#21 astros

astros

Stratego TM

• WC Online Team
  • 812 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:27 PM

I'd also rather wait 6 minutes versus a troll during the setup instead of playing a clown who takes 15 seconds every turn over an entire hour.
I'm in love with Stacy's mom.

#22 Fks

Fks

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:42 PM

Plenty of games get played on the other site, when people are online, it would not be different here. Personally, I do not want to play ranked games against people below a certain rank. It should be my prerogative to opt out of those games. If I leave every game, then I am going to never play and will probably get bored and end up playing whoever.

People don't care about there rank/rating on the other site so this doesn't really affect the games played. This will make a legit player struggle to find better opppnents and harder to push up there rating You also won't rather people waiting 15 seconds per move less people are likely to take 15 seconds as it hurts them as well. You alone get hurt by someone trolling u and just leaving after 6 minutes. You could say you don't have to wait on the stratego page but I mean when it starts to take 40 minutes to play 1 match that can end in 5 minutes it will get annoying to the point u will stop playing.

Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#23 astros

astros

Stratego TM

• WC Online Team
  • 812 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 02 April 2018 - 06:02 PM

People don't care about there rank/rating on the other site so this doesn't really affect the games played. This will make a legit player struggle to find better opppnents and harder to push up there rating You also won't rather people waiting 15 seconds per move less people are likely to take 15 seconds as it hurts them as well. You alone get hurt by someone trolling u and just leaving after 6 minutes. You could say you don't have to wait on the stratego page but I mean when it starts to take 40 minutes to play 1 match that can end in 5 minutes it will get annoying to the point u will stop playing.

Hypothetically, the game would end when you press ready, so you could not troll someone in this manner.
  • Unladen Swallow likes this

#24 tobermoryx

tobermoryx

Major

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 03 April 2018 - 03:21 AM

The multi account problem is that people have multiple accounts.

Including everyone on this thread except Roeczak.

#25 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• Moderators
  • 2,211 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:54 AM

Tober, the actual problem is that multi-accounting isn't taken care of. This is the root of the issue, although, one could argue that if no multi-accounts would be there, there wouldn't be an issue to take care of ;).

Unfortunately hunting multi-accounts, by MT, would take too much time and effort and would be futile, no matter how hard you would try new ones would always keep popping up.

Well, actually, there is one thing MT could do about it, but it would turn into a witch hunt and I feel disallowing multi-accounts also has some severe downsides (e.g. in case of tournament bugs, but this could be solved by only allowing, say, 2 or maybe 3 accounts following the pattern of [username]+[account number].. so Nortrom-2 , Nortrom-3 

If the community / MT really wanted to do something about multi-accounts, you could enforce the "no multiple accounts" allowed. From now on everyone would have one month to have his/her multi-accounts removed and if caught using, per offense, would be blocked game side for 3 weeks. Downside: People playing under the same IP..

So, ultimately, I don't think, no matter how hard you try, this issue can ever be resolved to everyone's satisfaction and that multi-accounts are here to stay. The lack of automated tools also are being felt here.

• dutchkillers, tobermoryx and Moghedien like this
"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

#26 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,525 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:38 AM

If there were no multiple account issue, I would prefer the computer matching that we currently have.  But, really, the only thing that seems to have a semblance of a chance to work against multiple accounts is malcom.jansen's "Decline to Play" button from his first post.  If everyone could use this during setup phase, then everyone would be happier with a sense of control about things they don't currently have.  Multiple accounts could count on not playing as much and would kind of just fade away.  

The only thing I would suggest is a daily limit of, say, 5 declines.  After that, you have to play whomever the computer gives you.

Many people over the years have mentioned a Decline to Play button.  Years ago, Sohal did.  Kentinator did.  I don't know if it's doable, but we could certainly ask to find out.  Though it's a long shot, I'll ask this and see what comes of it and get back to everyone.

• Fairway and MTinsley like this

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#27 tobermoryx

tobermoryx

Major

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:59 AM

It is a very bad idea.

#28 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:59 PM

How is it a bad idea? On gravon you can choose your own opponents. The rating is still accurate.

I used to play against a few drunken idiots in College and University. I just recently discovered this game online, playing my first matches against real-world opponents. After 100 games, I'm now one of the top 10 players in the world. 

#29 Fairway

Fairway

General

• Junior Tournament Management
  • 2,824 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 04 April 2018 - 03:17 PM

The only thing I would suggest is a daily limit of, say, 5 declines.  After that, you have to play whomever the computer gives you.

Many people over the years have mentioned a Decline to Play button.  Years ago, Sohal did.  Kentinator did.  I don't know if it's doable, but we could certainly ask to find out.  Though it's a long shot, I'll ask this and see what comes of it and get back to everyone.

This is a very interesting idea, and I like it. I would say 3, however. I'm not in the platinum ranks and haven't encountered too many alias accounts, but I don't think that say, in a max of 15-20 games (which is a lot for one day), you would encounter 5 alias/scouting accounts?

WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series!  :D

#30 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Captain

• Members
  • 826 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:08 PM

This is a very interesting idea, and I like it. I would say 3, however. I'm not in the platinum ranks and haven't encountered too many alias accounts, but I don't think that say, in a max of 15-20 games (which is a lot for one day), you would encounter 5 alias/scouting accounts?

you certainly can. often the same player switching accounts.

I used to play against a few drunken idiots in College and University. I just recently discovered this game online, playing my first matches against real-world opponents. After 100 games, I'm now one of the top 10 players in the world. 

#31 astros

astros

Stratego TM

• WC Online Team
  • 812 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:11 PM

Call me an elitist, but I'd also like to limit the number of ranked games I play against non-platinum players.
  • texaspete09 and Unladen Swallow like this

#32 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Captain

• Members
  • 826 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:13 PM

me too. its often a waste of time guessing where the silver colonel will lotto, when you only get 1 pt for winning

• texaspete09 likes this

#33 roeczak

roeczak

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 924 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:28 PM

On average , despite being on the good side of 800, i get about 3 non plat to 1 plat.

I think we could add a rating range like in chess.

Eg right now i am 839
I could choose
439-1239
589-1089
739-939
Etc.

Just off the top of my head what do you think
  • Fks likes this
If you enjoy stratego you might want to subscribe to Roeczak. Member of Stratego Captains Club. Actively trying to promote the game and would like to help in any activity towards that goal. Highest Rating : 898 (Platinum Marshal)

#34 Fks

Fks

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:43 PM

On average , despite being on the good side of 800, i get about 3 non plat to 1 plat.
I think we could add a rating range like in chess.
Eg right now i am 839
I could choose
439-1239
589-1089
739-939
Etc.
Just off the top of my head what do you think

I like this. I have used this most of my life in chess :)

#35 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,525 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 04 April 2018 - 11:50 PM

Call me an elitist, but I'd also like to limit the number of ranked games I play against non-platinum players.

You ask for too much!  :)

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#36 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:44 AM

How is it a bad idea? On gravon you can choose your own opponents. The rating is still accurate.

Maybe rating is accurate but less skilled people never really find an opponent that accepts playing them so gravon is not attractive for them. This is why this other website is not successful.
Rationale is following: if you force players to play any opponent that is online at same time then you get much more games played than if you allow players to refuse games. In other words if you would refuse 50% of your game matching and if all players would do the same then the only result is that there would be 50% less games played and the average waiting time to get an acceptable match is doubled. This makes the website less attractive.

Edited by Napoleon 1er, 05 April 2018 - 06:45 AM.

• TheOptician, tobermoryx, Fairway and 3 others like this
If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#37 astros

astros

Stratego TM

• WC Online Team
  • 812 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 05 April 2018 - 02:31 PM

Maybe rating is accurate but less skilled people never really find an opponent that accepts playing them so gravon is not attractive for them. This is why this other website is not successful.
Rationale is following: if you force players to play any opponent that is online at same time then you get much more games played than if you allow players to refuse games. In other words if you would refuse 50% of your game matching and if all players would do the same then the only result is that there would be 50% less games played and the average waiting time to get an acceptable match is doubled. This makes the website less attractive.

There are plenty of other differences between the websites: Gravon has a clunky UI, the registration process for ranked games takes time, and the website is in German. There are also plenty of players there who would be gold or silver on this site, and they have plenty of games played. You cannot definitively say that the ability to pick opponents is why that site is less successful.

Presumably if I decline a match, then I am going to start searching for a new one immediately after. On average it takes me less than 2 minutes to get paired and less than 5 minutes 95 percent of the time. If I had the choice, I would agree to play 80 percent of my opponents. Therefore, it will only take at most 15 more minutes than it does now for me to play 10 games. Even if I decline 50 percent of my opponents, then it is not going to take me more than 30 additional minutes to find 10 opponents. Maybe I play one less game in a session because I am waiting to find an opponent, but this is no where close to a 50 percent reduction.

I would likely play more ranked games if I could decline opponents because it is difficult to find a competitive opponent after GMT 21. Frankly, I understand why someone who takes ridiculously long turns wouldn't like this proposal.

Edited by malcom.jansen, 05 April 2018 - 02:47 PM.

#38 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 05 April 2018 - 03:31 PM

Look Malcom,

I believe it is more than factual that stratego.com is much more successful than gravon. Why is that? Simply because players there have all these options to accept an opponent or not, to play ranked or not, viewable or not, with clock 30, 40 or 50 minutes or without clock etc... all these options are in fact all possibilities given to a player to refuse a game. This is non sense. For example when i go there for a ranked game i find one player waiting in a room for a game with 30 minutes clock and another player waiting in another room for a 50 minutes game. I prefer always no clock games ... so i can open a 3rd game in a 3rd room but then i'm refusing the 2 others ... so my waiting time till somebody comes and approves my game is extremely long. As a consequence after 2 minutes i switch to stratego.com where i get a match very fast.
If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#39 Fks

Fks

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 05 April 2018 - 03:36 PM

The only refusing that I have seen is if a player just doesn't like your style they won't play you. I stay away from the known marsh blitzers and the lottoers. Not for a time issue really. Maybe someone won't play u if you don't have ranked games. The best of both worlds is to have both which luckily for you and I we do :)

#40 astros

astros

Stratego TM

• WC Online Team
  • 812 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:58 PM

Look Malcom,
I believe it is more than factual that stratego.com is much more successful than gravon. Why is that? Simply because players there have all these options to accept an opponent or not, to play ranked or not, viewable or not, with clock 30, 40 or 50 minutes or without clock etc... all these options are in fact all possibilities given to a player to refuse a game. This is non sense. For example when i go there for a ranked game i find one player waiting in a room for a game with 30 minutes clock and another player waiting in another room for a 50 minutes game. I prefer always no clock games ... so i can open a 3rd game in a 3rd room but then i'm refusing the 2 others ... so my waiting time till somebody comes and approves my game is extremely long. As a consequence after 2 minutes i switch to stratego.com where i get a match very fast.

This site is more sucessful because Jumbo, the company that owns the copyright to Stratego, runs it. They also actively promote a Stratego app in the app store. Additionally, if you google "stratego" or play "stratego" this website pops up on the first page, Gravon is not on the first three pages.

While there may be minimal endogenity between choosing your opponent and the size of the player base that is not the responsible for the difference between this site and Gravon. Thee scope and marketing of the two sites is vastly different, so your comparison is not valid.

Edited by malcom.jansen, 05 April 2018 - 07:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users