Losermaker

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold General

Posted 2 weeks ago

I want to keep my tutorial topic clean and easy to read for new players after I have finished writing them. Please use this topic to have discussions or post any comments, questions, suggestions, diagrams, puzzles, setups, or whatever else you want that's' related to my tutorials.

Edited by Losermaker, 2 weeks ago.

• - Sniper - likes this

#2 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,449 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 2 weeks ago

Very good initiative this tutorials!
Yes starting from setup strategy is logical start. I would say there are 2 families of setups, the bombed in flag family and the open flag family. When to use one versus the other?
My point is:
bombed in flag always prefered against unknown players or players with risk of lottoing. At least a lotto player will never be able to lotto your flag if that one is bombed in.
Open flag prefered against very experienced players that you consider as equivalent or stronger thsn you. Such stronger player will recognize positions such as tripod or cornered bombed in flag possible position and focus their attack there. With open flag you may make it more difficult for them to understand your setup.
  • Losermaker, Dobby125 and Fks like this
If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#3 Losermaker

Losermaker

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold General

Posted 2 weeks ago

Hi Napoleon,

Thankyou, I just hope they are not too long and boring for players like yourself.

As someone who is known for playing a strong defensive game, do you have or do you mind making a defensive setup to share? :)

You make a good point, I made this first tutorial in three parts to cover the three aspects of setups, defense, attack, and bluff. I put open flags under the category of bluff as I don't think they should be used more regularly than bombed in flag and are only really something you start doing once the competition increases and you find yourself needing to do something different to win. Even then it is still a risk.

If you are a player ranked beneath gold and playing another gold or lower player then  I would advise to ALWAYS bomb in your flag and generally don't have it in the corner. You will get too many lotto players coming down that lane and getting lucky at finding your flag.

• Dobby125 and rgillis783 like this

#4 Fks

Fks

Captain

• NASF Committee
  • 825 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 2 weeks ago

I was very much anticipating the release of your tutorials, I am glad they are finally here I am looking forward to the next one! Regarding this specific one the actual set up wouldn't fit my style I think but I will try to analyze a bit more when I set up like you have done :)

On a side note regarding Napoleons comment on open flag/ closed. I might be giving away to much info away but I have felt you could always afford to do a totally wack set up vs a defensive player I.E. Napoleon 1er or MTinsley so to speak as they will never punish any fundamental set up flaws that you may have.
  • Losermaker likes this
Proud Committee Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#5 Dobby125

Dobby125

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 2 weeks ago

If you want an optimal win/loss ratio, always play with a bombed in flag against players below 600 ELO.  Always!  It puts a premium value on your opponents miners.  If you capture all their miners, you usually can at least get a draw.  It also allows you to be more aggressive with your high pieces.  If your Marshal gets revealed far away from your side of the board, you don't have to rush back to play defense if your flag is surrounded by bombs.  You don't have to worry about a potential lotto loss.  You just have to stop miners.

When playing with a open flag, always defend your bombs against low pieces like scouts, miners, sergeants and sometimes even lieutenants.  Beginning players let their bombs get revealed too quickly.  Treat every bomb as a spy and defend them well.  Yes, defend your bombs! If your opponent figures out your bomb placements too quickly and too easily(with scouts or other low pieces), you're going to have a tough time winning with an open flag. 

A tip for low ranked Marshal Blitzers:  Keep at least 1 or maybe even 2 bombs on your Marshal/Flag side to slow down the counter attack(the flag is almost always on the Marshal side of blitzers and it's almost always open).  Most of the time low ranked Marshal blitzers put 6 bombs on one side of the board and have their flag on the Marshal side.  You can easily sacrifice your Marshal by taking their General in the middle of the board and then slaughter everything on the Marshal side without much worries of a bomb.  I wouldn't lotto with the General right away though(I almost never have to lotto with this type of counter attack).  Attack pieces that have moved and use scouting pieces to help aid your General.  And if you do lotto with your General and hit a bomb, you can still usually follow up with a Colonel lotto and win enough quality pieces(major, captains or flag) to win the game.  

• Losermaker and The Prof like this

My Youtube Stratego Channel: https://www.youtube....cGDvlZZkGbgq0LA

#6 murph878

murph878

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted 2 weeks ago

Awesome stuff Losermaker. Thanks for doing this. I always enjoy learning from the best.

Any chance in the future you could use pieces with numbers on them. I had a hard time following without them. Just a thought.

Thanks
  • Losermaker and Fairway like this

#7 Losermaker

Losermaker

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold General

Posted 2 weeks ago

@Dobby, Great advice there! Some of that is very similar to what I had prepared for part2 ;)

@murph878

Hi Murph,

No problem, glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately Morx's Setup Editor does not have an option to use numbers and I have to use it for the diagrams, however I could make the setups using stratego.com's setup editor with numbering if that helps? What numbering system do you use?

#8 murph878

murph878

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted 2 weeks ago

Obviously dont worry about it if its too much of a hassle. Just thought there may be an easy way to include them. Either numbering system is fine if you decide to do it on the other editor. I just dont have the faces of the pieces matched to their ranks yet. Maybe something i should do.

Thanks again

#9 Losermaker

Losermaker

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold General

Posted 4 days ago

Part2 is up. Please let me know if the numberings for the setups makes it easier.

http://forum.strateg...ls/#entry456415

#10 murph878

murph878

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted 4 days ago

Much easier for me. Thank you very much. Great info as always
  • Losermaker likes this