Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 24 January 2019 - 04:15 PM

Hello all, 

I have a question for you about dealing with annoying Marshal blitzers.

Dobby125 has a great strategy for dealing with these guys that is usually very effective:

1. Scout the General in the center (usually there)
  2. Block General with either your General/Marshal (while your opponent's Marshal is moving down your flank)
  3. Bring up your Marshal/General to accompany your other high piece
  4. Capture opponent's General w/your Marshal (your Marshal will get killed by his Spy)
  5. Capture the opponent's Spy w/your General
  6. Attack w/your General in the direction opposite of the Spy's approach (if the Spy moved sideways, attack up; if the Spy attacked vertically, move sideways).  You'll almost always capture a Colonel that was waiting there anticipating a General trade-off
  7. Gut the opponent's field, moving towards the corner from which the Marshal attacked

Most of the time these guys aren't very skilled players, and once you have done this maneuver you stand a very good chance of winning the game.  There usually aren't any bombs on the flag side of the field.

The question is: what if he senses what you are up to, and his Marshal is not out of position? What would you do?  Would you have a Colonel ready to move in from the center as well?

See this screenshot, which illustrates a possible scenario.  You are Blue; Blue to move.

marshal-blitz3.png

It seems like his Marshal would be able to block you from reaching the corner; since that's the case, I think I'd try to have a Colonel ready to go.  If you were up a Colonel (as you should be at this point) this seems like the best course of action and seems failsafe.

What do you think?

Edited by Lord Invader, 24 January 2019 - 04:47 PM.

#2 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,515 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 24 January 2019 - 04:54 PM

I've never found this to be effective, it requires you to have the flexibility and time to bring both the marshal and the general towards the center. Often not the case

Even worse: it can be countered by placing a small piece (sergeant for example, would be a nice bomb guard, too) behind the general and putting the colonel next to that ( G8 ).

• Lord Invader likes this
"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

See this thread for live gaming updates

#3 Lord Invader

Lord Invader

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 24 January 2019 - 09:50 PM

I'm usually able to bring either my General or Marshal up right away; otherwise I put a bluff up there until I'm able to get into position.  Often, I can do it before they figure out what's going on and move their Marshal into position; I'm usually mainly worried about hitting a bomb w/my General once I break through.

Do you have an alternative strategy for defeating this type of setup, Nortrom?

Edited by Lord Invader, 24 January 2019 - 09:50 PM.

#4 tobermoryx

tobermoryx

Major

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 25 January 2019 - 01:00 AM

Your set up has to match your strategy. You can only do some sort of blitz counter attack if you have your high pieces ready to go with nothing in their way.

I prefer to pick apart their weakest side and not make any big counter attack. Keep Marsh and Gen hidden. Putting a bluff piece in the centre is good but if their General is sitting in the usual place I would just leave him there all game. If you think you are playing a blitzer then the main thing to do is have your flag in a central area.

There are some players on ELO 1000 that basically play Marshal Blitz, but their set ups are not the ones you see every time from the 400 players and any big counter attack you make is unlikely to get very far.

#5 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,515 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 25 January 2019 - 07:59 AM

Basically what Tobermoryx said.
"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

See this thread for live gaming updates

#6 Lord Invader

Lord Invader

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 25 January 2019 - 04:01 PM

Thanks for your perspective.  I'll try it next time.  It just seems too tedious and, more importantly, time-consuming, to clear their weak side before they are able to move through to your flag.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users