Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 28 January 2019 - 01:05 AM

Hi All, 

I got very lucky today and found a way to win when I was way behind in the endgame.  I thought it might be a good learning experience for novice players if I showed how I did it by posting it as a puzzle to solve.  

The board was laid out as shown below.  Blue to move.

The question: if you're Blue, what is your next move, what is your strategy, and what mistake are you hoping your opponent will make?

When someone posts the correct answer, I'll confirm.  Enjoy!

invader2.png

Edited by Lord Invader, 28 January 2019 - 01:15 AM.

• Yellowhat likes this

#2 Lord Invader

Lord Invader

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 28 January 2019 - 01:07 AM

BTW, I had "verified" the back three bombs with my Captain, then Marshal, then another Scout in an effort to win that game before this point.  :D

#3 Fairway

Fairway

General

• Moderators
  • 2,963 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 28 January 2019 - 03:09 AM

Move the miner from F5 -> F6, and hope he takes it with his lieutenant (F7 -> F6) 

This allows you to move your scout I7 -> C7

He is forced to move B8 -> C8 to block your scout

You move C7 -> B7

He moves C8 -> B8

You move B7 -> C7

He moves B8 -> C8 (His 3rd move alternating between two squares)

You move C7 -> B7 ( Your 3rd move alternating between two sqares)

He cannot move to B8 to block your scout, this allows you to move B7 -> B9 and then B9 -> C9

Victory!

• Lord Invader likes this
WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series! :D

#4 UnladenSwallow

UnladenSwallow

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:07 AM

I reckon it's a win for red.
  • texaspete09 likes this

#5 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 28 January 2019 - 11:21 AM

I reckon it's a win for red.

Josh, it should be a win for red, but as Lord Invader explained, he won his match because red made a huge mistake.

This is the trouble with players like you :huh: ...you're so polished and experienced that you have forgotten how irrational silver through at least mid-gold players can be.  :lol:

It seems Fairways description is how the match must have played out. ;)

Now, please...stop smelling of elderberries and get thee to a nunnery...oh wait...I think it is supposed to a creamery.

KMC :ph34r:

• Lord Invader likes this

#6 Don_Homer

Don_Homer

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 28 January 2019 - 11:56 AM

Josh, it should be a win for red, 

Interesting view KMC. Can you elaborate how red would win this? 

Molto Bene, Thats a nica Donut !

#7 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,515 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 28 January 2019 - 12:22 PM

Three pieces near the flag leaves two to eliminate the miner. 5 pieces, also given this bomb set up, is sufficient to trap the scout. 

• KissMyCookie and Lord Invader like this
"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

See this thread for live gaming updates

#8 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,104 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 28 January 2019 - 03:11 PM

Interesting view KMC. Can you elaborate how red would win this? 

You're joking, right? Or, are you simply hoping I cannot answer? Either way, this is a very silly question. Nortrom has weighed in already, but yes, two pieces to capture the known miner. Red moves marshal to D8 so as to secure the open flag first. Then, red is free to go after the known miner. With the bomb at A8, and the captain at B8, minimizes any possible assault from the left flank...the marshal and lieutenant (or any other piece, depending on how the hunt for the miner went) in the center would have that lane blocked down...right flank can also accommodate two pieces. Once that is done, the scout is toast.

R–you're a seasoned enough player to know this, but asking to see if I know is not only a waste of time, but cannot have any possible positive value.

My question to you:

Why are you asking me this?

#9 UnladenSwallow

UnladenSwallow

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted 28 January 2019 - 03:56 PM

Nw q: with an additional scout for blue would this still ne a red win or would it be a draw?
  • TemplateRex likes this

#10 Fairway

Fairway

General

• Moderators
  • 2,963 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 28 January 2019 - 04:03 PM

I got very lucky today and found a way to win when I was way behind in the endgame. 

The question: if you're Blue, what is your next move, what is your strategy, and what mistake are you hoping your opponent will make?

I don't think a lot of you understand the question. With perfect play red wins, of course. But he states here that for the quiz one must identity an error by the opponent that allowed him to win in an upset.

WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series! :D

#11 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,104 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 28 January 2019 - 04:07 PM

Fairway–the question was understood, and answered. The follow-up question of Ruben is something apparently you do not understand.

#12 Lord Invader

Lord Invader

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 28 January 2019 - 05:25 PM

Full marks to Fairway.  Here's how it played out:

1. F5>F6 / F7xF6 (The fatal mistake)
  2. I7>C7 / B8>C8 (Scout forces Captain to start 2-square shuffle)
  3. C7>B7 / C8>B8
  4. B7>C7 / B8>C8
  5. C7>B7 / !! (2-Square Rule prevents Captain from moving back to B8 to block)
  6. B7>B9 / C8>B8
  7. B9xC9 - Blue wins

I've won a few games lately with similar moves.  I'll move a Scout in front of an opponent's high piece that's blocking a lane, and then move a low piece up the lane next to the opponent's.  He'll almost always move aside to capture my piece, and then I shoot the Scout deep into his field.

I think there are a couple of important tactical considerations novices can learn from this example:

• Always hoard a Scout (or more) for the endgame.  Always.
  • Keep an eye on the graveyard and keep track of whether your opponent has a Scout in the field (this may be where my opponent made his crucial error.  He may not have realized I had a Scout in position, as I crept him up the right flank like a miner).
  • 2-Square Rule: I could force my opponent to start the 2-square shuffle by moving diagonal to him b/c he was compelled to protect his flag.
  • Sometimes you can entice an opponent to move a piece out of the way of your Scout, so your Scout can gain information - or win the game.

Really, though, I should have lost this one.  I moved my Miner quickly after his previous move to speed up the tempo and make him react reflexively, which he did.

Edited by Lord Invader, 28 January 2019 - 05:33 PM.

• Fairway and Yellowhat like this

#13 Lord Invader

Lord Invader

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 28 January 2019 - 05:48 PM

I also wanted to point out to novices that if Red's Captain had been at C8 my Scout could not have won the game by moving to B7 b/c by doing so I would have started the 2-square shuffle, b/c my Scout would have been the first to cross the "B-C meridian" of the shuffle.  To lock an opponent's piece, he has to be the one who initiates the shuffle, and it's important to know how that works in regards to Scouts.

Edited by Lord Invader, 28 January 2019 - 05:49 PM.

• GaryLShelton likes this

#14 Don_Homer

Don_Homer

Captain

• Members
  • 854 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 28 January 2019 - 08:29 PM

Why are you asking me this?

Because I was curious if you would know. But we will never know since Nortrom answered for you. You made it look that you know better than US what the answer was, I found that peculiar. This because your rank is low and your other accounts are a mystery to many so we can not know how good you are. 

So what about a game? I hereby challenge you for a game. Lets see how much guts you have.

p.s. please call me Don.

• Napoleon 1er and TemplateRex like this

#15 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,104 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 28 January 2019 - 10:29 PM

Because I was curious if you would know. 

It was a stupid question and your motivation makes it rude.

But we will never know since Nortrom answered for you. You made it look that you know better than US what the answer was, I found that peculiar.

How you decided to interpret the matter is entirely your own affair, R. It says much more about you than it does about me. If you doubt me, that is your problem...not mine. Furthermore, I don't see how I made it look as though I knew more than anyone else here–I acknowledged the fact that Fairway has successfully solved Lord Invader's riddle with his excellent and very clear analysis. Also, I responded to Josh's post that it should have been a clear win for red–I claimed no credit for either event and fully gave the kudos to Fairway for the solution, and spoke with Josh about his variant.

Either you need to improve your skills for reading comprehension, or you are acting the role of an idiot.Which one is it, R.?

So what about a game? I hereby challenge you for a game. Lets see how much guts you have.

If you wanted to play me in a friendly, I would have been happy to oblige, and to lose to you gladly, but since you acted disingenuous, and treated this matter with disgraceful disregard, I really must wait for a period of time before I care to interact with you.

p.s. please call me Don.

No, I prefer to address you as I know you, but to respect a certain level of privacy, R.

Really, your behavior surprises me...you should have already understood something about me...I respond to sincerity that is delivered without bias. The fact that you tried to bait me, that you wanted to cause me some embarrassment, is of the lowest level of thinking. Having said that, I refuse to indulge your poor behavior as it was decidedly unfriendly. When you can understand these points, and when you feel the time is right to "make nice" with me, then we may have something to speak about.

You know, R., I did write to you in private messages, and then it became an apparent burden to you...it seemed as though I was imposing upon you and that it was not a favorable communication...I respected your feelings. Please return the favor...just be nice...not as this exchange has exposed...you have disappointed me deeply.

KMC

#16 Don_Homer

Don_Homer

Captain

• Members
  • 854 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:37 PM

Either you need to improve your skills for reading comprehension, or you are acting the role of an idiot.Which one is it, R.?

If you wanted to play me in a friendly, I would have been happy to oblige, and to lose to you gladly, but since you acted disingenuous, and treated this matter with disgraceful disregard, I really must wait for a period of time before I care to interact with you.

No, I prefer to address you as I know you, but to respect a certain level of privacy, R.

1. Obviously the idiot one.

2. Ok, let me know when youre ready.

3. This is most clearly bulls**t cause you didnt edit your post.

#17 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,104 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:48 PM

1. Obviously the idiot one.

It feels to me that you are not acting.

2. Ok, let me know when youre [sic] ready.

Not for a long time.

3. This is most clearly *bullshit cause [sic] you didnt [sic] edit your post.

Watch your language–there is no need for *swearing. The fact is I refuse to address you by your moniker, R., and the level of privacy I have indicated, which you claim is *untrue, is my simply not spelling out your name.

#18 UnladenSwallow

UnladenSwallow

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:47 PM

If Ruben asks you to address him by "Don" then why not do so? It's his wish. Likewise I prefer to be addressed as Josh. Everyone has their own unique preference. 

#19 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,515 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:50 PM

Would you guys have any objection(s) to taking this debate elsewhere, opposed to a quiz thread?

A PM would be my advice :).

"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

See this thread for live gaming updates

#20 UnladenSwallow

UnladenSwallow

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:54 PM

Quiz: Will the drama ever end?

No ! :D

Edited by UnladenSwallow, 29 January 2019 - 08:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users