Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 25 August 2018 - 09:18 AM

Stratego World Championship 2018 - Day 2 

Stay tuned for the second Day of WC in the below post of Greek topic - ΓΑΛΑΝΟΛΕΥΚΑ ΝΕΑ

http://forum.strateg...

Also news, photos and videos from WC in Patras Stratego Team facebook group

• OVERLORD and Fks like this

9S1Ra31.png Patras Stratego Team  member of Panhellenic Association

#182 roeczak

roeczak

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,100 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 25 August 2018 - 04:53 PM

Congrats to John Vandoros - OVERLORD for his 1st WC title !!!!!!
  • Dobby125, texaspete09, OVERLORD and 2 others like this

Roeczak <----- Stratego YT channel
Highest Rating : 966 (Platinum Marshal)
Greek Champion 2019 

#183 SEKERTZISS

SEKERTZISS

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 25 August 2018 - 05:17 PM

Congrats to John Vandoros Greece !!!!

Welcome to the Worlds enjoyed the view !!!

• OVERLORD and Fks like this

#184 The Achaean

The Achaean

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 25 August 2018 - 05:57 PM

I added the 10th round and the final ranking in my post below !!!!

http://forum.strateg...

Some pictures from Naarden by dalee (Georgios Trypanagnostopoulos)

The Greek team united (The most beautiful picture I believe)

From left to right: Georgios Trypanagnostopoulos (dalee), Nikos Kouvatsos (Major Nelson), John Vandoros (OVERLORD), George Petroulakis (gpet0), Gregory Adamakis (KARAISKAKIS), Dimitrios Bougatsas (don mitsos)

39959745_490907111384259_685024210718189

The top 3 of the Championship! Congratulations guys

40157806_425268531331102_186222977437872

• KARAISKAKIS, Luckypapa, Losermaker and 5 others like this

9S1Ra31.png Patras Stratego Team  member of Panhellenic Association

#185 UnladenSwallow

UnladenSwallow

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 25 August 2018 - 06:16 PM

Congratzzz n00blord_98 :D

Edited by UnladenSwallow, 25 August 2018 - 06:16 PM.

• OVERLORD likes this

#186 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 25 August 2018 - 06:44 PM

Looking at the top-5, yesterday and today were a very exciting Under-23 event, when will the seniors have their tournament?  ;)

• Napoleon 1er and Major Nelson like this

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#187 roeczak

roeczak

Major

• Tournament Manager
  • 1,100 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:07 PM

The oldest of those 5 is the champion , who is 20 :)

Exciting times for Stratego!
  • Major Nelson and TemplateRex like this

Roeczak <----- Stratego YT channel
Highest Rating : 966 (Platinum Marshal)
Greek Champion 2019 

#188 hondjekapitein

hondjekapitein

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:24 PM

congrats for John Vandoros from Greece!

Junior World champion 2018 :)

#189 Yellowhat

Yellowhat

Lieutenant

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:25 PM

Don't forget that hondjekapitein is also world champion!

• hondjekapitein, Major Nelson and TemplateRex like this
Yellowhat is the literal translation of my surname.

#190 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Captain

• Members
  • 973 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:30 PM

Looking forward to after-battle reports, anecdotes, exciting board positions, blunders, bluffs and all that. And the differences between live and online playing, for the people who made their live debuts!

• Dobby125, texaspete09, The Achaean and 1 other like this

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#191 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:44 PM

Very interesting statistics is that all top 7 players are online players and 18 out 23 first are also online players. This is 78%.
  • Dobby125, texaspete09, rgillis783 and 1 other like this
If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#192 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:48 PM

Congratulations hondjecapitain junior world champion.
  • Moghedien, texaspete09, OVERLORD and 1 other like this
Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#193 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:56 PM

Anecdote:
Arriving from Schipol in the hotel, made checkin and then went to dinner. First thing we saw is 2 guys playing stratego in the lobby. So sure there for the WC we went to them and i said "Hello i'm Napoleon" ... then the moved up their heads and said " ...what ... you are Napoleon?" ... just with the tone of the guy who thinks who is this crazy guy ... psychiatric hospital is not here ...
... finally i understood these were no online players and they don't know about nick names... just made a great entry in thi WC. Keep laughing!
  • Dobby125, Moghedien, OVERLORD and 3 others like this
If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#194 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Captain

• Members
  • 973 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 25 August 2018 - 08:35 PM

Anecdote:
Arriving from Schipol in the hotel, made checkin and then went to dinner. First thing we saw is 2 guys playing stratego in the lobby. So sure there for the WC we went to them and i said "Hello i'm Napoleon" ... then the moved up their heads and said " ...what ... you are Napoleon?" ... just with the tone of the guy who thinks who is this crazy guy ... psychiatric hospital is not here ...
... finally i understood these were no online players and they don't know about nick names... just made a great entry in thi WC. Keep laughing!

There is in fact a psychiatric hospital very nearby: https://www.ggzcentr...tie/mauritzhof/ :) 

#195 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,297 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 25 August 2018 - 09:09 PM

Anecdote:

Gee, Daniel...I wish you had video taped this event... :lol:

Perfect.  :mellow:

#196 josephwhite

josephwhite

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 25 August 2018 - 10:10 PM

Well done John!

Do these results indicate that the level of Stratego skill is increasing, especially at the top level? The highest a previous winner obtained was 7th, and most of the other previous winners were far below that?

It seems that the results are positive for the future of the game, with all these young people outperforming the rest.

• texaspete09 and OVERLORD like this

#197 Losermaker

Losermaker

Major

• Moderators
  • 1,088 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 25 August 2018 - 10:31 PM

Congrats John and hondejekapitein, that's a massive achievement! big congrats also to the van Geffen's, I'm sure they are bound to obtain their own WC titles one day :)

• OVERLORD and hondjekapitein like this

#198 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 25 August 2018 - 11:11 PM

I had an amazing first 5 rounds beating players like Don mitsos, Gpet0. George Franka (very strong dutch player) And a uk player Anthony only having one loss to sam van geffen (hello124).

In the game I loss vs Sam van geffen I forgot a colonel I had spotted earlier which later I thought was the piece he pushed up against my unknown gen which I took and end up being marshal. Then I had knocked over one of my own colonels so he gets info for free and was a very quick win for him :)

2nd day round 6 I play Ricardo a top 10 player in the world from the Netherlands where I had a decent start vs and even or so game through the middle game untill he started shiffeling for the most part and I completely forgot a known colonel major marshal and everything else he had in that clump and which than led him to get my spy and scout my marshal with a miner I had a chance playing for draw even afterwards but he is good at end game and took the win.

Round 7 I played Johnny van geffen the father of spion and hello124 and he completely destroyed me in the opening not much to say but major in to marsh col in to gen and he was able to force off trades easy win for him :)

round 8 I played Kees de vos I had a 100% win and then I mistakenly forgot gen which led me to lose col and end up losing the game.

Round 9 I played I don't remember name I am sure you could see on the matches posted, either way I had another 100% win and I moved to fast and let a known colonel take my major and wasn't able to pull it back since it was end game already.

Round 10 I played Martin or something like that and was a very simple victory of my general getting colonel and pinning down a major with 2 col advantage and forcing marsh trade off. All in all it was a very fun experience but I am shamed to see most of my losses happened due to my own failures than of my opponents skill. 

It is clear to me that playing online is much easier as you can see the entire board and not forget moved pieces but on live I struggle with remembering things.

I am competing in the open tournament tomorrow I hope to do a better showing for myself and NASF. Thanks to the Organization team for a wonderful World championships I hope to come and compete many more times!

• Dobby125, texaspete09 and TemplateRex like this

#199 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Captain

• Members
  • 973 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Scout

Posted 25 August 2018 - 11:23 PM

It is clear to me that playing online is much easier as you can see the entire board and not forget moved pieces but on live I struggle with remembering things.

What is really annoying in live games, is that the opponent doesn't have to order pieces correctly in the graveyard. So you have to spend a bit more time in the tray to see how many you are in front / behind. Taking your eye off the board for longer times, makes it more likely to forget pieces on the board. Of course, one could practice remembering the graveyard, so there's no free lunch :)

• Dobby125, Wogomite and rgillis783 like this

#200 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 25 August 2018 - 11:26 PM

What is really annoying in live games, is that the opponent doesn't have to order pieces correctly in the graveyard. So you have to spend a bit more time in the tray to see how many you are in front / behind. Taking your eye off the board for longer times, makes it more likely to forget pieces on the board. Of course, one could practice remembering the graveyard, so there's no free lunch :)

Hi I usually remember what is dead the problem was taking my eyes off the board to put in pieces to graveyard so I guess you are right in a sense but I wasn't really focusing on all of my opponents moves. Ricardo after our game said I wasn't even looking at him shuffling his pieces so he knew I had forgotten it all.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users