#1 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Tournament Manager
  • 3,117 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:00 PM

If you have a question related to the Pyramid League 2018, you may ask here and a member of TC will get back to you.

#2 paulgureghian

paulgureghian

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:22 PM

do the wins and losses in this tourney count in the wins / losses on our profile ? 

#3 Master Mind

Master Mind

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:26 PM

do the wins and losses in this tourney count in the wins / losses on our profile ? 

Yes, your tournament games will be played as friendlies on stratego.com, so they will appear on your profile statistics. However, they won't affect your ELO rating.

#4 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Tournament Manager
  • 3,117 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:53 AM

maxroelofs, on 07 Jun 2018 - 06:39 AM, said:
I am in 3 tournaments already, why are there so many at the same time?

#5 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Tournament Manager
  • 3,117 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 07 June 2018 - 08:11 AM

maxroelofs, on 07 Jun 2018 - 06:39 AM, said:
I am in 3 tournaments already, why are there so many at the same time?

The Pyramid League does not start until July 9th, and does not run simultaneously with another tournament run by TC. The PRO Perfect tournament that you are currently participating in finishes before the Pyramid starts.

The Pyramid will coincide with the World Team Tournament (not run by TC) for a period of approximately 4-5 weeks by the looks of things. However, the Pyramid League does not require a match every week and allows for lengthy absences.

#6 Fairway

Fairway

General

• Junior Tournament Management
  • 2,826 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 08 June 2018 - 05:00 PM

I'm really stupid in trying to figure things out about tournament that aren't standard elimination brackets, so sorry about that :)

Do the players in separate sections of the Pyramid play each other? Meaning, will someone from Core play someone from Apex, and vice versa?

I'm guessing how the tournament standards are calculated is basically a table with x amount of points per win or some other ranking system like that. (If not, correct me :)). So if this is the case, are the standings based separately for each section of the pyramid, or combined?

I don't see a rules thread anywhere in this subforum, perhaps if there was one, it would have the answers to my questions?

WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series!  :D

#7 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Major

• Moderators
  • 1,165 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 08 June 2018 - 05:13 PM

I'm really stupid in trying to figure things out about tournament that aren't standard elimination brackets, so sorry about that :)

Do the players in separate sections of the Pyramid play each other? Meaning, will someone from Core play someone from Apex, and vice versa?

I'm guessing how the tournament standards are calculated is basically a table with x amount of points per win or some other ranking system like that. (If not, correct me :)). So if this is the case, are the standings based separately for each section of the pyramid, or combined?

I don't see a rules thread anywhere in this subforum, perhaps if there was one, it would have the answers to my questions?

There is one Apex division, two Core divisions and two Base divisions. You only play against players in your division. There are separate standings for each division. Each win counts for 2 points, a draw for 1 and a defeat for 0. You play against everybody else in your division once. After all games are completed the player with the most points wins their division.

• Fairway likes this

Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.

#8 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Tournament Manager
  • 3,117 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 09 June 2018 - 01:48 PM

Major Nelson has answered your questions nicely (thanks :-)

The Rules will be published shortly, but you can expect them to be very similar to the previous year.
  • Fairway and Major Nelson like this

#9 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Tournament Manager
  • 3,117 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 21 June 2018 - 07:40 PM

A number of played have asked if they can still participate even if they are away on holiday during the tournament.

The answer is yes - the Pyramid has 11 games in a period of 15 weeks, so even if you are away fro 4-5 weeks over the summer it is still possible to complete your matches.

#10 astros

astros

Stratego TM

• WC Online Team
  • 812 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 05 July 2018 - 06:25 PM

What is the minimum number of players that will be in Apex and Core? Also, are there guaranteed to be two Core Divisions?

Does the TC have any plans to balance the Core and Base divisions based on last year's results?
I'm in love with Stacy's mom.

#11 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Tournament Manager
  • 3,117 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 05 July 2018 - 06:57 PM

The minimum number of Apex participants is the number of players that register. This is currently 10, with gkaros yet to respond. If he accepts there will be 11. No other player has managed to qualify for Apex from the recent years results, however there are a group of 3 players who qualified for Apex last year but did not accept the invitation (Morx, Kernal Mustard and hello124) These players have been invited to the Pyramid but have not registered. Should one of those 3 players register then TC would decide whether or not to make that player the 12th member of Apex.

(This idea was announced here in November 2017 as something that would happen, and then in February 2018 as something that might happen: http://forum.strateg...s/#entry456311)

TC will also vote - for future Pyramid tournaments - whether or not players qualification carries over 1 year if they are unable to accept. For example, Nortrom, Losermaker and mrbrainiac have qualified for Apex this year but have declined. TC will vote whether their invitation to Apex is extended to the following year.

Regarding Core there are currently 16 registered players (with several players yet to respond definitively: KARAISKAKIS, Yellowhat, zoografos, KingTubby, constrictor, John.K1980, Spion..., don mitsos, DR_ELL_SuPREME).

As things stand this would involve two Core divisions of 8 players each. With only a few days left to register it is likely that this number will not increase by much, so again TC will vote whether to allow those players who qualified for Core in the previous year (but did not accept).

Those players are: Manning2Cruz, Desert Oasis, maxroelofs, THEE_ASSASSIN, SEKERTZISS, spyros77, Garulfo, Lonello, dutchkillers, HiImNew, Sohal, NDJ, cflag, DarthRemark, CLEVERMIND, kostas2506

Again many of these players are not currently active (though some are). Like Apex, TC will vote whether to allow qualification for Core to carry over for 1 year if a player isn't able to accept their registration.

Base division currently already has 27 participants, so is too big to be accommodated in two divisions (whilst still maintaining a degree of flexibility in arrangements), so TC will vote on whether to split Base into three divisions. This would finally give the Pyramid its originally desired shape.

To answer your other question there are no existing plans to promote any players to Core (who are currently registered for Base). TC will however also vote on whether to offer places in Core to any of those players - possibly considering performances from the PRO Series which was only conceived after the Pyramid was built).

While the number of participants in each division is planned to be 12, TC realises that the actual numbers of players in each Division is extremely likely to vary from year to year (as we cannot predict who will accept invitations).

TC will make all decisions after the deadline.

#12 astros

astros

Stratego TM

• WC Online Team
  • 812 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:06 PM

Sounds like you guys have thought this out pretty well.

I believe you misunderstood my second question, within Core and Base, are there any plans to allocate players to divisions based on their performance in the last year? For example, ensuring all the players who finished in the top half of their Core Division last year do not all end up in the same division this year. Doing this, no division ends up being the group of death.

Edited by astros, 05 July 2018 - 07:10 PM.

#13 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Tournament Manager
  • 3,117 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:38 PM

I did misunderstand.

Last year the Core Divisions were drawn randomly and there are no plans to do this differently.

There are only (currently) 5 registered players from both Core divisions who finished in the Top 7 of Core last year (leppie, Master Mind, steelers, Wogomite, TheOptician) so I don't believe there is a necessity to try and keep certain players apart. 

What would you have in mind exactly - have Wogomite & TheOptician separated - and have 2 from leppie, Master Mind and steelers also separated? And have 2 from panther65, Major Nelson and roeczak also separated?

#14 astros

astros

Stratego TM

• WC Online Team
  • 812 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:50 PM

Something along those lines, you could also do it on the basis of ELO.

This is more of a concern in the Base Division where the player base is more heterogeneous with platinum marshals and mid-silver players.

There does not need to be an overly complex system, but some way to balance the divisions seems ideal.

Edited by astros, 05 July 2018 - 10:56 PM.

• Wogomite likes this

#15 Fairway

Fairway

General

• 2,826 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 15 July 2018 - 10:55 PM

The players threads show I am in core, however I only qualified for base I am sure.

#16 Fairway

Fairway

General

• 2,826 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 15 July 2018 - 11:19 PM

Never mind, I see under Confirmed Participants thread I was promoted for 9th place finish at WinterTourn  :D

• - Sniper - likes this

#17 Wogomite

Wogomite

Captain

• NASF Committee
  • 881 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 16 July 2018 - 02:03 AM

You're getting better Fairway, just accept it :)
  • Fairway likes this

#18 Sir Kirkendahl

Sir Kirkendahl

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Major

Posted 16 July 2018 - 04:13 AM

I'm brand spanking new and I literally don't know how to begin playing in the tournament. How do I set up matches with the other players in my bracket? I'm at a loss. Please help. Thx.

#19 Master Mind

Master Mind

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 16 July 2018 - 06:18 AM

Hi Sir Kirkendahl,

Nice to have you in the tournament!

The idea of the tournament is to play 10-12 matches against the other players of your division. You are in Base Division Sneferu, which you can find here (http://forum.strateg...ants-standings/). As you might see, there are 11 other players besides you, which you have to play in the coming 17 weeks. It is not important when you play these games, only they must be played within this timeframe. However, TC recommends you to start playing your games early on, so you won't have any scheduling problems when the tournament is on its end.

You have been sent a PM, named 'Pyramid League 2018 - Sneferu (Base)', where all the Sneferu participants as well as the Tournament Committee members are included. In there, you can provide your times (in GMT) so anyone who is able to play at one of your provided times simply accepts one time and confirms to play at that specific time. Also, if someone else already provided times, you can pick one of your opponent's times that's suitable for you. (Example: SusanDD provides Tuesday 18:00 GMT - 20:00 GMT, you are able to play 19:00 GMT so you reply for instance 'SusanDD, lets arrange our game for Tuesday 19:00 GMT').

Hope this helps! 

Kind regards,

Master Mind (TC) 

• pasxalistz likes this

#20 Henry domerkant

Henry domerkant

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel