#41 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 706 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:19 PM

More on subject: from what I have seen here so far is a young enthusiastic player who does not seem to back away as soon as he gets some push back.

Without going into the requirements list for the MT: from what I have seen from TheJedi/Napo 2 so far is a great willingness to do things for the community. We have his youtube channel, his adventures in his school and actions to promote the game in Switzerland.

One of the things I was wondering is the refereeing part of being in the MT and he already gave some reasoning that he wants to be involved with this sort of things from a justice perspective.

I hope the various questions asked here help the discussion on what he wants for the site and the community if he would be in the MT and why.

@Unladen Swallow:  "Admiral, we have enemy ships in sector 47!"

ackbar_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BquzNJMpt-xp3nPuQ

• Napoleon 1er, rgillis783 and Napoleon 2ème like this

#42 Napoleon 2ème

Napoleon 2ème

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:45 PM

More on subject: from what I have seen here so far is a young enthusiastic player who does not seem to back away as soon as he gets some push back.

Without going into the requirements list for the MT: from what I have seen from TheJedi/Napo 2 so far is a great willingness to do things for the community. We have his youtube channel, his adventures in his school and actions to promote the game in Switzerland.

One of the things I was wondering is the refereeing part of being in the MT and he already gave some reasoning that he wants to be involved with this sort of things from a justice perspective.

I hope the various questions asked here help the discussion on what he wants for the site and the community if he would be in the MT and why.

@Unladen Swallow:  "Admiral, we have enemy ships in sector 47!"

AHahah another Star Wars fan here… well here is how I could describe myself from the star wars universe 

I am a human trying to make his way into the galaxy (jango phett, SW ep. 2)

As Morx said, I have already made some things which show that I am clearly involved in improving stratego… for example, the Swiss tournament, a tournament in a country which was far, far away to host a stratego event some years ago probably...

I  never lose, I win or I learn…

#43 Napoleon 2ème

Napoleon 2ème

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:51 PM

Hi KMC

I really have the feeling that people isn't properly against me, but against the fact that my father was a moderator and this is not right to me… I would understand if Napo1 had asked to become moderator again, but this is not the case, I am another person…

You stated you & N1 have the same interest in improvements. It is basically N1 again. People want to hear/see that you think you'll do a better job than N1. Many will perceive that this is not a difficult goal to achieve, but those who were not happy with N1, will not be happy with someone promising more of the same.

The fact that I'm living with him shouldn't be a point to decide if I can or not become a moderator, as I have already said, e are very separated on this site, both of us say their thoughts, we make our own pairing in the tourney and play our games without switching accounts to eachothers, I Don't see why, if I become a moderator, I should ask him to do my job as it is me who had chosen to answer the open call to become moderator.

Some may feel that this can put you in a tough spot, and also potentially be influenced by N1. I don't think this would be the case, but it is a burden you can not possibly overcome against the critics.

a) Let's start my first plan with a little story which could allow some of you to know me a bit better, I want to become a scientist policeman ( so the guy who makes the analysis for the police) ; I want to do this because i guess it is not "cool" that there are victims and people doing what they want trough laws. Here it is more or less the same thing (probably less drammatic) but I guess that a victim of an abuse will slowly lose the willing to play the game while the abuser will increase all the time. So I engage myself to spend my time to work on it and make a way to allow the victim to enjoy the game again like if Nothing happened and convince the abuser not to start again.

B) This one is still to be determinated, but it would be to focus on promoting dissuasive rules, with this I mean that it could be nice to ask the creators of the game to add a page in the screen menu of stratego (where you have chat, players friends,....)  which would be rules, where it explain better what is allowed and what isn't writing the penality there are. In that way, I think some abuser or future abuser would maybe think twice before ruining a match.

We have the GS&FR (General Site & Forum Rules). Upon infringements, people are sent a warning letter which explains that their displayed behavior has led to this and that continuation of such behavior will result into more severe sanctions. How would you improve that? (besides textual changes). Adding those players to your friendlist and talking to them (if you even meet them at the same time..) will tire you out. Note that MT has not much say over pages/menus etc)

c) If it is possible to get in touch with the creators, add a new league, like "legen" or "champion" or another name that the Community could like for players over 1000+ or 900+ if it is better to keep going with steps of 20 points.

Small cosmetic thing. This isn't really convincing I think.

Well, I Don't pretend to give everything that is missing to this site, but even a few cosmetic things could help, to build a house, you need to builde the Walls first, and then you can keep going, the Walls have been built already so… why can't i bring Something else?

Out of this point which in my opinion could have been an original idea, to answer your question about the other point, the idea is basically to make it more.. clear, that people reads it and is more informed, this is the best way for me to make things better : inform people (this is what is happening with the global warming or?)

I really want to be in the MT because I have the motivation and the entusiasm to serve the communitee in the best way I can and I will enjoy doing this work. Now it's up to you, every players of the forum to decide if MY quality are enaugh or not because you would vote for ME (or not) but not for Napo1, I Don't see why he should be interfering in my work. At the moment he is not home, but I'm sure that as a father, he should be happy to see his son taking some responsabilities with that enthusiasm...

• Napoleon 1er likes this

#44 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Tournament Manager
  • 3,290 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:14 PM

I don't remember any previous candidates being required to present their manifesto for improvement. The improvement in MT performance (since Lonello left - I had to get that in) has been remarkable so I think there is limited room for improvement anyway.

Neither do I think the fact that Napo1 used to be a moderator should have any bearing at all on whether you would consider Napo2 to have the ability to judge fairly and fulfil the duties required by a moderator. (Here I imagine Napo1 whispering in his son's ear 'Son, 'idiot' is not a nice word, and I wouldn't personally say it to anyone, but is it enough to convict?'. 'Dad, shut up.. please')

Youth is a factor simply because experience of situations that arise can bring benefits. But that doesn't mean someone young cannot do the job and besides that there is experience within the team already - most people don't know that Gary Shelton is actually 76.

In his replies so far Napo2 has demonstrated an enthusiasm for the role, transparency in his motivations and demonstrated that he will not be phased by criticism - particularly when some of this criticism is being somewhat unfairly levelled. Plus he has taken it on himself (as he has been forced to mention a few times now) to start a Swiss movement and organise a QA Tourney.

He hasn't been here long (most previous joiners have had a fair bit of forum time on their hands before joining MT) and so there isn't a huge amount of content that he has written from which to assess how he might perform as a judge of cases, but I haven't seen him put a foot wrong anywhere. 

• Napoleon 1er, Fairway, UnladenSwallow and 1 other like this

#45 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:16 PM

@TemplateR...I expected much more from you. When I published similar concerns about OVERLORD becoming an MT, you and R. didn't even say boo! Why not? Because you weren't in support of OVERLORD becoming an MT. I only had concerns. The moment that I voice similar feelings about a new individual thinking of becoming an MT, you guys go wild and attack me because...you want this fellow to be an MT.

I feel that this is hypocritical.

#46 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,104 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:19 PM

@Napoleon 2ème–Thank you for your answers. I agree with Morx, that in spite of the fiery posts going on, you ignore the explosions and focus upon the matter at hand. I appreciate this and I like it more and more.

@TheOptician–When Nortrom was making a bid to aide the MT, he was definitely under fire and scrutinized, and grilled, and attacked endlessly. People were even claiming that Nortrom would destroy this forum...so...yes...previous to this...someone has experienced incredible scrutiny.

#47 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:35 PM

@TemplateR...I expected much more from you. When I published similar concerns about OVERLORD becoming an MT, you and R. didn't even say boo! Why not? Because you weren't in support of OVERLORD becoming an MT. I only had concerns. The moment that I voice similar feelings about a new individual thinking of becoming an MT, you guys go wild and attack me because...you want this fellow to be an MT.

I feel that this is hypocritical.

I explained why I was hesitant about Overlord joining MT: it was because of his previous actions, i.e. his communication style, not his youth or any other intrinsic characteristic.

For the record, I haven’t yet spoken in favor of Napoleon 2eme joining MT. Only that he be judged on his actions/ideas, not his housing situation, father, or youth or whatever. I think that this is consistent with how I voted on Overlord.

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#48 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,104 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:41 PM

@TemplateR.

Insulting me, making personal judgements about me, calling me names is hardly a neutral territory. I do not expect you to understand my communication style, but you have no right to be so nasty with me.

#49 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Tournament Manager
  • 3,290 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:47 PM

@TheOptician–When Nortrom was making a bid to aide the MT, he was definitely under fire and scrutinized, and grilled, and attacked endlessly. People were even claiming that Nortrom would destroy this forum...so...yes...previous to this...someone has experienced incredible scrutiny.

True, but that was a revolution :-!  something which warrants a higher level of scrutiny

#50 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:51 PM

@TemplateR.

Insulting me, making personal judgements about me, calling me names is hardly a neutral territory. I do not expect you to understand my communication style, but you have no right to be so nasty with me.

I explained to you why I found your communication towards N2 condescending and patronizing, as per the dictionary definition. If you find that nasty, you might want to reread your own words. I feel I have the right to point that out as you were the one derailing N2’s MT candidacy by irrelevant arguments. I didn’t call you as a person any nasty names, nor would that be warranted.

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#51 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,104 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:58 PM

@TemplateR.

Your opinion is uninformed. Accusing me of being condescending is purely ad hominem–I stated I was not, but this comes down to your interpretation, not an objective point of fact; hence, your opinion is biased and negative about me. Saying that I "...take trolling to the next level," is uncalled for and is a rather personal value judgement, and this your motivation, because you felt frustrated. This does not justify any kind of uncivilized behavior.

As for derailing Napoleon 2ème's bid for candidacy, this is utter rubbish. This thread is about discussing the matter and ALL questions concerning this bid. Napoleon 2ème does not seem to have any problem making a positive and open discussion...unlike you.

Edited by KissMyCookie, 01 February 2019 - 12:00 AM.

#52 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 01 February 2019 - 12:29 AM

@TemplateR.

Your opinion is uninformed. Accusing me of being condescending is purely ad hominem–I stated I was not, but this comes down to your interpretation, not an objective point of fact; hence, your opinion is biased and negative about me. Saying that I "...take trolling to the next level," is uncalled for and is a rather personal value judgement, and this your motivation, because you felt frustrated. This does not justify any kind of uncivilized behavior.

As for derailing Napoleon 2ème's bid for candidacy, this is utter rubbish. This thread is about discussing the matter and ALL questions concerning this bid. Napoleon 2ème does not seem to have any problem making a positive and open discussion...unlike you.

I apologize for the trolling accusation, and have removed it from the post.
I stand by the condescending remark: saying someone is too young to understand your arguments really fits that word.
I will not respond to further exchanges with you on this matter.

Edited by TemplateRex, 01 February 2019 - 12:30 AM.

#53 astros

astros

Stratego TM

• NASF Committee
  • 862 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 01 February 2019 - 12:35 AM

No offense intended and nothing personal, but IMO this is a bunch of BS, quite truthfully. This has nothing to do with anything. 

No doubt Napo Jr. is influenced by his father's thinking, but he is old enough to think for himself and form opinions , and he is an entirely different person.

To be candid, I believe that Napoleon 1er was a bad moderator that does not make him a bad person  (I would not be a good one either). However, as a result, I do not want to see his underaged son become a moderator. Perhaps he would be better, maybe he wouldn't, maybe my critique of him is unfair but that is my impression.

I would remind everyone that it very difficult to get rid of crappy moderator, it took years of malpractice and months of protest for Lonello and Napoleon 1er to be canned. Gary, who is far worse in my opinion, is going 5 years strong. I encourage everyone to think critically about who they want to represent the community. If that is Napoleon 2, then so be it, that is fine, but do not just rush to pick the first person just because they are enthusiastic.

I'd also like to point out that I have the cajones to say what four people told me they agreed with privately, so this is not a singular opinion.

Cheers

I'm in love with Stacy's mom.

#54 tobermoryx

tobermoryx

Major

• Honorary members
  • 1,274 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 01 February 2019 - 03:48 AM

Well if Napoleon2 is not chosen the MT will just have to continue as 4, because no one else is going to be enthused to join after reading this thread   :unsure:

• Nortrom, Losermaker, Napoleon 1er and 3 others like this

#55 astros

astros

Stratego TM

• NASF Committee
  • 862 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 01 February 2019 - 06:56 AM

Having 4 people is not a bad thing, neither is going down to 3.
I'm in love with Stacy's mom.

#56 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,519 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 01 February 2019 - 09:58 AM

Well, I Don't pretend to give everything that is missing to this site, but even a few cosmetic things could help, to build a house, you need to builde the Walls first, and then you can keep going, the Walls have been built already so… why can't i bring Something else?

I think it would help for some critics, if you would list at least one improvement in an area MT can make a difference in. 

Out of this point which in my opinion could have been an original idea, to answer your question about the other point, the idea is basically to make it more.. clear, that people reads it and is more informed, this is the best way for me to make things better : inform people (this is what is happening with the global warming or?)

How would you increase the probability of someone reading a warning letter? it is sent to them, after that, it is beyond our control.

I really want to be in the MT because I have the motivation and the entusiasm to serve the communitee in the best way I can and I will enjoy doing this work. Now it's up to you, every players of the forum to decide if MY quality are enaugh or not because you would vote for ME (or not) but not for Napo1, I Don't see why he should be interfering in my work. At the moment he is not home, but I'm sure that as a father, he should be happy to see his son taking some responsabilities with that enthusiasm...

Motivation and enthusiasm are great, but somewhat empty, things. What skills would you be bringing to the table?

"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

See this thread for live gaming updates

#57 Napoleon 2ème

Napoleon 2ème

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 01 February 2019 - 12:40 PM

1) Seems good, I ll answer in number 3
2) Maybe with a system during the game, and with this I mean that a message appears when something is going wrong (no exchanges for more than 5 min after a draw refusal ect... like it says you can't keep moving the same piece in the same 2 places for 3 times.
Of course, it would require a disponibilty and a patience with the creators of the site, but I think it us possible

3) The sector where I am able to give my skills is in the prevention of cases, trying to apply what I have said previously. I think it's better to prevent that punish..
I also will enjoy giving a part of my time for the happyness of the communitee which has been very friendly with me and integrated me as soon as I arrived

#58 Napoleon 2ème

Napoleon 2ème

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 01 February 2019 - 12:43 PM

I have just seen that don mitsos is interested aswell, that's pretty nice. I have a question aswell which is the following one : I haven't seen you much on the forum, is it because you think everything has been told before you come or is it because you have time on other days...?

#59 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,519 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 01 February 2019 - 01:07 PM

Since N2 is facing quite some questions, I feel it is only fair that the most recently announced candidate gets a podium too.

Questions to don mitsos:

1) In an old thread, you mentioned "more democracy". How do you feel about the process used during OVERLORD.'s promotion? (candidacy - debate - approval vote)

2) Do you feel all individual moderators should be re-approved after X time?

3) If you were appointed to the MT, is there anything in particular you feel could use improvements? (excluding software changes. No is an answer too)

4) Have you been in a position before - whether professionally or voluntary - where you have had to act as a judge/referee/moderator?

5) Do you feel your knowledge of the game and site rules are sufficient to act as a member of the MT? 

6) How do you feel about unethical methods being deployed in a game that are not yet covered by the rules/guidelines when someone brings forth a case?

"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

See this thread for live gaming updates

#60 don mitsos

don mitsos

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 01 February 2019 - 01:27 PM

@ napo 2

it may seems like i am not that active on the forum but that doesn't mean i don't read whatever is worth to be read. 

@ nortom

1. It was surely a big improvement and the process seems good too. Maybe some minor changes should have been implemented but i think the whole procedure is on the right track.

2. Yes

3. If i am appointed i will try to resolve the biggest problem of this site, duplicate accounts

4. Yes

5. If it was live stratego i would say no but online... i think i can manage. As for the site rules i know things that are not allowed when most people believe they are  ;)

6. That is a big issue and i cannot fully answer it now. Let's say that i would prefer the rules not to allow such methods to be implemented.

• GaryLShelton likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users