#21 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,748 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 06 October 2018 - 11:09 AM

Yes, this is exactly what the purpose of the thread, as described in the second sentence of the first post, is about. I suppose it can be easy to miss when your first and only impulse is to write before thinking

Just reminding you, we don't have to take this approach. We can also go back to the old MT ways, 

• John_the_righteo likes this

"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

See this thread for live gaming updates

See this thread my blog posts

eOMDNAj.png

#22 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,487 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 06 October 2018 - 11:45 AM

What is the logic behind purging forum aliases?

Avoiding confusion, keeping future polls more clean, preventing players from influencing discussions with multiple accounts.

How would this be achieved practically - would MT supply admin with a number of accounts to ban from the forum (or only when they post/vote?) 

Wouldn't we miss Javier Flag's newspaper articles?

• Fairway likes this

#23 Don_Homer

Don_Homer

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 06 October 2018 - 12:35 PM

I strongly disagree with TemplateRex (and Napoleon 1er) here. I will explain why. The element that made Stratego such a great and distinct game is the fact that the pieces are hidden. You can surprise your opponent with new strategies which start with unique setups. I remember in my early days, starting with stratego and eager to learn from the best players around. For example I played Gpet0 (one of the great veterans) and he beated me badly with a pretty unique setup I had never seen before. That was great despite the losing. I remembered the key elements of his setup easily (cause it was a ''traumatic'' loss :)). And started to try it myself. With these strategies I became a better player on a very nice way. I think I would not enjoyed it so much if I just watched some videos of games from Gpet0 or other strong players. Its fun to surprise players and its no fun when your opponent knows exactly how you play and has an easy win because of it. Yes you have to differ your style etc. but not everybody does that or is able to do it. I still like it very much to play against players I never played before so you can surprise each other and dont know what to expect.

In addition I think it should be special to play a topplayer. If you already saw 20 videos of him/her its not so special anymore. Also the topplayer dont know what to expect while you can prepare very thoroughly. If you let all players make and upload videos of their games I am afraid the results will be more secret aliases cause players want to remain anonymous and/or topplayers will stop playing (serious) online. 

Edited by Don_Homer, 06 October 2018 - 12:36 PM.

• Nortrom likes this

Molto Bene, Thats a nica Donut !

#24 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,748 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 06 October 2018 - 01:03 PM

How would this be achieved practically - would MT supply admin with a number of accounts to ban from the forum (or only when they post/vote?) 

Wouldn't we miss Javier Flag's newspaper articles?

We'll use our account revealer 5000 and possibly contact master investigator TheOptician - ever heard of that guy?

" with the only exception being organisation accounts like NASF " 

eOMDNAj.png

#25 Wogomite

Wogomite

Captain

• Honorary members
  • 882 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 06 October 2018 - 01:42 PM

Yes, this is exactly what the purpose of the thread, as described in the second sentence of the first post, is about. I suppose it can be easy to miss when your first and only impulse is to write before thinking

Just reminding you, we don't have to take this approach. We can also go back to the old MT ways, 

Why would you go back to a worse way of doing something just because someone voices their opinion? Why would you even say that. 

How does the MT voting BEFORE getting our opinion and then asking our opinion after wards make it so we can't complain about the MT voting before they got the community's opinion? Just because you want our feed back does not change the fact that you already voted and without any of us knowing about it to chime in. Why do we have to receive your sarcastic comments anytime we say something that does not embrace the things you do and say that we don't agree with?? 

• TemplateRex likes this

#26 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 06 October 2018 - 01:54 PM

I strongly disagree with TemplateRex (and Napoleon 1er) here. I will explain why. The element that made Stratego such a great and distinct game is the fact that the pieces are hidden. You can surprise your opponent with new strategies which start with unique setups. I remember in my early days, starting with stratego and eager to learn from the best players around. For example I played Gpet0 (one of the great veterans) and he beated me badly with a pretty unique setup I had never seen before. That was great despite the losing. I remembered the key elements of his setup easily (cause it was a ''traumatic'' loss :)). And started to try it myself. With these strategies I became a better player on a very nice way. I think I would not enjoyed it so much if I just watched some videos of games from Gpet0 or other strong players. Its fun to surprise players and its no fun when your opponent knows exactly how you play and has an easy win because of it. Yes you have to differ your style etc. but not everybody does that or is able to do it. I still like it very much to play against players I never played before so you can surprise each other and dont know what to expect.

This is a very nice posting, DH. I appreciate the description of your reasoning and how you afford us a different point of view that is solidly valid. As much as I am in agreement with you, I also enjoy learning from the many different videos which have been posted and shared by members of this community.

Having said that, I also appreciate the fact that the current protocol asks video posters to garner permission for right of publication. Some people do not care at all, and then there are those that care very much. In either event, requesting permission seems a basic politeness and one may expect (usually) one of two answers: "yes" or "no." From that point, when one has been granted the right, there will be people who either want to watch or choose not to. One of the MT has already stated that the MT is not going to police this matter, but that they will aide those who file legitimate complaints.

• GaryLShelton likes this

#27 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,412 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 06 October 2018 - 02:19 PM

Ryan, we do discuss a lot of things behind the scenes. That only means we're thinking about things on the site. That we have had discussions on site-wide resets,etc, for example, does not mean that we are going to go out and unilaterally change things without seeking public input. Particularly this is the case on anything which would be a dramatic change like that. We certainly would want the community's thoughts on these type of decisions. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

The purpose of this topic is to let everyone know openly what those recent MT discussions have been about. It's a first step to find out our own MT feelings and to keep you apprised a bit more than in the past.

For some things like the video rules there was not overwhelming opinion to change so the status quo will remain unchanged. For issues that would mean a big change we'd certainly be seeking public input on those before implementing. Hope that's plain to everyone.

If there is any other issue that anyone would like to see discussed, feel free to bring it up. The MT will take up the matter and let everyone know our opinions on it, just like we've done here.

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#28 John_the_righteo

John_the_righteo

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 06 October 2018 - 02:46 PM

First of all I want to express my deep thanks to the MT which sacrifice precious time which they could use differently to serve the community of stratego.com.

So I would encourage all people adding a contribution to do this in a respectful way. Not just direct and harsh critics. Raise topics ask for oppinions and get a majority buy in than everyone will be happy and we have a good communication atmosphere.

From my side If someone asks me if I would agree that a video is published afterwards I usually agree. But I wouldn‘t like to have all my games published. Everyone of us had already in games the impression that the opponent knew exactly our setup. And some people do really an intense study of setups. So I would like to keep the existing rule.

For the reseting of accounts to 100. I hold that for a great idea. I do not know one incident when this was misussed by MT, does anyone else? To reset the account to 100 is the last meassure to try to show individuals, that their current behaviour is just not acceptable at all. And I don‘t want to vote for any reset. I trust the MT to use their power in a proper way.

So again thank you guys for making stratego.com a better place. And thank you for your time sacrifice you bring almost every day for this.

John

#29 Wogomite

Wogomite

Captain

• Honorary members
  • 882 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 06 October 2018 - 02:46 PM

Thank you Gary, that is an appropriate and professional response to our voiced concerns. 

#30 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,412 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:18 PM

Another thing is that with some ideas we don't really know how possible they actually are. For example, this business of a site-wide reset is a very dramatic action, certainly, but it may not even be possible. Like requesting game logs, maybe it's too tedious a request and would get turned down on that ground. Many good ideas are just not possible in today's reality here at stratego.com.

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#31 rgillis783

rgillis783

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:16 PM

This may not be the most popular idea but here it is . Permanently Banned players-- Give them the option to APPLY after One year ban for reinstatement to site. I put this forward after looking at how other web sites deal with user issues. We all understand the frustration of these players . The difficulties MT/ADMIN have in dealing with them. This would give the PB player a bit of motivation to clean up their gaming habits. Instead of having them go out and creating new accts and continuing their poor gaming habits it may lead to them to creating new acct and following rules of site. It may give them the sense that there is light at the end of the tunnel and it's not a train. Obviously these players like Trickz and 12 really enjoy the game and are online daily. I also put this forward because if I was in their position a little bit of motivation could not hurt. :)  ;)  B)  

#32 Wogomite

Wogomite

Captain

• Honorary members
  • 882 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:36 PM

That is true, to give the same example through a real life scenario, I know someone that got their drivers licensed revoked and the years just kept being added on. Once this person did not see a light at the end of the tunnel, they said "Oh well, I'll just drive anyway" they did not see a reason to behave because as they saw it, it could not get much worse. I've thought plenty, if the justice system allowed for a fresh restart apon the requirement that the bad behaviour stops, this would cause people an incentive to behave properly. Mt, you are that justice system. With a clean slate, these very toxic players may find a reason to stop being toxic. It may work for some and not for others but either way, even if it works for one, it will have been beneficial to their opponents. The stubbornly toxic players simply stay banned and nothing changes in their behaviour. The ones this idea will be successful for, well, this "clean slate" is solely for them, not the ones it does not work for. If this is successful, mt, the victims of the texocity, and the (former) toxic players all benefit from this atleast in the cases involving the other wise, toxic reports.
  • rgillis783 likes this

#33 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,748 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:38 PM

Past two weeks the MT has taken some internal polls on a few select subjects. Some of which may be considered somewhat controversial, some may not.

Permanent bans will be less permanent (and may be in need of a rename). A player will be exiled for 12 months, after this period (s)he may contact the MT in whichever way to ask for a one time unban. To recap, after 12 months, a player is not automatically unbanned, but may request an unban to the MT. (5-0 vote)

The MT (GaryLShelton, Major nelson, Nortrom, Yellowhat, Losermaker)

• Fairway, rgillis783 and mogul like this

eOMDNAj.png

#34 rgillis783

rgillis783

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:11 PM

I like the thinking MT- now a bit of polish/detail. The PBd player could apply for reinstatement-unban . Would it have to be unanimous vote or majority ?  Next idea and sorry to trouble you with my two cents . I stole this from another popular board game. A get out of Jail Free card/pass. As Wogomite pointed out most of us need no reason to behave/follow the rules but some do . This card or pass may be awarded lets say twice a year by MT for good sportsmanship. This would continue too reinforce positive behavior. Some limitations could/should apply. Such as only good for one time use and can not be awarded to same player. Only good for disconnect/abusive lang cases. This may create too much work for MT ? Good news that's all I got for today ! :lol:

#35 mogul

mogul

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:53 AM

Past two weeks the MT has taken some internal polls on a few select subjects. Some of which may be considered somewhat controversial, some may not.

Permanent bans will be less permanent (and may be in need of a rename). A player will be exiled for 12 months, after this period (s)he may contact the MT in whichever way to ask for a one time unban. To recap, after 12 months, a player is not automatically unbanned, but may request an unban to the MT. (5-0 vote)

The MT (GaryLShelton, Major nelson, Nortrom, Yellowhat, Losermaker)

excellent news, best MT ever!

u1yUa0H.gif

#36 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,412 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:14 AM

I like the thinking MT- now a bit of polish/detail. The PBd player could apply for reinstatement-unban . Would it have to be unanimous vote or majority ? 

It has been proposed in the past by Napoleon 1er but never found enough MT backing. Now we are going ahead and offering potential amnesty to PB'd players. Not all will receive it but some will. Those that do will certainly be on a short leash. Whether we restore a player to the site in this way will probably be based upon the player's known alias actions since his PB. If any PB'd player wishes to be considered for this amnesty, he should contact the MT directly.

Your question about how many MT votes a restoration will require is a good one. This hasn't been decided yet. A PB takes 4 votes in the first place so very possibly it will take the same four votes to repeal the PB.
  • rgillis783 likes this

i77rs4m.jpg

#37 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,412 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 11 October 2018 - 05:03 AM

Someone is clapping but he will have to pm the MT to officially express his interest.
  • Napoleon 1er and mogul like this

i77rs4m.jpg

#38 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,748 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:08 PM

Yes, we'll have to work out the details for this - like with many things :)

• rgillis783 likes this

eOMDNAj.png

#39 mogul

mogul

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:00 PM

Someone is clapping but he will have to pm the MT to officially express his interest.

Thanks Gary, I know you were vouching for me some years ago. You are a great moderator.

• Napoleon 1er likes this

#40 mogul

mogul

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:07 PM

PM sent to Nortrom. Request made for TheLastMiner to get unbanned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users