#1 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,196 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 29 July 2018 - 03:21 PM

I believe Wogomite mentioned this awhile ago but I wanted to open up a new topic about it. Heroic Battle is an app that is free and can be downloaded on computer and phone (I have it on both) and the phone/PC experiences are pretty much exactly the same. It has both singleplayer and multiplayer game options and even claims to be able to be able to service multiplayer without a connection to wifi, although I've never tried this. I've also clicked on the multiplayer but never gotten a match after searching for quite some time.

As for the singleplayer (which is all I use the app for) Heroic Battle is in partnership with Probe and that is their singleplayer computer. For any of you who don't about Probe, Probe is a very solid singleplayer bot, far, far better than the computer here. Probe has three difficulty settings in Heroic Battle: sergeant (1 sec move), Major (3 sec move), and General (5+ sec move). I downloaded Heroic Battle over a year ago actually but never thought about it until I saw Wogomite mention it in another thread. I played probe once on all three settings and won all three games. I would say that the "sergeant" mode is about 300-350 ELO, as it doesn't understand the two square rule very well and may allow you to capture say a colonel or major with your gen when Probe's marshal is revealed.

For example, in this: https://imgur.com/a/Qb42DH7 situation, once probe's marshal is discovered and you approach with your gen on Probe's known maj, col, etc. It won't make an effort to move the scout out of the way even if it allows the colonel to retreat all the way back to the marshal. Similarly, it may also not run away with its gen until it's too late once you've captured Probe's spy and corner Probe's gen with your marshal. 

As for Major, it's not bad but not great either. I'd say 375 or 400 tops. Still makes some of the same mistakes but seems to use the 2-squares better. 

And for General, I was quite impressed with this game mode. Randomly from behind the lake during the midgame I walked into his setup with my unknown col and he hit it with his unknown general even though he also could have attacked it with a capt or major near the general. On General mode, Probe has decent intuition regarding your pieces but still doesn't have quite 100% grasp of the two-square. I'd say that it may be fairly easy to snag say a capt with your col in the mid or endgame as a result of the two-square rule. I'd put probe's "General" feature at around 425-450 but no more than 500 ELO- sometimes it depends per game.

There's also a leaderboard with top 1,000 players' rating playing the computer. Acheivements, win streak, and number of wins account into your leaderboard ranking. 

I'd recommend everyone give Heroic Battle with Probe a try and see how you like it. Keep in mind that Probe says that it was "improved" when it was implemented into Heroic Battle and is better than when it was a standalone app, so I'd also like to see what ELO rating you think probe is at for all three features. Good luck! ;)

Fairway

WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series! :D

#2 Wogomite

Wogomite

Captain

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 30 July 2018 - 12:52 AM

I also have never been matched in multiplayer. I have always assumed it was because noone was searching for a match ar the same time as I. Maybe someone could arrange a time with me to try to get matched.

#3 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 30 July 2018 - 12:57 AM

I also have never been matched in multiplayer. I have always assumed it was because noone was searching for a match ar the same time as I. Maybe someone could arrange a time with me to try to get matched.

I will download now and we can try to match up if you want.

Edit.

After downloading it appears it is not possible to match vs someone unless they are in a near vicinity to you, even so much as to be on the same wifi as you.

https://gyazo.com/bc...545eef07cc5ea8f

• Fairway likes this
Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#4 Wogomite

Wogomite

Captain

• Honorary members
  • 882 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 30 July 2018 - 01:07 AM

Thats a bummer. Hopefully this changes one day. I really like the options heroic battle offers. Multiplayer is apparently the only thing missing.
  • Fairway likes this

#5 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:56 PM

I played the desktop version.  It's fun to play.  I've won 19 games in a row so far.  I won 2 games rather easily on the sergeant level.  I skipped the Major level.  I won another 12 games in a row fairly easily on the General level.  The last few games I played, the AI seemed to play a lot better. Maybe it's learning how I play.  I used their Blitzkrieg! setup with a few minor changes in every game so far.  I almost lost 1 game by letting a miner sneak through to my flag, but I was able to bluff it with a scout to force it away to save the victory.  It can beat you if you're not careful.  The middle and end game AI play can be very weak at times, especially when it's behind.  It also makes some strange moves or decisions that are baffling.  I think it plays at a much higher level when it finds your high pieces early in the game, so don't let that happen. 

• rgillis783 likes this

My Youtube Stratego Channel: https://www.youtube....cGDvlZZkGbgq0LA

#6 Yellowhat

Yellowhat

Lieutenant

• Moderators
  • 658 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 14 August 2018 - 10:52 AM

I also played it today. Probe is way better than 'Computer-medium' but still very easy to beat. 

• berre and Fairway like this
Yellowhat is the literal translation of my surname.

#7 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 17 August 2018 - 02:37 AM

Here's my very lame effort at trying to win 24 games in a row against Heroic Battle.  No, I was not drinking while I played.  My memory was as bad as it gets in this match.  I guess I shouldn't do live commentary while playing games.  Watch the video at 1.5 speed.  I love my wallpaper photo at the end.  :)  

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

• rgillis783 likes this

#8 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Captain

• Members
  • 766 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 17 August 2018 - 10:12 AM

Here's my very lame effort at trying to win 24 games in a row against Heroic Battle.  No, I was not drinking while I played.  My memory was as bad as it gets in this match.  I guess I shouldn't do live commentary while playing games.  Watch the video at 1.5 speed.  I love my wallpaper photo at the end.  :)  

When your marshall was revealed at 18:57, you left it next to an unknown piece and moved in with your gen on his colo? Or was that piece next to your marsh already known? (later it turned out to be a miner IIRC).

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#9 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 17 August 2018 - 01:15 PM

When your marshall was revealed at 18:57, you left it next to an unknown piece and moved in with your gen on his colo? Or was that piece next to your marsh already known? (later it turned out to be a miner IIRC).

That was a known miner revealed at 16:04.  I remembered because I was mad at wasting a scout on that piece.  It seemed like the whole game I kept on scouting low pieces and losing track of that Colonel.

This Probe version in Heroic Battle seems easier to beat than the older stand alone Probe version.  That game would lotto very effectively. The HB version of Probe doesn't lotto much at all.  It doesn't even lotto at the end of the game when you are about to capture the flag.  Another major flaw of HB is that it hangs pieces a lot(letting a revealed piece capture a piece when that piece could safely move away). Another flaw is it's tendency to use lieutenants and captains early in the game to probe for information.  You can exploit that bias to almost always take an early lead in every game.

• TemplateRex likes this

#10 UnladenSwallow

UnladenSwallow

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted 19 August 2018 - 06:55 PM

I played it. It's weak. About 250 ELO.  I don't remember how good or bad Probe on PC was. 

• Dobby125 likes this

#11 UnladenSwallow

UnladenSwallow

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted 19 August 2018 - 07:00 PM

clicked the link and jeez it took u 24 mins to beat the computer wow ....

• Dobby125 likes this

#12 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 19 August 2018 - 09:41 PM

clicked the link and jeez it took u 24 mins to beat the computer wow ....

Josh, I did say to watch it at 1.5 X speed.  You know I suck at this game.  I can't play well and talk at the same time.

I downloaded it on my tablet yesterday.  I won 5 in a row playing with the flag on A4.  HB doesn't use scouts early in the game.  :D  I guess it's harder to play on the desktop because the CPU is significantly faster.  It played very, very weak on my tablet.  I actually won a game in under 12 minutes with my Mar/Gen/Spy still on the board.   You have to be aggressive with an open flag up front. 

I still think the older stand alone version was a little bit stronger because when it lottoed, it seemed to get very lucky.  Also, remember there's an option that lets Probe learn how you play in that version, but it's turned off by default.  When you turn that option on, it will play you better after several games.

It think it's still a fun game for beginning players struggling in the 300 or lower levels.  Higher ranked players can get a tougher challenge by intentionally revealing their high pieces early in the game or can try different tactics like lottoing with their majors or colonels and then playing from behind.  Or you could just run a marshal or general into a bomb and learn to play from behind.  You might want to play it when you are trying out a new setup as well.  

I think the tablet version ELO ranking is in the mid 200's.  The desktop version is probably rated higher because of the faster CPU.  I'll try to get DrunkenPlayer to download and play it several times in a row and upload the results in a video. It would be interesting to see how he plays the game while drunk.  

• Fairway likes this

#13 UnladenSwallow

UnladenSwallow

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted 19 August 2018 - 10:09 PM

You know I suck at this game.  I can't play well 

Duly noted. :D

• Fks likes this

#14 rgillis783

rgillis783

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 19 August 2018 - 10:29 PM

As you stated US "duly noted"  dobby and I and a few others are looking forward to seeing how a few players fair this week in Europe. Good Luck to all participants and please keep us posted . ;)

• UnladenSwallow likes this

#15 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:03 AM

I played it some more at the General level on a fast Desktop PC.  I think Fairway is right that it can play around the low to mid 400 level.  At the start of the game it can play really well, especially if you reveal your high pieces early.  I've been General blitzing in the center attacking any piece that moves hoping to find the marshal.  Those games can be fun.  The problem is it doesn't maintain that high level of ELO play.  Unfortunately, it really makes strange, bizarre moves in the middle and end game.

#16 Napoleon 2ème

Napoleon 2ème

Lieutenant

• Moderators
  • 575 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 14 September 2018 - 02:28 PM

https://youtu.be/3iuL5fg5q8Q

Here is a nice game between me and my father… enjoy ;D

I never lose, I win or I learn…