- Sniper -

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:02 PM

It disturbs and annoys me people accuse me of being someone else - a cheat or having more accounts. All untrue -> bad at tolerating insults -> want to clear things up.

My real first name is John and in my late thirties. Escaped my birth country long ago for personal reasons -> value my privacy yet not trying to be hideous. Happily living in Netherlands now.

Have been playing Stratego for decades. Played daily in university against co-students. Discovered online play couple of months ago. Joined game first. Forum few weeks later.

Rose along the ranks fast. People got suspicious as this seems unusual. Some even act jealous. I get that. Learned this site has troubled history. I get that too -> learned to be more lenient although that is hard.

Trying to be part of a community. Not the talkative type. Chose to contribute videos whenever potentially educational. Quite time consuming.

Still most I get in return are accusations.
 - Accused of being someone else.
 - Accused of being a cheat. That I should be banned.
 - Accused of having other than my declared accounts.

Ask yourself. Have you ever seen anyone put forwards proof or facts regarding these accusations? All preposterous disrespectful nonsense.

Regarding my game with Overlord. He gave me permission earlier. I have a recording of that but it includes a lot of surrounding private chat. He called me friend and a very good player all the time. We tried to schedule this game for over a week. Then when I finally beat him he totally turned on me and got mad. Accusing me. Disgracing me. In public. Without giving me the chance to privately discuss this first.

In the video Overlord at some point said 're?'. Did not know that term. Thought he meant "really?". Because I walked in with Colonel. So I responded with "I have a call on your Marshall" to justify my action. Additionally I was up a Colonel and General. In retrospect I learned Overlord meant 'rematch?'. Is this misunderstanding what caused him to get mad and publicly disgrace me? Let bygones be bygones. All good on my end. Would appreciate an apology though.

Am not the type to justify myself with such statements but felt inclined to. Hope to have cleared things up. Will continue to contribute videos. Requires effort. However. If they are not appreciated why would I continue to do so? Not doing it for me. It is for the site. For everyone.

Hope to get into more positive light - being respected instead of being accused. If this final attempt fails will just stick to playing games and tournament games.

Wish you all well. Back in a day or two.

• Fairway, Master Mind and TemplateRex like this

#2 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:08 PM

Please continue with your videos. I reallyl liked your annotation of your setup in your last posted game. Very insightful. And please participate in the live WC and kick some ♥♥♥ there :)

• Fairway, KissMyCookie and - Sniper - like this

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#3 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:42 PM

It seems to me that if a video is posted, it has the greatest potential of revealing a cheat at work. Up to this point, the videos I have seen by - Sniper - do not give away any kind of false play–they play and view as hardball matches. I have not seen the match between - Sniper - and Overlord, so I cannot make any relevant comment. For me, it seems an obvious point that if I was cheating, this would be easily observed by top level players. So, it would be a kind of suicidal move in my opinion to post any videos of my games.

At any rate, until there is some absolute conclusive and solid evidence that exposes cheating of any kind, this line of conjecture can remain a rather dangerous area to tread–I am all for exposing cheaters, but it must be proven with evidence and not supposition.

In the meantime, I am really sorry to know that there is a rift between - Sniper - and Overlord. This community already knows that John V. is an amazingly gifted player of the highest quality–and, it would appear that over time, - Sniper - will continue his campaign to reach beyond his current level and achieve even higher conquests. I would love to see him have a match with Hielco and be able to post it. I would especially love to see him play Nortrom, but I know that the latter does prefer to exercise his right to privacy.

Good luck, and please keep sharing your videos with your commentary! :)

• Fairway and - Sniper - like this

#4 Fairway

Fairway

General

• Junior Tournament Management
  • 2,824 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:55 PM

Please stay around Sniper and ignore those who make spurious claims as to your identity. Please continue to publish videos as well as long as you receive permission from your opponent :)

• - Sniper - likes this

WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series!  :D

#5 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:43 PM

Please stay around Sniper and ignore those who make spurious claims as to your identity. Please continue to publish videos as well as long as you receive permission from your opponent :)

In my opinion any recorded match should be freely publishable. If this game ever wants to reach the popularity and quality play by a large group of players, like the other games of skill and bluff (chess, go, draughts, poker) have, there needs to be a change in attitude of the top players. There is too much emphasis on secrecy and too little on analysis. 

IMO, top games should all be recorded and published, and analyzed and discussed afterward. Let the top players reinvent themselves by competing on inventing new setups and new ways of playing, rather than on secrecy alone. This will make it easier to attract many more players from other mind games.

Poker until about 2003 was a backroom game with a handful of old legends keeping all their knowledge secret. The Moneymaker revolution and pocket cams and the Harrington books etc. made this game much much more interesting and the overall quality of play exploded. Stratego should follow this. 

Edited by TemplateRex, 11 July 2018 - 09:46 PM.

• Losermaker, Napoleon 1er, Dobby125 and 3 others like this

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#6 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:08 PM

I prefer "drip feeding" knowledge; too much at once can deter some people. I don't have time to watch 10 youtube videos per day. Top players should only upload the most interesting, and arguably the most educational to newer players. 

• Dobby125 and - Sniper - like this

I used to play against a few drunken idiots in College and University. I just recently discovered this game online, playing my first matches against real-world opponents. After 100 games, I'm now one of the top 10 players in the world. 

#7 Jesus_saves

Jesus_saves

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:43 AM

Hallo Sniper, please keep on playing and stay with us. You are a great player, and a very honourable guy. You even offered me a draw after a lost game, cause of some technical issues through time run out. As you noticed, the community has an issue with some players which behave strange, that is why there was some suspicion around you showing up with such a skill level out of nowhere.... Some people on this site have issues to loose and some good players again and again play up new accounts and they know some of your setting. So you play against an unknown person, but he is a skilled player knowing your setting. This is the experience of quite some players. This is the reason some players had doubts about you. Just ignore bad messages and focus on the good ones.

We welcome you to the platinum marshall group, stay with us.

John (playing under Jesus_saves and John_the_righteo)
  • KnightofPepsi and - Sniper - like this

#8 KnightofPepsi

KnightofPepsi

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver General

Posted 17 July 2018 - 02:13 AM

They are just jealous, and unfortunately there are some sore losers on this site. In the end... it is a game, and it is all about having fun. I've actually watched a couple of your videos including the one vs. Overlord, and I too thought the "re" implied "really?" as it was a big gamble that didn't pay off! Amazing that some people can't get along even on an online gaming site.

Keep proving the haters wrong!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users