dop.7

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 04 January 2019 - 05:19 PM

any advice to defend against lottoers and marshall blitzkrieg?

#2 UnladenSwallow

UnladenSwallow

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 04 January 2019 - 05:31 PM

Fight fire with fire. 

Edited by UnladenSwallow, 04 January 2019 - 05:32 PM.

• Dobby125, rgillis783 and Fks like this

#3 dop.7

dop.7

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 04 January 2019 - 05:39 PM

maybe you are right but, if the opponet has low elo and you lose the game....

:wacko:

#4 Napoleon 2ème

Napoleon 2ème

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 04 January 2019 - 05:54 PM

My strategy is the following one :

1) Check the RATIO of your opponent and the rank compared to the number of games.

2) 1-2 bombs in the first 2 rows

3) Close flag

4) Gen close to the spy and put it on one side, once you know his marsh, you can go where you want with that gen

5) With the gen,  you can use 3 scouts, 1 captain, 1 sergeant and if needed a major.

6) Once you know his marsh and you cleared a part of his filed with gen and other pieces, start coming with a miner.

7) If you don't like the setup of bombs, you can try to make a weak side with many bombs and risk an open flag in the corner

I hope I have helped you ;D

I  never lose, I win or I learn…

#5 tobermoryx

tobermoryx

Major

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 04 January 2019 - 08:48 PM

Marshal Blitz and Lotto are 2 different things, but on here people always speak about them as if they are the same.

Having bombs in front rows is useful against a lottoer but very bad against Marshal Blitz . The lottoer may well run his Marshal straight into bombs, but the blitzer will find those bombs with low pieces, and having 2 discovered bombs in the first 5 minutes is very bad.

A true lotto player - hitting unmoved and unknown pieces with Marsh or Gen at start of the game, nothing else counts as a lottoer - is actually quite rare, so 'anti lotto' set ups should only be used if you know the opponent is a lottoer. Having your first 2 rows full of bombs is a bad set up against anyone that is not going to lotto.

If you think your opponent might lotto then the main thing to do is make sure your General starts next to Spy. As Napoleon2 eme says you can separate them later if you need to. Also have a central flag if you think opponent will attack with big pieces early as the corners are hard to defend against a big attack in early game.

A General counterattack is a bad idea against lottoers or blitzers usually, as your Gen will only capture a scout or serg and then meet opponent Gen. It can work if your General and both Colonels are grouped together in your set up, as your Cols can follow Gen, but if they are spaced apart there is no point moving a dozen pieces to kill a scout and then start exchanging. The opponent Gen is usually in the centre behind a scout or serg so I prefer to attack the side that is full of bombs and rubbish, using a Colonel and Captains. 

When your opponent attacks with Marsh it is best to keep your own Marshal and Gen hidden and let opponent use up their scouts etc.

• Don_Homer, Losermaker and UnladenSwallow like this

#6 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 04 January 2019 - 09:10 PM

any advice to defend against lottoers and marshall blitzkrieg?

If your opponent marshal blitzes on the side, one common strategy is to attack their general defending the center with your marshal.  Their spy usually takes your marshal.  Then you follow up in the center by attacking with your general and moving towards the side where their marshal blitz started from.  Most of the time all of their high and medium pieces are on that marshal side.  The flag is also usually on that side and many times there are few if any bombs on that side. 

Here's an example:

https://youtu.be/iRUak0Zns5chttps://youtu.be/iRUak0Zns5c

If you get desperate, you can always lotto the marshal side because their flag is usually open and there are very few, if any bombs located there.  If the general gets blown up lottoing, just keep on following up with a colonel and then majors.

An extreme lotto example: https://youtu.be/6MZVD6G_ksA

Here's a nice video by Ouwesok on a good lotto defense setup:

https://youtu.be/yhQrzYv70lI

Edited by Dobby125, 04 January 2019 - 09:15 PM.

My Youtube Stratego Channel: https://www.youtube....cGDvlZZkGbgq0LA

#7 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 04 January 2019 - 09:32 PM

Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#8 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:06 PM

maybe you are right but, if the opponet has low elo and you lose the game....

:wacko:

look at the setup i used here: http://forum.strateg...-2018/?p=468790 ... airmail is a typical such marshall/gen blitzer

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#9 Don_Homer

Don_Homer

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:20 PM

My strategy is the following one :

1) Check the RATIO of your opponent and the rank compared to the number of games.

2) 1-2 bombs in the first 2 rows

3) Close flag

4) Gen close to the spy and put it on one side, once you know his marsh, you can go where you want with that gen

5) With the gen,  you can use 3 scouts, 1 captain, 1 sergeant and if needed a major.

6) Once you know his marsh and you cleared a part of his filed with gen and other pieces, start coming with a miner.

7) If you don't like the setup of bombs, you can try to make a weak side with many bombs and risk an open flag in the corner

I hope I have helped you ;D

Nice advice. I would add to set 2 miners a little bit higher because they often bomb a flank. I recently lost a game partly because my miners were terrible placed  -_-

Edited by Don_Homer, 04 January 2019 - 11:21 PM.

Molto Bene, Thats a nica Donut !

#10 KnightofPepsi

KnightofPepsi

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:29 PM

Some great advice posted already. One thing I will add for marshal blitz: do not move pieces that are on his attacking side, unless if absolutely necessary to save your general, colonel, etc. Force him to send scouts/pieces down to test everything. Some people panic and start trying to move/run away and do more harm than good.

#11 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 05 January 2019 - 12:16 AM

look at the setup i used here: http://forum.strateg...-2018/?p=468790 ... airmail is a typical such marshall/gen blitzer

Do you have more video of this game or other games with this setup? Or can you outline how  you play with this setup?

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#12 dop.7

dop.7

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 05 January 2019 - 12:57 AM

i played with 5 blitzers today and some of the advice help a lot thnx guys

• DavidGR77 likes this

#13 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 05 January 2019 - 09:04 AM

Do you have more video of this game or other games with this setup? Or can you outline how  you play with this setup?

no other game played with that setup, this is only for known marshall/gen blitzers. It's 4th time i have been matched against airmail and 4th time he does the same thing with some variations. See also that setuP: http://forum.strateg...-2018/?p=468443

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#14 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,754 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 05 January 2019 - 09:22 AM

Some great advice posted already. One thing I will add for marshal blitz: do not move pieces that are on his attacking side, unless if absolutely necessary to save your general, colonel, etc. Force him to send scouts/pieces down to test everything. Some people panic and start trying to move/run away and do more harm than good.

This is a good observation. One thing I would say opposite to it, though, is that often low level players and even higher level ones begin their attacking on the side with their Marsh. So that, with a lottoer, if I see that he's begun building for his first attack on my general side that's not covered by my spy, I'll begin moving whatever few pieces I might need to, to open a pathway for my general or colonel to head to the spy.

But you're very right,KoP, in that a good general principle is not to move any more pieces than one has to. And often a bomb placed on the 3rd or 4th rank will be a great plan if you suspect a lottoing opponent at the outset.
  • KnightofPepsi likes this

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#15 dop.7

dop.7

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:29 PM

piet jacob; he is blitzer from the center 

#16 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:34 PM

piet jacob; he is blitzer from the center

You shouldnt really post how people play.. Blitzting is a viable strategy in Stratego.

#17 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:01 PM

You shouldnt really post how people play.. Blitzting is a viable strategy in Stratego.

Puhlease.

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#18 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:45 PM

Puhlease.

just to mention 7 players that are really good at blitzing in opening when they want to and have a high rating Overlord Constrictor, Major Nelson, Spion, Unladen Swallow, Sekertsiss, Enigma and Henry dimerkant.
  • TemplateRex likes this

#19 dop.7

dop.7

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:50 PM

my apologies  :P

• Fks likes this

#20 UnladenSwallow

UnladenSwallow

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:55 PM

You shouldnt really post how people play

just to mention 7 players that are really good at blitzing in opening when they want to and have a high rating Overlord Constrictor, Major Nelson, Spion, Unladen Swallow, Sekertsiss, Enigma and Henry dimerkant.

thinking-face.png

• Nortrom, Losermaker, Dobby125 and 5 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users