rgillis783

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 2 weeks ago

I saw this on Reddit and figured it cuts across our diverse community. Were I live and what rule I use to determine a proper tip is 15-20 % of total bill then I think about the service/food/drink were they good or great ? I also assess how much I asked of our/my server -- like how many times I requested things. What are your thoughts on tips ?

This is a link on how to increase tipping. It may help if your in the service end of business.

https://www.incremen...o/lists/tipping

s8ulclj18cq11.jpg

Edited by rgillis783, 2 weeks ago.

#2 astros

astros

Stratego TM

• WC Online Team
  • 787 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 2 weeks ago

I always tip at least 20 percent. Having worked as a waiter, I can tell you that most of the things that cause bad service are outside of the waiter's control.

• rgillis783 likes this
I'm in love with Stacy's mom.

#3 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted 2 weeks ago

I always tip at least 20 percent. Having worked as a waiter, I can tell you that most of the things that cause bad service are outside of the waiter's control.

https://www.youtube....h?v=CVmBGKfrc60 (In the Netherlands, gratuity is included in the bill, but most people will round upwards, never more than 10% though)
  • Don_Homer, rgillis783 and UnladenSwallow like this

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#4 Don_Homer

Don_Homer

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 2 weeks ago

https://www.youtube....h?v=CVmBGKfrc60 (In the Netherlands, gratuity is included in the bill, but most people will round upwards, never more than 10% though)

I totally forget about this, thanks! Rgillis, Its an interesting article! I like to think my tips depend on where I eat (atmosphere in the restaurant) and if the meal and service were good. I think on average I give about 10% but I totally forget about the inclusion in my country...

In the movie, Astros represents mr White :)

On another note TR, I didnt know you were Dutch. You should visit a tournament sometime :)

• rgillis783 likes this

Molto Bene, Thats a nica Donut !

#5 Fks

Fks

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,122 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted A week ago

15%

Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

http://forum.strateg...18/#entry461226

#6 Fairway

Fairway

General

• Junior Tournament Management
  • 2,796 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted A week ago

Cheap.... lol

WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series!  :D

#7 Don_Homer

Don_Homer

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted A week ago

Cheap.... lol

Is this a reaction to Fks, a self-analysis of your tipping or an impressionation of a happy bird?  :P

• rgillis783 likes this

Molto Bene, Thats a nica Donut !

#8 Fairway

Fairway

General

• Junior Tournament Management
  • 2,796 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted A week ago

A joking reaction to Fks... 20%, I say.

• rgillis783 likes this

WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series!  :D

#9 rgillis783

rgillis783

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted A week ago

Yes here in the states many feel 15-20% is the norm. I along with Astros will share that I did my time in the service industry. The place I worked in late 70's 80's had on the check "please leave a 20% gratuity ". I am cheap and thought it was a bit high even though I worked there. After a while I realized we-wait staff had to pay bus boys/set up staff 25 cents per person that were served. The 20% dwindled quickly some nights. On the opposite end of the spectrum are many that worked in the industry and are doing very well in higher paying jobs. These folks are very generous with tips and tend to over compensate on the tip -- so there is balance in the system. ;)

• Don_Homer likes this

#10 Fks

Fks

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,122 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted A week ago

I'm 18 Fairway :) Although it usually depends on what I get back in change, 15% is fair for what I usually request in services. 

• Don_Homer and Fairway like this

Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

http://forum.strateg...18/#entry461226

#11 rgillis783

rgillis783

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted A week ago

Yes Fks I agree we all look at how much we are tasking/requesting from the servers and most of us have budgets.I had an uncle who owned a few est. back in the day. He was very demanding of staff no matter were he went. I can recall him ordering a matradee to post two severs at our table and to only serve our table. I was very uncomfortable with this but he got his request. As the night ended I mentioned this to a family member. They asked if I saw the bill ? Of course I had not-- I was cheap even then. My uncle gave each server 50 dollars to make up for lost tips from others they would have served. That was in addition too the 20% tip -oh ya I am sure he slipped the matradee a little something. This is not boasting about my uncle just an example of a hard working man who demanded a lot but always compensated/rewarded those who hustled/worked for him.  

• Fks likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users