rgillis783

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:05 PM

A rally in solidarity with the two Greek soldiers held in Turkey for inadvertently straying into the country is being organized for March 25 — Greek Independence Day — in Thessaloniki.

For those of you who don't know about this here is the story. Two Greek soldiers strayed into Turkey on a routine border patrol. You may say they should have known better-while they were in deep snow with poor visibility. A LT. and Sgt. are being held by the Turkish authorities since March 1, 2018. It seems the bad blood between these two ancient countries continues, they are using these to soldiers as pawns in a greater game. Unfortunately this is no game. They are being held behind bars not some resort ! I am not Greek but I don't have to be to contact my own US congressman or senator and ask for intervention on this matter.  I implore anyone who is willing to empathize with these soldiers and help. Why am I posting about something that happened two weeks ago? Because I asked a Greek  Stratego player who was good enough to let me know it was still going on. I like most people live in a short news cycle I had no idea this was still going on. Imagine if this situation came up in your own country.

• Don_Homer, Aris1970, DarthRemark and 1 other like this

#2 tobermoryx

tobermoryx

Major

• Moderators
  • 1,131 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted 17 March 2018 - 01:09 AM

These guys are unlucky that Erdogan wants those Turks that took the helicopter to Greece after the coup back.

He will want to swap them i expect.

• DarthRemark likes this

#3 rgillis783

rgillis783

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 17 March 2018 - 12:39 PM

Tobermoryx I agree these men are caught up in a greater storm of events .The failed coup in Turkey and those soldiers that left with the helicopter I feel do play a part in what has yet to unfold. Let it be known that these two countries Turkey and Greece are members of NATO. I give the following examples as how this could have been handled. US Navy patrol boat steers into Iranian waters.Iranians intercept said US patrol boat. Sailors are detained and released in less than two weeks. Same type incident in 2007 with Iranian Navy and 15 Royal Navy sailors and marines during a sea inspection near Iraq. Held for 13 days and released. Many countries have along history of animosity toward each other. Detaining soldiers for breach of sovereign territory is understandable, holding these soldiers for anything longer than two weeks is questionable and dangerous  in my opinion.  

Edited by rgillis783, 17 March 2018 - 12:39 PM.

#4 rgillis783

rgillis783

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 07 April 2018 - 12:12 AM

I posted this news over 3 weeks ago. The soldiers have been jailed for over a month. Orthodox Easter is  this Sunday , it would be a nice gift of cooperation for Turkey to release them soon. Once again for those that are unaware --holding another countries soldiers for this long is very uncommon .

• Major Nelson likes this

#5 rgillis783

rgillis783

Miner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:34 PM

The Hainan Island incident occurred on April 1, 2001, when a United States Navy EP-3E ARIES II signals intelligenceaircraft and a People's Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) J-8II interceptor fighter jet collided in mid-air, resulting in an international dispute between the United States of America and the People's Republic of China (PRC).

The EP-3 was operating about 70 miles (110 km) away from the PRC island province of Hainan, and about 100 miles (160 km) away from the Chinese military installation in the Paracel Islands, when it was intercepted by two J-8 fighters. A collision between the EP-3 and one of the J-8s caused the death of a PRC pilot, and the EP-3 was forced to make an emergency landing on Hainan. The 24 crew members were detained and interrogated by the Chinese authorities until a statement was delivered by the United States government regarding the incident. The exact phrasing of this document was intentionally ambiguous and allowed both countries to save face while defusing a potentially volatile situation between militarily strong regional states.[1][2]

The 24 crew members (21 men and 3 women)[25] were detained until April 11, shortly after the U.S. issued the "letter of the two sorries" to the Chinese. The Chinese military boarded the EP-3 and thoroughly stripped and examined the aircraft's equipment.[citation needed] The crew was only partially successful in their destruction of classified material, and some of the material they failed to destroy included cryptographic keyssignals intelligence manuals, and the names of National Security Agency employees.[9] Some of the captured computers contained detailed information for processing PROFORMA communications from North KoreaRussiaVietnamChina and other countries.[9] The plane also carried information on the emitter parameters for U.S.-allied radar systems worldwide.[9] The fact that the United States could track PLAN submarines via signal transmission was also revealed to China.[9]

This is my last post on this subject--a last example  of how these matter should be carried out.     pulled from Wiki

Edited by rgillis783, 07 April 2018 - 09:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users