Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 27 August 2018 - 04:05 AM

Probe has a lot of wonderful options.   The old 5 move Two Squares limit was an option to match the former ISF rules for those who may still have liked such a thing.  These were changed several years ago in the ISF to the current 3 moves that we now use.  Playing Probe with the 5 moves setting in place is a painful thing because it will often use those 5 moves.  :)

I played the old stand alone version today.  I like, after the game is over, you can save it and watch a replay with both side's pieces revealed.  When I played probe, I always played with a random setup and tried to see how many I could win in a row.  It's very hard to do because probe lottoes so well and you get terrible setups.

Here's a minor flaw in the Heroic Battle game.  Probe doesn't sacrifice a lower piece to save a higher piece when the higher piece is  scouted and trapped.  https://youtu.be/upWz1_C0oy4   

My Youtube Stratego Channel: https://www.youtube....cGDvlZZkGbgq0LA

#23 Rick L

Rick L

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 02 October 2018 - 01:31 AM

They just launched a new version of Heroic Battle with Probe that lets you set the aggression level. Try it: at Expert, if you choose Aggressive it takes a lot of chances, but doesn't just lotto. The games move along more quickly than before. If you choose Conservative, it's up to you to initiate a lot of the attacks, although it will come after you if it thinks it should. These are slow games, but well played.

Probe also seems to be protecting its Flag better by running interception routes I hadn't seen before.

I wonder what this version's rating would be??

#24 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 04 October 2018 - 12:50 PM

They just launched a new version of Heroic Battle with Probe that lets you set the aggression level. Try it: at Expert, if you choose Aggressive it takes a lot of chances, but doesn't just lotto. The games move along more quickly than before. If you choose Conservative, it's up to you to initiate a lot of the attacks, although it will come after you if it thinks it should. These are slow games, but well played.

Probe also seems to be protecting its Flag better by running interception routes I hadn't seen before.

I wonder what this version's rating would be??

I played the new version a few times on the aggressive level.  The only difference I noticed so far was it uses scouts earlier in the game.  It also seemed to have higher pieces up front like majors instead of lieutenants or captains.  It still should be very easy to beat for any high/mid gold or platinum player.  I think it can play at the 400 level early in the game, especially if you reveal your high pieces.  The problem is it doesn't maintain that level throughout the game.  It's play gets weak in the middle and end game, especially if it's behind in material.  It still makes strange moves and hangs pieces.  It doesn't trap pieces very well.  It sometimes doesn't notice obvious 2 square rule traps.  It doesn't defend it's General or Spy that well.   I think it does a good job at hiding it's Marshal.  It also seems to make good guesses at where your spy is located(maybe I'm too obvious with my spy placement).  I think it does a good job with it's miners trying to find your flag throughout the game. 

I think it's probably a good challenge for most of the Bronze/Silver players at Stratego.com. If you make too many blunders, it will beat you.  I've been playing it really aggressive the last 50 games.  I've been lottoing Majors down both sides and then lotto behind the lakes until they get captured to find high piece information or bombs.  I also tried attacking anything that moves or gets scouted with a General in the center of the board(a general blitz) until the Marshal or General captures my General.  Even then, it's still fairly easy to beat.  I think I'll try lottoing my Marshal to see how well I do in the next 20 games.  Eventually, I'll forward all the game weaknesses I find to the author of the game, so he can try to improve it. 

#25 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 07 October 2018 - 02:14 AM

I just played 3 games with the new version of Heroic Battle/Probe.  I tried lottoing my General early in the games to find the marshal and play from behind.  I found out I'm pretty good at lottoing. :lol:  I used their Blitzkrieg setup that revealed all my high pieces early.  Probe plays at a much higher level throughout the game when it knows all your high pieces.  The last game was interesting.  Hopefully, the game keeps on getting better.

https://www.youtube....h?v=QS3u6twyDqY

• TemplateRex likes this

#26 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 07 October 2018 - 09:28 AM

I just played 3 games with the new version of Heroic Battle/Probe.  I tried lottoing my General early in the games to find the marshal and play from behind.  I found out I'm pretty good at lottoing. :lol:  I used their Blitzkrieg setup that revealed all my high pieces early.  Probe plays at a much higher level throughout the game when it knows all your high pieces.  The last game was interesting.  Hopefully, the game keeps on getting better.

https://www.youtube....h?v=QS3u6twyDqY

If Probe keeps this poor level of play, I might have to get serious about writing my own AI. :)
  • Wogomite likes this

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#27 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 07 October 2018 - 11:08 PM

I just won against Probe

R2e7uP4.jpg

Down the marshal and a major, for 2 miners up, I had just dislodged his 5th bomb, only for my miner to be captured by his... (drums) bombed in colonel. In the mean time, his last miner was next to my flag, so I just blindly hit with my colonel on I9 and presto :) This is really next-level stuff, bombing in the colonel; I should incorporate that into my game play.

• Dobby125 and Fairway like this

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#28 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,522 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 08 October 2018 - 12:14 PM

🤣 Funny stuff!

Although it's been awhile since my last game with it, I've played Probe a bunch. It never did anything quite as silly as bombing in a colonel in its setup before, though I have seen the 2nd row flag a number of times.

What setting was Probe on for this game? Beginning or intermediate, I'm assuming? It does do better on the advanced level game as I recall.

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#29 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 08 October 2018 - 12:16 PM

Funny stuff!

Although it's been awhile since my last game with it, I've played Probe a bunch. It never did anything quite as silly as bombing in a colonel in its setup before, though I have seen the 2nd row flag a number of times.

What setting was Probe on for this game? Beginning or intermediate, I'm assuming? It does do better on the advanced level game as I recall.

This was 15s per move (expert mode) + designed setup.

#30 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 08 October 2018 - 02:11 PM

If Probe keeps this poor level of play, I might have to get serious about writing my own AI. :)

I thought it was my highly, superior play that made Probe look bad.  :)   

The new version or Heroic Battle(on aggressive mode) seems to play like the standalone version of probe now.  It's more aggressive with scouts early and it lottos much, more frequently.  It's pretty good at lottoing too.   I almost lost the last game when it's Major went on a good lotto run at the end. Glad it didn't get my last miner.  Heroic Battle didn't lotto much in it's previous version.  This aggressive mode version did lotto it's colonel into my bomb in the 1st game or 2nd game.  It wouldn't have done that in the previous version.  

The biggest flaw right now with the game is it hangs pieces.  It lets you capture pieces, with a known revealed piece, when it's own piece can get away.  That makes no sense at all.  I was chasing a known major with my known general in a close game.  It ran away on 7 turns as I chased the major.  Then, it stopped and moved another piece, letting me capture it's major with my general.  It does this all the time.  And that flaw ruins the challenge.  Maybe the game's AI randomly chooses the best move from out of the best 2 or 3 top moves that it's calculated, so it's less predictable.  But the random move it picks should be voided if a piece that can get away is about to be captured.  It should almost always move a piece that's about to be captured.

Another big flaw(especially at end game) is it moves a piece that hasn't moved, that is already trapped or can be easily trapped when it has much better options to move.  It's basically giving you free pieces at the end game, when it doesn't have too.  

I think the game is still competitive for over 90 percent of the players on Stratego.com, especially for players that don't know how to play from behind.  For stronger players, I recommend revealing your high pieces early in the game(use their awful blitzkreig setup).  Probe plays better when it knows your high pieces early.  If you still have no trouble beating it, then start playing down pieces.  I like lottoing majors down the sides and middle and start the game down 2 or 3 majors(depending if you lotto into 1 of their majors).  That will help players learn to play down in material, but ahead in information.  Usually, you'll find a bomb, colonel and hopefully a gen or marshal.  Hopefully, you'll also gain some smaller pieces.  Being down 2 or 3 majors is a challenge to win.  Bombing in your marshal or general in the corner can be fun too.  That way you learn to play without it for most of the game.  Or you can just lotto with a General(like I did in my games) or Marshal and hopefully play from behind to get a tough challenge. BTW, lottoing is fun. :D

When playing the standalone version of Probe, change this setting to make it play better:

Launch Probe

Tools/Explore Data Files

Edit ProbeAI.txt

Change the third entry to Setup Matching=Enabled

It will remember your previous setups and then use that info to play you better in future games.

#31 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 08 October 2018 - 05:51 PM

When playing the standalone version of Probe, change this setting to make it play better:
Launch Probe
Tools/Explore Data Files
Edit ProbeAI.txt
Change the third entry to Setup Matching=Enabled

It will remember your previous setups and then use that info to play you better in future games.

I use this occasionally. But mostly I use Probe to play test a new setup, to see if my pieces work well together, can be developed quickly etc. I play a dozen or so openings (max 100 moves) and adjust my setups accordingly. In this mode, I want maximum variety in Probe’s setups.

#32 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 09 October 2018 - 12:42 AM

I use this occasionally. But mostly I use Probe to play test a new setup, to see if my pieces work well together, can be developed quickly etc. I play a dozen or so openings (max 100 moves) and adjust my setups accordingly. In this mode, I want maximum variety in Probe’s setups.

Try this challenge with HB.  It's fun.

https://youtu.be/yaI3ds_mP0w

#33 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 28 October 2018 - 05:47 PM

Try this challenge with HB.  It's fun.

https://youtu.be/yaI3ds_mP0w

I win this more often than not. On my high-end pic it is somewhat more difficult than on my puny phone, but I rarely lost this challenge. I even tried a double flank colo lotto and still won.
  • Dobby125 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users