#1 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• Moderators
  • 2,213 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 13 September 2018 - 11:10 PM

In here, suggestions, discussions, feedback etc can be placed, as a means to keep the respective report threads for reports and also to further improve the community / MT relation.

"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

#2 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• Moderators
  • 2,213 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:34 AM

Thread is now no longer hidden and active.

"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

#3 Fairway

Fairway

General

• Junior Tournament Management
  • 2,826 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 08 October 2018 - 12:21 AM

I would like to propose to the MT the idea of a quick arena (QA) rating.

• FGP_ likes this

WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series!  :D

#4 Wogomite

Wogomite

Captain

• NASF Committee
  • 881 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 08 October 2018 - 02:25 AM

Fairway, are you suggesting MT put in a request to admins for this on the sites rankings or that it is manually done on the forums like kleir and nasf ranking?

#5 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,531 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 08 October 2018 - 02:45 AM

I think Fairway means a new native, on-site feature. It is a wonderful idea. Everyone can agree on it. Why not separate the 40 pc and QA rankings?

Just give us a programmer for a couple months....
  • Fairway and FGP_ like this

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#6 Fairway

Fairway

General

• Junior Tournament Management
  • 2,826 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 08 October 2018 - 03:26 AM

Yes, that is what I mean. A separate ranking for full and QA games. I'm not sure if that is even feasible at all but probably worth a suggestion, right?

• Don_Homer likes this

WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series!  :D

#7 Wogomite

Wogomite

Captain

• NASF Committee
  • 881 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 08 October 2018 - 01:28 PM

Gary, if its about cost for the owners, do you think something like this can be put together by us to make happen? I think even that is a long shot and I'm not even sure how much something like that costs but let's say a bunch of us donate 20$ or 50$ to the cause. Obviously the more people that would pitch in, the cheaper it would be for everyone. If nothing else, if we asked the owners about this, it may just be the thing to show them how serious we are and might just be what gets them to do it for us, all expenses paid.

#8 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,531 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 08 October 2018 - 06:53 PM

Gary, if its about cost for the owners, do you think something like this can be put together by us to make happen?

One would think, Ryan. I wish I knew. Seems to me that the point people would have to be Dutch speakers. I'd definitely donate right along with you if that's what it took.
  • Wogomite likes this

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#9 Wogomite

Wogomite

Captain

• NASF Committee
  • 881 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 08 October 2018 - 06:59 PM

What do we need to do to find out if this could happen?

#10 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,531 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:14 PM

One thing to do would be to clarify goals. What are we after? It would be nice if a programmer didn't get the feeling he was entering an unrestrained buzz saw if we could get him to meet with a group of elected reps.

i77rs4m.jpg

#11 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:22 PM

BEFORE implementing a proposal to pay for someone to program a separate platform for QA rankings...put together a proposal to collect funds to pay for a programmer to fix DOUBLE CHASE and DRAW REFUSAL.

Sorry...QA is nothing compared with these issues.

• Don_Homer, Fairway and TemplateRex like this

#12 Wogomite

Wogomite

Captain

• NASF Committee
  • 881 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:38 PM

Gary, maybe we could find out how much it would cost to implement and QA ranking and fix the things KMC suggested. Maybe the owners would even pay for half of it. I think getting ANYTHING paid for and added is progress in the right direction. Momentum forward is by no means complacency. 

• Don_Homer and Fairway like this

#13 Wogomite

Wogomite

Captain

• NASF Committee
  • 881 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:16 PM

This is just a thought but does anyone else think that all "renamed" accounts should also be banned or deleted game side? What's the point in them playing with a "renamed*/**/**" account. It only messes with their opponents being that it's next to impossible to keep track of the small difference. If they want an account to play with, they can choose an appropriate name and NOT being rewarded with a confusing "renamed account", that only hurts their opponents.
  • rgillis783 likes this

#14 rgillis783

rgillis783

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:32 PM

I agree Wogomite I was in match yesterday and got set up against one of these number accts. As I do often I asked who they were, it was the player renamed from Jeff Damler . In this case they let me know -- other players are indifferent and will not acknowledge. I just had with same issue with a player( What ????). I most definitely don't care for some usernames and wish the programmers would do some more work and not let it get as far as game side. MT and players should be able to focus on other matters. 

• Wogomite likes this

#15 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Captain

• Members
  • 943 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:52 AM

On the other hand, by keeping the innocuous moniker "Renamed" on game-side, it may actually keep that player from creating a whole new account with a name equally if not more offensive than before. I am annoyed when I get matched with an account that has been "Renamed," but right there tells me something about my opponent and whether I want to stay and play, or sacrifice ELO points...I get to choose. It is better that a player with a renamed account keep using that one than "Trickz" it and create a legion of offensively named accounts.

• rgillis783 likes this

#16 Wogomite

Wogomite

Captain

• NASF Committee
  • 881 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:33 PM

If an opponent wants an offensive named account, he sure will keep creating them, instead of renaming it, we can delete it. If he wants to make a new one, we can delete that one too. Most people will stop trying, realizing it a lost cause. I don't want to have to choose to play an account that looks identical to many others or lose elo. I don't think I should have to choose between the two.
  • GaryLShelton likes this

#17 Fks

Fks

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,233 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 13 October 2018 - 07:48 AM

I agree Wogomite I was in match yesterday and got set up against one of these number accts. As I do often I asked who they were, it was the player renamed from Jeff Damler . In this case they let me know -- other players are indifferent and will not acknowledge. I just had with same issue with a player( What ????). I most definitely don't care for some usernames and wish the programmers would do some more work and not let it get as far as game side. MT and players should be able to focus on other matters.

I just played him on my alternate account where he managed to get in a drawn position vs me Marshal vs marshal he has no miners and he has an open flag. I use my major on a logical spot which was a bomb and instead of taking draw which he mentioned he was gonna refuse I gamble with marsh and find flag ;)
  • rgillis783 and KissMyCookie like this

Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#18 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 13 October 2018 - 09:40 AM

just for your info, the origin of the name change procedure was precisely started for cases where a player has an offensive name but has not committed any abusive behaviour otherwise. At that time we found that banning for 1 week or 1 month would not be useful for anything while permanent ban was to harsh and would require 4 votes. So immediate rename has been retained as the best option as it requires 3 votes only, is immediate and effectively if somebody has an acceptable behaviour on the game side he shall not be declined the right to play stratego just because his name is offensive. In order to distinguish between the various cases we decided for "renamed dd/mm/yy" but i agree this is a bit serializing the names and can become confusing if there are to much such names. I'm sure MT would appreciate any idea how else those offensive names should be renamed ... maybe assign them with insect names .... next one would be butterfly, then bee, then mosquito etc...?

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#19 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Captain

• Members
  • 943 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 13 October 2018 - 10:10 AM

In order to distinguish between the various cases we decided for "renamed dd/mm/yy" but i agree this is a bit serializing the names and can become confusing if there are to much such names. I'm sure MT would appreciate any idea how else those offensive names should be renamed ... maybe assign them with insect names .... next one would be butterfly, then bee, then mosquito etc...?

I already suggested that the MT approach this using the classic methodology:

Let the punishment fit the crime.

Thus, if a name is highly offensive, and is targeting something akin to the female body, rename them as:

I Respect Women, or MyMomLovesMe, or Thankful4Women

If the name is any kind of variant of a historical mass murderer, rename them as cartoon characters:

Daffy Duck, or Sponge Bob, or F.Flinstone

A little bit of creativity can go a long way to keeping things less confusing, a bit more colorful, and it might even reach the eyes of the offending party and help to edify them, as doubtful as that may be, anything is possible.

#20 Wogomite

Wogomite

Captain

• NASF Committee
  • 881 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 13 October 2018 - 01:59 PM

I would vote either a deletion or KMCs suggestion. Both extinguish the problem equally.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users