Photo

How to properly use information to your advantage?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 chickenofdoom

chickenofdoom

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Colonel

Posted 23 December 2018 - 08:06 AM

The last several games I played my opponent often revealed his high pieces early, gaining some material advantage (Captains usually) at the start.

Knowing this, I try and counter attack on another side of the board, but it's always either too slow or too predictable, so I never get much out of it. 

I also have a problem when he uses his Marshal and General to pin my sides of the board down. In that case, I'm reduced to just shuffling around, and I have no idea how to turn the game back into my favor.

In theory, I should have the advantage knowing the Marsh/Gen/Col early on, but I've lost the last several games in a row, which has been very frustrating. Can anyone give me tips on how to deal with this or just tips in general on how to play better? Thanks.

• Losermaker, Yellowhat, TemplateRex and 1 other like this

#2 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 23 December 2018 - 08:25 AM

You have to play for control of the board in the beginning(At bronze level ELO you should always expect your opponent to be doing this) A good way to beat what your having a problem with is take your Marshal and hit there general and then lotto with ur gen for the colonel that is most likely behind it and then just lotto and so on since most to all your opponents bombs will be on there weak side since you know there Marshal they can't actually do much beside pull there marsh back to your gen and you can decide if you will take more risks for pieces or run around the lake and play the rest of the game in an awkward phase.
Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#3 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 23 December 2018 - 04:48 PM

Here's a typical game where you get blitzed on 1 side by the Marshal and the General guards the middle.  

https://www.youtube....h?v=iRUak0Zns5c

A very common counterattack is to swap your Marshal for their General.  Then follow the center attack down the center with your General and attack towards their strong side.  Usually their flag is on the Marshal side and a lot of times it's an open flag. And almost all of their good pieces are on this side too.  Most of the time you can hold down their Marshal/Colonel side attack with a spy and Colonel, while you scout targets for your General to capture.

Sometimes things don't always work out.  You make some movement mistakes or your setup is in favor of your opponent.  You can always improvise and just try to get to their strong side with a high piece and lotto.  I did that is this game:

https://www.youtube....h?v=6MZVD6G_ksA

• Lord Invader likes this

My Youtube Stratego Channel: https://www.youtube....cGDvlZZkGbgq0LA

#4 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 23 December 2018 - 04:51 PM

The last several games I played my opponent often revealed his high pieces early, gaining some material advantage (Captains usually) at the start.

Knowing this, I try and counter attack on another side of the board, but it's always either too slow or too predictable, so I never get much out of it. 

I also have a problem when he uses his Marshal and General to pin my sides of the board down. In that case, I'm reduced to just shuffling around, and I have no idea how to turn the game back into my favor.

In theory, I should have the advantage knowing the Marsh/Gen/Col early on, but I've lost the last several games in a row, which has been very frustrating. Can anyone give me tips on how to deal with this or just tips in general on how to play better? Thanks.

Advice from @Dobby125

http://forum.strateg...ides/?p=37744 

https://www.youtube....h?v=4P606YePcok

https://www.youtube....h?v=rolbBKrb7IM

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#5 Napoleon 2ème

Napoleon 2ème

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 23 December 2018 - 05:52 PM

For my part, my tipp would be to have 1-2 bombs in the first rows, then your opponents will have to go slowly. Another thing I did, is to put marsh on one side and the gen with a col and the spy on the other one, middle side maybe a bomb behind lake, so, in that case he is blocked and you can do some cool counter.

I  never lose, I win or I learn…

#6 chickenofdoom

chickenofdoom

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Colonel

Posted 23 December 2018 - 08:43 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have lots of trouble with Marshal blitzes as well. 

In this post, I was just referring to when your opponent say reveals a Marshal early (not a blitz) and captures a Major. It's hard for me to get back more than a Major with a General counterattack. Usually, my opponent can sense my counterattack and either scout it or have his General ready for exchange. 

Even if his General is out of position, I feel that it takes ages to scout his pieces before hitting them with my General. I'm usually only able to get 1-2 minor pieces before my opponent can bring back his Marshal/General and stop me.

#7 Losermaker

Losermaker

Captain

• Moderators
  • 840 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 23 December 2018 - 09:15 PM

Hi chickenofdoom (lol at the name :D)

Awesome question, this is a very interesting subject which you could go really deep into. I would say that apart from actually stopping the blitz, to counterattack you need some info of your own. If you find his marsh and gen early (say you lose 2 capts), DON'T move your high pieces yet. First bring out an info gaining piece, in this case capt is best because he either has 2 outcomes 1. you take a piece and he takes it with a major or colonel (good info, then you bring out your high piece soon and use 2 squares or something) or 2. you take a piece and he swaps. If #1 occurs then your general is the best chance of getting that major/col.

Both of these are good outcomes for you and should get you 2 pieces for your 1 piece

I would say the real trick to it though is to know when the time is right to bring your high piece for the kill, if you get that wrong he could scout your high piece, get pieces out of the road, get diagonal etc. I will see if I can get a video example for you somewhere of some counter-attack moves.

Thanks for the interesting question and Merry Christmas!

Losermaker

• Lord Invader likes this

#8 chickenofdoom

chickenofdoom

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Colonel

Posted 23 December 2018 - 10:01 PM

I would say the real trick to it though is to know when the time is right to bring your high piece for the kill, if you get that wrong he could scout your high piece, get pieces out of the road, get diagonal etc. I will see if I can get a video example for you somewhere of some counter-attack moves.

Yes, this is exactly what happens to me every time. I would definitely appreciate it if you were able to show me a good video example.

#9 Napoleon 2ème

Napoleon 2ème

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 23 December 2018 - 11:16 PM

About info, admitting you have found marsh and gen, I go with cols and then majors, because he will need to check everytime if this is not the gen incoming, and you gain a lot of advantage. My best game in that case was to get all his scout and bring suddenly the py on his field and get his marsh. 

If you want, we could play a game and I ll show you how to do this :D

• Dobby125 likes this

I  never lose, I win or I learn…

#10 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,754 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 26 December 2018 - 06:33 PM

You have a lot smarter guys than me offering specifics above. What I would add is that if you want to help in the predictability department you can always try a completely new setup for a change. When you do you are forced to play and think. Your Spy isn't where you're used to. Neither is your Marshal, General, and Flag. But you compensate. You figure it out. In a real way it makes you play fresher. At least that's my two cents. It seems to help me every so often.

When I had to play my first live tournament games recently I forgot to print off my standard setups and had to create one on the spot, which to my amazement worked decently well. I attribute that largely to this factor of being forced to think and play fresher on the spur of the moment.
  • Dobby125 and rgillis783 like this

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#11 Lord Invader

Lord Invader

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Lieutenant

Posted 29 December 2018 - 12:08 AM

Here is my advice on improving your game:

http://forum.strateg...-hard/?p=462387

Dobby's advice in this post on dealing with annoying Marshal blitzers is on point as well; once their attack has been neutralized, they are usually at a loss and you can learn to defeat them pretty easily.

Losermaker has great tips on how to apply pressure (i.e. turn up the heat in one lane, then another, then the third, b/c all of your opponent's pieces can't be in all places at all times).  

And read Enigma's posts.  I hope that's helpful!

Edited by Lord Invader, 30 December 2018 - 12:25 AM.

#12 Losermaker

Losermaker

Captain

• Moderators
  • 840 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 29 December 2018 - 12:39 AM

Yes, this is exactly what happens to me every time. I would definitely appreciate it if you were able to show me a good video example.

Hi,

Still trying to find something for you, just a busy time of year atm, bear with me.

#13 Losermaker

Losermaker

Captain

• Moderators
  • 840 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 13 January 2019 - 03:45 AM

Unfortunately I have looked through all my old videos and can't really find one that shows what to do. Most times when I play I do it over quite a long complicated process. There are cases of course where it is simple and you can show it in about 5 mins of footage (this is what I was looking for) but I don't have any of these sorry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users