Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 08 April 2018 - 12:52 PM

"Hey honey I'm going to go to Las Vegas for 4 days to play stratego."

No matter how cheap the hotel is, I'm guessing that would cost me dearly.  :)

lol, vegas isn't for everybody. however, it is a great place for a family vacation! water parks, hiking. camping, and everything you could think of. i already said the reason it would be a great place is because the stratego would become the secondary part of your vacation! that is what would make it so much more fun for people to go. also, if we started a world series of stratego once a year in vegas, not only would the popularity of the game grow. we could have tournaments with anyone beyond a noob having pot odds because of the gambling factor and the location. there is 1000's of degenerate gamblers in las vegas and these people would start getting into the tournaments, the 2 key words: entry fee. i seen it, i live in las vegas. they hear those words and reach for their wallets. i remember when i first played on line. i said to myself that i was good at this game when i was a kid so i thought i'd be good competition. WRONG! the players on metaforge took turns humping me until i was clueless. that is what you will get in vegas! people thinking they have a chance to win because they remember being good at the game when they were a kid. think of all the tourist saying " hey honey look, they have a stratego tournament here, i got to get in that, i used to kick ♥♥♥ when i was a kid. can you really imagine a better place to have a tournament over las vegas?

Edited by Guldin, 08 April 2018 - 01:40 PM.

#22 Guldin

Guldin

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 12 April 2018 - 12:52 PM

i have found the ultimate place for an annual stratego convention and tournament, the venetian in las vegas. it is the best place for this sort of convention and the best place for a tournament. i also have connections there that would make this the ideal place for us to do this and popularize the event. like i already said, they have a convention in las vegas for star trek. how could they be more worthy than us? i do not have any doubt that a move like this would take the game of stratego in an entirely new direction because in my opinion it is a better game than chess. you can't really bluff in chess. people love games that you can bluff in, especially in vegas. look how popular the game of poker has become! i think this game has more merit than we are giving it credit for! it is like a game of chess with a twist of poker in it. the 2 biggest tournaments in las vegas! 

Edited by Guldin, 12 April 2018 - 12:53 PM.

#23 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 April 2018 - 03:42 PM

I am sure Star Trek has a big fan base :)

The NASF is looking through which avenue would be the best way to go for a live tournament. If you want to PM me what you mean by your connections that it would make it the ideal place for us, Please do. :)
Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#24 astros

astros

Stratego TM

• NASF Committee
  • 926 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 12 April 2018 - 04:19 PM

Probably should focus on successfully running an online tournament of more than 5 people first.

Cheesecake

#25 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 April 2018 - 04:33 PM

Probably should focus on successfully running an online tournament of more than 5 people first.

Feel free to sign up.

#26 astros

astros

Stratego TM

• NASF Committee
  • 926 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 12 April 2018 - 04:37 PM

Feel free to sign up to make it 6.

I am not interested.

I am not trying to be mean either. However, to run a live tournament in Vegas or another city you would need: participants to spend hundreds on airfare, hotels and food, to buy several Stratego sets and to rent out a venue. Furthermore, you guys have zero experience running a live tournament. Therefore, none of this seems feasible.

Cheesecake

#27 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Major

• Honorary members
  • 1,215 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 April 2018 - 04:38 PM

Generally for live tournaments you need Swiss Perfect as well, though if the participants are very few each player could simply play against all other participants.

#28 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 April 2018 - 04:44 PM

I am not interested.

I am not trying to be mean either. However, to run a live tournament in Vegas or another city you would need: participants to spend hundreds on airfare, hotels and food, to buy several Stratego sets and to rent out a venue. Furthermore, you guys have zero experience running a live tournament. Therefore, none of this seems feasible.

Sure. This is a while off there is more that needs to be done then you mentioned and we surprisingly have been working on it :) I thought you where pro getting the activity up in North America. I would rather try helping the stratego effort then sit around saying it is not feasible. We have discussed and work on at leangth some of the things you mentioned and there are other projects we are working on as well. Keep in mind to begin with there aren't many active people on the forum next that many active people who partake in tournaments next that many active people who reside in North America. This is something I hope to help fix. I'm sorry for thinking it is feasible :)

#29 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 713 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 12 April 2018 - 04:57 PM

Some people have a more open attitude towards taking risk and making things work, these are the kind of people you need to start up activities.

If you read the discussion that was had here on the site before WCO1 you can see the same sort of discussion.

Same when Ukraine or Greece, not many people believed it would work untill some people put their energy behind it, local and international.

It would be nice if North America would be next with some activity.

Due to the distances and some cultural differences with Europe it will not come easy, but it is a good cause to put work on.

At least the USA has Stratego on the market since the 1950s or 1960s, helping generations to know the game, same start situation as The Netherlands were everyone from certain age groups grew up with the game.

• rgillis783 and Fks like this

#30 astros

astros

Stratego TM

• NASF Committee
  • 926 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:07 PM

Sure. This is a while off there is more that needs to be done then you mentioned and we surprisingly have been working on it :) I thought you where pro getting the activity up in North America. I would rather try helping the stratego effort then sit around saying it is not feasible. We have discussed and work on at leangth some of the things you mentioned and there are other projects we are working on as well. Keep in mind to begin with there aren't many active people on the forum next that many active people who partake in tournaments next that many active people who reside in North America. This is something I hope to help fix. I'm sorry for thinking it is feasible :)

Some people have a more open attitude towards taking risk and making things work, these are the kind of people you need to start up activities.

If you read the discussion that was had here on the site before WCO1 you can see the same sort of discussion.

Same when Ukraine or Greece, not many people believed it would work untill some people put their energy behind it, local and international.

It would be nice if North America would be next with some activity.

Due to the distances and some cultural differences with Europe it will not come easy, but it is a good cause to put work on.

At least the USA has Stratego on the market since the 1950s or 1960s, helping generations to know the game, same start situation as The Netherlands were everyone from certain age groups grew up with the game.

There is also a difference between being ambitious and setting unrealistic goals.

Cheesecake

#31 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 713 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:21 PM

@Astros: yes you are right. It takes skill to get something going and nothing happens over 1 night.

But you need to have some grand vision where you want to be in 1,2 or 3 years.

Some people are better at Vision. Others excell at implementation. You need both of those plus some marketint/promotion focused people to make everything work.

For everyone interested in the dynamics of how to make something work: here is the link to the Discussion for a World Championship Online

What this case study shows is that some people attack an idea on the tiny implementation details. They don't approve the big strategy first (or simply cannot see a big picture) and then go into details. They pick one tiny detail and tell you it will fail. Or worse: they use fallacies to protect their concept of the known world.

Notice that some of the players in that thread changed their vision after they saw how WCO1 was implemented.

These people are excellent people to work with, when you want to run the 3rd, 4th or 5th edition of the tournament in any random city, but you don't want them in the startup phase telling you that you are wrong and things are not going to work. Listen to their feedback, consider it for implementation but don't let them mess up your big strategy.

For North America I had a plan already 5-7 years ago but there were not enough local players concentrated in one region (eg East Coast) and not enough backers in Europe of the plan. In that time there were a number of other specific conditions in place though that made me think the plan could work.

#32 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:25 PM

There is also a difference between being ambitious and setting unrealistic goals.

I get the idea you think there has to be 50 people to partake in the live tournament for it to be a success. Getting just 10 people to have a great time and experience is a success and hopefully our next tournament people will travel out for it. It will take time but I am young and am willing to put the effort in.
  • Master Mind likes this

#33 scottrussia

scottrussia

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:06 PM

FKS,

A couple of thoughts.

1. Do you have a list of places where NASF members reside or are willing to travel to for a tournament/meeting.  Start by having a conference call with all those that express an interest.  If folks won't commit 20 minutes to a monthly call they aren't going to suddenly commit a weekend.

2. Consider asking the Stratego World group if they would agree to have the championship hosted in North America one year (that might be an excellent way to find out how many North Americans would really show up - and you have the infrastructure in place to help host the tournament and provide many players).

3. Hosting a tournament is more than just the space & games.   Some sort of group activity one night - if in US perhaps a minor league baseball game.  The organizing group will also have to provide some logistical support to make it all successful - that often means showing up early and leaving a day late (especially true if you pulled off #2).  It also makes the tournament more appealing to those more casual players and those with families.

4. I don't want you to take this the wrong way - the NASF needs to scrap all this 800 ELO, NASF ELO nonsense.  Guess who can afford to travel to a tournament?  Yes, young college guys can roadtrip.  And who else?  A bunch of guys in their 30's, 40's, and 50's and 60's who spend not one iota of time thinking about ELO.  They think about their jobs, businesses, wives, kids, responsibilities and occasionally sit down in front of the computer to enjoy a game of stratego or two.  You don't get those folks by excluding them.

5. See if there is already some sort of gathering for strategy board games in the US/Canada?  Risk and other games have followers - I have no idea if something exists but again it might give you a foundation to build upon.

6. Money.  Yes, Vision is great.  Money is necessary.  Its possible to run a nice event on a shoestring budget - but you will still need one.  And I'm not talking - oh, I think a room will cost x and games y and if we get 30 people each will pay z.  How are you going to attract players?  You need to lay out what a fairly detailed budget will look like and determine how to go about raising the funds.  No funds, no tournament.

Personally, I think that piggybacking on something that exists is the best way to get started.  That's not to say that I'd discourage 10 really gung-ho folks from getting together to have a tournament.  But by adding to something that exists you lessen the risk, you add expertise to the group (and resources), and make it more likely people will commit the time and funds to attending.  

Good Luck.

• Morx and Fks like this

​Spartan Warriors

KING of the Battlefield!!!!!!

#34 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:10 PM

FKS,

A couple of thoughts.

1. Do you have a list of places where NASF members reside or are willing to travel to for a tournament/meeting.  Start by having a conference call with all those that express an interest.  If folks won't commit 20 minutes to a monthly call they aren't going to suddenly commit a weekend.

2. Consider asking the Stratego World group if they would agree to have the championship hosted in North America one year (that might be an excellent way to find out how many North Americans would really show up - and you have the infrastructure in place to help host the tournament and provide many players).

3. Hosting a tournament is more than just the space & games.   Some sort of group activity one night - if in US perhaps a minor league baseball game.  The organizing group will also have to provide some logistical support to make it all successful - that often means showing up early and leaving a day late (especially true if you pulled off #2).  It also makes the tournament more appealing to those more casual players and those with families.

4. I don't want you to take this the wrong way - the NASF needs to scrap all this 800 ELO, NASF ELO nonsense.  Guess who can afford to travel to a tournament?  Yes, young college guys can roadtrip.  And who else?  A bunch of guys in their 30's, 40's, and 50's and 60's who spend not one iota of time thinking about ELO.  They think about their jobs, businesses, wives, kids, responsibilities and occasionally sit down in front of the computer to enjoy a game of stratego or two.  You don't get those folks by excluding them.

5. See if there is already some sort of gathering for strategy board games in the US/Canada?  Risk and other games have followers - I have no idea if something exists but again it might give you a foundation to build upon.

6. Money.  Yes, Vision is great.  Money is necessary.  Its possible to run a nice event on a shoestring budget - but you will still need one.  And I'm not talking - oh, I think a room will cost x and games y and if we get 30 people each will pay z.  How are you going to attract players?  You need to lay out what a fairly detailed budget will look like and determine how to go about raising the funds.  No funds, no tournament.

Personally, I think that piggybacking on something that exists is the best way to get started.  That's not to say that I'd discourage 10 really gung-ho folks from getting together to have a tournament.  But by adding to something that exists you lessen the risk, you add expertise to the group (and resources), and make it more likely people will commit the time and funds to attending.  

Good Luck.

Thank you scott for your ideas/tips. We have been working on this for a few weeks and we are dealing with these things u mentioned. We appreciate it :)

• Don_Homer likes this

#35 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Major

• Honorary members
  • 1,215 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:14 PM

Scott, this requirement about having a max elo above 800 was only for the qualifiers for Team USA at stratego (I'm not saying I'm in favour of it; after all it's none of my business, I'm not a member of the NASF committee). If a live tournament is organised in the States I think we can take it for granted that anyone can take part no matter what their elo at stratego.com is. After all, rating for online stratego is completely irrelevant to live.

#36 Guldin

Guldin

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:51 PM

you guys just don't get it. start a tourney in vegas and people will join because of 2 key words "entry fee". these people will gamble on anything! then the popularity would begin and the tournament would get bigger every year! there is no doubt!  

Edited by Guldin, 12 April 2018 - 06:53 PM.

#37 Master Mind

Master Mind

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,334 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:13 PM

you guys just don't get it. start a tourney in vegas and people will join because of 2 key words "entry fee". these people will gamble on anything! then the popularity would begin and the tournament would get bigger every year! there is no doubt!  

We shouldn't aim to get 20 gamblers inside, who forget about the whole event 2 minutes after they're gone. 

#38 scottrussia

scottrussia

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze General

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:33 PM

Scott, this requirement about having a max elo above 800 was only for the qualifiers for Team USA at stratego (I'm not saying I'm in favour of it; after all it's none of my business, I'm not a member of the NASF committee). If a live tournament is organised in the States I think we can take it for granted that anyone can take part no matter what their elo at stratego.com is. After all, rating for online stratego is completely irrelevant to live.

Hi Major Nelson,

In order to host a successful tournament (regularly).  You need a group of involved people.  What better way to build involvement than to open up the tournament to represent your country to all.  If every year you know that those that are active are eligible to participate in the tournament, then your likely to get much more participation through the year.

And yes, there will be a year where Spartan Warriors or someone like us manages to qualify for the team.  So what?  Is it better to have 40-50 active members, a tournament or two during the year, and 1 year out of 5 you have a 300 ELO player on the team.  Or is it better to have 7 active members, no tournaments (or tournaments with 7 participants), and select your 875 ELO members?

I say not only is it better to have the 40-50 active members, but its likely you'll end up with MORE HIGHLY RATED PLAYERS - and a better long term chance of WINNING!  

And why would we win you ask??????????....................................................................

BECAUSE SPARTAN WARRIORS ARE ON THE MARCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Don_Homer and rgillis783 like this

​Spartan Warriors

KING of the Battlefield!!!!!!

#39 Guldin

Guldin

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:22 PM

I am not interested.

I am not interested.

you're spot on astros. that is the concept. it's all about having the tournament built inside of a real vacation. you must have no idea that las vegas is the #1 vacation spot in the world if i were to guess. i came to las vegas on a vacation in 2001 and never left. i was 36 years old, single, and never considered marriage. one day i was running to a sports book to make a bet and seen a woman that i thought was the most beautiful girl i ever seen in my life. my first thought was that is the woman i am going to marry. four years later she was my wife. i come to find that i wouldn't want to live anywhere else. vegas is great! i can also absolutely guarantee that making a move to have a tournament in las vegas every year would not only be a piece of cake, it would popularize the game of stratego and be something everyone could look forward to attending whatever year(s) possible. this should probably be more of a destiny than an idea! I know if i was lightwing or hielco i would have been trying to make this possible for over a decade! if you go look at the history of the world series of poker, how can you explain to us that this would not be good for the future of stratego? just because some broke d**ks couldn't show up, what would that have to do with the people who are able to enjoy the finer things in life. i'm just an average guy that met and married a famous movie star from china that i met in las vegas! do you think that was not possible? if so, the proof is below. so for now on this thread is for opportunistic people only because there is no room for negativity, thank you.  

Tony Guldin (Richard), 53 - Williamstown, NJ | …

Tony Guldin is 53 years old and was born on 00/00/1965. Currently, he ... Other family members and associates include Andrea Guldin, Youchun Gong, Anthony Guldin .

Youchun Gong - IMDb

Youchun Gong, Actress: Si wang yu mou. Youchun Gong is an actress, known for Si wang yu mou (1994), Zhong Guo du wang (1993) and Wu hu chuang Tianqiao (1990)

MV5BNDc4NmQ1MWYtOTJiZS00Zjc2LTgxZWQtNmZh

the beautiful girl on the left is who i met and married in las vegas!

if you need to see a recent picture to convince you, she has gotten a bit older, but still so beautiful! 

https://imgur.com/a/ZSYwE

Edited by Guldin, 15 April 2018 - 06:51 PM.

#40 astros

astros

Stratego TM

• NASF Committee
  • 926 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:39 PM

Nice humble brag and paragraph structure mate.

Cheesecake

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users