#1 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,249 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 20 September 2018 - 09:22 PM

A long time ago now, approximately late 2012,* we had player who knew a thing or two about computer programming and he had a decent relationship with the original game programmers. Some have called him the first moderator. That's not quite right as he was well before the Justice Committee/Moderation Team created by KARAISKAKIS and The Prof in 2013, but he was certainly all we had approaching that on the site for awhile.**

HmmNess didn't have the ability to directly program the game but he did come up with a rule that he was able to get the programmers to install. The big rule he accomplished is what is known as the HmmNess Rule and it's still the prime anti-chasing rule programmed into the site. This was in the spring of 2013. I had just begun the forum a couple months prior.

At first the HmmNess Rule was set to block chasing at 5 chasing moves (full-binds) but then that turned out problematic and it was later adjusted, in May or so, to its current number of 10 chasing moves. Today the rule allows chasing to happen for 9 times and then it blocks the chasing on the tenth move. Without it the amount of frustrating chasing was (and would still be) astronomical. Basically, prior to the rule one player could chase another forever. And they sometimes did. In those early wild days there was no recourse through an MT. HmmNess reported playing an 8 hour game once which must have spurred on his rule.

A lot of people don't know about this rule because chasing doesn't always go that long, but it's there in case it does. And now you know a bit more about it.

* This was in the days prior to Hielco and Nortrom and Sohal when SpacemanSpiff ruled the leaderboards and I clearly remember there being only 27 Silver players and myself making the Top 250 Bronze leaderboard with a 370 ELO. Amazingly small numbers.

** HmmNess is the only forum member I know that is not a part of the Scout - Flagbearer organizational setup. Above his avatar he's listed as "Awesome Member"...check it out. :)
  • Wogomite, rgillis783 and TemplateRex like this

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#2 roeczak

roeczak

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,013 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 21 September 2018 - 12:11 AM

Kudos to HmmNess for at least making this site's gameplay somewhat playable. 

• rgillis783 likes this

Roeczak <----- Stratego YT channel 
Highest Rating : 966 (Platinum Marshal) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users