#1 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Tournament Manager
  • 3,117 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:03 PM

tobermoryx has proposed that TC require players that sign the Alias Register to declare any account used in the past 6 months (even if they exercise their option to delete that account) on the basis that this prevents players from gaining an advantage prior to signing the Alias Register.

You can see his proposal here:

http://forum.strateg...c-proposal-log/

(Forum members are invited to join in this discussion).

#2 astros

astros

Stratego TM

• WC Online Team
  • 814 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:53 PM

I would support this and extend the period to 1 year as long as players are not retroactively punished.
I'm in love with Stacy's mom.

#3 Fks

Fks

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,245 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:57 PM

Sure it is a good idea :)

Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#4 Don_Homer

Don_Homer

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 14 April 2018 - 05:22 PM

I do support this as well.

Molto Bene, Thats a nica Donut !

#5 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Tournament Manager
  • 3,117 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:31 AM

I do support the principle behind this proposal, but in terms of enforcement this may be difficult to monitor. It is impossible to tell exactly when an account last played a match, so if one account is accused of being used within the previous (eg 6 months), I'm not sure how TC are expected to verify this (unless the accuser kept dated screenshots of all their opponents).

Currently, TC consider it an offence to play any game on an account not declared in the Alias Register. This is easy to enforce once an account is revealed as an alias, because you can look up the number of games played on the leaderboard.

#6 scottrussia

scottrussia

Captain

• Members
  • 800 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:03 PM

As someone that plays often against "new" accounts simply due to ELO being used to draw players together, I can state that there are a TON of fake accounts.  It is amazing the number of accounts that start out being 10-0, 17-2, 21-3.  Given the number you'd think we'd have 100's of active 900 ELO players wanting in the tournaments.  (though I guess some are working hard at getting players out of tournaments).

Unless the TC has access to some sort of tool that links accounts and their web addresses, I don't see how anything like this is enforceable.  Even then I know that you can use false servers to access information normally blocked in some countries - so I would assume you could do the same for fake accounts (why someone would spend the time/money to do so is a different conversation).

At the end of the day, one of the advantages of a tournament is that it minimizes all these efforts at gaining an advantage.  You still have to put your army on the board and win.  So while I have no issues with the rule itself, I view it more as window dressing rather than solving much of an issue - as I think there are already a ton of undeclared accounts (that I assume TC has little if any ability to have visibility to).

​Spartan Warriors

KING of the Battlefield!!!!!!

#7 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Tournament Manager
  • 3,117 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 21 April 2018 - 05:28 PM

Apart from an occasional IP check, TC don't have special powers. I would agree with scott that in reality this proposal would likely have little or no impact.

However, while that makes enforcing the rule hard, it isnt pointless. 2 players have been caught breaching the Alias Register to date, and while they hopefully will be the last they probably won't be. Enforceability is minimal, but it's not zero, so if the principle is solid (discouraging players from looking to seek an unfair advantage by not declaring account), then the proposal should probably go ahead.

#8 scottrussia

scottrussia

Captain

• Members
  • 800 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:52 AM

Does TC have the ability to do IP checks for a user name against known IP addresses?

If so then the proposal might actually be viable if a database of IP addresses were built against declared names.

Its a rainy morning here and not much going on so I sat and watched three consecutive games against accounts with names/records that are obviously "fake" accounts and aren't declared in the list of accounts.

If so, then this should be expanded so that players can put a user name into a list along with the names record and the TC could do a check.  It might also lead you to identify outside of tournaments - those that most abuse the idea of playing with one account.

​Spartan Warriors

KING of the Battlefield!!!!!!

#9 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Tournament Manager
  • 3,117 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:18 AM

Does TC have the ability to do IP checks for a user name against known IP addresses?

If so then the proposal might actually be viable if a database of IP addresses were built against declared names.

Its a rainy morning here and not much going on so I sat and watched three consecutive games against accounts with names/records that are obviously "fake" accounts and aren't declared in the list of accounts.

If so, then this should be expanded so that players can put a user name into a list along with the names record and the TC could do a check.  It might also lead you to identify outside of tournaments - those that most abuse the idea of playing with one account.

Admin occasionally provide 'IP Matches'. If Player A uses (or has used) IP X and Player B also uses (or has used) IP X, then should we request that admin run an IP match for Player A, Player B will be included in the list of matching accounts. The actual IP address is never disclosed by admin.

#10 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Tournament Manager
  • 3,117 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:09 PM

Let's suppose we required players to list all accounts that they had used in the past year.

This would have apply to all players who had signed the Alias Register in the past year (as well as any new players), otherwise you are demanding more of new players than you are of existing ones. So for a player that signed the Alias Register six months ago, that player would also have to declare any accounts that they had used in the 6 months prior to their signing.

But are we seriously expecting players to have logged which accounts they have used to play a game a year ago?

#11 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Tournament Manager
  • 3,117 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 20 May 2018 - 10:08 PM

Thinking about this some more, there is a way we can do this.

Let's say you have two snapshots of the Leaderboard. The first snapshot is on February 2, 2017. The second snapshot is on May 18th, 2018.

By comparing these two snapshots you can identify all accounts who have played a game at some point between those dates, and remove those who have not.

So rather than expect the player to remember all accounts that they have used since Feburary 2, 2017, the TC could just publish that list, and ask players to refer to it and declare any of their accounts on that list.

This way both new players and existing players are treated the same.

Now as it happens, TC does have a list. It's not quite a full snapshot of the leaderboard, but it is a list of every player who has played a game since Feburary 2 2017, who is either

1. currently 624ELO or greater

OR

2. who is currently below 624ELO, but was above 624ELO as of Feb 2, 2017.

There are 1,264 accounts on the list. For anyone interested here is a link:

https://1drv.ms/x/s!...x1YMFgButBMRlpk

This also allows us to look at (for example) the accounts who have made the best improvement in the last 470 days:

ixPvNH5.jpg

Many have asked the question - 'How big is the Active playing community'?

While we can't answer this question exactly without a full leaderboard export compared across two time periods, we can note that of the 1800 accounts currently ranked 624ELO or greater, only 1078 (60%) have played a game or more in the past 15 months.

#12 TheOptician

TheOptician

Marshal

• Tournament Manager
  • 3,117 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:53 PM

TC have now voted on this proposal.

Result 4-0 (For)

TC have decided to introduce an 'Enforcement Date' for the Alias Register which is February 2, 2017.

This means that all tournament players will be required to declare (if they haven't done so already) all accounts that have played at least one game since the enforcement date.

Because this is 16 months ago, TC have prepared a list of all the accounts that are known to have played a game since the Enforcement date.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!...x1YMFgButBMRlpk

Put simply: any name that appears on the above list has played a game since the enforcement date and therefore must be declared.

TC will shortly provide instructions in the Alias Register.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users