Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 713 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 22 April 2018 - 07:04 PM

I announced my candidacy again today.

I already offered to step up weeks ago, to help improve the service delivered to the end users of the site.

For the people who do not know me: I have experience in organizing events (Stratego related and otherwise), refereeing and volunteering work in various roles. This includes, but is not limited to, moderator work for another Stratego game site, 3 editions of the WCO, and the board of an international Stratego organization.

Strong points:

-Good understanding of processes and procedure

- Good grasp of game rules

- Ability to look at the bigger picture and turn this into implementation of solutions that work

- Action and result driven

I am sure there will be some questions related to my recent forum activity in the Future of the MT or maybe other subjects, so please go ahead.

• berre, rgillis783 and TemplateRex like this

#42 tobermoryx

tobermoryx

Major

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold General

Posted 22 April 2018 - 07:10 PM

Morx, you have a good CV for this no doubt.

What exactly would you change about the way MT operates ?

#43 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 713 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 22 April 2018 - 07:29 PM

In the Future of the MT there was a lot of feedback given by a lot of different users. I turned relevant comments from this into a document and analyzed the feedback and solutions. These are written down in what I call an improvement plan.

In this plan there would be changes to processes, procedures and game rules that would make the working of the MT more efficient and give the end users faster response to their entries and increase the quality of the output.

To give a concrete example of this I agree with Astros in the fact that with some change to the Abusive Behaviour rules, cases can be handled faster and more consistently.

Also to me the current mission statement of the MT is unclear. It seems to be mostly about acting on cases, but that is a fairly operational task.

In my opinion the MT should do more than that. I would like to look at the overall vision and include these less visible but very important jobs to the surface.

To give an example: in the abusive thread I talked a bit about the relationship with the site ownership and how to overcome some of the difficulties if there is no time or money invested. I mention the clean ranking as a good volunteering initiative to deal with shortcomings of the standard software implemented by the site and try to encourage people to think outside the box regarding solutions.

The requirement that MTinsley posted suggests that there is also thinking about the policies and changing them when needed.

2. Discussing new policies for the site, its community, and its rules.

This is another good example of something where I can add value.

• berre likes this

#44 tobermoryx

tobermoryx

Major

• Honorary members
  • 1,345 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold General

Posted 22 April 2018 - 08:29 PM

The opinion of Astros seemed to be that there should be standard punishments for using certain words.

As I said this would appear to ignore the context.

I could play 7 different people and all of them at some point post 'f****** idiot' in the battlechat.

Player 1 says it after he blows up his Marshal on my front row bomb.

2 says it after I blow up my Marshal on his front row bomb.

3 says it when nothing at all has happened.

4 says it after I called him a clown because he was running around the lake in a clear draw scenario

5 says it while I am running around the lake in a clear draw scenario.

6 says it after I posted a lot of unprovoked abuse towards him. 

7 says it after I posted abuse at him, but firstly he had called me a clown for no reason. 

If the exact words are posted in every case should the punishment be the same in every case ?

• Unladen Swallow and Fks like this

#45 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 22 April 2018 - 08:34 PM

There shouldn't be any standardised punishment.

It all varies upon context. 

• Nortrom, tobermoryx and rgillis783 like this

I used to play against a few drunken idiots in College and University. I just recently discovered this game online, playing my first matches against real-world opponents. After 100 games, I'm now one of the top 10 players in the world. 

#46 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 713 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:18 PM

Tobermoryx and others: if you read again what I said: I agree with the concept of changes to the abusive rules, that does not mean I agree with the what and how of what Astros proposes in detail.

I agree with him on a higher level: there are improvements to be made to the Abuse case handling process.

#47 astros

astros

Stratego TM

• NASF Committee
  • 926 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:38 PM

The opinion of Astros seemed to be that there should be standard punishments for using certain words.

As I said this would appear to ignore the context.

I could play 7 different people and all of them at some point post 'f****** idiot' in the battlechat.

Player 1 says it after he blows up his Marshal on my front row bomb.
2 says it after I blow up my Marshal on his front row bomb.
3 says it when nothing at all has happened.
4 says it after I called him a clown because he was running around the lake in a clear draw scenario
5 says it while I am running around the lake in a clear draw scenario.
6 says it after I posted a lot of unprovoked abuse towards him. 
7 says it after I posted abuse at him, but firstly he had called me a clown for no reason. 

If the exact words are posted in every case should the punishment be the same in every case ?

Per my proposal: Player 1 was not insulting you so he would not be punished. Player 2 would be punished if there was no provocation. Player 3 would be punished. Players 4 through 7 would not be punished as there are mitigating circumstances.
  • MTinsley likes this
Cheesecake

#48 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,378 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:34 AM

My opinion is and always has been that language is language. There is no excuse for sitting down at a keyboard, placing both hands on the keys, and then actually typing out words on the screen that are not civil. There's too much time involved for any word typed to be considered okay because it is "blurting out" or that there are "mitigating circumstances".

One may consider with sympathy things that spill out from the lips when one, say, stubs his toe. It is understandable and we've all been there. The mouth is close to the brain after all. But I personally don't extend that understanding to fingers all the way at the end of one's arms operating a keyboard.
  • Wogomite likes this

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#49 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,225 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:59 AM

One may consider with sympathy things that spill out from the lips when one, say, stubs his toe. It is understandable and we've all been there. The mouth is close to the brain after all. But I personally don't extend that understanding to fingers all the way at the end of one's arms operating a keyboard.

Greetings, Gary. Although I agree with you to a large extent, your example is a one size fits all–please take into account that more young people than not are glued to their phones and iPads, and "texting" is practically the communication of the day. No joke! Plenty of people are sitting with friends at a coffee house, or a restaurant, and are texting to one another incessantly in spite of being in the same room AT THE SAME TABLE with their friends.

So...you may be right about the use of language fundamentally, but for many, typing is their physical form of communicating...as sick, twisted, and sad as that may seem. :(

#50 Wogomite

Wogomite

Captain

• Honorary members
  • 882 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:07 PM

KMC, I fully agree that communication has sadly come to this type of decended form but what Gary is saying is that when something frustrating happens in game, it is understandable that one would respond intantaneously with all kinds of words out loud that could burn childrens (or adults) ears. One does however have a bit more conscience control over moving his/her mouse, point it over the chat bar, press the bar with a finger, take hand from mouse, place it on keyboard, type feelings and press enter. Unless our self control and conscience has also decended with our forms of communication, I believe in humanity a bit more than acceptance for bad behaviour. Having a 'they don't know any better' mindset is enabling and only supports an idea that has a lack of regard for self and others. I truly hope our self awareness is not disapating also. This is a site that does not offer elicit protection therefor making rules that allow for elicit behaviour is non sense.
  • Don_Homer and Losermaker like this

#51 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,225 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 24 April 2018 - 01:15 PM

Hey, Wogomite! Thanks for the reply–I do understand well Gary's meaning in his post, and I agree with him. It is also true what you say that goes in line with his thoughts about making the effort to type something as opposed to being satisfied with merely letting out one's own frustrations aloud in the privacy of their own home, and not imposing it by typing it to someone. The point I am making (and I do not condone this kind of behavior), is that some of these people need the release and use their keyboards...again, it is no excuse, but there are some who find it necessary to share the incredible outbursts they are feeling...yeah...it is sad.

As has always been the best way to avoid these chat abuse situations–do not open the battlechat with strangers, and if you do, and if someone has sent an unpleasant chat attack, then turn off your sound, close the battlechat, make the battlechat window prompt disappear by scrolling down, and then concentrate quietly on beating your opponent.

#52 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,844 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 24 April 2018 - 04:47 PM

Let's say it is allowed to cry out any possible "heartable" words to your screen but it is not allowed to write them ... easy rule
If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#53 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Captain

• Members
  • 826 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:17 PM

After consideration Im interested in joining the MT. I just have sollicitated [sic] and I hope this will attract some more members to apply! :)

Dearest MT Candidate,

Being a protector to the community is not an easy job. It means you'll be the next target of the feared, villainous PB clique.  If you're willing to rise to the challenge I do have a few questions I would like to propose:

• Why do you want to be a MT for stratego.com when you're a huge advocate for gravon;  a competing site? This is a strange move since you've been on gravon for years and have only joined the forum recently. Some would critique there is a conflict of interest, or that you just want the position for the power (or lack thereof in this case).
  • What do you feel you would bring to the MT? Why should the MT elect someone (relatively) inexperienced forum user over a longstanding member, such as maybe Yellowhat?
  • Finally, I have a few policy questions I would like to ask. Do you think the MT of Stratego.com should punish those who disconnect in a clearly losing position, such as if the Marshal hit a bomb the move prior?
  • Should the MT, finally, enforce double/multiple chasing? If so, how do you propose it can be sensibly enforced on the site without programming changes? Unfortunately we have no developer to make these changes. Should it be enforced selectively, to established forum users who are familiar with ISF rules, or should it be enforced to everyone with milder punishments for 1st time offenses? 
  • How would you improve the current rules on draw refusal or abusive behaviour? If you think these rules need to be improved. 
  • Do you think it is a good idea to allow the community to either appoint, or remove, a moderator by public election? 

Thank you for your time answering these questions,

Josh

• KissMyCookie likes this

I used to play against a few drunken idiots in College and University. I just recently discovered this game online, playing my first matches against real-world opponents. After 100 games, I'm now one of the top 10 players in the world. 

#54 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 713 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:59 PM

One of the issues I have with the candidacy of Don_Homer is that he does have no understanding or affinity with the case process:

In quite a number of recent Topics of Abusive Behaviour cases he was seen actively trying to discourage people to open cases. In this example it was KARAISKAKIS case that was targetted. He also targetted other people.

Bystanders trying to influence the process  do not meet my approval. I called him out for this in public: here

His response makes it even more clear what he thinks of the process

Or that he is not very good at reading replies and analyzing them before talking back

• TemplateRex likes this

#55 Don_Homer

Don_Homer

Captain

• Members
  • 902 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:32 PM

Dearest MT Candidate,

Being a protector to the community is not an easy job. It means you'll be the next target of the feared, villainous PB clique.  If you're willing to rise to the challenge I do have a few questions I would like to propose:

• Why do you want to be a MT for stratego.com when you're a huge advocate for gravon;  a competing site? This is a strange move since you've been on gravon for years and have only joined the forum recently. Some would critique there is a conflict of interest, or that you just want the position for the power (or lack thereof in this case). I obviously like gravon, but I like the game of stratego more than any online platform. This platform might have more potential to grow and more to improve. I like to assist this proces. I dont seek any power.  
  • What do you feel you would bring to the MT? Why should the MT elect someone (relatively) inexperienced forum user over a longstanding member, such as maybe Yellowhat? It would be nice if Yellowhat applies too. I think we have different qualities and the conclusion can be that Yellowhat or somebody else is the best candidate. 
  • Finally, I have a few policy questions I would like to ask. Do you think the MT of Stratego.com should punish those who disconnect in a clearly losing position, such as if the Marshal hit a bomb the move prior?  Maybe if the player does it multiple times.
  • Should the MT, finally, enforce double/multiple chasing? If so, how do you propose it can be sensibly enforced on the site without programming changes? Unfortunately we have no developer to make these changes. Should it be enforced selectively, to established forum users who are familiar with ISF rules, or should it be enforced to everyone with milder punishments for 1st time offenses? This is a very complex subject. Im in great favor of a developer to make the changes. Also I am a big fan of the ISF rules. This discussion should have top-priority if you ask me and Im looking forward to hear about the possibilities for implemenation.
  • How would you improve the current rules on draw refusal or abusive behaviour? If you think these rules need to be improved. I dont know, maybe we should discuss this further within the community.
  • Do you think it is a good idea to allow the community to either appoint, or remove, a moderator by public election? I see both disadvantages as advantages but the community should defenitely be involved more.

Thank you for your time answering these questions,

Josh

Dear Josh,

Thanks for the trust of being your dearest mt candidate (for now) :).Actually there are some connections between your first question and your other questions! I have answered your questions in red beneath them. I dont know if we should have these posts in this topic but I trust the MT to copy them elsewhere when necessary. Remember, these are my personal opinions and most questions are food for discussion. Maybe discussions will change my mind. I hope I answered your questions sufficient.

Ruben

• Colonel Chop Chop likes this

Molto Bene, Thats a nica Donut !

#56 Don_Homer

Don_Homer

Captain

• Members
  • 902 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:44 PM

One of the issues I have with the candidacy of Don_Homer is that he does have no understanding or affinity with the case process:

In quite a number of recent Topics of Abusive Behaviour cases he was seen actively trying to discourage people to open cases. In this example it was KARAISKAKIS case that was targetted. He also targetted other people.

Bystanders trying to influence the process  do not meet my approval. I called him out for this in public: here

His response makes it even more clear what he thinks of the process

Or that he is not very good at reading replies and analyzing them before talking back

Hi Morx,

We certainly disagree on these points so I think these are good examples to see our differences. I have no problem with cases and I think your cases should have been handled quicker but I had (and still have) a problem with the way you were handling the cases, the amount of (similar) cases and your general behaviour to promote your cases.

Molto Bene, Thats a nica Donut !

#57 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,844 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:47 PM

@ Morx,

I disagree. Don Homer would be a very good candidate in my opinion.He is dutch, has good command of english, has a very long experience of the game, has not hesitated to counter the PB clique with senseful calming opinions and in those days where it is particularly difficult to recruit free volunteers for joining MT his candidature is courageous and more than appreciated.

As you can see after nearly 1 week you have not been able to gather more than 3 candidates from which 2  may have been good candidates a year ago but since they've lost all their credibility in the last months with their witch hunt against Lonello and their obvious power plays my feeling is they would get a majority against them if the selection would go through elections. So for me for time being  only DOn Homer 's candidature is of interest. Might be a good idea to open a poll asking the community who they prefer between the 3 candidates ...

• Don_Homer, Unladen Swallow and Colonel Chop Chop like this
If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#58 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,225 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:16 PM

Dear Josh,

Thanks for the trust of being your dearest mt candidate (for now) :).Actually there are some connections between your first question and your other questions! I have answered your questions in red beneath them. I dont know if we should have these posts in this topic but I trust the MT to copy them elsewhere when necessary. Remember, these are my personal opinions and most questions are food for discussion. Maybe discussions will change my mind. I hope I answered your questions sufficient.

Ruben

3d8ytkD.jpg

#59 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 713 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:41 PM

Hi Morx,

have no problem with cases

Your actions proved different there, multiple times.

I do not want to look up all the discussions again, I think most forum readers know that I can get all the evidence to support this statement if requested listed in a thread.

but I had (and still have) a problem with the way you were handling the cases, the amount of (similar) cases and your general behaviour to promote your cases.

Notice that the first cases I was defending were not my cases. They belonged to various other people. I just followed the process and you were actively interfering with the process. All claims regarding the handling of the process and the process steps I made were in line with what the process should deliver and in line with the site policy.

I did exactly what is expected of a member of MT. You did exactly the opposite.

#60 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Captain

• Members
  • 826 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 27 April 2018 - 01:03 AM

I intend to candidate to be MT member.

lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users