is especially all the more true now that the MT has taken on so many more enforcements than before.

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#130 Don_Homer

Don_Homer

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 17 February 2019 - 10:56 PM

Although there will be some opportunity for activism in things he feels driven to, the main job of the moderator is a very mundane affair: Opening and closing cases and just ushering things along so that we don't get bogged down in too many unresolved cases. Also, improving one's knowledge of the GS&F rules will be helpful.

Plans for major changes may take a long time but the docket of cases never rests for long. So it's important to know that activism will not be the only task.

This is especially all the more true now that the MT has taken on so many more enforcements than before.

We are in agreement that cases are important, Gary. But please also work on long term plans together. Try to make better contact with site owners with implemenation of rules as a target so the workload of the MT can be signifcantly reduced as will the fun of the players.

Molto Bene, Thats a nica Donut !

#131 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,915 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 17 February 2019 - 11:10 PM

Don, we do indeed try to work on bigger issue things as best we can. But it's been amid an ever increasing workload of regular cases. So it's tough. Even more so than before. Still, I think our best hope of anything from Jumbo may come from your own Dutch SBN group.

Sadly, we have no red phone to the owners as MT, a very sore but true fact. The mods at Metaforge back in the day rubbed shoulders with the owner there on a daily basis. The owner, can you imagine! Would that we had that here.

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#132 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,519 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 18 February 2019 - 01:34 AM

We are in agreement that cases are important, Gary. But please also work on long term plans together. Try to make better contact with site owners with implemenation of rules as a target so the workload of the MT can be signifcantly reduced as will the fun of the players.

I'm puzzled.. you want to reduce the fun of the players? My guess is that you meant to say something else.. :)

• Don_Homer, mogul and like this
"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

See this thread for live gaming updates

#133 don mitsos

don mitsos

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:46 AM

I agree that everyone should do his part on these mundane affairs, but if nothing is done about "activism" matters the workload will be ever increasing. In my opinion the approach of dealing with cases is epidermic and only if matters are dealt to their core there will be a proper and lasting solution and the workload lessened. To achieve that though, activism has to be a priority.

• Don_Homer likes this

#134 Don_Homer

Don_Homer

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 18 February 2019 - 11:44 AM

Don, we do indeed try to work on bigger issue things as best we can. But it's been amid an ever increasing workload of regular cases. So it's tough. Even more so than before. Still, I think our best hope of anything from Jumbo may come from your own Dutch SBN group.

Sadly, we have no red phone to the owners as MT, a very sore but true fact. The mods at Metaforge back in the day rubbed shoulders with the owner there on a daily basis. The owner, can you imagine! Would that we had that here.

Well then its an advantage that now 2 MT members are in the SBN Stratego group.

Yes I know about Meta and Gravon. On gravon the owner was/is himself an MT-member! So yes I can imagine very good as I witnessed both websites myself and it work(ed) better than this website still…

Molto Bene, Thats a nica Donut !

#135 rgillis783

rgillis783

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:41 PM

Is a time table in place for when new MT member will join ? 

#136 UnladenSwallow

UnladenSwallow

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted 19 February 2019 - 07:53 PM

Soon™

• Nortrom and rgillis783 like this

#137 josephwhite

josephwhite

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 4 weeks ago

Hence: my proposal is as follows. Scrap the 50%+ majority MT voting. Introduce a new system where only ONE mod can decide the severity. Introduce a new "appeals" system where a dissatisfied member can request a full vote using the current 50%+ majority. This would work great. Most cases are simple enough

I agree

#138 josephwhite

josephwhite

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 4 weeks ago

I was discussing the issue yesterday with Nortrom as well. If I understood correctly his proposal it was to charge $0.01 to make an initial account and then charge $5 to make another account. 

I support the $5 concept, but not the $.01 concept.

#139 josephwhite

josephwhite

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 4 weeks ago

I think it is great that there are 3 interested candidates, and all seem to be well-motivated people who would be good assets to the MT. I'm not sure I understand Astros concern about Nap2. There are apparently issues from the MT history that I'm not aware of. I find most of Nap1's input quite intelligent and relevant. Also, a lot of people know each other from live interactions, which brings another dimension of relationship that is hard to understand from an outsider like myself.

Also, it does seem that the MT has become much better. I was sceptical with all the negativity that existed before, but it seems that things have worked out for the best.

#140 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,104 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 4 weeks ago

Gary,

What is this? TWO names are missing from MT:

Losermaker

and 

Nortrom

What have you done, gary?! Are these two no longer MT? If yes, why hasn't any kind of announcement been made?! What is the EXACT reason behind this?

Is this the kind of transparency you were promising?

Speaking on behalf of this community, you and the MT owe us an immediate explanation...so please explain...

HbKjkV9.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users