Photo

New MT member approval

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you feel ☆OVERLORD☆ will do a good job as MT member? (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you feel ☆OVERLORD☆ will do a good job as MT member?

1. Yes (25 votes [83.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

2. No (5 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote

#1 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,572 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:37 PM

Dear community,

As a result of this thread the MT has invited player ☆OVERLORD☆ to join the MT. We feel he fulfills the requirements and is willing to invest time into learning and executing the challenging task of MT.

We do however like to see community approval for all newly appointed moderators and thus will open a poll which will last for roughly 7 days.

The options in the poll are "yes" and "no". The question is whether you feel ☆OVERLORD☆ will do a fine job as MT; thus pronouncing confidence (or lack of..) in said individual.

The MT
(GaryLShelton, Major Nelson, Nortrom, Yellowhat, Losermaker)

OVERLORD☆ will also undergo a cosmetic change, by removing the first star from his name which will make it much easier to find and PM him on the forum.

• GaryLShelton and Fks like this

"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

See this thread for live gaming updates

See this thread my blog posts

#2 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:48 PM

I feel hesitant about it. On the one hand, Overlord has of course all the technical skills to adjudicate chasing/draw refusals and other playing disputes.

But in the past his style of communication has sometimes been quite abrupt. Case in point: his reaction to Sniper posting a video of him where there was a dispute over the permission. The post is now removed so I can't show it but it was not a polite request. Also he often engages in "trash talk" vs other players (with mild insults such as "noob" etc.). Look at this week's game against Fks e.g. 

I don't question his integrity (all the examples I mention were probably made without bad intent) but the end result can be quite intimidating for new and much lower ranked players (Fks probably likes this type of exchange even, but that's beside the point).

If he is to join the MT, I think he should be very much aware of the impact that his writing on this forum have and behave in a consistent style both as a player and as a MT member.

I look forward to Overlord's own thoughts on the example that he wants to set and the impact that he wants to have as an MT member. 

• Don_Homer, texaspete09 and astros like this

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#3 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 16 January 2019 - 05:08 PM

I was not planning on making a post, just to vote yes but since I was mentioned I would like to point out my conversations with Overlord regarding this past game is something called friendly banter (I personnaly did not see it any other way and I am surprised the context was missed honestly). Overlord has taught me alot regarding Stratego, he is someone I consider a friend and can't wait to destroy him in person by the Patras tournament!

• OVERLORD likes this
Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#4 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 16 January 2019 - 05:41 PM

I was not planning on making a post, just to vote yes but since I was mentioned I would like to point out my conversations with Overlord regarding this past game is something called friendly banter (I personnaly did not see it any other way and I am surprised the context was missed honestly). Overlord has taught me alot regarding Stratego, he is someone I consider a friend and can't wait to destroy him in person by the Patras tournament!

Thanks, I figured as much. My point however was the appearance of such banter to the larger community.
  • Nortrom likes this

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#5 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:09 PM

Also he often engages in "trash talk" vs other players (with mild insults such as "noob" etc.). Look at this week's game against Fks e.g. 

That is a particularly poor example, TempRex for the very simple reason that Fks and J.V. are friends. This is the most appropriate place for any kind of "trash-talk," and Fks is one of the people who supports the reality of "trash-talk" existing.

There is no question that J.V. is an amazing and one of the most highly skilled players on this site. My reservation is the level of his maturity–maturity, by definition, is an on-going process which requires much time before yielding benefits. His past activities brought him a certain level of infamy, but since that time has passed, he has developed his skill as a Stratego player to a very high level of respectability. On the other hand, his bravado (the Hielco matter), was not handled in the style of a mature adult, but then again, J.V. is not yet quite a full grown adult...neither is Yellowhat or maybe Losermaker, but both the latter keep their social decorum at a high, respectful, and admirable level.

And, yes...it really does matter.

So, this is a good time to discuss this, but as the MT now has a precedent for removing other MT, I do not see why a probationary period is not given as a part of a new MT's role, and even if J.V. adopts a "new" style of behavior for such a period of time, it may turn out to be a very good thing for him, and for all.

• Fairway, texaspete09, OVERLORD and 2 others like this

#6 Napoleon 2ème

Napoleon 2ème

Lieutenant

• Swiss Tournament Manager
  • 515 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:29 PM

For my part, I guess it's a great opportunity that the world champion become Moderator, he seems motivated and I'm sure he can only improve the site.

Out of the game, there is the human, and this person, came to me immediately even without knowing me and immediately accepted to give me tipps when he could take his time to do some other things probably more important of his time. This short story shows that he will for sure take part of his time to judge, discuss, improve the site, ect...

• OVERLORD likes this
I never lose, I win or I learn…

#7 OVERLORD

OVERLORD

Lieutenant

• Moderators
  • 722 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:33 PM

Hello to all. First of all, thank you for the positive comments on my face, but also for any disagreements you may have. Everything is welcomed with respect.

Personally, I want to publicly state that I am available to offer my skills, knowledge and time for the best of this site. Surely I've made mistakes in the past (like all of us), surely I will do more, but the most important thing in my opinion is not to hurt anyone, to recognize , to correct and to restrict them.
One learns from each other in life and I am sure that alongside this wonderful team, I will be very well acquainted with the work I'm going to take. Trust me and you will not be disappointed by my odds.

Thank you and I wish everyone good continuity.

Kind regards,
John.

• Don_Homer, Napoleon 1er, Fairway and 6 others like this
STRATEGO CAPTAINS CLUB ~ the strongest team of Greece

#8 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,204 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:19 AM

[...] I do not see why a probationary period is not given as a part of a new MT's role, and even if J.V. adopts a "new" style of behavior for such a period of time, it may turn out to be a very good thing for him, and for all.

The probationary thing is a good thing to mention, KMC. Thank you. Everyone, no matter who, will be in a probationary period. And it goes both ways. We have to see any new moderator, and he us. If it's not spelled it officially, probation is assumed by all, I suppose.

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#9 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,786 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 17 January 2019 - 08:27 AM

My vote is a clear yes. OverLord has made mistakes on this website, even very big cheating, and has paid it with a ban. This was very long time ago in 2013. Since then he has shown a very strong passion for this game and a very regular presence o this forum. Except some possible use of harsh language in some cases he has definitely grown in maturity and has learned from his mistakes. He is demonstrating high level of motivation for this role in MT and I'm sure that by having done all possible mistakes he knows perfectly what is right and what is wrong. We can give him a 1 month probatory period but I'm convinced he will succeed.
... Only thing I want to tell him: do not join MT with the spirit of being "first everywhere". MT is an activity where team spirit and knowing how to be humble are the most important competencies. You will not be "first" in MT.
Good luck in your new role!
  • GaryLShelton and Losermaker like this
If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#10 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,572 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 17 January 2019 - 10:03 AM

Only thing I want to tell him: do not join MT with the spirit of being "first everywhere". MT is an activity where team spirit and knowing how to be humble are the most important competencies. You will not be "first" in MT.
Good luck in your new role!

This is something the new MT especially holds in high regard. Possibly one of the key factors of success.

• dutchkillers, Losermaker, texaspete09 and 4 others like this

"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

See this thread for live gaming updates

See this thread my blog posts

#11 UnladenSwallow

UnladenSwallow

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted 17 January 2019 - 05:59 PM

I like OL but he's not moderator material.

Personally I don't believe previously banned players should be mods. It sets a bad prescedent and a poor example. Additionally while the "trolling" posts by ol, fks and myself are considered normal to the community, an outsider might be very surprised by these posts and wouldn't expect those type of posts from a forum representative. Don't forget about half the people making these cases are not active on the forum and are unaware what is considered normal.

It's not too important what happened 6 years ago, but recently he had violated the alias register a year ago and doesn't have the most professional experience to forum outsiders. These should disqualify him -- at least until there is 1 year of clean activity.

IMO being a mod is very unlike other staff positions. One is expected to always have a public and professional presense. MT has access to some confidential information that other staff don't have.

Maybe in the future but I will vote no today.

#12 rgillis783

rgillis783

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 17 January 2019 - 09:02 PM

If OL wants to be a MT member I have no issue with it. Just to be clear--OL will supplement the MT team or be replacing a member ? I think US brought up some points about OL past which should be out there for others to see. I myself would lean toward --live and learn motto---for most of us.  Being a MT member is as US pointed out a very high profile spot were you may be asked to judge cases against--family,friends,associates and enemies ! Good luck any which way things go. ;)

#13 astros

astros

Stratego TM

• NASF Committee
  • 867 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 18 January 2019 - 12:39 AM

I don't like the idea of Major Nelson and Overlord both being on the MT. They are friends and interact with a number of offline players, given the drama of Greek Stratego clubs allowing a potential 40% voting bloc to form is a poor choice.
  • UnladenSwallow likes this
I'm in love with Stacy's mom.

#14 Losermaker

Losermaker

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:25 AM

Major Nelson has to leave due mostly to study requirements, he would be replaced by Overlord. The MT always tries to have atleast 1 member of the MT as Greek due to quite a number of abuse cases needing Greek translations.

• Don_Homer, Napoleon 1er, Yellowhat and 1 other like this

#15 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,204 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 18 January 2019 - 08:18 AM

I like OL but he's not moderator material.
Personally I don't believe previously banned players should be mods)

Thank you for expressing these thoughts. All sides need to be heard.

The issue of being a formerly banned member is an interesting one here. It would indeed be a precedent.

OVERLORD was indeed PB'd by a previous MT and then reinstated by a different group sometime later, all of it prior to my joining the MT in late 2014. When I first began we had no sunset clause for a PB; it was forever. Now we have one after 12 months, the gist of it being that someone can have penalties forgiven after one year.

We do not have an actual, specific rule against a formerly PB'd member becoming a mod. Since that is the case one would surely have to say that we cannot automatically rule OL out merely upon his previous PB. Of course, this lack of a rule could be remedied--and maybe it still should be--but if we choose to ignore the PB matter, it opens up opportunities, technically, for all PB'd members. That's just the logical extension of any sunset policy.

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#16 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 18 January 2019 - 10:42 AM

One must also take into account the individual, not just the PB exclusively. This idea that once any player, regardless of circumstance, has received a PB, that they are a pariah forever, is pompous and irresponsible; and those who advocate this punishment for eternity, for me, their sentiments wreak of self-righteous indignation, and a holier than thou arrogance. Their argument will always boil down to, "Well they were banned and I wasn't, and that's all that matters." That is a crock of crap of the worst kind, and it is a non-argument. It is one thing to ban a player such as trickz because he categorically refuses to adapt his modus operandi in spite of numerous pleas, and has even admitted that he prefers to indulge his nastiness, even at the risk of hurting younger players–he's not a bad guy, and he is fun, and he can be very nice, but there is no excuse for imposing his level of communication on unsuspecting players. You may also be sure to keep a tight leash on a player such as walhall for his destructive behavior which resulted in chasing away a model member of the forum for no other reason than pure nastiness and a racially motivated platform. These are truly egregious offenses.

Cheating, and being caught at it, and then being banned as a result of it–yes, this is a bad one. As the old adage goes, "Nobody likes a cheater." I certainly do not. On the other hand, it is not even close to being tantamount to murder, or drug trafficking. Give me break. The worst thing that happens is that the victim loses a match, and then must deal with the frustration of having been victimized. A cheater is a loser and cannot maintain any credible level of standing: they will never have the skill of a maxroelofs, or an UnladenSwallow, or a Nortrom, or a Hielco, or an OVERLORD. They simply cannot attain that level without cheating–and if any quality player, for example, josephwhite, who is constantly running into suspected cheaters, he may lose ELO points for the loss, but he always manages to climb back to his established level. Cheating IS a problem, but it is one very easily handled compared with verbal assaults and horrendous threats via chat. Cheaters are generally caught rather quickly, and with tournaments having all of the procedures to deal with such events, there is usually swift and effective justice. Please don't even try to argue that this is about honor and respectability, and that these are the foundation of so on and so forth...this is a gaming site! Some of the time, it seems that those who accuse someone of cheating, get the verdict against the offender they want, and then see the punishment meted out, usually are standing around gloating, or wanting to throw the torch on the bonfire, or pull the lever to hang the convicted, or any number of other self-satisfying methods to relieve their feelings of frustration.

The fact that a 13 or 14 year old youth gets convicted for cheating and is banned, then a few years later makes a return and gives up the path of cheating in favor of fair play, who wants to develop into an upstanding young adult, and who willingly takes responsibility for past actions, invests in setting things right by being a model and honest player...(being an early teenager compared with someone at the end of the teen years is a significant difference)...I believe such a person should be afforded the chance to demonstrate through their words but especially their actions, their commitment to being honest, objective, thoughtful, and responsible. We must also trust in the MT that they will be vigilant, objective, and honorable to their role of SERVING this community. This was the greatest failing of the previous MT–when they were under fire from the community, they closed ranks and turned their backs on the very community they were supposed to be serving. The current MT has demonstrated greater strength and leadership by forging closer ties with the community.

Is J.V. MT material? I really don't know whether he is or is not, but I know that there is a procedure in place to remove an MT that has become a detriment to the community, and with the MT panel as it is now composed, I have great confidence in them to serve our community, and to address issues which may arise as a result of the MT's activity.

Edited by KissMyCookie, 18 January 2019 - 11:18 AM.

#17 Don_Homer

Don_Homer

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 18 January 2019 - 12:47 PM

Its good to have a Greek MT-member but I would prefer Gpet0, Roeczak or Don Mitsos overLord mainly because of communication in the broad meaning of that word. 

Molto Bene, Thats a nica Donut !

#18 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Major

• Honorary members
  • 1,183 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:43 PM

I don't like the idea of Major Nelson and Overlord both being on the MT. They are friends and interact with a number of offline players, given the drama of Greek Stratego clubs allowing a potential 40% voting bloc to form is a poor choice.

Actually, I am leaving the MT.
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.

#19 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,786 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:49 PM

As there are some fors and some againsts I think it might be welcome if OverLord gives his own opinion on that topic. Why does he think that having been banned and sunsetted is not a handicap for being a mod? What did he learn from his mistakes and how will this help him to be a good mod?

Edited by Napoleon 1er, 18 January 2019 - 05:50 PM.

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#20 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:58 PM

As there are some fors and some againsts I think it might be welcome if OverLord gives his own opinion on that topic. Why does he think that having been banned and sunsetted is not a handicap for being a mod? What did he learn from his mistakes and how will this help him to be a good mod?

Did you not read his previous comment, Daniel?

http://forum.strateg...al/#entry469701

All I think he can add to it is a heaping of platitudes and "usual" stuff. This post of his, which I included here, is rather candid and says enough. I think your question to J.V. about being "banned and sunsetted" is actually a better question for the MT.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users