TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 31 January 2019 - 03:14 PM

TemplateRex, do you feel that the Double Chase enforcement policy is useful to the quality of gameplay during a match of Stratego?

I feel that the ISF more squares rule is essential for quality game play in Stratego. I think that this site should implement this rule in its entirety. The current policy of players having to submit evidence is a second-best alternative, helps the player population in general, but is a waste of the MT's time. I have never experienced a double chase (only 1 draw refusal in 400+ games) but it could be that the mere threat of MT interference is enough for most players to not even try it.

What was Napoleon 1er's position on this? And what is Napeleon 2eme's position? (the only relevant thing for this thread IMO).

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#22 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 31 January 2019 - 03:20 PM

What was Napoleon 1er's position on this? And what is Napeleon 2eme's position? (the only relevant thing for this thread IMO).

As I understand the facts, the idea of Double Chase was brought to the previous MT, and generally speaking, there was an interest to open the discussion and to develop the idea. The conclusion being that Nap1 was part of the reason the discussion was derailed and never consummated.

#23 Napoleon 2ème

Napoleon 2ème

Lieutenant

• Swiss Tournament Manager
  • 543 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 31 January 2019 - 05:08 PM

I would like to underline a fact, that the doubts of some of you is that Napo1 has been a moderator ; I would like to underline few aspects about this, for example the fact that I wasn't even on the site during the time he has been there and I Don't know many things that have been made good or wrong by him. The only thing I know, is that I have seen Napo 1 very involved  in his job of moderator.

I say this to underline once again that me and him are 2 different persons with 2 different personalities and I think it is not right to say I can't make my proves in the MT and be "judged" in a negative way only because i'm the son of Napo 1.

In my opinion, every moderator wanted to be a moderator to make things better, to improve the site, and this is one thing I want to do too, so of course it is something Napo1 wanted to do too, but it doesn't mean we want to make it in the same way and change the same things…

For my part, I want to bring more people to the forum, tell them about the great Community that stays behind the game and that some maybe Don't know, this is my first objective.

I never lose, I win or I learn…

#24 rgillis783

rgillis783

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 31 January 2019 - 05:35 PM

The main reason I would like to know who is leaving is that it might make it easier to choose a replacement or find the proper one. It is my limited understanding that the MT is made up of a diverse group. Greek, Dutch, UK, USA etc... If we knew who was leaving -- more candidates may step forward. 

#25 Napoleon 2ème

Napoleon 2ème

Lieutenant

• 543 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 31 January 2019 - 05:46 PM

P.S.

I would have been far more impressed if Napster's son had opened an account as

D.ofWellington

or even Marshal Blücher

HI KMC

This is a pretty intersting note from you 

I came into this site when I knew I was coming to the WC in Naarden, I made this account to present myself, few time later, I created my account TheJedi which represent me more

#26 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,652 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 31 January 2019 - 05:57 PM

Being deemed fit is more important than diversity.

The best candidate should prevail. If considered equal, things like diversity may play a role.

We do not choose based on nationality - that'd be a racist procedure. Best candidate should prevail. Whoever that may be.

"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

See this thread for live gaming updates

See this thread my blog posts

#27 Napoleon 2ème

Napoleon 2ème

Lieutenant

• 543 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 31 January 2019 - 06:18 PM

Exactly, so why some of you are comparing me to my dad like if everything I'm doing dépends on him?

• Don_Homer likes this

#28 astros

astros

Stratego TM

• NASF Committee
  • 898 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 31 January 2019 - 06:33 PM

Can we get an alternate candidate, why do we have to pick a replacement right now?
  • KissMyCookie likes this
I'm in love with Stacy's mom.

#29 rgillis783

rgillis783

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 31 January 2019 - 06:45 PM

No not RACIST--- more practical do to the many lang. used --Nortrom. This has been used as a gauge for candidates in the past as I recall. I will NOT derail thread for this. As Nortrom now states --ALL candidates welcome  NO preference on nationality. Note race and nationalities are separate sub groups. 

Being deemed fit is more important than diversity.

The best candidate should prevail. If considered equal, things like diversity may play a role.

We do not choose based on nationality - that'd be a racist procedure. Best candidate should prevail. Whoever that may be.

• Don_Homer likes this

#30 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 31 January 2019 - 07:58 PM

...the fact that I wasn't even on the site during the time he has been there and I Don't know many things that have been made good or wrong by him. The only thing I know, is that I have seen Napo 1 very involved  in his job of moderator.

It really is not necessary to defend yourself whether you were on the site or not at the time your father was an MT. Your situation is rather unique in that your father resigned his place from the MT, and now, you who are so very young, would like to have the position for yourself. There is nothing wrong with your wanting a position, but naturally, you must expect questions and doubts to arise from the circumstances. The objective truth of the matter is that the more you defend, the more suspect you become. You must trust in the belief that all good things come in time.

Getting back to something about what you see as a possible way to improve this site:

For my part, I want to bring more people to the forum, tell them about the great Community that stays behind the game and that some maybe Don't know, this is my first objective.

I fully understand this point of view–I was on the committee of the NASF and I used to play more games than normal in an effort to get people interested in joining the forum (greet them on BattleChat and tell them about the forum)...this is nothing new. In fact, one may start to feel too much like a Jehovah's Witness after trying to get some new members here. So if this is your plan to make improvements here, this is hardly the kind of thing that will do it. From my experience, most people you will meet gameside are not the least bit interested in joining the Forum.

...why some of you are comparing me to my dad like if everything I'm doing dépends on him?

It is not that everything depends upon him, but you are living in the same house, and you are not a full grown adult in your own right just yet...it will happen in due time, but for now, it goes back to the unique nature of this situation.

I will pose two questions to you in a sincere effort to help focus this discussion on the crux of the matter:

Why is it so important for you to become an MT?

And:

I have asked you what you might suggest as a course of activity to improve this site, and the idea of bringing in new members is NOT a strong enough plan...it simply does not work well...so, understanding this objection, what other ideas do you have to share as part of your platform for being considered to be an MT?

Thank you in advance. :)

KMC

#31 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:47 PM

KMC, I find your objections to N2 uncalled for.

First, you write the rather condescending / patronizing (dictionary: apparently kind or helpful but betraying a feeling of superiority) passages:

There is something, however, that is a bit more subtle and is not something you will understand completely, nor will you agree with it, but any of us who had left our home and our parents, to go live on our own, or have gone out into the world to seek employment so that we may be a contributing on a more individual plane, will understand that a youth living at home is not yet fully his/her own person. Life simply is not this way.

[...]

Even if you two are passing ships at night at sea, you are still living under his roof, and this does not mean that he commands you as a puppet-master–I am sure that he is proud of you, and that he respects you, as well as loves you–I said before, you seem to me to be a very fine lad...there is no doubt. The connection, however, cannot be ignored and the result is that there are questions about it.

So N2 is too young, too immature to even understand what you (and the other adults...) are saying. But secondly, if he does respond to that you write, you come back with the unbeatable argument that he not only is "too young", but also "tries too hard":

It really is not necessary to defend yourself whether you were on the site or not at the time your father was an MT. Your situation is rather unique in that your father resigned his place from the MT, and now, you who are so very young, would like to have the position for yourself. There is nothing wrong with your wanting a position, but naturally, you must expect questions and doubts to arise from the circumstances. The objective truth of the matter is that the more you defend, the more suspect you become. You must trust in the belief that all good things come in time.

This is the kind of logical fallacy that was used in the old witchcraft trial by drowning: if they float, they are witches, if they sink, they are not. Either way, you win. You start with the non-sequitur of age and parent-son as a reason for unfitness, and if he tries to refute it you blame him for defending himself. That's rich.

Edited by TemplateRex, 01 February 2019 - 12:26 AM.

• Don_Homer, Nortrom, Napoleon 1er and 1 other like this

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#32 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,129 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:28 PM

I feel it is inappropriate for you to be on the MT when the majority of forum members are opposed to your father being a moderator, particularly considering that you still live with him.

Thoughts?

No offense intended and nothing personal, but IMO this is a bunch of BS, quite truthfully. This has nothing to do with anything. 

No doubt Napo Jr. is influenced by his father's thinking, but he is old enough to think for himself and form opinions , and he is an entirely different person.

• Don_Homer and Napoleon 1er like this
WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series! :D

#33 Napoleon 2ème

Napoleon 2ème

Lieutenant

• 543 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:28 PM

Getting back to something about what you see as a possible way to improve this site:

I fully understand this point of view–I was on the committee of the NASF and I used to play more games than normal in an effort to get people interested in joining the forum (greet them on BattleChat and tell them about the forum)...this is nothing new. In fact, one may start to feel too much like a Jehovah's Witness after trying to get some new members here. So if this is your plan to make improvements here, this is hardly the kind of thing that will do it. From my experience, most people you will meet gameside are not the least bit interested in joining the Forum.

It is not that everything depends upon him, but you are living in the same house, and you are not a full grown adult in your own right just yet...it will happen in due time, but for now, it goes back to the unique nature of this situation.

I will pose two questions to you in a sincere effort to help focus this discussion on the crux of the matter:

Why is it so important for you to become an MT?

And:

I have asked you what you might suggest as a course of activity to improve this site, and the idea of bringing in new members is NOT a strong enough plan...it simply does not work well...so, understanding this objection, what other ideas do you have to share as part of your platform for being considered to be an MT?

Thank you in advance. :)

KMC

Hi KMC

The point is that I am not the kind of person you who you can make critics and who will not answer back trying to get the real point of it, I really have the feeling that people isn't properly against me, but against the fact that my father was a moderator and this is not right to me… I would understand if Napo1 had asked to become moderator again, but this is not the case, I am another person…

The fact that I'm living with him shouldn't be a point to decide if I can or not become a moderator, as I have already said, e are very separated on this site, both of us say their thoughts, we make our own pairing in the tourney and play our games without switching accounts to eachothers, I Don't see why, if I become a moderator, I should ask him to do my job as it is me who had chosen to answer the open call to become moderator.

I can understand the fact that some thinks I am too Young, but isn't Yellowhat Younger than me? I wasn't there when he got promoted, but it seems to me that everyone is pretty happy of what he is doing as moderator.. isn't it?

2) OKay, here I understand that this motivation can be seen more as a bonus than as a solid plan, so I will make a summary of some ideas I have in mind

a) Let's start my first plan with a little story which could allow some of you to know me a bit better, I want to become a scientist policeman ( so the guy who makes the analysis for the police) ; I want to do this because i guess it is not "cool" that there are victims and people doing what they want trough laws. Here it is more or less the same thing (probably less drammatic) but I guess that a victim of an abuse will slowly lose the willing to play the game while the abuser will increase all the time. So I engage myself to spend my time to work on it and make a way to allow the victim to enjoy the game again like if Nothing happened and convince the abuser not to start again.

B) This one is still to be determinated, but it would be to focus on promoting dissuasive rules, with this I mean that it could be nice to ask the creators of the game to add a page in the screen menu of stratego (where you have chat, players friends,....)  which would be rules, where it explain better what is allowed and what isn't writing the penality there are. In that way, I think some abuser or future abuser would maybe think twice before ruining a match.

c) If it is possible to get in touch with the creators, add a new league, like "legen" or "champion" or another name that the Community could like for players over 1000+ or 900+ if it is better to keep going with steps of 20 points.

About your 2 questions :

1) I guess that the importance in my case, is Simply the love of the game, and with this I mean that when I was Younger, it was a game I played a bit randomly, now it's a game I play because I like it, and like everything you like, you want it to be like you like and if possible a bit better.

#34 Napoleon 2ème

Napoleon 2ème

Lieutenant

• 543 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:32 PM

The objective truth of the matter is that the more you defend, the more suspect you become. You must trust in the belief that all good things come in time.

I only want to come back on this, if I hadn't talked at all, it would have been said for sure that if I Don't answer is because I Don't know how to defend myself… so in both case I would not have the possibilty to win…

I guess that a Star Wras quote here, is welcome : do or do not, there is no try

#35 UnladenSwallow

UnladenSwallow

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:39 PM

CHmmGQqUAAAN6N9.jpg

• Don_Homer and Napoleon 1er like this

#36 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,652 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:45 PM

Can we get an alternate candidate, why do we have to pick a replacement right now?

Each forum member is invited to announce his/her candidacy.

No not RACIST--- more practical do to the many lang. used --Nortrom. This has been used as a gauge for candidates in the past as I recall. I will NOT derail thread for this. As Nortrom now states --ALL candidates welcome  NO preference on nationality. Note race and nationalities are separate sub groups. 

Just Europe alone has many languages. Dutch. German. French. Spanish. Italian. Greek. Portugese, Norwegian, Danish, Swedish and so on. 

All but Greek use the same character set. I have no idea how to make GR characters. I can use a translate service to translate French insults. Then there also is Russian, Chinese.. that also use different characters. 

All in all, yes, I suppose it would be ideal to have, for example, a mod from GR. But really, the best candidate should prevail. There are always workarounds (some members can offer translation services for the few cases a year for example).

• rgillis783 likes this

#37 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 710 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:47 PM

yoda-advice-featured-1.jpg

Lets not put alternative facts Mr Swallow :)

Do or Do Not. There Is No Try.
  • rgillis783 likes this

#38 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,652 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:57 PM

Hi KMC

I really have the feeling that people isn't properly against me, but against the fact that my father was a moderator and this is not right to me… I would understand if Napo1 had asked to become moderator again, but this is not the case, I am another person…

You stated you & N1 have the same interest in improvements. It is basically N1 again. People want to hear/see that you think you'll do a better job than N1. Many will perceive that this is not a difficult goal to achieve, but those who were not happy with N1, will not be happy with someone promising more of the same.

The fact that I'm living with him shouldn't be a point to decide if I can or not become a moderator, as I have already said, e are very separated on this site, both of us say their thoughts, we make our own pairing in the tourney and play our games without switching accounts to eachothers, I Don't see why, if I become a moderator, I should ask him to do my job as it is me who had chosen to answer the open call to become moderator.

Some may feel that this can put you in a tough spot, and also potentially be influenced by N1. I don't think this would be the case, but it is a burden you can not possibly overcome against the critics.

a) Let's start my first plan with a little story which could allow some of you to know me a bit better, I want to become a scientist policeman ( so the guy who makes the analysis for the police) ; I want to do this because i guess it is not "cool" that there are victims and people doing what they want trough laws. Here it is more or less the same thing (probably less drammatic) but I guess that a victim of an abuse will slowly lose the willing to play the game while the abuser will increase all the time. So I engage myself to spend my time to work on it and make a way to allow the victim to enjoy the game again like if Nothing happened and convince the abuser not to start again.

B) This one is still to be determinated, but it would be to focus on promoting dissuasive rules, with this I mean that it could be nice to ask the creators of the game to add a page in the screen menu of stratego (where you have chat, players friends,....)  which would be rules, where it explain better what is allowed and what isn't writing the penality there are. In that way, I think some abuser or future abuser would maybe think twice before ruining a match.

We have the GS&FR (General Site & Forum Rules). Upon infringements, people are sent a warning letter which explains that their displayed behavior has led to this and that continuation of such behavior will result into more severe sanctions. How would you improve that? (besides textual changes). Adding those players to your friendlist and talking to them (if you even meet them at the same time..) will tire you out. Note that MT has not much say over pages/menus etc)

c) If it is possible to get in touch with the creators, add a new league, like "legen" or "champion" or another name that the Community could like for players over 1000+ or 900+ if it is better to keep going with steps of 20 points.

Small cosmetic thing. This isn't really convincing I think.

#39 Losermaker

Losermaker

Captain

• Moderators
  • 917 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:07 PM

I am the mod that is leaving. I knew my time could be short lived when I started in August of 2018 as I was finishing my high school studies and intended to continue studying through university. Well that time has come around and I will no longer be able to dedicate as much time to the forum, or stratego in general for that matter. It was a great learning experience being part of the MT and I can't thank the guys enough for their help and support. They made me feel welcome in a sometimes challenging role, and were quick to forget my mistakes. It was a short stint, but perhaps one day I will have more time again and would be able to return (should of course the community want such ;)).

I hope for the best for whoever may be the new mod and wan't to thank everyone for putting up with me :D

Cheers,

Losermaker

• GaryLShelton, Nortrom, Morx and 5 others like this

#40 UnladenSwallow

UnladenSwallow

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:07 PM

I have a dream that one day this website will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "The best digital version of the old board game classic"

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Waterloo, the sons of former marshals, and the sons of former generals, will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Reportopia, a forum sweltering with the heat of timewasters, sweltering with the heat of abuse, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little sergeants will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their army but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today!

I have a dream that one day down in Platinum, with its vicious cheaters, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of setup scouting and lotto, that one day right down in Platinum little red scouts and red miners will be able to join hands with little blue scouts and blue miners as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today! 

And when this happens, and when we allow freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of Jumbo's children, red marshals and blue marshals, 10 piece and 40 piece players, casuals and pros, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Stratego spiritual, "Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"

Edited by UnladenSwallow, 31 January 2019 - 10:08 PM.

• GaryLShelton, Napoleon 1er and texaspete09 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users