Moghedien

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:48 AM

Yeah, I am also very curious to see that one.

Another thing: how come that so many players withdraw from this WCO? I cannot remember it from past wco's. 

• Don_Homer likes this

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt

#62 Don_Homer

Don_Homer

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 21 January 2019 - 03:16 PM

Yeah, I am also very curious to see that one.

Another thing: how come that so many players withdraw from this WCO? I cannot remember it from past wco's. 

100% agree. This is a problem that needs to be addressed. To the players quitting I would like to say, think about the tournament and the fun, performing less than expected is part of the game. 

• Nortrom, Napoleon 1er, Moghedien and 3 others like this

Molto Bene, Thats a nica Donut !

#63 Napoleon 2ème

Napoleon 2ème

Lieutenant

• Moderators
  • 635 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 21 January 2019 - 05:42 PM

100% agree. This is a problem that needs to be addressed. To the players quitting I would like to say, think about the tournament and the fun, performing less than expected is part of the game. 

I would add a sentence that I say to many opponents I find online and that I try to convince to play tournaments : " It's the best way to improve and play maybe player with a higher experience from whom you can learn a lot "

• mirmidonas.gr and andreas94 like this
I never lose, I win or I learn…

#64 Capt.gunter

Capt.gunter

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 27 January 2019 - 04:36 PM

hi, i have something to say for the future tournments etc...: in this WCO i had to wait 3 times in a row, the last time i waited more then an hour, the 2 before i waited 15 min and i was gone,the result was 2 times a draw without playing, so for the 3rd time i waited and waited for playing the game but the more i wait the more i don't want to play, when i was giving up he came suddenly so we play the game for me not intresting in the game. My question is for the future : if the 2 players have an agreedment for playing the game, they have MUST show if the other doens't show then he or she will lost game, simple like that (you can give the other player a delay from 15 min) i think that's enough. There will be not exception like no internet etc... because when i was waiting more then an hour i had could do something instead from waiting, what is all your opinion from this? grtz me :)

• Don_Homer likes this

#65 Don_Homer

Don_Homer

Captain

• Members
  • 933 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 27 January 2019 - 05:39 PM

Capt Gunter, I think what you describe is already mentioned in the rules. A player can 'forget' his appointment only one time before there will be some kind of punishment if I recall correctly.

What isnt solved yet is the players that stop the tournament before its finished. We have to do something about it but I think punishment is not the best intervention. I had this idea for future tournaments to give players a little bonus who play till the end. Im thinking of 1 ratingpoint as an example. This is a little counter against players who might get out of a tournament with the intention to hold their rating high but also is a little thing to look up to when the tournament is finished. Of course maybe there are better ideas but I really believe we should think in rewards rather than in punishment, especially because sometimes a player simply cant play anymore for valid reasons. 

#66 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,801 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 27 January 2019 - 05:47 PM

It used to be like that - people found that unfair, so the one time grace was invented. It can happen that a player gets matched with individuals who have to use their one time grace during that match, which can be frustrating.

I'm not sure if altering ratings would be a good idea; it can change pairings. I don't know if the current system allows for manual adjustments either.

"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

See this thread for live gaming updates

See this thread my blog posts

eOMDNAj.png

#67 Don_Homer

Don_Homer

Captain

• Members
  • 933 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 27 January 2019 - 05:49 PM

I'm not sure if altering ratings would be a good idea; it can change pairings. I don't know if the current system allows for manual adjustments either.

I mean after the tournament.

#68 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,801 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 27 January 2019 - 05:54 PM

Me too. For next tournaments. Suppose that could have been a bit more clear from my side :)

It will be an interesting topic for the feedback survey for sure.

• Don_Homer likes this

"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

See this thread for live gaming updates

See this thread my blog posts

eOMDNAj.png

#69 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,254 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 03 February 2019 - 04:27 PM

Has OVERLORD v. Losermaker been published yet? :)

WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series! :D

#70 OVERLORD

OVERLORD

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 03 February 2019 - 05:08 PM

Has OVERLORD v. Losermaker been published yet? :)

Will do when WCO finishes. :)
  • Fairway likes this

#71 Losermaker

Losermaker

Major

• Moderators
  • 1,015 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 03 February 2019 - 09:23 PM

We have both sides uploaded and ready to go ;)

• OVERLORD likes this

#72 OVERLORD

OVERLORD

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:43 PM

Today is the day :)

Enjoy this thrilling game between the World Champion Live & Online and the Runner-up of the championship !

#1 OVERLORD vs #2 Losermaker

EDIT: Video now closed.
  • Losermaker, Fairway and TemplateRex like this

#73 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,254 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:48 PM

Losermaker, where is your side with commentary? :)

WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series! :D

#74 Losermaker

Losermaker

Major

• Moderators
  • 1,015 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:01 PM

Here you go!

https://youtu.be/NlyrZkS7XrY

• Dobby125, Fairway, OVERLORD and 2 others like this

#75 roeczak

roeczak

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,069 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:15 PM

Congrats to John for the double ! Nice lottos there, RAAAA !

• OVERLORD likes this
Roeczak <----- Stratego YT channel
Highest Rating : 966 (Platinum Marshal)

#76 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Captain

• Members
  • 838 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:44 AM

Today is the day :)

Enjoy this thrilling game between the World Champion Live & Online and the Runner-up of the championship !

#1 OVERLORD vs #2 Losermaker 

Im looking forward for your comments and to discuss them :)

https://www.youtube....h?v=wF9ZTTKkdfI

Congratulations! These lottos really paid off for you (major with gen, cap and lieut with colo). Did you know from previous experience with him that most of Losermaker's bombs were on his back row instead of his 3rd row?

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#77 OVERLORD

OVERLORD

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 05 February 2019 - 11:47 AM

Thanks. :)

Actually there wasn't lotto attacks, but calculated-logical risks everyone could have made. As i already knew one bomb (in his right, up from the corner) i was suspected another one on his right; and almost in all of our games with LM, he plays close flag with 3 bombs. 

However, i have realized that his flag was somewhere in the center, so i attacked his captain with my colonel because:

1) "knew" 5 bombs

2) he had a colonel next to the unmoved captain (pretty hard to put a bomb next to it), and even if he had a bomb i couldn't think that the 6th bomb was there.

3) If i was taking that captain i was also trapping his known major and his general in the 3rd place.

The other blind attack i made with my col to his unmoved lieut, was also a calculated risk because i couldn't believe the 6th bomb was in the other's up corner square.

Last blind attack with my general to his major, just sure it couldn't be a bomb.

Biggest agreement of the blind attacks: he had so many unknown pieces: majors, captains, lieuts etc. Where he could place all of them? 4th row next to the other? No, so ATTACK!!!  :)

• TemplateRex and andreas94 like this

#78 Don_Homer

Don_Homer

Captain

• Members
  • 933 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 05 February 2019 - 01:52 PM

Congratiolations with the title Overlord! Youre one (big) step closer in winning everything!

• OVERLORD likes this

#79 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Captain

• Members
  • 838 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 05 February 2019 - 02:09 PM

Thanks. :)

Actually there wasn't lotto attacks, but calculated-logical risks everyone could have made. As i already knew one bomb (in his right, up from the corner) i was suspected another one on his right; and almost in all of our games with LM, he plays close flag with 3 bombs.

However, i have realized that his flag was somewhere in the center, so i attacked his captain with my colonel because:

1) "knew" 5 bombs
2) he had a colonel next to the unmoved captain (pretty hard to put a bomb next to it), and even if he had a bomb i couldn't think that the 6th bomb was there.
3) If i was taking that captain i was also trapping his known major and his general in the 3rd place.

The other blind attack i made with my col to his unmoved lieut, was also a calculated risk because i couldn't believe the 6th bomb was in the other's up corner square.

Last blind attack with my general to his major, just sure it couldn't be a bomb.

Biggest agreement of the blind attacks: he had so many unknown pieces: majors, captains, lieuts etc. Where he could place all of them? 4th row next to the other? No, so ATTACK!!! :)

Thanks for the explanation. You make it sound logical indeed! So I guess the main lesson is that your opponents should better randomize their bomb placements. E.g. putting a bomb on C2 next to a colonel on D2, or bombs on both H2 and J2. Either that, or not let you inside their base and make these calculated risks :)

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#80 OVERLORD

OVERLORD

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 05 February 2019 - 03:28 PM

Thanks for the explanation. You make it sound logical indeed! So I guess the main lesson is that your opponents should better randomize their bomb placements. E.g. putting a bomb on C2 next to a colonel on D2, or bombs on both H2 and J2. Either that, or not let you inside their base and make these calculated risks :)

Indeed, sometimes "crazy" things may work well.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users