General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,710 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 13 October 2018 - 02:04 PM

i like the idea of renaming with the opposite of the offensive name

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#22 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 13 October 2018 - 05:32 PM

If you do that people will do more offensive names to see what happens. Not a good Idea.
Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#23 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• Moderators
  • 2,482 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 13 October 2018 - 06:02 PM

We'll also run out of names at some point.

"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

See this thread for live gaming updates

#24 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,067 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 13 October 2018 - 09:45 PM

Hot---cha---da---da---da . . . I've got a million of 'em ! ! ! 

@Fks–Does this mean you carry a low level of faith in your fellow gamers?  ;)  :lol:

If your theory were true, then the renamed accounts would have taken the opportunity at hand to rebel against having lost their original offensive names–thus, I disagree with you. You have no proof they will, and the fact that these dudes haven't rebelled go against your theory. :blush:

#25 Wogomite

Wogomite

Captain

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 13 October 2018 - 10:09 PM

Then at that point, maybe deleting them will be a more popular option.

#26 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 13 October 2018 - 10:11 PM

I can gaurentee it. The reason they haven't rebelled is they don't get any attention besides the renamed username which is more of an annoyance to them and people view it as wasting time building up ELO on an offensive name account just to have it renamed to the usual date.

It's like people posting troll twitter comments to Gordon Ramsay just so they can get hated on by him or get some savage reply and many other things apply. People will create trash usernames just to see what will happen and maybe even report themselves. Creating more timewasting jobs to Administration and MT.

The thing you should be asking for here is to stop inappropriate names from being created in the first place.
I also don't see the point in changing the current system. I disagree it's a problem and this is something used in many MMO styled games.

As for carrying low level faith in my fellow gamers... I wonder if that's a joke :)

On a side note your possibly taking away valid usernames for legit players who might want them and giving them to players who don't deserve it.
Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#27 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,733 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 13 October 2018 - 10:18 PM

Originally, the procedure was thought to be only temporary. That is, we would give the offending user a chance to submit a new name or we would just give him one. However, the number of people who have come up with their own new and acceptable names is very small. Most that we renamed have simply just remained with the temporarily-intended "Renamed" username. I didn't realize that this was a problem until now, but with all these comments I can see that it now is.

Solutions? I don't like the renaming to another name as KMC has suggested. For one, you would not know that they were actually renamed names when they are so doggone nice.🙂 For two, we'd have to remain creative to keep up some kind of differentiation. Would our MT choices remain confusing?

What I would suggest to everyone is that we apply some pressure to these people by making the time limit mandatory instead of just suggested. If the offending user does not supply us with a new and acceptable name within one month, then we will just ban that person indefinitely until he does. This would eliminate all the "Renamed" usernames that have obviously become confusing.

The only time a "Renamed(date)" account would be seen would be in that one month between the MT decision and either banning or receiving a better name from the user.

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#28 Wogomite

Wogomite

Captain

• Honorary members
  • 881 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 13 October 2018 - 10:53 PM

What I would suggest to everyone is that we apply some pressure to these people by making the time limit mandatory instead of just suggested. If the offending user does not supply us with a new and acceptable name within one month, then we will just ban that person indefinitely until he does. This would eliminate all the "Renamed" usernames that have obviously become confusing.

The only time a "Renamed(date)" account would be seen would be in that one month between the MT decision and either banning or receiving a better name from the user.

I like your first idea. The second is not bad except that it puts double work on mt and admins. We don't want admins have to change one account twice. If a name is obviously innaproriate, I don't think they should be automatically allowed to rename themself especially if it inconviences mt and admin to do so. If they wanted a better name, they should have thought of that in a mature manor when they created the account to start with. I do think KMCs idea is a decent one. If we don't want to delete them altogether but do want to differentiate a renamed account with the current renamed ×/××/×× process, maybe we could simply add a mark at the end of a renamed account to let everyone know they were renamed. Something like 'new name'-RN 01. RN standing for renamed. If not adding RN# at end of the new name, maybe something like this that we all can clearly see it is a renamed account. This is only if we think it's necessary to make a renamed account obvious to everyone that it was renamed.
I personally don't know if it matters much that it is known it was a renamed account. The important thing is we know who the person is from that point forward. Knowing it was renamed does not tell me who he was renamed from, just that it was renamned. It's kind of meaningless info without knowing his previous name.

#29 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,733 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 14 October 2018 - 05:06 AM

Well, Ryan, if I understand you correctly, you would suggest doing away with the whole one month limbo period and instead just ban the ill-named accounts forthwith. Is this correct? I like this idea if so.

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#30 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,067 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 14 October 2018 - 06:48 AM

Up to this point, with the exception of the QA player naming countless accounts "OJ...etc," it seems several of those renamed players are still on game-side using those accounts. If you, however, ban accounts for inappropriate names, if Fks' suggestion holds true, then you have increased the odds of a new offensive named account from 33.3% up to 90%. As it stands, such a person has three choices when their account is renamed:

1) They can accept it and use the account

2) They can create a new account (and still use the renamed)

3) They can walk away from Stratego for good

(I'm not counting all of the variants that arise from the choice made...these are their three basic choices). Just as an example, I would offer that if my account were renamed, I would rather start over on a new account then go through the effort and time of writing to MT for a specific rename, sit around waiting for that account to be re-activated, all the while when I can simply create a new account and get instant results. Poor idea, I think.

I am not convinced by Fks' statement, that

I can gaurentee it.

In truth, Fks cannot, but what he wrote is possible regarding how some of these people may view the matter.

Fks–

As for carrying low level faith in my fellow gamers... I wonder if that's a joke :)

Absolutely YES!  :lol:

On a side note your possibly taking away valid usernames for legit players who might want them and giving them to players who don't deserve it.

Here I agree in that I WANTED the name Fks and then you come waltzing in here and snag it away, you reprobate!  :ph34r:

In seriousness, this statement does not hold up for me, Fks. There is always a chance that the name you want is taken...that goes for ALL sites, all email providers, all anywhere on the internet. If a person cannot come up with an alternate name, then...they probably should not be allowed internet access in the first place. :D

#31 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,710 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 14 October 2018 - 08:20 AM

The basic question is: how to punish people with an offensive name? Banning them is to easy and to harsh, the goal of this website is to promote stratego and every person who loves this game shall be allowed to play, even those who have or have had bad behaviours. The first step is to show them they are doing wrong and help them to behave correctly. Only if they continue in a repeated way in their bad behaviour we can ban them permanently. Permanent ban shall be the absolute last recourse to be applied only with multi-recidivists. permanently ban somebody who has used a bad name is like putting in jail for life somebody who has exceeded a speed limit. It is not in proportion.

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#32 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,067 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 14 October 2018 - 08:33 AM

I suppose the easiest and most accessible way is the manner in which these cases are being handled now:

Renamed xx/xx/xx

If other players here find it confusing, well, keep a tiny journal (there are not that many renamed accounts), and check it when you have the misfortune of being paired up with them. It is not time consuming and it is very easy to do...if you have a computer. If you are playing by phone, then, well, just try to adapt.

As for educating these people...yes...it is important to set a good example, but I fear that too many of these folks who choose to "stir the pot" really don't care what you and I think about it. So, as Fks suggests, sometimes these people want to annoy, and offend, and cause trouble, just for the sake of causing the problem.

Easiest and most efficient way of educating them is renaming them as quickly as possible.

#33 UnladenSwallow

UnladenSwallow

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Marshal

Posted 14 October 2018 - 02:15 PM

Hot---cha---da---da---da . . . I've got a million of 'em ! ! ! 

@Fks–Does this mean you carry a low level of faith in your fellow gamers?  ;)  :lol:

If your theory were true, then the renamed accounts would have taken the opportunity at hand to rebel against having lost their original offensive names–thus, I disagree with you. You have no proof they will, and the fact that these dudes haven't rebelled go against your theory. :blush:

As per your suggestion...

Can I choose an innocuous name (like "Scooby Doo") and as it be renamed to the opposite, i.e. something offensive? :)

• KissMyCookie likes this

#34 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,067 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 14 October 2018 - 02:49 PM

As per your suggestion...

Can I choose an innocuous name (like "Scooby Doo") and as it be renamed to the opposite, i.e. something offensive? :)

Absolutely! I don't see why not. If you can slip it by customercare, well...the possibilities are endless. You can go from (while we're on Scooby-Doo), Shaggy to Shagger. :lol:

#35 Wogomite

Wogomite

Captain

• Honorary members
  • 881 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 14 October 2018 - 06:15 PM

Yes Gary, I am for doing away with the month thing. I believe any player that chooses a name that is to be changed for innapropriate reasons should forfeit the right of choosing a new one..they should have thought about it earlier.

As for taking notes and keeping track of all the renamed accounts manually..I don't think so. So I have to write the name, write down the tactics used and rememeber to pull out my notes EVERY time I play a ranked game? I should not have to do this because of another persons poor judgment. Either delete the name or change it to something I can store in my brains database without the help of notes.

#36 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,067 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 14 October 2018 - 06:52 PM

In summation...and I address this to the MT...there are far more vital and pressing matters to be discussed than "renamed" accounts.

The MT has a current system, and if it is confusing for some, but not for others; if it keeps these players from creating a mass of unwanted accounts because banning/naming them will impose a wrath unlike anything we have seen, then leave it alone; and, if someone does not want to keep track of them (understandably so), then they will have to find a way to deal with it.

What could be more pressing?

Shortening the setup time

A game clock that actually works

automatic computer/system recognition of a draw

Double chase recognition

yeah...these seem to have more weight and importance.

#37 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• Moderators
  • 2,482 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 14 October 2018 - 07:19 PM

Best you focus on non-software changes.

• texaspete09 and Wogomite like this

"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

See this thread for live gaming updates

#38 Wogomite

Wogomite

Captain

• Honorary members
  • 881 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 14 October 2018 - 07:43 PM

All the things KMC mentioned as "more important" are all things out of mts control. The one thing he says to dismiss in light of the "important things" is IN mts control.

Manager: "what are you guys doing organizing the store, we need updated advertising from the owner."

Employee: "ummm what does that have to do with us. What ever you say, we will just leave it messy then"

Manger: "good, you can organize after they update advertising"

Employee: "are we missing something?😕😕😕"

#39 Wogomite

Wogomite

Captain

• Honorary members
  • 881 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 14 October 2018 - 10:29 PM

I beg of you...and I address this to the MT, for the players that are not confused by renamed ×/××/×× accounts, they clearly don't care much about their Elo or have a capability mentally to distinguish a difference from one player to another. As for the players that do get confused by renamed ×/××/×× accounts, we do care about Elo and can distinguish a difference between obvious different players. Please do not make the lot of us suffer by making us continue enduring these current renamned×/××/×× accounts.

#40 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,733 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 15 October 2018 - 12:00 AM

Please do not make the lot of us suffer by making us continue enduring these current renamned×/××/×× accounts.

Ryan, we'll discuss it in mod chat.
  • Wogomite likes this

i77rs4m.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users