Fks

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:38 PM

Im sorry but obviously Fairway deserves to be banned here? He specifically called out a player for being an “idiot” and a “Jerk” with out proof of provocation. Clear cut ban please. (I am just looking out for the younger players of the site.)

Well it seems the MT did not take this seriously at all. Which suggests they dont think it is a big offense at all? Which begs the question of why is someone being banned for this. I’m pretty sure if it was lonello doing the banning Nortrom would 100% disagree with that so I wonder what has changed? Is it possible favortisom is being shown by the MT? I really don’t understand why Fairway is not being banned here, he specifically used the word “Jerk” and “Idiot” as target words against another player with out proof of provocation. Even if there was proof surely you cant use such words that are worthy of you being banned even if your opponent is provoking you.
Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#142 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,104 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:44 PM

Well it seems the MT did not take this seriously at all. 

I did–please read:

http://forum.strateg...e-5#entry469419

#143 rgillis783

rgillis783

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:38 PM

I think the difference Fks is that Fairway made a statement about a player here in forum. He was not reported by this gamer in game or here in forum. If said player reads the statement here in the forum they then could MAYBE ask for a case from MT, If one was so inclined .I think many cases could be drummed up for the MT that way. I myself would hope the player would contact Fairway first and ask for the post to be adjusted before MT dragged into it. I also see the MT using there discretion on such cases. 

Edited by rgillis783, 13 January 2019 - 01:20 AM.

#144 tobermoryx

tobermoryx

Major

• Honorary members
  • 1,273 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:55 PM

Seems there are some misconceptions here.

The MT does not have a policy of banning people for any unkind word. In my time doing it there would be a discussion whether the words used could be seen as fair comment, and I'm sure I have seen cases with a not guilty verdict since I left where harsh words were used, but that it was seen as justifiable.

Nor does Gary sit in MT voting bans on anyone saying idiot etc. It depends on the context.

In this case, having looked at it, I think i would have vote NG. It seems clear enough the player was stalling as the chronology of the chat makes no sense otherwise. So I would consider the comments to have been provoked. Though it is possible I suppose that the accused made the initial comments earlier in the game and the stalling was provoked by that. The next step penalty procedure does not mean that any previously convicted player will get a ban if they later say 'idiot' in another match, as, if the idiot comment was deemed justified, then it would not count as a further conviction.

I guess what happened here is that the Iceberg player had already been reported for abusive behaviour, and had so established a reputation. As in all walks of life anyone with a perceived bad character is less likely to get the benefit of whatever doubts there may be. 

#145 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,104 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:13 PM

I think the difference...

Hey, Brother Ray, I'm sorry to tell you, but I think you miss Fks' whole point about this matter and about his "complaint."

#146 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,104 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:15 PM

Regardless of reputation, calling someone an "idiot," even if the person was a convicted drug felon, is not reason enough for a ban...even for one week. It's overkill, tober...

#147 rgillis783

rgillis783

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:26 PM

Hey, Brother Ray, I'm sorry to tell you, but I think you miss Fks' whole point about this matter and about his "complaint."

You are correct as always KMC just tossing my 2 cents before NFL starts plus Fairway is cool in my book !  :D

#148 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,517 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:27 PM

Personally, this has been a rough and busy week. Like an other MT colleague, I, too, fell victim of an annoying flu/cold and thus have not spend much time on matters like this. 

Things I have put the little energy I had had past week include a very succesful team cup tournament today (11 teams), preparing to address the international community present at the team cup tournament about maintaining a stable and healthy playerbase and looking for growing opportunities as Stratego.

My little cheatsheet while addressing the players present with all sorts of positive developments in the world of Stratego (sheet in Dutch..) 
Spoiler

You probably read "stable and healthy playerbase". This applies to both online and offline. Yes, we have not (yet) gotten software improvements we need and that is frustrating - for all of us - but we are still trying to keep a healthy and stable playerbase.

If you're playing a game online (and offline for that matter) you're entitled to having a game free of harrassment, cheating, unsportmanlike behavior etc. 

If you go out of your way to open the chatbox in order to insult your opponent, well, guess what? you've just deprived your opponent of the above. "Don't open the message box" is a very weak and flawed argument. Don't act against the nature of a healthy and fair competition and you will not get punished after being reported.

A player is allowed to play until the very last piece. I personally don't like it when I'm up 12 high pieces and someone still draws it out till the very last piece but it doesn't give me the right to start insulting them.

In the game this case was about, there was still some to play for. Little chance? sure but it most likely was a good game and was nearing its conclusion. The "time waste" comment was unncessary and a display of unsporting behavior. The game is over when the opponent surrenders. If the opponent plays on, (s)he may feel there is a chance of winning or drawing the game, even if you feel there is not. There are plenty of games I play, I know, 200 moves before the end, I will win it. Due to skill/insight difference, my opponent may feel different. Perhaps they even see something I did not and manage to pull off a surprise, who knows. 

Ultimately, two players are playing a game to have fun. If one feels his/her time is being wasted, it basically displays a severe lack of respect for the opponent. (s)he is putting in his/her best effort (excluding trolling..) and is being told they are wasting time.

Last but not least, I feel Fks has been spreading, despite being informed differently, an incorrect display of events.

MR ICEBERG did not get banned for saying idiot. I gave him a guilty vote (1st degree AB) based on the fact he insulted the opponent by using the word "idiot" and made a needless grieving comment. In a prior case, he was close to a 2nd degree AB, but was given a 1st degree AB. The offense committed, for me, justifies a 1st degree AB.

As a result of the stepping rule, 1+1 = 2. If MR ICEBERG decided not to act the way he did, he would not receive a one week ban. If this had been his first offense, he would have received the 1st degree AB without anything on top of that.

So, no, calling your opponent " idiot " doesn't get you banned for a week. Being repeatedly reported for offenses does, no matter how light they may be. Apparently the 1st degree AB reminder letter wasn't enough to discourage negative behavior. It's easy to avoid: Don't use the chatbox to send negative messages.

As for fairway's comments, I've not read them, yet. 

Nortrom

• TheOptician likes this
"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

See this thread for live gaming updates

#149 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,517 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:30 PM

Since this discussion is taking place here and in the MT/community thread, I'll also paste my post here:

Personally, this has been a rough and busy week. Like an other MT colleague, I, too, fell victim of an annoying flu/cold and thus have not spend much time on matters like this. 

Things I have put the little energy I had had past week include a very succesful team cup tournament today (11 teams), preparing to address the international community present at the team cup tournament about maintaining a stable and healthy playerbase and looking for growing opportunities as Stratego.

My little cheatsheet while addressing the players present with all sorts of positive developments in the world of Stratego (sheet in Dutch..) 
Spoiler

You probably read "stable and healthy playerbase". This applies to both online and offline. Yes, we have not (yet) gotten software improvements we need and that is frustrating - for all of us - but we are still trying to keep a healthy and stable playerbase.

If you're playing a game online (and offline for that matter) you're entitled to having a game free of harrassment, cheating, unsportmanlike behavior etc. 

If you go out of your way to open the chatbox in order to insult your opponent, well, guess what? you've just deprived your opponent of the above. "Don't open the message box" is a very weak and flawed argument. Don't act against the nature of a healthy and fair competition and you will not get punished after being reported.

A player is allowed to play until the very last piece. I personally don't like it when I'm up 12 high pieces and someone still draws it out till the very last piece but it doesn't give me the right to start insulting them.

In the game this case was about, there was still some to play for. Little chance? sure but it most likely was a good game and was nearing its conclusion. The "time waste" comment was unncessary and a display of unsporting behavior. The game is over when the opponent surrenders. If the opponent plays on, (s)he may feel there is a chance of winning or drawing the game, even if you feel there is not. There are plenty of games I play, I know, 200 moves before the end, I will win it. Due to skill/insight difference, my opponent may feel different. Perhaps they even see something I did not and manage to pull off a surprise, who knows. 

Ultimately, two players are playing a game to have fun. If one feels his/her time is being wasted, it basically displays a severe lack of respect for the opponent. (s)he is putting in his/her best effort (excluding trolling..) and is being told they are wasting time.

Last but not least, I feel Fks has been spreading, despite being informed differently, an incorrect display of events.

MR ICEBERG did not get banned for saying idiot. I gave him a guilty vote (1st degree AB) based on the fact he insulted the opponent by using the word "idiot" and made a needless grieving comment. In a prior case, he was close to a 2nd degree AB, but was given a 1st degree AB. The offense committed, for me, justifies a 1st degree AB.

As a result of the stepping rule, 1+1 = 2. If MR ICEBERG decided not to act the way he did, he would not receive a one week ban. If this had been his first offense, he would have received the 1st degree AB without anything on top of that.

So, no, calling your opponent " idiot " doesn't get you banned for a week. Being repeatedly reported for offenses does, no matter how light they may be. Apparently the 1st degree AB reminder letter wasn't enough to discourage negative behavior. It's easy to avoid: Don't use the chatbox to send negative messages.

As for fairway's comments, I've not read them, yet. 

Nortrom

• GaryLShelton likes this

#150 Fairway

Fairway

General

• Moderators
  • 2,965 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:21 PM

Fairway, on 11 Jan 2019 - 8:23 PM, said:snapback.png

I can confirm Kopros is a TOTAL and ABSOLUTE jerk. I played with him about 3 hours ago and I soundly whipped him. I was up a general, major, and captain and his highest piece was a captain. He then proceded to type me taunts and then took 20 seconds per move every SINGLE time, and the game lasted well past an hour. As it had taken so long I needed to go but he kept taking forever to move. So I asked for a draw and he accepted- at least I got 5 points, but should have gotten an easy 18. Just didn't have the time. I was fuming for a while after that.

I was playing on mobile so don't know how to get screenshots of anything. Next time I play him and he acts this way a report will be coming- he is the type of idiot that makes this game unenjoyable.

This was my post, Nortrom. Apparently it's been hidden/deleted as I can't find it anymore on this thread, not sure why. Whoever did that, I'd like them to reinstate my post.

WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series! :D

#151 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,517 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 13 January 2019 - 11:44 PM

It's in the topics of abusive behavior thread. Visible and well.

Perhaps something has changed in the meantime that I've missed. If it was in this specific thread, I can see why it was moved to the AB topic.

#152 Losermaker

Losermaker

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:07 AM

All the report threads have now been moved to the new section, please visit it to make reports.

http://forum.strateg...rum/62-reports/

#153 dalee

dalee

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Colonel

Posted 3 weeks ago

Patras Stratego Team's official website, now also in English language.

You can visit our website to check our news and upcoming events.

Choose your language option, English or Greek, and follow Patras ST!!!

patrasstrategoteam.wordpress.com

Edited by dalee, 3 weeks ago.

• GaryLShelton, Don_Homer, TheOptician and 3 others like this

#154 Don_Homer

Don_Homer

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 3 weeks ago

Nice work mister! I like the unique location in a library! Great pictures.

• dalee likes this

Molto Bene, Thats a nica Donut !

#155 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,889 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 3 weeks ago

I especially like the American numbering style on those pieces in your pics, dalee.  The sets displayed look very much like my old Milton-Bradley American versions of the game.  I can see the marhsal is #1.  Is that what you guys really use over there in Patras?

• dalee likes this

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#156 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,889 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 3 weeks ago

So, do you actually use American numbering, dalee?  Or or the Patras pics just stylized, more or less?

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#157 dalee

dalee

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Colonel

Posted 3 weeks ago

Unfortunately, we don't use american numbering, but for us, Marshal is the number 1 ;)

#158 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,889 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 3 weeks ago

You mean that you have the Marshal at 10, right?

i77rs4m.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users