Losermaker

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 15 November 2018 - 06:09 AM

Sorry for the long wait, I found it an extremely difficult topic to explain, but Tutorial 5 is finally complete!

http://forum.strateg...693#entry466693

#42 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 15 November 2018 - 09:17 AM

Suggestion for a new topic: determining whether you're ahead or behind, and generating counter-play when behind. I guess this is also a very complex topic which could be split into several episodes: e.g. info up & material down (or vice versa) and quantity up & quality down (or vice versa), when to trade down to a concrete endgame vs. keeping pieces on the board etc. Is this something you'd like to tackle next?

• Lord Invader and Traxex like this

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#43 Losermaker

Losermaker

Captain

• Members
  • 878 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 15 November 2018 - 10:02 AM

Thanks for the suggestion Rexy. First I will be putting one out about dealing with early lottoers/blitzers, but then I will look at your suggestion along with Fks', both would have quite alot in common as it depends on your trapping and playstyle to know if you are up in the game. I will definitely consider it.

Btw, do you want to play a game sometime? I think you are one of the few regulars I haven't yet played :)

• Lord Invader, TemplateRex and Traxex like this

#44 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 15 November 2018 - 12:00 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Rexy. First I will be putting one out about dealing with early lottoers/blitzers, but then I will look at your suggestion along with Fks', both would have quite alot in common as it depends on your trapping and playstyle to know if you are up in the game. I will definitely consider it.

Btw, do you want to play a game sometime? I think you are one of the few regulars I haven't yet played :)

What was Fks' suggestion? And I added you as a friend, when I'm online I'll challenge you.

• Losermaker likes this

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#45 Losermaker

Losermaker

Captain

• Members
  • 878 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 15 November 2018 - 12:11 PM

Hi LM, If you get the time I would really be interested in on your outlook on trapping your opponents pieces.
I believe from our games and from games I have watched and heard you talk about your games previously you are one of the best in the world if not the best in this specific category of play.

I am looking forward to anything else you have to write!

Players who are looking to become better are getting a massive gift from you and should really capitalize on these tutorials.

• TemplateRex likes this

#46 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 16 November 2018 - 11:15 AM

The last thing to remember is that good players are rarely ever going to let you arrange properly. 

The last tutorial was very instructive, as always. Knowing how to position your base is one, but as you already alluded to, the opponent will keep you under pressure. I counted the number of moves required in each example to organize your base, and it was about 15-20 moves per example, during which blue hardly changed anything on all 3 lanes. Anyway, your insights on positioning are very valuable.

• Losermaker likes this

#47 Losermaker

Losermaker

Captain

• Members
  • 878 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 16 November 2018 - 11:24 PM

Your correct Trex, I didnt change blue's positioning too much because it is hard to come up with scenarios for all the many possible situations that could occur. The main point I wanted to get across to players is to learn to think about how to organize, having an idea in their head about where they want to get to. How exactly they will do it under pressure with variables is something that they will have to try to work out and create their own play style with through experience.

• TemplateRex likes this

#48 Losermaker

Losermaker

Captain

• Members
  • 878 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 28 February 2019 - 06:47 AM

Wasn't sure where to put this as I'm not a major uploader with a topic, but I put up another YT game if anyone is interested: https://youtu.be/0EvNrou-Tsc

• tobermoryx and TemplateRex like this

#49 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 28 February 2019 - 09:42 PM

Wasn't sure where to put this as I'm not a major uploader with a topic, but I put up another YT game if anyone is interested: https://youtu.be/0EvNrou-Tsc

Thanks for the nice video, same setup as against Overlord! Question about the phase between 5:03 and 5:58: in this brief period you allowed his piece diagonal to your right flank colo to be on the inside lane rather than the outside lane, why was that?

It was likely this was either a major or his last colo (since it was looking to get at your known cap + lieut behind the colo), perhaps maybe a captain looking to get a lieut and maybe lotto for a miner. So he could have tried to swap the center lane major and then pull back this piece to his own lines. At this point you were already up a captain, so he should be trying to get this piece back into play. In the end, he never really got a chance to pull back this piece anyway since he had too much pieces moved in his centre, which your known colo could have captured by chasing, but why not keep it pinned on the outside lane just to make sure?

Also, you didn't scout this piece, why didn't you make sure what it was? Suppose it was a captain or major instead of the colo, then your right major and colo could have quickly trapped or exchanged it.

Edited by TemplateRex, 28 February 2019 - 09:42 PM.

#50 Losermaker

Losermaker

Captain

• Members
  • 878 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 28 February 2019 - 10:08 PM

Haha, didn't realize how similar the two setups were actually, I made them at 2 different times and they have 2 different names, but yes they are very similar!

I let him have the inside lane for that brief period to allow to him to back his colonel up the lane if he wanted to. The reason for this is that I wanted to get my major out and he was pinning me down a bit. I could get my major out with the colonel there, but it would take some time so I would trade the time for pinning the colonel.

As for not scouting it, he brought it down with his marshal and was threatening a captain, so it is either 1) a colonel or 2) a major. If it were the major, he would have been bringing out his colonel in the center, hence why I scouted the center pieces with scout and spy rather than just hit things with my majors.

• tobermoryx, Lord Invader and TemplateRex like this

#51 Losermaker

Losermaker

Captain

• Members
  • 878 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:06 PM

New game posted: https://youtu.be/_qdjBHVk5z4

• Dobby125, tobermoryx, Lord Invader and 1 other like this

#52 MG_Earp

MG_Earp

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Scout

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:48 PM

Hello thanks for stratego tutorial. For me as beginner was really nice to find some tutorial about stratego. I learn a lot. Thanks guys to write posts about strategy and tutorials, there is no books about stratego and you are the only ones who help begginers. For example importnes of two squere rule I learn here, before everybody trap my piceses and I was never trap their :)
  • Losermaker likes this

#53 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,216 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 15 April 2019 - 03:23 AM

Losermaker is the new Enigma.

He's a great, thoughtful writer.

🙂👍🏼

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#54 Napoleon 2ème

Napoleon 2ème

Lieutenant

• Swiss Tournament Manager
  • 528 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 15 April 2019 - 04:01 PM

Make a book of stratego is an interesting idea... maybe in the sane way that the fottball album for championsleague ect...
  • MG_Earp likes this
I never lose, I win or I learn…

#55 Lord Invader

Lord Invader

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 15 April 2019 - 04:58 PM

I'd suggest this topic: how to play the opening.  What pieces do you put on the front lines, what's the goal, do you approach things differently if opening on a flank as opposed to the center?  I usually seem to be down a Captain or Major after opening and I'm wondering if I'm not playing things as well as I could.

I like Ouwesok's setup and opening where he puts the General in the front row on the flank and hopes to pin a Major or Colonel w/t/2-square rule.

• MG_Earp likes this

#56 MG_Earp

MG_Earp

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Scout

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:08 PM

A lot of time I put captain in the first rows. The plan is to take with him opponent first row on one line and hope to get good info (colonel). The best would be to get sargent and liutenent + info with him. Or liutant and than change for captain. If you find captain then in launch scout behind him to check. a lot of times are colonel protecting the Captain in first row. Second piece i like liutantant or scout for scouting enemy first rows for bombs. Mostly I start in the middle to get info, if there is bomb and general. Then I know it will be Marshal blitzer before they launch the attack with Marshal and preapare for him with some good trap. I like to play from behind and I am not scare to lose some piceses. Sometimes I fall to far behind and then lose but I must to play agressive, this is me :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users