#21 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Major

• Moderators
  • 1,077 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:16 PM

I do have an account at lichess, where I play rarely. My rating at classical is about 1570.There is also a rating for training (which basically involves solving riddles, like the questions at elometer). There I have a rating around 1850, which is very close to my Elometer rating. This is the case with roeczak, too (2000 classical rating, 2200 training rating, 2255 Elometer rating). So I think what Elometer estimates is your rating at solving chess problems (training rating), which is most often higher than your true level because you have as much time as you want to think and analyse the situation before you.

To be honest, I've never taken chess seriously. I may play or solve problems occasionally, but nothing more. Chess is a game of logic, so it suits as a hobby to smart people, but familiarity with the game is essential. I've played with roeczak several times and still play every now and then (he generally kicks my butt but as far as I recall I have managed to clinch 1 or 2 victories in total ;) ) and he tells me that I often make good moves based on logic, but with zero experience to different game situations in comparison to him I usually don't stand a chance. I regret to say - being aware of roeczak's long-term engagement in chess - that it's too late for me to start taking chess seriously now. Stratego offers far more prospects to me (apart from the fact that it's a very interesting game), so I've decided to take this hobby seriously, instead.

Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.

#22 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:58 PM

As always I completely agree with Nortrom. They should say what the right answers were and where you went wrong. All this time spend today (boooooring as Fks said), and you have zero analysis. That's half the fun.

This is unlike the site roeczak and I are on... perfect analysis on chess.com. I think this is an ancient test.

It's really not like there are few diagrams on the world either. On my club we have millions of these. You can't start memorizing all of them so it's just lame.

And this set = outbalanced, so unique? Nonsense, as we all show a very wrong elo-rating afterwards. It's a bad test. What's left for arguments?

So there is no reason for Dusseldorf to do this. I say we go to war with them.

header_hhu_logo.png

Lo

#23 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• Moderators
  • 2,022 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:14 AM

Nelson the Major and I played two games of chess yesterday.

https://lichess.org/0cYL8XMs86Fl ( game 1 )

On the first game, I did not agree with the computer (stockfish 9's) analysis of move 11 as I did not want his rook to be on E8, which I would have forced him to do. I missed the fact I would gain a tempo by placing the bishop on F6 afterwards as I was too focused on getting my own rook on E4 ('untouchable') as he had no knights or LSB left

Another possibility I considered was, after bishop G5,  he would place his bishop on E7. If I take, he recaptures with the queen, I then can capture his pawn on F5 (E4 x F5) with a discovered attack on his queen, but I liked my pawn structure too much. Essentially messing up my pawnstructure for a pawn which I wasn't sure I could hold on to profitably.

Extra kudos for me missing a mate in 1 later on  :angry:

https://lichess.org/7JvJAjlNSuH0 ( game 2 )

• MTinsley likes this
"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

#24 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:34 PM

The name I see there is 'lightwing'. I honestly thought I had never ever won from you before, truly. I had Vincent de Boer in mind with 'lightwing' as he had an alias besides "Stuyvesant", I probably knew it once but had forgotten. And I see the very last game I played on Gravon I actually won from this 'lightwing'... well that is at least one to take to the grave: http://www.gravon.de...sp?nick=lonello

Anyway, on the chessboard I should beat you still... and roeczak will beat us all... above games obviously do not count for competition either :ph34r: ... I notice no blunders in both games though so the build up is well. It's the same system chess.com has for analysis, a great system. Just didn't know about this centipion loss, bit of an upgrade maybe.

1    Imperfecties
1    Fouten
0    Blunders
13    Gemiddelde centipion verlies

Lo

#25 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• Moderators
  • 2,022 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:51 PM

Yes, I remember the game we played on Alternative playing options. It was a few weeks or days even prior to the DC 2006, which, partly due to that particular game I did not feel too confident about :). I thought my name on there was common knowledge, even more so as it has been mentioned (as meta name) on several occasions on the forum prior. As far as I remember, we have met on the live board a few times (3x DC) and I believe atleast one occasion of the teamcup.

Most likely, yes, unless you manage to take roeczak by surprise ;). If I recall correctly, your chess competition / tournaments interfere with Stratego tournaments, right? And you would (occasionally) visit DC, TeamCup and "Kees kaboem tourneys".

#26 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:27 AM

Glad to have been of service with that waking call then! I can not remember what the game was about. Maybe I played the DC 2006 too then and I was there to practice a little. Stratego.com not in existence yet and everything. Now can you still remember that other alias of Vincent then? Yes, me and some oldbees visited the "Kees kaboem tourneys"... since they took him off TV it was the only way to see him and hear the Kees Alphabet.

Anyway, on topic, I think this Dusseldorf elo is the Tactics elo roeczak describes at chess.com as well. Study chess probably is always a couple of hundred above normal since when you have a diagram, you're already told 'something is going on'... there is a good move to do. While on the dozens of moves in a normal game, most are pretty common, and you're never told there's a mate in xx for instance.

Lo

#27 roeczak

roeczak

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 901 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:28 AM

I think Gpet0 has said that Vincent was "Lion"
If you enjoy stratego you might want to subscribe to Roeczak. Member of Stratego Captains Club. Actively trying to promote the game and would like to help in any activity towards that goal. Highest Rating : 898 (Platinum Marshal)

#28 Don_Homer

Don_Homer

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:55 PM

I think Gpet0 has said that Vincent was "Lion"

Gpet0 was right! :)

Molto Bene, Thats a nica Donut !

#29 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 09 March 2018 - 05:21 PM

Ohhh yeah right. Both start with Li, while I start with Lo... makes all the difference ;)

Lo

#30 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Major

• Moderators
  • 1,077 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:16 PM

https://www.youtube....HPeRkbo8d8&t=7s

#31 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:51 PM

Did you ask for permission to get this game uploaded, Major? You might get a stalking or libel case against you for this ;)?!

Lo

#32 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Major

• Moderators
  • 1,077 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:56 PM

Yep, I also asked for our stratego match but Nortrom didn't want me to upload it so I didn't push any further. ;)

#33 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:58 PM

Maybe we should go as open and transparant with Stratego as we do with Chess then ;)!

Lo

#34 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• Moderators
  • 2,022 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:05 PM

Yep, I also asked for our stratego match but Nortrom didn't want me to upload it so I didn't push any further. ;)

This is a complete and utter lie. It was me who said you could record & publish the chess game, you didn't even ask for it. Another fake news story. I will call my 16 lawyers and prepare a case against you.

Spoiler

#35 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:02 PM

You should have asked him again. Nortrom isn't doing a single thing for the Stratego community. :)

Edited by Unladen Swallow, 12 March 2018 - 07:03 PM.

• Nortrom and Morx like this

I used to play against a few drunken idiots in College and University. I just recently discovered this game online, playing my first matches against real-world opponents. After 100 games, I'm now one of the top 10 players in the world. 

#36 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• Moderators
  • 2,022 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:43 PM

Obviously I didn't do it for the Stratego community, but like always, just for my own sake :)

Spoiler

#37 roeczak

roeczak

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 901 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:31 PM

The WC match between Magnus Carlsen and Fabiano Caruana is going to be held in London . Possibly the city which will also host the Stratego WC next year?

If you enjoy stratego you might want to subscribe to Roeczak. Member of Stratego Captains Club. Actively trying to promote the game and would like to help in any activity towards that goal. Highest Rating : 898 (Platinum Marshal)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users