Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted A week ago

Hello all,

I think its long overdue to have a Stratego strategy wiki that is continuously added to and updated.

I decided to create one and found that on wikia.com there already was one, added by a user called "Captain Jack Sparrow 3". However, the info there was very limited. I've started to update this, drawing on info given by this forum's users. In particular, I drew on posts from Nortrom, Losermaker, TheProf, MaxRoleofs and HiltonChess. I'm planning to get to some stuff posted by Napoleon, Enigma and others. I've referenced all those who I reposted. If any of you are not happy with your info being there, let me know.

I've organised it with the following categories:

• Places/Sites to Play Stratego
  • Tournaments
  • Videos
  • Tools
  • Issues/Challenges
  • Beginner Tactics
  • Intermediate Tactics
  • Advanced Tactics

I encourage you to enhance this Wiki. If you think there is a better place to put this kind of content (or if it already exists), then let us know and maybe we can put our efforts there.

It would be nice to draw from Strategotips.com, but it seems the site has a problem now. Also, Nortrom, if you are willing to share the text of your Strategy Guide, this can really add value.

Main Page

https://stratego.wik...i/Stratego_Wiki

Strategy Pages by Level

https://stratego.wik...eginner_Tactics

https://stratego.wik...mediate_Tactics

https://stratego.wik...dvanced_Tactics

Other Pages

https://stratego.wik...o_Play_Stratego

https://stratego.wik...iki/Tournaments

https://stratego.wik...Stratego_Videos

https://stratego.wikia.com/wiki/Tools

https://stratego.wik...sues/Challenges

Strategy Pages with Sub Pages

Edited by josephwhite, 21 hours ago.

• maxroelofs, Losermaker, Dobby125 and 6 others like this

#2 Nortrom

Nortrom

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,671 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted A week ago

I'd have to look for the actual text (new comp..). I think it's one of my external harddisks, but it's not at the top of priorities right now. If you can send me a reminder PM later, that may help.

"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

#3 KnightofPepsi

KnightofPepsi

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted A week ago

Excellent idea, thank you to you as well as to the others who contributed content!

#4 Fks

Fks

Captain

• NASF Committee
  • 825 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted A week ago

Just some thought, for advanced set up analyzing you are way more likely to see a flag at B1 or I1 at higher rated games. Maybe that specific post should fall underneath intermediate? I also have some things I have collected of written tactics/tips I will pm you when I get on my PC. Very awesome you are taking the time to do this for the Stratego world :)
Proud Committee Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#5 josephwhite

josephwhite

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted A week ago

Thanks Fks, I think some topics may need to be shifted between beginner, intermediate and advanced. I'll wait for more comments first. 

Also, I hope others will login to wikia.com and do their own editing - it doesn't have to go through me at all, and is quite easy to do. I built on someone else's start. Fandom/Wikia has a forum called Fandom University that teaches people how to edit.

Rather than pm me, post content here and then it can be added by anyone. I did put quite a bit of time towards this today, but I may not be consistent in updating in the future.

However, the key points I've learned for editing are:

• Create a new page by clicking "Add" in top right corner
  • Edit existing page by clicking "Edit"
  • Click on "Paragraph" in top left of edit page to put different headings. I mainly used Heading and Sub Heading 1.
  • Click link icon to put a web link
  • Uploading images - when you attach, wait a bit before it uploads - it doesn't show that it is processing
  • To add a category, type it in at the bottom of a page by clicking "add category" (not while editing). It will normally autotype existing categories, but if it doesn't, then please make sure to type it exactly as an existing category. Be careful of creating new categories - check that it fits within the logical structure of the wiki.
  • There doesn't seem to be a good general navigation page. I may need to create something. However, in the popular pages heading at the top left, I think the key pages will start to appear as more people visit them. Otherwise, people can see pages by going to Explore/Recent Activity.

#6 Fks

Fks

Captain

• NASF Committee
  • 825 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted A week ago

Stratego Notes.

Deception' in Stratego can take many forms, but really it can be simplified to a single idea: removing your opponent's ability to recognize common patterns in your gameplay.  So, the first thing you need to do is understand and recognize what common Stratego gameplay patterns are (particularly with respect to players at a certain skill level).  'Patterns' can take the form of the initial location of a piece, the location of one piece in relation to another, or the timing in which a piece is moved.   Here are some examples of common patterns:

-A low ranked piece guarded by a piece 2 or 3 ranks higher (ie. a captain (6) protected by a colonel (8))

-A flag surrounded by three bombs in the shape of a tripod

-A spy placed behind the lake next to a general (9)

-A marshal (10) placed next to a colonel (8) or major (7)

-You capture your opponent's spy, and on your next turn you move your marshal (10)

Understanding these and other common patterns is essential and can only be developed by playing many games.  Once you learn the common patterns, two things will happen: first, you will recognize the moves of weaker opponents more easily, and second, you will be able to add deception to your game by simply doing the opposite of the common patterns your opponent will be expecting (such as those listed above).

/ Skill level play.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Beginners (0-400)

-Several bombs in the front 2 rows (sometimes 3 or more)

-Many scouts in the front 2 rows

-At least one piece is trapped by bombs (commonly a 4 used as a flag decoy)

-Pieces are easily trapped (player doesn't understand the two square rule, etc)

-Setups are not strong (flag is easy to get to or strong pieces are left unguarded)

-Chases

-Lottos indiscriminately

2. Intermediate (400-700)

-Understands the 2 square rule, sometimes doesn't understand chasing

-Most bombs in the back 2 rows (2 bombs in the front 2 rows)

-Strong setups that are predictable (pieces are always defended)

-Occasionally bluffs

-Frequent mistakes with game play

-Frequently forgets pieces

-Lottos can be random and incorrectly timed

3. Advanced (700-1000)

-Most bombs in the back 2 rows, 1 bomb in the front 2 rows

-Strong setups that can be deceptive (pieces are sometimes not defended)

-Bluffs frequently

-Occasional mistakes with basic game movements

-Occasionally forgets pieces (revealed or moved)

-Occasionally takes unnecessary risks

-Knows when to lotto, sometimes hits bombs

4. Elite (> 1000 and/or win PCT > 90%)

-Most bombs in the back 2 rows, 1 bomb in the front 2 rows

-Strong setups that are deceptive

-Flag surrounded by bombs

-Very rarely makes mistakes with basic game movements

-Rarely forgets pieces (revealed or moved)

-Knows when and where to lotto, rarely hits bombs

-Takes risks at the right time

-Figures out pieces before they are revealed.

/ Bluff tactic -------------------------------------------------------------

You can also bluff with 2 lower pieces

- When the opponent moves towards the passive piece, you will move away and your opponent might think the active piece is a strong piece

- When the opponent kills the active piece, your opponent might think your passive piece is a strong one.

/ Regarding Bombs-------------------------

The most important factor to consider is knowledge of your opponent.  If you are familiar with your opponent, there is a general rule to know: past play predicts future play.  In other words, your opponent is likely to do the same thing he did last time.  The reason for this is that generally speaking, human brains are wired to seek consistency.  Stronger opponents understand this and will try to change to be more deceptive. 

If you have an unfamiliar opponent, then you are looking for pattern recognition and stereotyping of skill level (i.e. what do most players of a given skill level do?). 

Here are some examples of what the average player might do:

-Bombs next to and/or in front of lieutenants, sergeants, and miners

-Bombs not next to spy or scout

-Bombs not next to each other

-2 or 3 bombs surrounding flag

-More bombs on the side opposite the marshal

-More bombs on the weak side of the setup (away from both marshal and general)

-More bombs in the back row than other rows

-Creating a flag decoy by surrounding a sergeant with bombs

-Using bombs to divide the board

/ Probabilty of each piece where it will spawn----------------------------------------

/ Regarding Defending kown pieces.---------------------------

I recently had a game where someone was very liberal with his captains, leaving me with 3 exposed pieces (major/colonel). I understand some of the strong aggressive players are the same with majors too, and I was curious what the best strategy(ies) are for protecting the pieces that you use to capture theirs. (Perhaps if you're one of the people who is very liberal with mid pieces, you could discuss the defensive strategies you find the most difficult to penetrate?)

I.e. suppose someone uses 2 captains and a major to capture some of your lower pieces, and you take them with 2 majors and a colonel. Ideally I suppose your strategy should be to trade down - and in a more aggressive setup where you're intending to expose your power early and are ready to trade down efficiently, this works well. But what if you have a more defensive setup that's vulnerable to counterattacks (i.e. your general is not readily available to counter his if you expose your marshal). 

3 possible solutions:

1. Scout your opponent's attacking pieces with one rank lower than the piece he sacrificed (i.e. if he lost a captain, then you should scout with your lieutenant).  This means you end up with the highest piece on the board.  

2. Sacrifice the piece your opponent found in order to capture smaller pieces and discover new information (i.e. if he found a major, attack and capture one of his pieces with your major to find a general or marshal).  This means you end up with an advantage in smaller pieces and your opponent has the highest piece on the board.

3. Attack with a higher ranked piece than the piece that was revealed (i.e. capture a piece with your marshal or general).  This means you are going to capture additional pieces and/or force your opponent to remember more of your pieces.  

Link to read in depth.

/

This is mostly posts from Enigma and some of Losermaker.

• rgillis783 and murph878 like this
Proud Committee Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#7 rgillis783

rgillis783

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted A week ago

Now this is community in action = moving in the one direction to help the many ! I applaud you JW for organizing your thought and adding/building off of others. Fks,Losermaker & Overlord you are fine examples of trying to expand and assist the Stratego community and it's base of members. MN , Zak & Napo 1 I would never leave you out--Thank You for continuing to post videos of matchs. The many that I left out Thank You as well .

• maxroelofs likes this

#8 jogador

jogador

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted A week ago

Very good work. ;)

#9 josephwhite

josephwhite

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 21 hours ago

Stratego Notes.

Deception' in Stratego can take many forms, but really it can be simplified to a single idea: removing your opponent's ability to recognize common ...

Thanks Fks, I've created two more pages past on your input.

Beginner:_Deception/Recognising Patterns

Intermediate:_Defending_Known_Pieces

I've also added Losermaker's new tutorial.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users