Photo

2018 NASF National Team Qualifiers Tournament.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#21 Fks

Fks

Captain

• NASF Committee
  • 829 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:36 AM

How is Fks able to participate? He doesn't appear to have an ELO above 800...

Hi Smu_qa.

According the selection criteria published last year, to be eligible for this event you must have:

1. Be a NASF member.
2. Have a Stratego.com site ELO rating of at least 800+. (Past/Present).

I have reached 800+ ELO before, I am in what you can say a rough patch rating wise atm. I guess I will put my try hard pants on and raise my rating on "Fks" lol :)

On a second note feel free to join the NASF and compete in this tournament we would love to have you :)
http://forum.strateg...bers-join-here/
Proud Committee Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#22 josephwhite

josephwhite

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 25 March 2018 - 10:10 PM

I'm sorry, but I would like to pull out of this tournament. I'm giving up participating in tournaments for now. Arranging games in tournaments is just becoming too inconvenient for me. It impacts family time and often forces me to commit to times that end up not being convenient.

• Fks likes this

#23 Fks

Fks

Captain

• NASF Committee
  • 829 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 25 March 2018 - 10:23 PM

I'm sorry, but I would like to pull out of this tournament. I'm giving up participating in tournaments for now. Arranging games in tournaments is just becoming too inconvenient for me. It impacts family time and often forces me to commit to times that end up not being convenient.

Alright Joseph, next time :)

#24 Fks

Fks

Captain

• NASF Committee
  • 829 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 30 March 2018 - 09:57 PM

Hi. 

Since there where only 6 registered players the NASF decided to change the requirement to max ELO to make the team.

The 2018 NASF team will consist of,

1. Constrictor

2. Texaspete09

3. Wogomite

4. MTinsley

5. Fks (Alt)

6. Steelers (Alt)

Fks, MTinsley, The Prof & Wogomite.

#25 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Captain

• Moderators
  • 892 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 30 March 2018 - 10:54 PM

The World Team Tournament will probably consist of teams of 4 players and 1 substitute.

Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.

#26 scottrussia

scottrussia

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Scout

Posted 02 April 2018 - 02:09 AM

The point of this tournament is to find the top 5 NA players available to us, to compete in any World team tournament going forward. Ex. If scottrussia would be put on the team he will have to play vs players like Hielco, Overlord, Major nelson, Unladen swallow and many other top players. I am sure Scottrussia is a great player, but we have players like Constrictor who have won all the names above. I am sorry it is like this.

At beginning of April we will announce a tournament open to all ratings of NASF members. I see our members are hungry for blood and you shall have it soon :)

Thank you for understanding.

Fks

You were on much more solid ground simply sticking with the idea that you had selected an arbitrary rule and were going to stick with it.

As an old coach used to say........ Lots of guys look good in practice.

Yes, the group you have selected are good players and I'm sure they will do very well in the tournament.  The idea that somehow ELO is the sole component that determines how well a player does in a tournament is very misplaced.

I took the time to find my results from the last tournament that I participated in.

Champions League 2017

1st round  Scottrussia 6 vs Gasp, No, Say it ain't so..... Wogomite 1.

1st round Scottrussia 6 vs roeczak 1.

1st round Scottrussia 6 vs slowmutant 1

1st round Scottrussia 6 vs Spaher 1

1st round Scottrussia 6 vs spyros77 1

Winner of Group 6?  ScottRussia.

ScottRussia then lost to Despy in the next round.  A match which I believe he would freely admit he got a bit fortunate to win - though he deserved credit for taking the risks he took given the situation.

I went back a bit further to Division 4 of the previous tournament.

ScottRussia 6 vs.....What?  No, it can't be TexasPete 1

ScottRussia 6 vs....... Hmmm.... The Prof 1

ScottRussia 6 vs. Roeczak 1

Oh, and since I assume you were busy chasing down guys with big ELO's, ask old Kernal Mustard how he has done against Spartan Warriors!  Ha!  

Seems like a lot of players of the caliber that you seem to think I'm not capable of playing.  Perhaps my hands were shaking while setting up my pieces and I just got really lucky?

OR ​Perhaps my opponents knew that..................................

​Spartan Warriors are on the March!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

​ELO is but one factor in predicting tournament success.  Those that volunteer and organize ultimately select the rules and I have no issue with that.  But the idea that somehow I cannot compete with whatever fancy user name that has a big ELO is very misplaced.

​Regards,

Scott

• Major Nelson likes this

​Spartan Warriors

KING of the Battlefield!!!!!!

#27 Fks

Fks

Captain

• NASF Committee
  • 829 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 02 April 2018 - 02:13 AM

You were on much more solid ground simply sticking with the idea that you had selected an arbitrary rule and were going to stick with it.

Yes, the group you have selected are good players and I'm sure they will do very well in the tournament.  The idea that somehow ELO is the sole component that determines how well a player does in a tournament is very misplaced.

I took the time to find my results from the last tournament that I participated in.

Champions League 2017

1st round  Scottrussia 6 vs Gasp, No, Say it ain't so..... Wogomite 1.

Winner of Group 6?  ScottRussia.

ScottRussia then lost to Despy in the next round.  A match which I believe he would freely admit he got a bit fortunate to win - though he deserved credit for taking the risks he took given the situation.

ScottRussia 6 vs.....What?  No, it can't be TexasPete 1

Oh, and since I assume you were busy chasing down guys with big ELO's, ask old Kernal Mustard how he has done against Spartan Warriors!  Ha!  

Seems like a lot of players of the caliber that you seem to think I'm not capable of playing.  Perhaps my hands were shaking while setting up my pieces and I just got really lucky?

OR ​Perhaps my opponents knew that..................................

​ELO is but one factor in predicting tournament success.  Those that volunteer and organize ultimately select the rules and I have no issue with that.  But the idea that somehow I cannot compete with whatever fancy user name that has a big ELO is very misplaced.

​Regards,

Scott

That is truly amazing. I will pm you my answer.

#28 astros

astros

Stratego TM

• Other Tournaments Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 02 April 2018 - 02:33 AM

Yes, the group you have selected are good players and I'm sure they will do very well in the tournament. The idea that somehow ELO is the sole component that determines how well a player does in a tournament is very misplaced.

Champions League 2017

1st round Scottrussia 6 vs Gasp, No, Say it ain't so..... Wogomite 1.

Winner of Group 6? ScottRussia.

ScottRussia then lost to Despy in the next round. A match which I believe he would freely admit he got a bit fortunate to win - though he deserved credit for taking the risks he took given the situation.

ScottRussia 6 vs.....What? No, it can't be TexasPete 1

Oh, and since I assume you were busy chasing down guys with big ELO's, ask old Kernal Mustard how he has done against Spartan Warriors! Ha!

Seems like a lot of players of the caliber that you seem to think I'm not capable of playing. Perhaps my hands were shaking while setting up my pieces and I just got really lucky?

OR ​Perhaps my opponents knew that..................................

​ELO is but one factor in predicting tournament success. Those that volunteer and organize ultimately select the rules and I have no issue with that. But the idea that somehow I cannot compete with whatever fancy user name that has a big ELO is very misplaced.

​Regards,
Scott

Hi Scott,

There is no love loss between me and the current NASF committee. Historically, I did have a role in designing the NASF qualifiers and rankings, so here are my uninvited opinions.

Historically, to participate in the NASF qualifiers a player had to have one of the top 8 NASF ELOs or a max ELO above 950. The 950 requirement is a year old, so adjusting for inflation that is about 1000 or 1050 points today. I'll agree that your ELO does not reflect your abilities. However, your previous high was in the 700s, and frankly you are not at the 1000 point level (neither am I). Considering NASF ELO, you rank 18th out of the 31 players with more than 10 games. You had some good results and there have not been any NASF games in over a year, but you were in the bottom of half of NASF players. While I do not endorse the Kleier ranking system, you are not a top 10 US player on that list either.

What irks me about your post is that you are expecting special treatment. It has long been your mantra that many of us, including myself, take the game too seriously. You probably have a point, but the tournaments on this site are designed for those of us who play too much Stratego. It is perfectly fine, and probably healthier, that you do not care as much. However, because you share your account and leave games against abusive or slow players, you have not demonstrated that you are at the level that the NASF has set. In my opinion, it is unfair for you to ask the NASF to treat you as a serious/high level player only when it is convenient for you.

I am sure you are going to tell me that I am elitist or take Stratego too seriously, I do! However, maybe this will help you accept the NASF's decision.

Alex

Edited by malcom.jansen, 02 April 2018 - 02:44 AM.

69 bottles of beer on the wall, 69 bottles of beer.
Take one down and pass it around.

#29 scottrussia

scottrussia

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Scout

Posted 02 April 2018 - 03:27 AM

Well, my initial request to play was simply based on wanting to have the opportunity to qualify.  And I believe my reply pointed out that simply sticking with whatever rule was agreed was likely the best reply.

I'd have to point out that your historical example is one year old.  Two years ago we had a tournament and after the tournament was held then it was decided that those that qualified (I was not one of them) wouldn't be the "best" team.  I recall posting my opinion on that - something along the lines that those that qualified should represent the NASF and participation should be part of the determination of the team.  And I believe that last year I posted something along the lines that again - those that participated should be given the opportunity to compete for the team (which would have excluded myself given that I didn't play in two of the tournaments).

So I don't believe I'm asking for special treatment - I withdrew my request to participate.  And I would hope you realize my reply is half serious and half simply defending my stratego honor!  And trying to make a point.

I do believe that the NASF needs to increase participation.  Its my opinion that a qualifying tournament that is open to all that participate actively encourages participation.  Your ELO is 436 and your active? Sign up and give it a shot and get the opportunity to play some of the best players in the world.  That player is then far more likely to participate in the next NASF event.  It is also treating all NASF players as members of a community.  (not to mention it allows settling things on the battlefield).

I would lastly simply disagree that stratego tournaments are/should be for those that take the game very seriously.  Stratego (along with all other games/sports I've ever played) will be played at a higher level when one is enjoying the game along with the competitive nature of the competition.

Regards,

Scott

​Spartan Warriors

KING of the Battlefield!!!!!!

#30 Fks

Fks

Captain

• NASF Committee
  • 829 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 02 April 2018 - 04:56 AM

I do believe that the NASF needs to increase participation.  Its my opinion that a qualifying tournament that is open to all that participate actively encourages participation.  Your ELO is 436 and your active? Sign up and give it a shot and get the opportunity to play some of the best players in the world.  That player is then far more likely to participate in the next NASF event.  It is also treating all NASF players as members of a community.  (not to mention it allows settling things on the battlefield).

Regards,

Scott

The qualifying tournament is very limited with the time we have. The max participants could have been 8-10. There is a double elimination tournament open now that has no time restraint I encourage you to join represent the SPARTAN WARRIORS and enjoy your time :) I will have to lock this topic now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users