FedExodus

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Miner

Posted 08 April 2018 - 07:04 AM

Hi all. I’m pretty new to this game and have found that my greatest struggle is mounting an effective attack. I can defend fairly well imo, but without a good offense, I feel like I’m playing catch-up the whole game. What can I do to improve? Thanks!

#2 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 4,885 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 08 April 2018 - 08:38 AM

Welcome to the site and forum!

Attacking is a subject that has been a problem for many people. Myself included. I like to hang back and be defensive.

Much has been written in these forum pages about the subject but it seems not in awhile. So thanks for posting the question this time. And good luck improving! :)

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#3 rgillis783

rgillis783

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 08 April 2018 - 11:34 AM

Hello FedEx- I first started out going on offence with a 7-8-3 combo. The colonel to get pieces a miner for bombs and expendable. I then found myself down a colonel due to opponents, General/Marshal but would get info on opponent. This worked for a certain level of game play. The more games I played the more I paid attention to my opponents game play and how they moved in on me-their offence. What I came to grasp was that all players use different  styles. I needed to learn the players ! The forum was great place for information and intel . A fine group of players much better than I  post videos on this subject on YouTube--give these a shot maybe catch a stream someday.My last thoughts on this matter is find a friend and get a bunch of matchs going between yourselves, this way you can get good feedback from someone you trust and the matchs will not effect your rank

Edited by rgillis783, 08 April 2018 - 11:38 AM.

#4 Guldin

Guldin

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Colonel

Posted 08 April 2018 - 09:26 PM

i wouldn't recommend becoming a marsh charging lottoer which seems to be a popular strategy around here that isn't going to work! there are to many strategies to discuss or single out, the one word that comes to my mind is methodical. think of it from a military standpoint. do you think george washington went charging in first by himself in any battles against the redcoats?  

Edited by Guldin, 08 April 2018 - 09:26 PM.

#5 серп и мо́лот

серп и мо́лот

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Sergeant

Posted 08 April 2018 - 11:57 PM

Stratego is about Strategy, not war. This is from Sun Tzu... "Victorious warriors win first then go to war. Defeated warriors go to war first, then seek to win. "

#6 Wogomite

Wogomite

Sergeant

• NASF Committee
  • 364 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 09 April 2018 - 12:49 AM

Sun Tzu- 'The Art of War' offers fabulous advice. 

• серп и мо́лот likes this

#7 серп и мо́лот

серп и мо́лот

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Sergeant

Posted 09 April 2018 - 01:02 AM

Here is another one by Sun Tzu:

"Know your enemy, and know yourself, and you can fight 100 battles without disaster".
  • Don_Homer likes this

#8 Losermaker

Losermaker

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold General

Posted 09 April 2018 - 02:28 AM

I believe attacking well is mostly about knowing your opponent, or atleast their style. If I am choosing to attack, I try to figure out within the first 10-15 moves wether they are a confident aggressive player or a defensive one that would rather play safe.

#9 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,449 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 09 April 2018 - 07:14 AM

Stratego is about Strategy, not war.

This is from Sun Tzu... "Victorious warriors win first then go to war. Defeated warriors go to war first, then seek to win. "

That's a very good quote ... you should add it in the off topic quote of the day
If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#10 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Miner

Posted 09 April 2018 - 07:37 AM

That's a very good quote ... you should add it in the off topic quote of the day

Sun Tzu remains eminently quotable: http://classics.mit....Tzu/artwar.html

Just a few nuggets:

18. All warfare is based on deception. 

19. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near. 

20. Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him. 

21. If he is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. 

22. If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant. 

23. If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them. 

24. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. 

25. These military devices, leading to victory, must not be divulged beforehand. 

26. Now the general who wins a battle makes many calculations in his temple ere the battle is fought. The general who loses a battle makes but few calculations beforehand. Thus do many calculations lead to victory, and few calculations to defeat: how much more no calculation at all! It is by attention to this point that I can foresee who is likely to win or lose. 

• Don_Homer and rgillis783 like this

#11 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Miner

Posted 09 April 2018 - 07:43 AM

Sun Tzu also knew about lane control, shufflers, good setups, and about not moving to many weak pieces:

8. With regard to narrow passes, if you can occupy them first, let them be strongly garrisoned and await the advent of the enemy. 

9. Should the army forestall you in occupying a pass, do not go after him if the pass is fully garrisoned, but only if it is weakly garrisoned. 

10. With regard to precipitous heights, if you are beforehand with your adversary, you should occupy the raised and sunny spots, and there wait for him to come up. 

11. If the enemy has occupied them before you, do not follow him, but retreat and try to entice him away. 

12. If you are situated at a great distance from the enemy, and the strength of the two armies is equal, it is not easy to provoke a battle, and fighting will be to your disadvantage. 

18. When the general is weak and without authority; when his orders are not clear and distinct; when there are no fixes duties assigned to officers and men, and the ranks are formed in a slovenly haphazard manner, the result is utter disorganization. 

19. When a general, unable to estimate the enemy's strength, allows an inferior force to engage a larger one, or hurls a weak detachment against a powerful one, and neglects to place picked soldiers in the front rank, the result must be rout. 

#12 KnightofPepsi

KnightofPepsi

Spy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Captain

Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:00 PM

Agree on the YouTube comment...do a search and you'll find some great content.

#13 maxroelofs

maxroelofs

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:16 AM

I think attacking is a very complex matter about which much can be said.

Let's start with pointing out that a successful attack that is not a blitz almost never goes via only one lane. You need 2 or three lanes at least to pull of a good attack. Now after you do some scouting, you try to get to a position which I like to refer to as ''domino attacking'', meaning that an attack on one side of the board helps you to determine your next attack on the other side of the board. I will explain this in some more detail:

Step 1: Find information

For this to work you really need to have some information, so this is not a strategy that will work from the start. This is a midgame-strategy, a position on the board that you want to enforce during your game. 

Step 2: Put pressure on the opponent

Now that you have figured out a major for example, try to sneak in some pieces, in the ideal situation you will be able to put a kolonel in front of that major with his major being stuck there. For this example let's say this is happening on the right side of the board. This will likely happen versus lower players, but will be hard to accomplish versus higher players. Now that you have a kolonel in front of a major you have a very strong weapon. The major is likely to be covered by either your opponents marshal, or the opponents general. In case it isn't, you can take it later on with the major, for free. Now the proces of getting more information is starting, you can attack on the other side of the board with a major and say that you figure our your opponents general, what happens next?

Step 3: Figure out your domino attacking sequence 

You just lost a major to your opponents general on the left side of the board, on the right side you still have a kolonel in front of the opponents major, now you can manoevre your general to the middle in case he has some moved pieces there (best case scenario: a kolonel), you can attack with your kolonel on the right side to take out his major, and either get the major for free, or get killed by the opponents marshal (the general was exposed on the left). This brings you to the next step of the sequence: taking out the pieces in the middle, best case scenario a kolonel.

Now if you know for sure that you can find a kolonel in the middle, this is a 100% advantage situation, but there is a big grey area to it as well. Very often you will have to combine this domino attacking with an estimation of the likelihood of the pieces being exactly in the right spot for your opponent to save himself from everything.

Last thing I want to say about this for now is that this strategy might not always get you an advantage in pieces straight away. You did lose a major and a kolonel in the example, and you did take back a major and a (let's say it was a kolonel in the middle) kolonel. So that is equal right? Of course this is wrong, where your opponent has figured out your general, you have figured out your opponents general + marshal, a huge advantage.

This is just the very basis of domino attacking, as mentioned before there is a huge grey area with this many many more factors come into play.

Max

• Don_Homer, Losermaker, Napoleon 1er and 6 others like this
To watch stratego videos: https://www.youtube....HOHXWONQMsVcOLA

#14 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,449 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:22 AM

... finally somebody who understands what this forum is about ...
  • Major Nelson likes this
If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#15 Losermaker

Losermaker

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold General

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:23 AM

Very well explained max, that stuff is hard to put into words and you have done a great job there!

• KissMyCookie likes this

#16 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Captain

• Moderators
  • 880 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:42 AM

I agree with Losermaker that it's all about knowing your opponent. Personally, when I play against someone for the first time I have a relatively attacking style, making much use of colonels and majors. One could say that this is the style that comes to me naturally. But if I've played several times against a specific player I try to change my approach in order not to be predictable, eg I may choose to attack with the general/marshal, or I can try a completely different, more defensive approach, with many low-value pieces in the beginning and bluffs. This game is a constant competition of who can surprise the opponent better, so try new things.

• Don_Homer and rgillis783 like this

Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.

#17 Tilor

Tilor

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:50 PM

Great topic! Thanks for posting. I am not a very good attacker, but I have found that I despise just playing defense. The attack described above by Max is the way I usually attack, sometimes with a good result, sometimes not. 

Top Rating reached 6/8/18 - 716 Platinum Spy 

Current Rating as of 6/10/18 -687 Gold Marshal

#18 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 655 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:10 PM

"If you know the enemy and know yourself you do not have to fear the result of a hundred battles."

That is contributed to Sun Tzu.

Notice that Major Nelson is saying something similar applied to Stratego:

"I agree with Losermaker that it's all about knowing your opponent"

In this regards Stratego is like poker, you can play the cards or you can play the opponent.

In my library is a copy of the Art of War. Some of the principles can be directly translated into Stratego, others need deep understanding of language and the game.

#19 Nortrom

Nortrom

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,671 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:20 PM

6 years ago I started writing some documents about various topics. I haven't read them again, just screenshotted the parts I found worthwhile based on the name of the chapters. There is more, but this is enough for now.

Unlike some other documents floating around here, this is actually written by a 4 times live WC without fabricated stories. The background may, especially on the screenshots, slightly annoying. Enjoy.

NFGXcbf.png
wVKpvWg.png
aF2BHzy.png
QlouA3d.png
nrlil4P.png
X3QtoFr.png
5BtYJ6Y.png

• Moghedien, texaspete09 and TemplateRex like this
"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

#20 Nortrom

Nortrom

Colonel