Pyramid League 2018
1) Tournament Type & Schedule, Eligibility & Registration
• The tournament will last 17 weeks, beginning on Monday July 16th
• Each player will play every other player within their Division once
• Players score 2 points for a win, 1 point for a draw, and 0 points for a loss
• The winner of each Division is the player with the most points, and so on…
• All players are eligible for this tournament unless specifically banned by TC
• Places in Apex and Core Divisions have been based on qualifying criteria from previous tournaments
• Players are required to fulfil obligations regarding disclosure of aliases and basic information by making a post in the Alias Register: (http://forum.strateg...eclarations-v2/)
Any player who plays a match without having made a post in the Alias Register will be removed from the tournament.
2) Automatic Promotion, Relegation & Qualification
The Pyramid runs annually, and players may move up or down a Division depending on their finishing position.
Finishing positions in other specified tournaments will provide additional automatic qualification routes for players to win a place in a higher Division. These tournaments are: WCO 2018, WinterTourn 2018/19 and Champions League 2019
Automatic Promotion through Pyramid
• The winner of each Core Division wins promotion to Apex
• The winner of each Base Division wins promotion to Core
Automatic Relegation through Pyramid
• The bottom two of Apex will be relegated to Core
• The bottom two of each Core Division will be relegated to Base
Automatic Promotion through Other Tournaments
• Top 2 of WCO 2018, WinterTourn 2018/19 and Champions League 2019 win promotion to Apex
• 3rd to 8th (of WinterTourn 2018/19 and Champions League 2019) and 3rd to 10th (of WCO 2018) win promotion to Core
Some finishing positions in the Pyramid are potential relegation spots:
• 8th to 10th in Apex
• 10th in Core
Some finishing positions in the Pyramid are potential promotion spots:
• Runners up in Core
• Runners up in Base
Some positions in the other three specified tournaments are potential promotion spots:
• 3rd to 4th place in WCO 2018, WinterTourn 2018/19 and Champions League 2019 may promote to Apex
• 10th to 18th place in WCO 2018, 9th to 16th in WinterTourn 2018/19 and Champions League 2019 may promote to Core
Once the automatic promotions and relegations have been carried out, remaining places are filled. Full details are presented below according to the Pyramid League 2019 Qualification Table.
Pyramid League 2019 Qualification Table
The below table shows the order of qualification for Pyramid League 2019
All players above the dotted line automatically qualify.
Players below the dotted line are invited in the order of the table until the target number of participants have been reached. (The target number of participants is currently 12 per division, but may change at TC’s discretion).
This may result in a Pyramid Play-Off. (For example, players at 19-21 have equal priority. If there are only 1 or 2 places remaining after player 18 has been invited, then players 19-21 will play-off for the remaining spaces).
Players below the dotted line who end up not qualifying for that division will automatically qualify for the division below.
Qualifiers for Apex Pyramid League 2019
1-7. 1st to 7th in Pyramid League 2018 (Apex)
8-10. ‘Carry-Over’ Qualifiers from Pyramid League 2018 (Apex). (Those players that automatically qualified for Apex but did not play – Nortrom, Losermaker, mrbrainiac)
11-15. Pyramid League 2018 (Core division winners), Winner of WCO 2018, WinterTourn 2018/19 and Champions League 2019
16-18. Runner up of WCO 2018, WinterTourn 2018/19 and Champions League 2019
19-21. 8th in Pyramid League 2018 (Apex), Runners up of Pyramid League 2018 (Core)
22-25. 9th in Pyramid League 2018 (Apex), 3rd place in WCO 2018, WinterTourn 2018/19 and Champions League 2019
26-29. 10th in Pyramid League 2018 (Apex), 4th place in WCO 2018, WinterTourn 2018/19 and Champions League 2019
Qualifiers for Core Pyramid League 2019
1-16. 2nd to 9th in Pyramid League 2018 (Core)
17-24. ‘Carry-Over’ Qualifiers from Pyramid League 2018 (Core). (Those players that automatically qualified for Core but did not play – gpet0, KARAISKAKIS, Yellowhat, zoografos, KingTubby, John.K1980, Spion… and those players that qualified for Apex play-off that did not play – gkaros)
25-26. Pyramid League 2019 (Base division winners)
27. 5th in WCO 2018
28. 6th in WCO 2018
29-32. 5th to 8th in Champions League 2019
33-34. 5th to 6th in WinterTourn 2018/19
35. 7th in WCO 2018
36. 8th in WCO 2018
37-38. 7th to 8th in WinterTourn 2018/19
39. 9th in WCO 2018
40. 10th in WCO 2018
41-44. 10th in Pyramid League 2018 (Core), Runners up of Pyramid League 2018 (Base)
45. 11th in WCO 2018
46. 12th in WCO 2018
47. 13th in WCO 2018
48-55. 9th to 16th in Champions League 2019
56-59. 9th to 12th in WinterTourn 2018/19
60. 14th in WCO 2018
61. 15th in WCO 2018
62. 16th in WCO 2018
63. 17th in WCO 2018
64. 18th in WCO 2018
3) Arranging a Tournament Game & Fixtures
• Players are responsible for arranging their own fixtures
• Due to the flexibility awarded to players, TC will not usually be initiating any game arrangements. If players are having difficulty arranging matches (no-shows/cancellations/difficult opponent to track down etc) then TC will assist at your request
• We recommend that you make arrangements by PM and cc a member of TC (steelers, Master Mind, roeczak or TheOptician) into the conversation. This will avoid any potential disputes that may occur whilst trying to arrange a game.
TC will intervene if they become concerned that a player will not be able to complete their games in time. Where this is the case TC will issue a fixture list of the games that are required to be played each week.
Additionally, towards the later stages of the tournament TC may require that certain games are played in a specific order. In this case TC will also issue a fixture list of the games that are required to be played each week.
• Over the 17 weeks we expect that players will be out of contact for sustained periods. All we ask is that you inform TC should you be away for more than a week at a time ( so that players do not waste time trying to make arrangements with someone who is on holiday).
• Players who have not posted details of absence and become inactive for a sustained period may be removed from the tournament.
Absences should be posted here (http://forum.strateg...-2018-absences/)
5) Reporting Results and Screenshots
• After the match has finished, the result must be reported to TC, and a screenshot of the victory screen provided
• Screenshots are especially important in the event of a dispute, so please don’t forget. If there is no proof and your opponent disputes the result then it cannot be counted
6) Disputes and Disconnects
If a player is booted from set-up, the game must re-start
If your opponent claims they were legitimately booted or disconnected once the match is underway, then TC will leave the decision to replay the game to the players involved
If only the disconnected/booted player is willing to replay, then TC will independently assess whether the game SHOULD be replayed. In this scenario TC will expect:
• the disconnected player to provide video evidence of their disconnection
• the winning player to provide a victory screenshot of the entire screen
TC will then use their judgement to determine whether the game is to be replayed. Note that TC will only compel a replay where they decide that the disconnected player had a clear advantage
TC understand that real life events may force a player to withdraw. A player may withdraw from the tournament, at any time, by informing TC. This will not usually impact the player’s ability to participate in future tournaments. However, if the reason for withdrawal is for example ‘there was no point in playing my last few matches because I wasn’t doing well’ then participation in future tournaments will be threatened
• TC will not tolerate discrimination, bad language, abusive behaviour or poor sportsmanship (this includes prolonged chasing or intentional time-wasting) and may disqualify players deemed guilty of these offences. TC may also decide to deduct points from a player as an alternative to disqualification
• Double-chasing is forbidden in this tournament.
• TC may also decide that the tournament is better off without players who persistently cause their opponent difficulties (no-shows/cancellations etc)
• The Draw-refusal policy is in place, and TC will judge cases. Players found guilty of Draw-refusal will at the very least lose the match
• Public accusations, insinuations or suggestions of deceitful or abusive behaviour will not be tolerated. If you believe an opponent has acted in contravention of the rules this must be communicated to TC PRIVATELY, not publicly via the forum.
If any player wishes to bring any of the above cases to the attention of TC then please realise that we can only act if evidence is provided (in the form of screenshots or video)
Note about videos: Players do not need permission of their opponent to film a sequence of moves to illustrate a case of double-chasing or other abusive behaviour
9) Results concerning disqualified (or withdrawn) players
Everyone’s least favourite section
• Any player who withdraws or is disqualified - having played less than half their matches – has all their results nullified
• If the disqualified or withdrawn player has played at least half of their matches, then all their opponents who never had the opportunity to play are awarded 0-2 points (a range), which represents the scoring outcomes that could have occurred had the game been played
10) Resolving Ties
Ties (when two or more players finish level on points) will be resolved in the following order:
• Firstly - If players are level on points then the head-to-head results between the tied parties will be used
• Secondly - The ‘best’ result will be used (eg 2 players finish T8th, Player A’s best result was beating a player who finished 2nd, Player B’s best result was beating a player who finished 4th – Player A wins)
• Thirdly – The ‘worst’ result will be used (eg 2 players finish T1st, Player A’s worst result was losing to a player who finished 9th, Player B’s worst result was losing a player who finished 6th – Player B wins)
• Finally a play-off will occur but only if the result has potential to impact promotion/relegation or to decide the Division Champion
The following situations involving a disqualified or withdrawn player are also considered ties:
• Where one player's score is not lower than the bottom range of another player's score (eg a score of 32 ties with a score of 32-34)
• Where one player's score is not higher than the top range of another players' score (eg a score of 26 ties with a score of 24-26)
• Where one or more players both have a range which overlaps (eg a score of 21-23 ties with a score of 23-25)
These ties are resolved in exactly the same way as standard ties
11) Player Responsibilities & TC Rights
• Players are expected to monitor their PM inbox (unless absent) in case TC need to communicate privately with them for any reason.
• TC reserves the right to ask any player questions to maintain the integrity of tournaments. This may extend to asking questions about aliases which go beyond the requirements of the Alias Register (such as 'can you explain how you are 800+ ELO, have played under 200 games and this is your first account?'). A player who is deemed uncooperative will be subject to disqualification.
In the event that anything unforeseen occurs not covered by the rules (it usually does), then TC will rule on these issues using their best judgement. All decisions made by TC are final.
12) And Finally…..
If you have a Question or a remark about the general functioning of the rules, this can be communicated in the Questions Thread (http://forum.strateg...018-questions/)
TC welcomes constructive feedback which can be provided in the Suggestions Box (http://forum.strateg...uggestions-box/)
Tournament Committee members can participate in this tournament, but those members may not act as judges in cases where they are directly involved. The Tournament Committee consists of:
TC wish you all the best!