tobermoryx

Major

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:32 PM

The idea that a person would have some sort of legal case against a person that uploaded their game to You Tube is absurd.

The only credible argument for requiring permission I have seen is from Maxroelofs. And to be clear he is not saying that there should be any MT rule against it, rather that the person would not upload as a respectful gesture to an opponent who had objected.

Personally I have always* asked permission of any player I have uploaded games from, though several opponents, such as Hielco and MTinsley, made clear that i needn't have asked them. But I always felt it was a matter of courtesy rather than something there should be rules about.

*If I am playing against someone that is banned from the site, or that is engaging in abusive chat,stalling or deliberate disconnects, then I would put the whole game up online (if I could be bothered, and if the game was not awful, which it often would be ) without any thought to their 'secret setup' or feelings about such things, and I would be very amazed if the MT intervened after such a player objected.

• texaspete09 and Napoleon 2ème like this

#202 Napoleon 2ème

Napoleon 2ème

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:48 PM

The idea that a person would have some sort of legal case against a person that uploaded their game to You Tube is absurd.

The only credible argument for requiring permission I have seen is from Maxroelofs. And to be clear he is not saying that there should be any MT rule against it, rather that the person would not upload as a respectful gesture to an opponent who had objected.

Personally I have always* asked permission of any player I have uploaded games from, though several opponents, such as Hielco and MTinsley, made clear that i needn't have asked them. But I always felt it was a matter of courtesy rather than something there should be rules about.

*If I am playing against someone that is banned from the site, or that is engaging in abusive chat,stalling or deliberate disconnects, then I would put the whole game up online (if I could be bothered, and if the game was not awful, which it often would be ) without any thought to their 'secret setup' or feelings about such things, and I would be very amazed if the MT intervened after such a player objected.

Your last point is a pretty interesting argument here which I hadn't thought about, but I fully agree with it.

I  never lose, I win or I learn…

#203 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,104 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 14 February 2019 - 01:35 PM

It is not absurd–perhaps unlikely, but the people at YouTube who are responsible for what content is allowed and not, can be swayed to make the decision to remove or block certain uploads. That specific authority of YouTube's, to specifically block or remove, has its basis in the legal world; thus, you see, it is not absurd.

#204 Napoleon 2ème

Napoleon 2ème

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 14 February 2019 - 02:08 PM

If youtube decide to remove videos okay, but it's no mt work I think...

I  never lose, I win or I learn…

#205 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,104 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 14 February 2019 - 02:43 PM

If youtube decide to remove videos okay, but it's no mt work I think...

But this is now going off the primary focus and debate...the debate is not whether or not the MT can remove YouTube uploads...but rather:

What is going to become the established protocol concerning forum members uploading game videos to YouTube?

If it becomes established by the MT that players must acquire permission before uploading a Stratego match, then that is clear–MT will need to enforce that policy accordingly. If no permission becomes the policy, then MT has nothing to worry about regarding such uploads.

#206 rgillis783

rgillis783

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 14 February 2019 - 02:52 PM

No --not MT work Napo 2 unless the MT is contacted by a player it seems. I feel if a match is uploaded and a player had requested it not be. If The person had been contacted by that player to please take it down and refused then maybe a MT mechanism would help prod the player to do it. If some player started a collection of videos of Plat. players flag/bomb placement some may feel this MT intervention was a good thing--maybe. Take this thought a step further what if a player is upset with another and starts loading videos of the match's one after another after another showing exclusive bad moves. One would hope that there was some recourse. 

#207 Verti_GO

Verti_GO

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 4 weeks ago

Has anyone seen dobby125's youtube channel? He uploads his matches with the name of the players blurred. So you can see he is playing against a platinum general, but you won't know who (s)he really is.

I don't know if blurring a specific area of a video is something easy to do. Maybe we could ask him about it. That way, we could see great matches (specially ranked ones) without players being worried about their setups or styles, because nobody would know who they are.

Edited by Verti_GO, 4 weeks ago.

• Don_Homer, Napoleon 1er and TemplateRex like this

#208 Yellowhat

Yellowhat

Lieutenant

• Moderators
  • 585 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 4 weeks ago

That could be a good solution. Especially in the lower leagues, where there are lots of players. Platinum players might be recognised easier.

• rgillis783 and Napoleon 2ème like this
Yellowhat is the literal translation of my surname.

#209 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 4 weeks ago

Has anyone seen dobby125's youtube channel? He uploads his matches with the name of the players blurred. So you can see he is playing against a platinum general, but you won't know who (s)he really is.

I don't know if blurring a specific area of a video is something easy to do. Maybe we could ask him about it. That way, we could see great matches (specially ranked ones) without players being worried about their setups or styles, because nobody would know who they are.

I use an old version of Camtasia to blur my videos.  It's easy to do, once you learn how to do it.  I think Camtasia is overpriced for what it does.  Most of the latest video editors should allow you to blur parts of the screen.  Go to youtube and search for your video editor name and blur and you should find how-to-videos that show you how it's done.  Davinci Resolve is a very good free video editor that lets you blur things on the screen. The learning curve to use the software might take some time though.

https://youtu.be/2hcrwRyhA8M

https://youtu.be/M3wE7n2Umo4

• Napoleon 1er and Verti_GO like this

My Youtube Stratego Channel: https://www.youtube....cGDvlZZkGbgq0LA

#210 Silverhammer

Silverhammer

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 4 weeks ago

I don't know if this is still up for debate, but option 3. 

I feel the person recording the video is the most likely to be "taken advantage of", if that makes sense, given now not only can he see his set up, but along with everyone watching the video. Sure, if you are a hard core plat blitz troll person thingy, you can pin point the starting point to every single piece after reviewing the footage numerous times, but that's just too much I feel. More often than not people are looking for either specific strategy or just casual game play to watch and listen to, not set up information. (This analysis is derived from my comments over the years.)  

Personally, I've never really asked permission. I know I have a decent sized audience for my videos, so I can see where people would be coming from for voting either 1 or 2. 

But, at the end of the day, there is no monetary gain in this game really (unless perhaps playing a tournament where money could be involved, in which case permission should always be required). 

I have been recording for over "three" years and I have never ran into a problem with someone coming back at me saying "I saw you uploaded our game, take it down or I'll go to Gary" or something like that. 

But, if it counts, then option 3.  

• Dobby125, tobermoryx and Napoleon 2ème like this

#211 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 4 weeks ago

Youtube also lets you edit your uploaded videos with a blur.  I did it on this video today: 

https://www.youtube....h?v=kbZzF770lGw

It's probably better to do it in your own video editor, but adding a blur to an uploaded video is easy.

Here's a very informative video on how to do it:

https://www.youtube....h?v=0V4dlR2m5QQ

• Napoleon 1er and Verti_GO like this

My Youtube Stratego Channel: https://www.youtube....cGDvlZZkGbgq0LA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users