#1 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• Moderators
  • 2,145 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 20 April 2018 - 11:00 AM

http://www.kleier.ne...ble.php?eid=596 (results)

https://imgur.com/a/fOL9zTH (album)

• Aris1970, Master Mind, Fks and 1 other like this
"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

#2 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 684 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 20 April 2018 - 11:40 AM

Worthy story about this tournament, in one of the rounds I played a game with time pressure.

At about 10:30 on the overall game clock and 9:20 or 9.30 on the opponent clock I started my last attack. My major hit a bomb, my other piece hit another bomb, then I managed to put a scout on the last row next to what I thought was the flag.

The opponent shook my hand and I thought I had won in the last minute.

He looked at the clock and said it is a draw. 9:16 on the game clock, 9:16 on his clock. The referee was standing next to the board and already knew this.

The surprise and disappointment must have been all over my face, but we had a good laugh after.

• Fks and The Achaean like this

#3 Henry domerkant

Henry domerkant

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 20 April 2018 - 02:30 PM

Worthy story about this tournament, in one of the rounds I played a game with time pressure.

At about 10:30 on the overall game clock and 9:20 or 9.30 on the opponent clock I started my last attack. My major hit a bomb, my other piece hit another bomb, then I managed to put a scout on the last row next to what I thought was the flag.

The opponent shook my hand and I thought I had won in the last minute.
He looked at the clock and said it is a draw. 9:16 on the game clock, 9:16 on his clock. The referee was standing next to the board and already knew this.

The surprise and disappointment must have been all over my face, but we had a good laugh after.

Guess what
This happened on a game between major nelson and george franka in marmari
Basically nelson saved the draw for 1 sec but franka took the flag started to run outside with nelson' flag screaming
Nooooo( his answer on nelson saying )
And you as a referee gave the win to franka

#4 roeczak

roeczak

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 917 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 20 April 2018 - 02:37 PM

Henry, Morx was most definitely not the referee (he was playing and won the tournament , with Franka 2nd and me 3rd) It was Mark Coenen I think.

Anyway kudos to Morx for being a good sport in a situation that can be easily abused with the current rules.
If you enjoy stratego you might want to subscribe to Roeczak. Member of Stratego Captains Club. Actively trying to promote the game and would like to help in any activity towards that goal. Highest Rating : 898 (Platinum Marshal)

#5 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Major

• Moderators
  • 1,140 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 20 April 2018 - 02:43 PM

Morx was playing as well when I played Franka, Mark Coenen was the ref. I guess he took Franka's word for the outcome of our game because he has a reputation at live tournaments and I don't.

Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.

#6 Henry domerkant

Henry domerkant

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 20 April 2018 - 02:46 PM

Morx was the second referee because george frantzis wasnt there

#7 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 684 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:09 PM

OK not sure about the mix up here, but I was a player in both the Marmari World championship and the Marmari Open Tournament, not the referee?

I remember discussing this game though, but not from standing next to it, but from hearing most likely what was about half the story afterwards.

One of the things I will propose for the coming world championship and other major tournaments is to have a refereeing log where exceptional cases, gathered facts and the decisions made are recorded for future improvement of process or rules. This will help the whole worldwide community with lessons learned.

#8 roeczak

roeczak

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 917 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:17 PM

Morx ,
I would like to hear your/the Dutchmen's version of the story. (I didnt actually see what happened but i trust Henry and MN a lot)

Maybe this would belong to the refereeing topic.
If you enjoy stratego you might want to subscribe to Roeczak. Member of Stratego Captains Club. Actively trying to promote the game and would like to help in any activity towards that goal. Highest Rating : 898 (Platinum Marshal)

#9 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 684 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:29 PM

It surely does belong to refereeing, but as a case study. I will discuss this one with a few other referees.

It is a good example of something that took a few seconds (if that) only to gather the right evidence and make the right call.

Based on what I remember if the referee was not standing next to the board before it happened, it was almost impossible to judge fairly.

I do not even remember the exact way the facts were represented to me later, because I remember asking questions about the fact finding and there seemed to be inconsistencies or incompleteness there.

#10 Don_Homer

Don_Homer

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:31 PM

Anyway kudos to Morx for being a good sport in a situation that can be easily abused with the current rules.

Hi Roeczak, How should the rules be easily abused? The situation Morx describied is pretty common. Only thing what sometimes happens is that some players are not familiar with the rule and forget to claim the draw or an opponent need to call the referee to confirm that its a fair draw. 

Molto Bene, Thats a nica Donut !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users