MrBond

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:51 AM

I thought disconnecters were just part of the game until I read the other thread on reporting disconnecters. My son who plays a different online game (Rainbow 6) calls them 'Rage Quitters'. I like that name better. It happens so often that I just make a cup of tea and wait for the time to run down. I take it as part and parcel of the game, but I can see why the moderators and admins try to stop it as it is bad sportsmanship and it makes the whole Stratego much more enjoyable if accompanied by courteousness and politeness. 

But I met a different disconnecter today. This player is a very good player (much higher rank than me) and won his previous games against me easily. But this time he ran in to a bomb with his Gen early on and then lost a major and captain in quick succession. He disconnected, so off I went to make a cup of tea. I always watch the onscreen clock when someone disconnects to make sure it runs down, but with 20 seconds to go, he popped back again and started playing.

Even with his superior playing skills and tactics, he couldn't really win, so my guess is that he hoped I would lose interest and assume the time would run down, leaving him to win the game as my buffer would run down. All he had to do is move a piece to stop his buffer going down and wait for mine to run out. Luckily, I never trust rage quitters so this last attempt to gain a win (albeit a trick one) wouldn't work, but it is worth mentioning to other players to keep an eye on the disconnect run down time just to make sure it fully runs out. 

His luck finally ran out when I trapped one of his remaining majors with my gen, and he quit again. This time he never came back. 

I'm not super, and I'm no hero

#2 Napoleon 2ème

Napoleon 2ème

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:56 AM

Sadly this is something that happened to me aswell, never leave because your opponent left. First rule in war is to never believe your opponent

I  never lose, I win or I learn…

#3 Losermaker

Losermaker

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:26 AM

If you screenshot this (Sneaky Rejoin or SR) it is also punishable by -50 ELO and a 1 week ban for the offending player. The MT does not tolerate these players who not only waste time but also try to gain unfair ranking.

Here is a sample of a case made by rgillis:

http://forum.strateg...977#entry461977

#4 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,091 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:16 PM

Thanks for asking this question. I made a post here clarifying the MT position on the matter just today.

Here: http://forum.strateg...eaky-rejoin-sr/

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#5 KnightofPepsi

KnightofPepsi

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:50 AM

I've encountered this a couple of times. Usually I catch up on emails or social media after someone disconnects, that way if they do come back I at least notice, and I at least did something other than twiddle my thumbs.  If you have a lot of buffer left, it is fun to let some of that run down...get their hopes up and waste some of their time, then start moving again.  :D  :rolleyes:   Good to know that taking screenshots and reporting is an option. Except this forum usually doesn't let me attach files, so often not worth the inconvenience. 

#6 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 17 January 2019 - 06:34 AM

Could this thread be moved to the MT subforum please?

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#7 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,548 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 18 January 2019 - 04:47 PM

It's ok here - it's not a case report and just describing his story.

"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

See this thread for live gaming updates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users