#101 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,519 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:48 AM

Pending admin action MR ICEBERG will be banned for a week. He will also receive a 2nd degree warning letter from admins as this is his second recent offense.
This latest event comes from a game against Verti_GO.

As for the sudden uproar, it was recently announced that the penalty scheme has been reworked and that each offense now adds up.

The player was previously convicted for 1st degree AB. Now again. 1 + 1 = 2. Apparently he did not take the warning given to heart. The impression that using for example the word "idiot" leads to a one week ban is false. 

http://forum.strateg...ing-rule-added/

http://forum.strateg...-penalty-level/

"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

See this thread for live gaming updates

#102 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,915 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:49 AM

If everything was upto Gary we'd be getting 2 month bans for saying Heck and Frickers. 

Well, the road we travelled down before wasn't about H and F, US, but clearly worse so let's be fair. Yes, I want a few more stop signs on the road of civility than you do, that's true.  Nevertheless, I think we understand each other and there's no reason to revisit that.  ;)   

In fact, I do agree with you guys that some things are more needful of tough skin and maybe that's even the case here.  On the other hand, anyone who's been burned one time already needs to wise up and be nicer.  No one should be able to continuously offend in a small way and get away with it.  Otherwise, we have the trickz scenario all over again.  So the guy made his own bed, took his risk, and this time the he was maybe burned.  That's life. Maybe next time the call goes the other way.  It's one reason why we have a 12 month sunset policy and why we also instituted an extra step in the AB penalty schedule with the current MT.  Those features are there to help the truly good people who occasionally get caught in the snare.

• PHAETHOΝ likes this

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#103 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:45 AM

Wow.. This is actually really bad. Can the MT share which Mods voted that calling someone an idiot let alone being provoked gets banned. It may not seem like a big deal but you guys are setting a precedence to where calling someone a Idiot - stupid*Dumb*low IQ player is now worthy of being banned. 

This case should be apealed to the context of the situation there is a claim of abuse from MR ICEBERG that has been completely ignored. Called someone stalling in his game an idiot *gets banned*. I like each moderator personally but professionally maybe it is time for a switch if this is call for a ban. 

Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#104 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,915 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:55 AM

Fks, a man by man breakdown will never happen for any decision. It causes dissensions which can be easily avoided by not doing so. That said, I can safely relate that this offense would've received a first from the team based upon its own merits. But as MR ICEBERG already had a first recently it became a second based upon the stepping policy we have always had which we advanced to rule status at the link Nortrom gave above.

Although I will say I would have been a first here also, I personally have a somewhat different view of the event, as to me it only appears MR ICEBERG did the taunting, whereas you fellows seem to have the belief that he was prodded toward his comments by Verti_GO's talk or actions.

Take the case in point: Before saying the 'idiot' name MR ICEBERG gives a rather haughty 'bye bye'. After that, Verti_GO wishes to play to the bitter end and gets called for wasting ICEBERG's time. However, that can't be officially upheld because anyone has a right to play until their flag is captured, unless they are abusively wasting time. If there had been 15 second abuse or intentional running down of his buffer by Verti_GO, then he'd be wrong. But these specific charges are not made by ICEBERG in the BattleChat. As such, there's nothing anyone can say Verti_GO did wrong and this otherwise first by MR ICEBERG becomes a second.
  • Nortrom, Losermaker and PHAETHOΝ like this

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#105 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:22 AM

Hello everyone and happy new year.

I want to report a player for abusive language. It's not a big deal, but I'm here to have fun, not to be insulted.
It was a clear defeat for me, and when I opened the chat window to write gg, he insulted me for no reason. I barely spent 30 seconds to write.
My last sentence was not ideal either, but I felt frustrated. My apologies for that.

Here are the screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/pypIeX1

Thanks.

Why is someone who is 1 sqaure away from the flag asking for his opponent to give up and then to not waste his time surely it shouldn't take more then 5 seconds to collect flag? Why is the buffer time being hid by Verti_go? Why is someone being banned for calling a player an idiot?

#106 Verti_GO

Verti_GO

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 08 January 2019 - 01:18 PM

I am more curios as to why he mentioned “Verti_go” was stalling then Mr Iceberg calling him an idiot for it. I understand the site is family friendly but the MT just set a precedence that calling someone an Idiot will get you a temp ban that can lead in to a perm ban and Stratego can’t afford that. Current Moderators and tournament players have said worse in battle chats so it just doesn’t seem right to give MR iceberg any punishment and ask Vertigo to supply a screen shot with his buffer on it to see if he was actually stalling or not in his game since Mr Iceberg could have been provoked in to calling vertigo an idiot. (Im not saying Vertigo stalled I am saying it could be a possibilty. If he is taking 30 seconds to write gg it might be better to forget the gg and just surrender)

"idiot" isn't offensive. No one should be getting banned for merely saying idiot. 

I gotta agree with US and Fks here. I missed this case over Christmas/New years. I don't know what it is like in other countries but over here 'idiot' is hardly deemed worthy of any punishment and is used very often in a joking manner. If you got offended by someone saying that to you, you would be considered to have soft skin and told to toughen up ;). I could understand if he repeated it multiple times (say 3-5) but for a once off I think it's a bit rough.

It didn't take me 30 seconds to write gg, it took me 30 seconds to write all the content of the chat, which as you can see in the screenshot is greater than what is shown. It was not my first game against Mr. Iceberg. In previous games he used abusive language when he believed that his victory was assured. This particular case is not the best example of abusive language, I have to admit it, but if I published the post it was because Mr Iceberg is a clear offender.

It was my first post in the forum, and I didn't realize that when capturing the screen the buffer did not appear. I apologize for that. You can see in other screenshots that I have uploaded that if I want to show the full chat window there is no space for the buffer and vice versa. My computer screen is not very big. You probably do not believe me, but I assure you my buffer time was over 4 minutes. I was not stalling at all. It would have been better for me to show the time buffer and cut part of the chat window off. But as I said in my first post, my last sentence was not ideal either. But I wanted to be fair and show all the content.

It's not a trauma for me that someone calls me an idiot, I'm not soft skill. I just don't think that's the right way to behave. If Mr Iceberg is sanctioned or not, I really don't care. If I have to play against him again, it will be enough for me not to open the chat window. But it is a recurrent behavior in him, and if he perceives that this behavior goes unpunished, it may be more serious in the future. That's my opinion. If moderators or most of the forum members think differently, I will accept the decision without question.

Edited by Verti_GO, 08 January 2019 - 01:28 PM.

• GaryLShelton, Nortrom and Losermaker like this

#107 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:47 PM

Obviously it is a trauma. If it will make Verti_go feel safe we should ban every player who trash talks his opponent. Welcome to Stratego.com 2019, The only place in the world where you will be banned for calling your opponent an idiot.
  • KissMyCookie and UnladenSwallow like this

#108 rgillis783

rgillis783

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 08 January 2019 - 04:41 PM

I was instructed NOT to send GG at end of match if in a winning position Fks. It can be interpreted as "abusive"-"unsportsmen like" and that is how the MT may view it.  Not sure if we should back Verti_Go into a corner for making a case. It is in the Mts lap now. Change is most effective when done from with in ! Don't open chat is also a good answer here. 

On a side note IF I send ya--"tool" in chat it means ur a "good wrench"  :D

Edited by rgillis783, 08 January 2019 - 05:05 PM.

#109 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,915 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:10 PM

Obviously it is a trauma. If it will make Verti_go feel safe we should ban every player who trash talks his opponent. Welcome to Stratego.com 2019, The only place in the world where you will be banned for calling your opponent an idiot.

To be precise, MR ICEBERG has only been banned one week.  It doesn't mean he will be PB'd for a similar offense. In my time in the MT that penalty has generally required a sufficiently bad episode.

• Nortrom and Verti_GO like this

i77rs4m.jpg

#110 Verti_GO

Verti_GO

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:07 PM

If you want to ignore the context and stick exclusively to the word "idiot" as an isolated event, the discussion has no point.

Edited by Verti_GO, 08 January 2019 - 09:10 PM.

#111 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,104 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 08 January 2019 - 11:43 PM

If you want to ignore the context and stick exclusively to the word "idiot" as an isolated event, the discussion has no point.

That's not fair at all. Anyone here, and I believe all of us, would understand that it is not nice for anyone to call someone else an "idiot"...there is no argument there...we would all agree with you...how all of us would tolerate the comment is purely subjective. What I believe Fks is concerned about (and rightly so) is that by use of a rather common and ultimately benign word in the "gaming world" has been the basis for a ban...even if the ban is temporary and for one week.

It is clear that you felt deeply offended by being called an "idiot" by someone who was acting the role of a sore loser, but now you are arguing against "point of view." Context? Okay, that is an excellent point from which to start...the context is you were in a match with an opponent who could not tolerate how the game was going...win or lose is less relevant in this context than the final events of that match. In context, you wanted to express a very simply message: "Good game." This is fair, this demonstrates good sportsmanship, and is ultimately a friendly gesture. Then, this player decides to use the opportunity to insult you–there is nothing good about this at all. Was it rude? Yes. Was it uncalled for? Yes. Was it unnecessary? Probably so.

Now, in the greater and broader context of things here at this site, so often we have cautioned players that by using the "BattleChat" that they are taking a certain amount of risk by doing so...no one is obligated to use it, or to even respond to it when receiving a message, and there is always a fifty-fifty chance of getting a message back that is unwanted–those are the odds and the reality of things in context of this site. You wanted to send a friendly message, but your opponent was not interested in being friendly. That is really a pity, but unfortunately, such jerks do exist on this site.

Just because you sent a message in good spirit does not insure that it will be received as such, and you cannot expect your opponent to engage with you on the level you want.

In short, if he had called you something truly vulgar, or had launched an offensive against your family and friends, then I would say such a person needs a lesson in the wood-shed. He called you an idiot. Why should it matter to you what your opponent thinks of you??? Their opinion is just ONE opinion and should count for NOTHING!!! Instead, you allowed the insult to affect you, to disturb you, and to upset you enough that you wanted a kind of justice. I understand very well...no one here knows exactly how this match unfolded and how you felt being given a nasty reply...we all have some idea about as we have all received some kind of idiotic reply of this kind. Still, you keep posting in reply to Fks' arguments, and you seem, at least to me, to be incredibly defensive...why is that? You didn't do anything wrong...or did you? Do you feel that you may have done something during gameplay to upset your opponent?

At any rate, the main part of Fks' argument, I believe, is that people should not have to fear being banned because they use terms that are basically innocuous compared with all of the other expletives that are available and are too often used. I agree with Fks...he has a very valid point.

Buck up, never say die, and let these kinds of chats be like water off of a duck's back...please try not to let it offend you too much.

Ciao!

KMC

#112 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 08 January 2019 - 11:55 PM

I believe there is no proof to your claims that I have seen regarding the context, Im not calling you a liar but usually proof is needed to make a claim. You reported someone for calling you an Idiot.. lol. now thats whats he is being banned for he also made a claim of abuse which the MT are ignoring due to him not being a forum member although the proof is right in the game chat. Your case should be invalid since it is not showing the complete situation. Someone should not be getting banned for calling another player an idiot. Not when we have 5k players not when we have 100m.

#113 Verti_GO

Verti_GO

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:56 AM

This is definitely my last post on this topic. I didn't feel deeply offended. I felt frustrated by the repeated bad behavior of this player on PREVIOUS occasions. But I have no proof of that. My mistake. I didn't do anything wrong. I have no proof of that either. My mistake again. So... lesson learned. And closed case.

#114 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:29 AM

This is definitely my last post on this topic. I didn't feel deeply offended. I felt frustrated by the repeated bad behavior of this player on PREVIOUS occasions. But I have no proof of that. My mistake. I didn't do anything wrong. I have no proof of that either. My mistake again. So... lesson learned. And closed case.

I dont have a problem with you. It is ok to report anyone you wish for anything. I have a problem with the volunteer moderators banning players for calling an opponent a idiot. It opens the door to if you call your opponent dumb stupid or that his play was idiotic you will now be banned. Has anyone seen someone ever get banned for this in anything in life?

#115 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,915 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 09 January 2019 - 06:07 AM

Fks, you've made your point most clearly. It's a fair point and duly noted. Although this decision is done, the good news is that your comments will be heard for next time as well.

The only thing I want to add is that in your Chicago Tournament I never heard one person call another "idiot" all the day long. Not once, nor even anything like it. Did you?

i77rs4m.jpg

#116 UnladenSwallow

UnladenSwallow

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:31 PM

I'm reporting FKS. Never before in my life have I witnessed such vitriol from this young man. This is a family friendly website and frankly, this crass vernacular is simply inexcusable. I hereby request a 1 week ban for this gentleman. 

https://imgur.com/a/1w3wedv

• Fks likes this

#117 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,104 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:47 PM

I'm reporting FKS. Never before in my life have I witnessed such vitriol from this young man. This is a family friendly website and frankly, this crass vernacular is simply inexcusable. I hereby request a 1 week ban for this gentleman. 

https://imgur.com/a/1w3wedv

The Forum Union has taken an interest in this case, but as our current protocol is in support of the current MT, we have no desire to step on any toes; therefore, this matter will be reviewed discreetly and no decision shall be rendered that is in direct conflict with the MT.

PkZkbKY.png

Thank you for your submission.

The Forum Union

#118 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:56 PM

:wub: Rip Fks.

#119 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,104 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:59 PM

:wub: Rip Fks.

Oh, Ye of little faith!!! 

#120 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Tournament Manager
  • 3,290 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:18 AM

:wub: Rip Fks.

Rip is your fave. For the benefit of the oldies, what does it mean?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users