#21 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,441 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 30 March 2018 - 05:17 AM

This WC will be my fifth one . I am not going to lose the opportunity to live the spectacular experience to join such event.

Cu all in Netherlands this August  :)

• Yellowhat and Fks like this

#22 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 30 March 2018 - 07:42 AM

We are still trying to negotiate a players hotel, but NH Naarden is close by, NH Jan Tabak as well or a bit further but not much: Bastion Hotel Bussum.

We will most likely run some hotel pickup service to move people around as there are not many rooms inside the Vesting, but there are plenty and with better prices than most ones in Amsterdam nearby at car distance.

I also saw a low cost hostel still in Amsterdam, with public transport cost and the train this was still cheaper than most hotels. Just longer travel time in the morning and back.

Some people might consider camping, there is a camping called The French Camp nearby. Their logo fits Stratego pretty well, a French soldier around 1800.

I will add more links and more hotel suggestions later.

Is Naarden station at walking distance from where the wc will be?
If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#23 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,441 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 30 March 2018 - 08:13 AM

The station and NH Naarden hotel are both same distance away from the location of WC. This is 2,5 km (about 30 min on foot)

#24 roeczak

roeczak

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 924 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 30 March 2018 - 08:56 AM

30 min on foot? Ok..

Good luck to all the greek players ! Hope to see MN join the greek NT this year!
  • ☆OVERLORD☆ and Major Nelson like this
If you enjoy stratego you might want to subscribe to Roeczak. Member of Stratego Captains Club. Actively trying to promote the game and would like to help in any activity towards that goal. Highest Rating : 898 (Platinum Marshal)

#25 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 686 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 30 March 2018 - 08:56 AM

As I said we will most likely run some transport services for instance between the station and the bus stop from Amsterdam or the main hotels if needed. There is a regular bus service to Naarden-Vesting from the station but it only runs once per hour.

A lot of Dutch and Belgian and German players will come by car, we will help the other ones that are not. I proposed to rent a small van for this purpose, but we might just use our own cars.

For car parking there is free parking year round very near the location.

Just let us know your transport needs in a PM. 2km radius is nothing with a few cars and a phone pickup service.

Notice that all the phones in the EU have local rates when in The Netherlands (we are part of the EU), so Greek players can dial at local cost to reach any of the Dutch hosts.

• SEKERTZISS likes this

#26 SEKERTZISS

SEKERTZISS

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 30 March 2018 - 12:26 PM

I wait infos for hotels

will be notified on our page  Facebook strategohellas

#27 KARAISKAKIS

KARAISKAKIS

General

• WC Online Team
  • 2,441 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 30 March 2018 - 10:50 PM

dalee from Greece has been also confirmed

#28 Master Mind

Master Mind

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 31 March 2018 - 05:42 PM

I will be there :)

I'm really looking forward to meet all you guys, Dutch people are boring :D

Well, that's a joke of course.

• KARAISKAKIS, Losermaker, Yellowhat and 3 others like this

#29 Fairway

Fairway

General

• Junior Tournament Management
  • 2,824 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 31 March 2018 - 11:12 PM

Note that the fastest train connection from Amsterdam Central to station Naarden-Bussum is 26 minutes direct. Other trains take about 30 mins with 1 train change.

Are Dutch railways as bad as they are made out to be in the awards thread?  :rolleyes: 

WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series!  :D

#30 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• Moderators
  • 2,211 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 31 March 2018 - 11:32 PM

No, even worse.

"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

#31 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 31 March 2018 - 11:38 PM

No, even worse.

I beg to differ: on a 4-day a week 1 hour commute with one transit, I collected about 100 euro in late fees from Dutch Railroads (10 euro per one-way delay of 30+ minutes, or 20 euro for 60+ minutes delays). So on about 180 working days of 2 trips I got 9 serious incidences (2.5%). There are also about 5-10% (estimate) trips with 15+ minutes late, but I think I got at least 85% punctuality (getting home on the expected train). 

Edited by TemplateRex, 31 March 2018 - 11:38 PM.

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#32 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 686 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 01 April 2018 - 04:53 PM

It is official, the location of the 2018 World Championship Barrage Thursday 23 Aug 2018 is: Het Vestingmuseum (The Fortress Museum) in Naarden-Vesting.

From the website: "The Fortress museum lets you experience how the soldiers protected the surroundings of Amsterdam, from enemies from the far east. In the dark shelters of the Fortress, where the soldiers of earlier times had fought, slept and lived. The Fortress is a journey back in time, from the Golden Age to the first World War, from the Dutch war of independence to the time of Napoleon Bonaparte."

029dfde9-c5e8-448e-ab7c-92a5140168d2.jpg

naarden_doortje_thuis_036.jpg

• Nortrom, berre and Yellowhat like this

#33 Fks

Fks

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,224 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 03 April 2018 - 03:03 PM

You can put me down as confirmed :)
  • KARAISKAKIS, Don_Homer, Nortrom and 3 others like this

Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#34 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,630 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 04 April 2018 - 11:52 AM

Google maps tells me Naarden station is exactly 1000 km away from my house ... by car or not by car? Still thinking how to come ...

How are the highways between Venlo and Naarden?

Edited by Napoleon 1er, 04 April 2018 - 11:58 AM.

If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#35 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 686 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:01 PM

The highways are pretty good. Most of it is German highway, I did drive to your country years ago. It was a nice road trip. If you want to see a bit more of The Netherlands, the car is a very good option. Many of the key attractions I showed in the other thread are actually outside, but close to Amsterdam (parking is expensive in Amsterdam itself)

In the season the international trains can be expensive, but if you book way ahead that might also be decent. Bring a book or some other entertainment and you can enjoy the ride and see the scenery change.

For flights, there should be lots of options. Easyjet has direct flights to Basel and Geneva  to Amsterdam, I am sure there are lots of others too.

There are some cheap bus companies too accros Europe (flixbus or eurolines) but these are long journeys imo.

#36 Don_Homer

Don_Homer

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:05 PM

Google maps tells me Naarden station is exactly 1000 km away from my house ... by car or not by car? Still thinking how to come ...

How are the highways between Venlo and Naarden?

Dutch highways are the best of the world! But we have trafic jams (roughly 5:00-7:30gmt and 14:00-17:00gmt). And its 'only' about 200km from Venlo to Naarden.

Molto Bene, Thats a nica Donut !

#37 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,630 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 04 April 2018 - 09:21 PM

trafic jams between Venlo and Naarden between 14:00-17:00 gmt on august 23rd?

#38 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• Moderators
  • 2,211 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 04 April 2018 - 09:27 PM

He looked into his crystal ball for you.

"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

#39 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 686 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Major

Posted 08 April 2018 - 01:56 PM

As we did not find one hotel able to give a good prize for a special package, I recommend booking whatever you can get near the location. Some suggestions can be found earlier in this thread.

We will be running some transport so let us know if you need any help with this.

Morx

#40 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,630 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 08 April 2018 - 03:38 PM

so NH hotel in Naarden is good?

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users