MrBond

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 15 December 2018 - 01:29 PM

Has anyone had this happen before?  - I just played a game where my opponent hit my bomb with his General. Not uncommon, of course, but he went on to hit the same bomb a couple of minutes later with his Major. Not content with that, after another two minutes, he went on to hit the same bomb with his Marshall. 

I have a of theory here. Firstly, he thought he had hit a bomb somewhere in that area and wanted to check it was a bomb with his Major. Yes, it definitely was a bomb. After a couple more minutes he (or she) wanted to make absolutely sure it was a bomb, so checked again with his Marshall. No doubt about it. Now he knew for sure it was a bomb. There was no denying it after checking with three pieces. 

It would interesting to know if that is a record, or if other players have been in games where their opponent has hit the same bomb multiple times. On a more serious note, I did feel sorry for the player as it is demoralising when you lose one large piece to a bomb. But that's the game. 

Merry Christmas everyone

• Don_Homer, Napoleon 1er, Dobby125 and 1 other like this

I'm not super, and I'm no hero

#2 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,269 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 15 December 2018 - 02:45 PM

When I first started playing the game, I had a player who lottoed with his general straight into a bomb after taking a scout and sergeant. The next piece he moved (it ended up being his marshal) marched right down to the exact same bomb and hit it. Then he surrendered.

WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series! :D

#3 rgillis783

rgillis783

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 15 December 2018 - 03:38 PM

Has anyone had this happen before?  - I just played a game where my opponent hit my bomb with his General. Not uncommon, of course, but he went on to hit the same bomb a couple of minutes later with his Major. Not content with that, after another two minutes, he went on to hit the same bomb with his Marshall. 

I have a of theory here. Firstly, he thought he had hit a bomb somewhere in that area and wanted to check it was a bomb with his Major. Yes, it definitely was a bomb. After a couple more minutes he (or she) wanted to make absolutely sure it was a bomb, so checked again with his Marshall. No doubt about it. Now he knew for sure it was a bomb. There was no denying it after checking with three pieces. 

It would interesting to know if that is a record, or if other players have been in games where their opponent has hit the same bomb multiple times. On a more serious note, I did feel sorry for the player as it is demoralising when you lose one large piece to a bomb. But that's the game. 

Merry Christmas everyone

A Merry Christmas to you also Mr. Bond and thanks for posting. I had an opponent just yesterday who was using middle lane  to march his Marshal down. They were burning scouts to clear Marshals way ---- smart up to the point were they had no more scouts. They found a bomb with a scout early, but chose to march a Major into it. The player then took a gamble with Marshal in back row found another bomb. In came general--- yep right into bomb that took out Scout, Major and now General. Players wonder why I take out bombs when I find them ? It is simple my own memory is very poor !   ;)  :D  :lol:

• Don_Homer and Dobby125 like this

#4 MrBond

MrBond

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 15 December 2018 - 04:11 PM

Rgillis783

I'm with you on that one. Sometimes I have discovered a bomb and seconds later thought "was it that one or the one next to it." It's a good philosophy of yours to take out bombs when you find them, although sometimes it can be handy to leave them where they are as it can be useful to you in that it can block your opponent and be an advantage to you. My own memory is poor too, and I sometimes have to scout something twice as I forget what it was. I thought one of benefits of Stratego was to improve one's memory - maybe it has. 

• rgillis783 likes this

#5 KnightofPepsi

KnightofPepsi

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 15 December 2018 - 05:49 PM

I understand your point about taking out known bombs so that you don't forget about them later. However, the disadvantage is that you usually waste your precious miners, since taking out the bomb will usually result in them being captured by a sergeant or lieutenant. It is best to leave the bomb there and save your miners for testing unknown pieces that you suspect are bombs. Easier said than done, from a memory perspective!

• Yellowhat likes this

#6 Yellowhat

Yellowhat

Lieutenant

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 15 December 2018 - 06:30 PM

If you capture only 1 bomb with each miner you can defuse 5 out of 6 bombs. That's enough to make sure the flag isn't bombed in (anymore). 

• rgillis783 likes this
Yellowhat is the literal translation of my surname.

#7 rgillis783

rgillis783

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 15 December 2018 - 06:38 PM

A very good thought KnightofPepsi this game is the best because you must choose ya tactics well ! In so much that you may chose to save ya miner it may be taken before having the chance to use. After spy hunting a favorite part of the game, miner elimination is key. I have noticed the many tactics we players use. Some players use miners as you say for end game and scouting that unknown mystery piece. Some as I, eliminate bombs when found but with back. If a miner gets grabbed you can then take their piece or force them to burn a miner in turn-- I like that best. A few players--- most ,have no plan on getting ya flag ! They are here to eliminate pieces and plan to win this way. It can be accomplished and they will win and earn points but I myself do not care for this much. I will say that leaving bombs on the board does serve you well, if ya opponent has a scout or two left and they are just zipping around the board waiting for a tie. The bombs are indeed useful in trapping those elusive scouts ! The Pro's the Con's defuse ---don't. The decisions you make now in game may effect ya endgame ! B)

• Dobby125 likes this

#8 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 15 December 2018 - 06:43 PM

That's happens in my games quite often.  :D   Late in the game, when they can't find my flag on the back row, or 2nd row, they go back and test bombs they hit earlier.  The flag has to be here somewhere!  They do this because they have a bad memory, or they question their memory or they probably played lots of games in a row and are not sure if they tested a bomb or not.  Players expect the flag to be on the back 2 rows.  When it's not there,  they get confused and start hitting known bombs again. 

• Yellowhat, rgillis783 and Fks like this

My Youtube Stratego Channel: https://www.youtube....cGDvlZZkGbgq0LA

#9 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 15 December 2018 - 06:51 PM

Lets not lie this has all happened to us at least once :) I remember against L3af I hit the same bomb with General and colonel and he was so confused and said it's not really a win when you throw the game. Little did he know lol.
  • Dobby125 and MrBond like this
Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#10 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 15 December 2018 - 08:21 PM

Lets not lie this has all happened to us at least once :) I remember against L3af I hit the same bomb with General and colonel and he was so confused and said it's not really a win when you throw the game. Little did he know lol.

I hit a known bomb with a Colonel in this video.  I don't do it too often, since I'm super cautious.  But I scout known bombs too many times in games, just to make sure. That's a killer too, wasting all your scouting pieces.  Sometimes I hit pieces that haven't moved when I was positive they moved.  Usually, they are bombs.  Sometimes though, I'll capture a high piece and my opponent instantly chats to me that I'm a lottoer.  "Stupid lucky lottoer!"   Sometimes your bad memory can be helpful. 

Edited by Dobby125, 15 December 2018 - 08:30 PM.

• rgillis783 likes this

#11 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 15 December 2018 - 08:33 PM

I hit a known bomb with a Colonel in this video.  I don't do it too often, since I'm super cautious.  But I scout known bombs too many times in games, just to make sure. That's a killer too, wasting all your scouting pieces.  Sometimes I hit pieces that haven't moved when I was positive they moved.  Usually, they are bombs.  Sometimes though, I'll capture a high piece and my opponent instantly chats to me that I'm a lottoer.  "Stupid lucky lottoer!"   Sometimes your bad memory can be helpful.

In the world championships first round I played a guy from the UK and I wa so sure a piece was moved I hit it with my General it ended up being a scout and my opponents was so shocked he litterally just said are you serious and looked at me with his eyes raised for a good minute :)
  • Dobby125, TheOptician and rgillis783 like this
Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#12 MrBond

MrBond

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 15 December 2018 - 09:26 PM

Dobby125 - watching lottoers who lotto me, it is actually an intuitive skill, deciding where your opponent has placed his bombs. Someone lottoed me recently and it was as if he could see where every bomb was as he/she missed them all and cleared out my high pieces with a General. It was a sight to behold and my hat off to that player - it can't all have been luck.

#13 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 16 December 2018 - 12:27 AM

Dobby125 - watching lottoers who lotto me, it is actually an intuitive skill, deciding where your opponent has placed his bombs. Someone lottoed me recently and it was as if he could see where every bomb was as he/she missed them all and cleared out my high pieces with a General. It was a sight to behold and my hat off to that player - it can't all have been luck.

Reading the board is a skill.  I believe Enigma called it Stratego Pattern Recognition.  So after playing hundreds of games, you have a good sense where players place their bombs and other pieces.  For example, sergeants are popular pieces kept next to bombs.  So if you scout a sergeant, you might be hesitant to hit pieces that were next to that sergeant at the start of the game.  Here's some stats to help you guess the odds of where the bombs are located to help you lotto better.  https://stratego-tip...placements.html  It can also help you place bombs where "stats" players like myself might attack. 

You might have run into a cheating alias scouter.  It can happen if you don't change your setup often and play lots of games on the same day or at the same time.  But sometimes when players lotto, they get real lucky.  I got real lucky in this game.  I almost quit when I lost my General to a bomb.  But I won that game because of Pattern Recognition.  So it wasn't all that lucky, once you understand how most Marshal Blitzers usually setup their board, and where the flag and bombs should be located.

#14 roeczak

roeczak

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,078 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 16 December 2018 - 08:47 AM

In a recent game with Napo 1er and in a close endgame i hit a known bomb with my colonel which was the highest piece on the board.
Roeczak <----- Stratego YT channel
Highest Rating : 966 (Platinum Marshal)

#15 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,879 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 16 December 2018 - 01:21 PM

i confirm, roeczak was looking for my last major but hit a bomb. Usually strong players start to lotto when they are down in material and don't see any solution to come back in the game.

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#16 rgillis783

rgillis783

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 20 December 2018 - 11:06 PM

A very good thought KnightofPepsi this game is the best because you must choose ya tactics well ! In so much that you may chose to save ya miner it may be taken before having the chance to use. After spy hunting a favorite part of the game, miner elimination is key. I have noticed the many tactics we players use. Some players use miners as you say for end game and scouting that unknown mystery piece. Some as I, eliminate bombs when found but with back. If a miner gets grabbed you can then take their piece or force them to burn a miner in turn-- I like that best. A few players--- most ,have no plan on getting ya flag ! They are here to eliminate pieces and plan to win this way. It can be accomplished and they will win and earn points but I myself do not care for this much. I will say that leaving bombs on the board does serve you well, if ya opponent has a scout or two left and they are just zipping around the board waiting for a tie. The bombs are indeed useful in trapping those elusive scouts ! The Pro's the Con's defuse ---don't. The decisions you make now in game may effect ya endgame ! B)

I put this up five days ago. Little did I know I would encounter such a match just today. A player flying Netherlands flag K_ _ I will leave out their other 2 digits too protect their poor decisions. I eliminated the 3 bombs in the mine field along with a few Sgts and Miners early. I cleared the center and found the tri -pod . I offered a tie because the player had the upper hand with a Major. I had junk but they knew nothing of my whole back row. Oh ya my junk included a Scout. I pointed out to the player after they declined tie/draw that it would be a trade game and best to move on. 30 min. later after last miners exchanged, no win available this player refused a tie again! I start shooting my scout around board which is wide open as he looks for my last Sgt in back row. Odds against them they struck a bomb. They could have had a tie and earned 2-3 pts but they were greedy ! Moral of story-The decisions you make NOW will affect you later. I find this happens in life and this game.  

• MrBond likes this

#17 Don_Homer

Don_Homer

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 21 December 2018 - 02:57 PM

A well known offline player sometimes uses ''the Hadrian Wall'' with a lot of bombs next to eachother. Bombs often explodes multiple times in his most memorable games :D

Molto Bene, Thats a nica Donut !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users