New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Major

Posted 24 January 2019 - 11:44 PM

Hello Stratego Community,

First of all, my apologies if this is not the right place. I'm new here (both to the game and the forum) and I don't know where I should post.

The issue that I want to talk about is anxiety during the games. Obviously I am a new player and experience is not my "thing". My problem is that I feel nervous all the time when I try to play against other players. When I say nervous, I mean it. I have this feeling that sometimes I am sabotaging myself because then it is easier to play the game (once you know that you are in a worse condition than your opponent) and have fun.

Does anyone else feel the same? How do you overcome this feeling?

• Losermaker and L3AF like this

#2 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,129 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted 25 January 2019 - 12:30 AM

Firstly, your post is in the right place :)

I feel nervous before games, but only impactful games, such as ranked games when I'm trying to reach a certain ELO goal and especially tournament games. If I'm playing someone I, per say, "should beat" (someone lower in ELO than I am) I will usually be nervous before the game, but if it's someone higher than me, I'm not really nervous at all- excited would be the better description.

Friendly games are the aboslute least meaningful games on the site. Playing friendly games with those higher than you is a great way to increase your skill without any risk factor at all, whether it be by ELO rating on something else. I'd be happy to friend you and play some games!

Watching stratego videos is also a no-risk way to increase your skill. I'd recommend Maxroelofs' stratego videos- they helped me greatly in the bronze ranks. His youtube name is "Herbet De Groot". Dobby125 also publishes stratego tutorial videos (games with commentary and tips). Myself, Fks, Roeczak, and Napoleon1er also make videos and I'm sure there's more I couldn't think off of the top of my head.

Good luck! :)

• Losermaker and rgillis783 like this
WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series! :D

#3 Losermaker

Losermaker

Captain

• Moderators
  • 918 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 25 January 2019 - 12:31 AM

Hi Estef,

Welcome to the forum! you picked the right place to post ;)

I have had this many times and I think it is quite normal, especially when starting out and you are more uncertain of whether you are making the right moves etc. The ultimate time to test your nerves is in tournament games, which I really struggled with initially. I was playing well in ranks and within the top 10, but was getting knocked out of EVERY tournament before the 3rd round due to stupid mistakes that I would not normally make. These mistakes were caused by nerves.

Phychology is a massive part of Stratego, just like many other sports and things, if you feel under confident you will under-perform.

I think the time I finally got over my nerves was in the 1st Online World Championships. I found that there were a few things that helped me mentally.

Step 1 was to make sure that I kept this though process throughout the game:

• Remember that your opponent has the same pieces as you, and may be just as nervous.
  • You can only do so much to win, play relaxed and naturally and give it your best. If your opponent beats you on good play, that's hats off to him
  • Keep a strong determination to win, but know realistically when you are losing. i.e. If you are behind a captain and sergeant but up a lieutenant, know that you are behind but don't just say to yourself "I am losing and down material" instead keep it positive with a goal in mind, such as "I am down by that captain, let's focus on getting a captain, then I will be ahead again."

Step 2 was to find a time when you are more relaxed to play, for me this was night time when everything had calmed down for the day.

Step 3 was really just to enjoy yourself and remember it is a game! it is not all intense, but I guess "fun" can be defined by each player differently :).

I would be interested to hear other's thoughts on this also, I know Pim likes his special underwear ;)

• Fairway and L3AF like this

#4 Estef

Estef

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Major

Posted 25 January 2019 - 01:38 AM

Well, thank you both for your replies.

As I said, I'm not familiar with this forum, so I I'll try my best to answer you both using the appropriate format.

1)I feel nervous before games, but only impactful games,
2)when I'm trying to reach a certain ELO goal and especially tournament games.
3)If I'm playing someone I, per say, "should beat" (someone lower in ELO than I am) 
4) but if it's someone higher than me, I'm not really nervous at all- excited would be the better description.

5)Friendly games are the aboslute least meaningful games on the site.
6)Watching stratego videos is also a no-risk way to increase your skill. I'd recommend Maxroelofs' stratego videos- they helped me greatly in the bronze ranks.
7ish)Dobby125 also publishes stratego tutorial videos (games with commentary and tips). Myself, Fks, Roeczak, and Napoleon1er also make videos and I'm sure there's more I couldn't think off of the top of my head.

1) My issue is that I feel nervous before EVERY game!

2) I do not care about my ELO. I was introduced to this game when I was about 10 yo, I played with some friends for a while and then forgot about it for 10+ years. Now that I have exams, I remember that it was a funny way to "waste" my time when I was young, so I figured that I had nothing to lose if I tried it again.

3) Well, for someone new like me, everyone is the same. I've got victories over people that had 5000 games and then got crushed by someone who had 6 games :D
4) I have this feeling as well. If I play with someone who is (proved) more experienced than me, I can actually enjoy the game.

5) Ok, n00b here, how do I play "friendlies"?

6) This is how I started playing again. At first I watched a few videos of someone, whose play-style I didn't like and then youtube showed me Dobby. 1,5 speed, commentary, perfect!!!! Everything someone needs for a break from studying :D :D :D
7ish) Dobby's videos are really good, but everyone else either screams like they are playing FIFA or they have no commentary (sorry people, I fall asleep). 

8)... you are more uncertain of whether you are making the right moves etc.
9)...The ultimate time to test your nerves is in tournament games, which I really struggled with initially. 

10) Phychology is a massive part of Stratego, just like many other sports and things, if you feel under confident you will under-perform.

11) Remember that your opponent has the same pieces as you, and may be just as nervous.

12) Keep a strong determination to win, but know realistically when you are losing. 

13) ....I guess "fun" can be defined by each player differently...

8) From what I can understand, my mind doesn't like the fact that some times the mistakes I make are very obvious. I can understand that this is probably because of my (non existent) experience, but yet it is painfull to make "stupid" mistakes that cost you a game.
9) Tournament? Man, I am about to call an ambulance every time I play with a human player. A tournament is a no-go for me :D
10) Why does it feel so stressfull though? This is a honest question that I have. Why do I have to push myself every time I want to play a game.
11) Until you play with a Marshal Blitzer and after 10 moves you are down 23 majors and 54 captains :D
12) I agree with that. This is actually the only thing that I didn't like about the community here. I have played with people that cannot understand when they've lost.
13) So far for me, "fun" in this game is the suspense that I feel every time I move a single piece.

ANW, once again thanks for the replies. If I can keep something as my personal suggestion for the people here is that, since the community is pretty much closed, PLEASE if you have the option to upload videos on youtube with commentary or blogs with thoughts about the game, just do it! It is simple! People who do not care about the game will just skip these and people who are interested will find all these very interesting, if not helpfull.

P.S.
Sorry for bad English, not a native spea... bluh bluh bluh :D

#5 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,129 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted 25 January 2019 - 02:40 AM

As I said, I'm not familiar with this forum, so I I'll try my best to answer you both using the appropriate format.

2) I do not care about my ELO. I was introduced to this game when I was about 10 yo, I played with some friends for a while and then forgot about it for 10+ years. Now that I have exams, I remember that it was a funny way to "waste" my time when I was young, so I figured that I had nothing to lose if I tried it again.

3) Well, for someone new like me, everyone is the same. I've got victories over people that had 5000 games and then got crushed by someone who had 6 games :D
4) I have this feeling as well. If I play with someone who is (proved) more experienced than me, I can actually enjoy the game.

6) This is how I started playing again. At first I watched a few videos of someone, whose play-style I didn't like and then youtube showed me Dobby. 1,5 speed, commentary, perfect!!!! Everything someone needs for a break from studying :D :D :D
7ish) Dobby's videos are really good, but everyone else either screams like they are playing FIFA or they have no commentary (sorry people, I fall asleep). 

8) From what I can understand, my mind doesn't like the fact that some times the mistakes I make are very obvious. I can understand that this is probably because of my (non existent) experience, but yet it is painfull to make "stupid" mistakes that cost you a game.
9) Tournament? Man, I am about to call an ambulance every time I play with a human player. A tournament is a no-go for me :D
10) Why does it feel so stressfull though? This is a honest question that I have. Why do I have to push myself every time I want to play a game.
11) Until you play with a Marshal Blitzer and after 10 moves you are down 23 majors and 54 captains :D
12) I agree with that. This is actually the only thing that I didn't like about the community here. I have played with people that cannot understand when they've lost.
13) So far for me, "fun" in this game is the suspense that I feel every time I move a single piece.

Lol, what a funny response  :D

Sometimes I listen to music while I'm playing. It helps me to loosen up, and then focus on my gameplay. Maybe you could try the same? 

If you're really nervous before every single game then I'm not sure. Perhaps after you play a fair amount of games, you'll get more confidence (and playing will be less of a rarity), so you won't be as nervous?

Friendly games would be me sending you a friend request and us playing together  after I send you a challenge. We could try it sometime. I've sent you a friend request game-side.

WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series! :D

#6 L3AF

L3AF

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 25 January 2019 - 03:14 AM

I'm new too!! I always try to just play better than I did last game! Also recording your own games and learning from that obviously helps. All you can do is your best and over time we will improve!

#7 Lord Invader

Lord Invader

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 26 January 2019 - 12:06 AM

When I first started playing online, I was quite nervous with each game.  It felt like I was actually *under attack* almost like being physically threatened.  As I've become a better player, understand the game and how it works (2-Square Rule, 3-Square Rule, chasing, etc.) and common tactics of better players I've become more relaxed.

So I would say that as you become better you'll find that your nerves will settle down.

Good luck!  

#8 Napoleon 2ème

Napoleon 2ème

Lieutenant

• Swiss Tournament Manager
  • 543 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 26 January 2019 - 12:19 AM

ANW, once again thanks for the replies. If I can keep something as my personal suggestion for the people here is that, since the community is pretty much closed, PLEASE if you have the option to upload videos on youtube with commentary or blogs with thoughts about the game, just do it! It is simple! People who do not care about the game will just skip these and people who are interested will find all these very interesting, if not helpfull.

P.S.
Sorry for bad English, not a native spea... bluh bluh bluh :D

Hi Estef,

I personally had more or less your same "story" , in fact I was introduced to the stratego when I was a little child and I started playing agains "seriously" in August 2018 because I challenged my father to bring me with him to the Worl CHampionship.

I must say that I'm nervous more or less every single game, especiall if I am winning against a very good player , and this often brings me to make some mistakes. That's why I decided to record my games and post some on a YouTube channel, hoping that some players will be able to tell me if I won by luck and what could have been better and what is already good.

If you want, I can try to "teach" you the bases of the game and some strategies, you probably know that every player has a different style of playing (defensive, aggressive, bluffing,...). I can try to give you some tipps from my style and I guess that with solids bases, your anxiety will disappear slowly, in fact, when you are sure of what you are doing, you can't start being nervous.

I hope I helped you in some way and that I'll in the future

See you soon !

I never lose, I win or I learn…

#9 KnightofPepsi

KnightofPepsi

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 29 January 2019 - 01:16 AM

Welcome to the site and forum!

I don't mean to be nosy, but is your anxiety specific to Stratego? Or any game? Or life in general (I could relate to that when I was around your age.) 

If simply Stratego, then I think Napoleon's sig says it all... "I never lose, I win or I learn"  This kind of attitude helps me avoid any anxiety because I get something out of every game, and have a lot of fun. And knowing that I will have fun prevents anxiety.

If it's a bit more than that, then be honest with yourself and take steps to address it.

You seem like you have a great sense of humor... welcome again and hope to play sometime!

• Don_Homer likes this

#10 Don_Homer

Don_Homer

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:26 AM

Hello Stratego Community,

First of all, my apologies if this is not the right place. I'm new here (both to the game and the forum) and I don't know where I should post.

The issue that I want to talk about is anxiety during the games. Obviously I am a new player and experience is not my "thing". My problem is that I feel nervous all the time when I try to play against other players. When I say nervous, I mean it. I have this feeling that sometimes I am sabotaging myself because then it is easier to play the game (once you know that you are in a worse condition than your opponent) and have fun.

Does anyone else feel the same? How do you overcome this feeling?

Hi Estef,

Often I am excited for (important) games. In the past more than nowadays. Maybe a bit stressed sometimes too, but not really anxious. What may help you is to ask yourself, why do I feel anxious? What is it I am anxious for? What is the worst thing that could happen and would it really be so bad if you think it over again? Maybe this can help. Try to have fun and dont set the bar too high (that can always come later).

Greetings Don.

Molto Bene, Thats a nica Donut !

#11 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 04 February 2019 - 12:54 PM

I have played other board games competitively (draughts), and part of the anxiety comes from the competition, wanting to win, not knowing what your opponent is planning, having to make difficult decisions yourself etc.

In Stratego, I feel much more anxiety than with draughts. Partly because my skill / memory level is much lower and I make more mistakes. But also because of the hidden information character of the game. With draughts/chess you can analyse and be reasonably confident of your moves. Sure, you can make a blunder, and it is not a nice feeling, but the game is more or less transparent.

In Stratego, it is exciting to see what piece is hitting your piece, or vice versa. Most of such exchanges are relatively unimportant. But say when the marshal is revealed or you put your own marshal next to an unknown piece, or in the endgame, when you have to guess for the flag or lotto with a high piece to come back from behind, this uncertainty can generate anxiety.

It's only a problem though if it affects your decision making quality. Feeling anxious because you risk your marshal or last miner can also be helpful because your body warns you that you are making a big decision. So accept it and listen to your inner sense but also know when to ignore it (because the odds are in your favor).

If you feel anxious every time you hit an unknown piece with a sergeant in the opening, then that's not good, and you should relax and accept that this is how the game works. But if it's your last sergeant trying to find his last miner and it could be a bomb, think again and make a calculated risk. It's still exciting but you should know and accept this. 

Edited by TemplateRex, 04 February 2019 - 12:58 PM.

• Dobby125 likes this

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#12 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 04 February 2019 - 01:07 PM

I once read a discussion on a poker forum about Stratego, and there players were challenging each other for a "heads up match" for $10 a game. Does anyone here ever play for money? I'm sure this would make the game quite a bit more anxiety generating :)

Edited by TemplateRex, 04 February 2019 - 01:08 PM.

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#13 Napoleon 2ème

Napoleon 2ème

Lieutenant

• 543 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 04 February 2019 - 05:10 PM

I once read a discussion on a poker forum about Stratego, and there players were challenging each other for a "heads up match" for $10 a game. Does anyone here ever play for money? I'm sure this would make the game quite a bit more anxiety generating :)

If you consider that defeating Napo1 allowed me to go to Naarden… in a kind of way ^^

• TemplateRex likes this

#14 astros

astros

Stratego TM

• NASF Committee
  • 900 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 04 February 2019 - 05:36 PM

Drink until you cannot have feelings, problem solved.

Disclaimer: new liver may be necessary.

• Napoleon 2ème likes this
I'm in love with Stacy's mom.

#15 Napoleon 2ème

Napoleon 2ème

Lieutenant

• 543 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 04 February 2019 - 06:10 PM

Drink until you cannot have feelings, problem solved.

Disclaimer: new liver may be necessary.

A glass of alcool will maybe not give you an answer, but it can delete the question…  ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users