tobermoryx

Major

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 15 February 2019 - 10:32 PM

My Major goes all the way! (though if I have a chance I pause him and fire a scout to see what I might hit next)

#22 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 24 March 2019 - 03:03 AM

I posted this game earlier this week.  Marshal vs General & Spy.  I think it was the most exciting game I played in awhile.  I only had 1 memory mistake.  Still had some bad blunders and missed a tell, but that made the game more fun.

https://youtu.be/kTVaEujw8OA

• TemplateRex, Napoleon 2ème and Gingerbreadman_1 like this

My Youtube Stratego Channel: https://www.youtube....cGDvlZZkGbgq0LA

#23 Silverhammer

Silverhammer

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 31 March 2019 - 03:36 PM

I have watched a sizeable amount of Dobby's videos, and I have got to say the commentary he gives on his Mystery Player series is excellent. 

I heavily endorse his channel for learning how to play in bronze and silver. 

Keep up the good work!

• TemplateRex and Napoleon 2ème like this

#24 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 04 April 2019 - 04:13 AM

I have watched a sizeable amount of Dobby's videos, and I have got to say the commentary he gives on his Mystery Player series is excellent. 

I heavily endorse his channel for learning how to play in bronze and silver. 

Keep up the good work!

Thanks. The channel should help most players improve their game.  Unfortunately, I'm done with making videos.  My doberman is sick with diabetes, so I now have to walk her at least several miles a day.  So I just don't have the spare time to play and the videos take a lot of time to make.     

My final record with the flag up front was 72-31.  My final ELO was 509.  Not bad playing for someone with a faulty memory and short attention span.  Take care everybody!

• tobermoryx and Silverhammer like this

#25 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,068 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 07 April 2019 - 12:18 AM

My doberman is sick with diabetes, so I now have to walk her at least several miles a day.  So I just don't have the spare time to play and the videos take a lot of time to make.     

Might as well use that as an opportunity to train for a 5K or 10K race while you're at it... those are lots of fun :) …. walking/running is good for anybody :)

WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series! :D

#26 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 07 April 2019 - 03:26 PM

Might as well use that as an opportunity to train for a 5K or 10K race while you're at it... those are lots of fun :) …. walking/running is good for anybody :)

There’s no need to run with my dog.  The route we walk is loaded with steep hills, so I’ll be getting lots of exercise too.  I really need to get in golf shape for this summer.  I’d like to play more golf, since I only played 1 round last year and none the previous year.  I like to finally hit my new Costco golf balls.

It looks like I’m not the only person with limited free time. https://www.studyfin...free-time-week/   This reminds me of the BOC lyrics:

Time is the essence
Time is the season
Time ain't no reason

Got no time to slow

Time everlasting
Time to play b-sides
Time ain't on my side
Time I'll never know

I wish I had some time to play b-sides now.

After stopping playing with the flag up front, I did play quite a few games trying out the 3 Major attack.  I start with 3 Majors and 3 Scouts on the frontline.  I allow myself to use the 3 scouts first.  Then I attack or lotto with the 3 majors to get information/pieces.  I stop attacking with the Majors if I find the Marshal and then play a normal game.  Otherwise, I have to keep on attacking with the Majors until I lose them all. 

What I’ve learned so far is that this is fun.  Lottoing is fun.  Trying to outwit and beat your opponent down lots of high pieces, but hopefully up lots of minor pieces with key information is challenging and fun.  Your opponents are initially shocked because you lotto with majors without fear.  It is an   aggressive attack. Sometimes they are in shock because you wipe out their army (bad setups).  I attacked 1 person’s weak side and it didn’t have any bombs!  I kept on saying “this has to be a bomb, this has to be a bomb, this has to be a bomb”.  I think I got 7 or 8 pieces before we swapped Majors.   Another interesting thing I noticed is it usually stops Marshal lottoers and blitzers because they have a 1, 2 or 3 Major lead at the start and they don’t want to lose the lead.

Anyway, it’s fun trying to plan and bluff and bluff and bluff and bleed smaller pieces from your opponent to slowly try to get back into the lead.  I think it’s harder to win this way than with a flag up front.  It all depends on how much value your Scouts and Majors find.  I don’t think I can get a 70% win ratio this way starting at 100 ELO and going to the Gold level.  At least not yet.  I’m still figuring out the best way to play by reviewing my games played.  Unfortunately, my setups were causing lots of my losses.  I didn’t have the right pieces at the right spots at the right time.  And I don’t utilize my Colonels early enough.  You need to take pieces with Colonels and bring them back to your side and shuffle them so they hopefully get lost.  Then you repeat the process.  That’s what makes the game hard for me.  Some games are very memory intensive and long. I know they frustrate my opponents.  You know you’re doing well when you opponent starts scouting you with their 3rd and 4th minor.  They are running out of scouting pieces.  As long as they don’t find your Marshal and General, you have a shot of winning most games even if you’re down 3 Majors with very little info.  Anyway, I might make this into a series for youtube if I have time next year.

I’m not creating any new videos this year, but I do have 8 or so videos already finished.  I’ll probably upload 1 video every 3 to 4 weeks to keep the youtube channel semi active.  I still have to post the full puzzle ending game.  I played a game against Drunken Player(I didn’t put the flag up front).  I do insult him in chat.  I hope it doesn’t get me banned for any length of time.  It was a very, very cruel thing to say to Drunken Player.  The next upload will show me making oodles of blunders.  Sometimes I just don’t focus and I move before I think.  And I keep on doing it all game long.  And sometimes it gets you into big trouble. I get way behind in that game and I decided I had to sacrifice a Major without any compensation(no new information or piece) so I would have a chance to win.  Why would anybody do that?  My opponent probably thought I was nuts.  Anyway, it’s time to go walk my dog. Cya.

• TheOptician, Fairway and TemplateRex like this

#27 Aaron5001

Aaron5001

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold General

Posted 4 weeks ago

Been lurking around this forum for a while, but for some reason never posted. Just wanted to say I've really been enjoying your videos, Dobby. I'd been stuck in high silver/low gold for hundreds of games until just recently, and I credit lessons I've learned from your videos (and you too Fairway) for helping me ascend the ranks.

Sorry to hear life has gotten in the way, and I wish you the best going forward.

Cheers to all the great Stratego players on this site who do good things for the community!

Aaron

• Fairway, Napoleon 2ème and R u Mocking Me ? like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users