#1 roeczak

roeczak

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 915 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:52 AM

Who of you do play chess? If you are please post your chess.com username !

I hope i wont be banned because i am mentioning another site.

Chess.com username - AKJett

Roeczak
  • Major Nelson likes this
If you enjoy stratego you might want to subscribe to Roeczak. Member of Stratego Captains Club. Actively trying to promote the game and would like to help in any activity towards that goal. Highest Rating : 898 (Platinum Marshal)

#2 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:05 PM

Lol, don't worry, these are just ALTERNATIVE PLAYING OPTIONS :D :lol: :ph34r: :rolleyes:.

Do you play on chess.com Lo? Whats your rating?

This depends on what discipline you mean. I am nowhere near any high ranks as I am a low reserve at my club so no Prof there either. But my highest is 2070 for Blitz (speed chess). Much lower at correspondance chess which is the regular chess and Fischerchess (both you get several days for a move up to weeks)... imagine a couple of hundreds down to 1800 there. Then you also get ratings for Tactics, Bullet and fun variants like Dog House and 4-Player and about every minute a new Tournament starts in every discipline (not fond of all of them but it may grow on you once tired of normal chess like Fischer once was).

Lo

#3 roeczak

roeczak

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 915 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:18 PM

Lo sounds like you are a good match for me. Do you play also otb?
I would love to arrange a game.
If you enjoy stratego you might want to subscribe to Roeczak. Member of Stratego Captains Club. Actively trying to promote the game and would like to help in any activity towards that goal. Highest Rating : 898 (Platinum Marshal)

#4 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:55 PM

I don't even know what OTB is ;). I have only become a member there two months ago... flabbergasted at what I found as Stratego.com's counterpart. Just amazing, and you realize what a world podium gives you... we've got hundreds of Strategogames going here all day long because of the .com title, but Chess benefits as well from it, having an extreme amount of games.

I've checked you out and you're way better than me for sure... up to 2200+ for Tactic Lessons... with that you would make our first team and not the reserves ;)! If you like winning I can send you an invite ofcourse... I don't mind as I like losing as I just said here :) :

since I like the fantasy, like swallows and like losing my list is:

1 Thucydides_Olorou

2 Unladen Swallow

3 Losermaker

It's going to be later then as I've got to run now.

Lo

#5 roeczak

roeczak

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 915 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:18 PM

Thucydides_Olorou is a very strong chess player , by the way as I found out. (2200+ in OTB). He also teaches the game to young players which i find great. I wish he returned .

OTB is over the board chess. Surely you have heard of live tournaments in the Netherlands. (Wijk aan Zee?)

#6 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:45 PM

Lol, OK you simply mean live games... sure I play them all the time ofcourse, every week.

I had no idea about Thucydides_Olorou, I didn't find him now either there, and then checked https://www.chess.co...mber/thucydides but that seems a poor player.

I just saw he returned here this week. And I thought it was a remarkable name which is why I took him for points in the poll over here.

Lo

#7 roeczak

roeczak

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 915 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:14 PM

Do you have OTB rating?

#8 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:23 AM

Would be fun to set up a competition here. I only have a KNSB rating but I suppose that matches FIDE well, it's 1777. I'm not much of an internetplayer. I rather play "OTB" now I know what that stands for ;). I'm an old fashioned old dude you know, nothing like you ;). Last week my team (of 8 players) played a derby and I had to sit at board 1 but he was 1900 and I honestly had no chance from the start. I once played a tourney outside my country, the remembrance of the WC Fischer won, so it had all these Grandmasters in. Ofcourse I could only sit at the lower boards. My best win was of a local player of a 2000 rating. That's about the top I have reached and I do have to have a bit of luck with it. In analysis after he mentioned many things I had not even seen on the board ;).

Lo

#9 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:09 PM

@roeczak: I never played chess, apart from a few games against friends and on my phone. I just did http://www.elometer.net/ and got 1415 ELO estimate :) 

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#10 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• Moderators
  • 2,138 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:34 PM

I took that one too a while ago, and I got a 1800ish score if I recall correctly which I don't consider myself remotely close to.

"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

#11 Fks

Fks

Major

• NASF Committee
  • 1,176 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:39 PM

I got to question #36 to boring

Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

http://forum.strateg...18/#entry461226

#12 roeczak

roeczak

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 915 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:11 PM

I have gotten a rating of 2175 in the past there , if i remember.
I consider this to be above my pkaying strength however

#13 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• Moderators
  • 2,138 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:54 PM

Just took it again.

MSmZHH4.png

• Fks likes this

#14 roeczak

roeczak

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 915 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:44 AM

Lol 
Well I knew some of the problems ...

My rating on the internet is usually between 1900-2000.

28822192_856228121214683_1593651081_o.pn

#15 Losermaker

Losermaker

Lieutenant

• Moderators
  • 698 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 07 March 2018 - 02:42 AM

haha I got 1436 after only having played chess about 4 times in my life :)

• TemplateRex likes this

#16 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Major

• Moderators
  • 1,137 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:07 AM

https://imgur.com/gallery/uXuaY

Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.

#17 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 07 March 2018 - 02:51 PM

Lol, this isn't homework I would normally do... 76 puzzles... it's half one of the booklets we have for our kids, so took me long to complete ;)! It is now certain that it is a fake test... I got 2009! While I have a normal steady rating for a long time now of rather 1800. Also, question 39 I wanted to promote to rock but it never gave an option, and you can not see what the correct answers were?!

So on average they overvalue for about 200-250 elo. Still we can seed any chesstournament according to this elo system though ;).

feedback_065992252891.png

Thank you for participating!
Based on your move choices, our estimate of your Elo rating is 2009, with a 95% confidence interval of [1885...2134].

How did we arrive at this estimate?
We used item response theory (or "latent trait theory"; Hambleton, Swaminathan, & Rogers, 1991) to derive an estimate of your playing strength based on your answers to a set of chess problems with known properties. To arrive at this estimate, we employed the two-parameter Birnbaum model (Lord, 1980) which allows items to differ a) in difficulty and B) in discriminatory power. The set of chess problems we used was taken from the "Amsterdam Chess Test" developed by van der Maas & Wagenmakers (2005), who presented their chess problems to a sample of 259 participants at a Dutch open tournament. The national Elo rating of these participants ranged from 1169 to 2629. Using a subset of the items of this test (the Choose-A-Move item set A and B), we were able to compute a maximum likelihood estimate of your ELO rating based on a prediction formula regressing the latent ability estimates of the Birnbaum model on the ELO ratings of the comparison sample. Using the test information function, we were also able to compute a 95% confidence interval for this estimate.

Lo

#18 Nortrom

Nortrom

General

• Moderators
  • 2,138 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 07 March 2018 - 03:37 PM

Looks like it rated all three of us (roeczak, me, lonello) above our actual level(cant comment on MN/LM). I must admit chess is an awesome game to play. I occasionally watch some of the TCEC games (engine vs engine) on YT and often find myself astonished by some of the moves the engines make. And even more so, the moves they don't make as it would lead into a 10 move variation where they would end up in a pickle.

That being said, I do find it a bit lame that no correct answers were shown, but on the other hand, if you start to memorize the answers next time you take the test it would change the results. You can always screenshot the positions and put them to test by a chess engine.

MN and I have a very similar elometer ELO it seems. If he wins our game tonight for the PRO series, we'll have to play a game of chess afterwards so I can, hopefully, feel better ;)

#19 roeczak

roeczak

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 915 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 07 March 2018 - 03:39 PM

Nortrom, I was just about to write that yesterday but i forgot!

MN's rating on lichess is sth like 1600 i think . He has a good feeling as to the general concepts (e.g. control of the center , opening/closing positions but hasnt studied the game seriously though as he says "i didnt start young so there is no hope for me to become really good"

#20 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Major

• Moderators
  • 1,137 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 07 March 2018 - 03:51 PM

MN and I have a very similar elometer ELO it seems. If he wins our game tonight for the PRO series, we'll have to play a game of chess afterwards so I can, hopefully, feel better ;)

Anytime. ;)

Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users