#41 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 713 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:12 PM

@Sohal: then it is another version of this box made in another year :) I call those Standing Towers as opposed to Standing Gates.

Sometimes you think you have all versions and then find that one that looks the same on the outside has different manual, graveyard, pieces or board. In general the trend was: carton pieces>wooden pieces>standing gates (plastic)> standing Totwers (plastic)

The last 10 years we went back to round standing gates and the most recent Jumbo version uses standing towers again.

#42 Don_Homer

Don_Homer

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 03 March 2018 - 03:14 PM

At first sight, it seems that this game with 4 bombs would have been more balanced with 3 instead of 4 miners, and 5 instead of 4 scouts (or 5 bombs and 1 colonel, but 5 bombs on 24 squares seems too much). With regular Stratego, I like that there are 5 miners and 6 bombs so that if every miner kills a bomb, the flag is then guaranteed to be open.

There is a website(jijbent.nl and yourturnmyturn.com) where you can play a 24 pieces game who looks like this game. I think Vincent de Boer constructed it. He, Nortrom, myself and some other Dutch stratego players were/are pretty good in it. Its very balanced with 1, marshall, 1 general, 2 kolos, 3 caps, 3 serges, 3 miners, 5 scouts, 4 bombs, 1 spy and flag. I wonder if there if there exist a box with this game :).
  • TemplateRex likes this

Molto Bene, Thats a nica Donut !

#43 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Captain

• Members
  • 790 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 03 March 2018 - 03:22 PM

There is a website(jijbent.nl and yourturnmyturn.com) where you can play a 24 pieces game who looks like this game. I think Vincent de Boer constructed it. He, Nortrom, myself and some other Dutch stratego players were/are pretty good in it. Its very balanced with 1, marshall, 1 general, 2 kolos, 3 caps, 3 serges, 3 miners, 5 scouts, 4 bombs, 1 spy and flag. I wonder if there if there exist a box with this game :).

Great, sounds very balanced and similar to the 40 piece version. Miners == bombs - 1 and 1 gen instead of 2 colonels makes Marsh info not overly strong
  • Don_Homer likes this

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#44 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 713 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 04 March 2018 - 12:52 AM

enwGZYw.jpg

RZt44FV.jpg

vw6Jigj.jpg

#45 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 713 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 04 March 2018 - 01:03 AM

9 Stratego - The Classic game of Battlefield Strategy - Parker Brothers

This is the board I was looking for. Again the lakes are really nicely drawn. A feature that adds to the quality of the board is the fact that the blue on the side of the board turns into red.

What this board misses is a divider screen common in many other sets that seem to come from similar age. The trend to sell the whole box with a divider screen has come in Europe at some point and it has been there ever since.

I am not sure if the same is true for Hasbro/MB/Parker Brothers sets as sold in the USA and some other markets.

Pieces material: standing towers

Piece Color:red and blue

Board: hard carton

Outside box: White

Year made: unknown

Publisher: Parker Brothers

Edited by Morx, 04 March 2018 - 01:04 AM.

• Fks likes this

#46 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 04 March 2018 - 01:09 AM

MB and hasbro doesn't sell with devider unless I am missing mine :)
Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#47 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 713 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 04 March 2018 - 01:43 AM

stratego-original-board-game--34C84CFA.z

#48 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 713 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 04 March 2018 - 01:49 AM

The one above is the current distributor of Stratego in the USA, Patch. I am guessing this one will have a devider screen. Will look into this tomorrow.

=================================================================================================

Funny story: I talked with one of the other collectors of Stratego today.

He told me that the first board Nr 1 in the collection was originally made in 1945.

The commercial version 1 came out in 1946 and a slightly modified version 2 hit the market in 1947.

The differences were round vs square cartons used for the pieces and the feet of the pieces that holds the carton.

I actually have two of those boxes, will check tomorrow see if they are both 1947 or one is the older one.

Edited by Morx, 04 March 2018 - 01:50 AM.

#49 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 04 March 2018 - 02:32 AM

I will show u what I have. https://goo.gl/images/ZQohse I guess it does have a divider so I lost it a few years ago I guess rip. lol

• Morx likes this
Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#50 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 713 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:25 AM

ClCTGqh.jpg

xj0bapv.jpg

3tOr6dG.jpg

#51 Losermaker

Losermaker

Captain

• Moderators
  • 995 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:27 AM

My Nostalgia edition came without a divider, so I just used the timber box and partially pulled out the lid to block the view fairly completely. I have a funny story about this set too... it comes with 'gates' and American numbering. I only ever used to play my dad on the board, and would win 'quite' regularly. One day dad accidently knocks a piece near the side of the board off during setup, I was looking down at my pieces and didn't see him knock it off.  It took him a few minutes to find the piece, which had gone under his desk, and when he did he goes, "oh it was one of yours" and hands it back to me. Game continues... I lost.

Game 2 is played the next day, also a loss... By now I am getting frustrated, he can just pick my bluffs.

Next game I win, but only just. For the next 2 days we go 50/50 until the last game where he just comes straight in after my gen with his marsh, going past pieces that could be spy, takes the unprotected gen and I lose.

He cracks up laughing afterwards and has to tell me there is a little scratch he put on my spy!  :lol: :lol: :lol:  :o. I forgave him as I understood he was desperate for a win :rolleyes:, but it gave me a great laugh, as well as a bit of a handicap :)

Needless to say a new set of pieces were ordered straight away ;)

• Don_Homer and Morx like this

#52 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 713 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:45 AM

10 Stratego - Hasbro Interactive

Yesterday when cleaning my office I found this game. I accidentally walked into a CD holder that has old computer games and it moved. When I put it back I realized that the top one has the word Stratego on it.

This is the CD for Windows 95/98 for a Stratego game that supported up to 4 players. It was published by Hasbro Interactive, then licence holder in the USA and Jumbo. It did support network play. It also supported playing on the internet. In those days there was a big difference between network play and internet play.  After registration for a service, it could be used to sign into what was called The Zone.

The animations were a bit slow on whatever computer I was running it, the bomb exploding could take quite a while, making it not the best technical implementation for online play. Some animations could be turned on and off, but it was performance heavy.  The software design seemed to be aimed at more casual players, with great looks. There was quite an active community when the internet service was running. There are many old players from those days still here at the site

Pieces material: virtual

Piece Color:red and blue

Board: virtual

Outside box: Red

Year made: 1998?

Publisher: Hasbro Interactive Ltd

Edited by Morx, 04 March 2018 - 09:54 AM.

#53 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 713 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:41 AM

XtXZurA.jpg

OKcQkuJ.jpg

UwegRO1.jpg

• Losermaker likes this

#54 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 713 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:41 AM

11 Stratego 4 - Voor 4 spelers

One of the true gems of my collection. People who have never seen this before are probably wondering what this all about. This is a variation of the game with a double sided board for 3 or other side (not shown in pic) 4 players.

Aim of the game is to take the flag to the top of the circle in the middle of the board. The flag is carried on top of other pieces and can be captured by the opponents, which will then move it back to the start circle (ie  the laurel in the middle of the red box)

The pieces have a special divider inside their design to prevent peeking from the sides.

The game has captains that can move 2 spots and cannons, who can shoot over 2 fields and kill any piece they hit, but are taken out of the game after they are used.

The game also has a buyback of pieces mechanism. The counter for this is found in the middle of the graveyard, the carton with the roman number I,II, III,IV,V, VI)

Pieces material: Standing towers

Piece Color:red,blue, yellow, green

Outside box: Blue

Year made: 1990s?

Publisher: Jumbo

Edited by Morx, 05 March 2018 - 10:51 AM.

• Losermaker, Fks and TemplateRex like this

#55 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 713 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:47 AM

bY9BABm.jpg

rGFILVH.jpg

PHAhbyI.jpg

• Losermaker and rgillis783 like this

#56 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 713 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:48 AM

Edited by Morx, 06 March 2018 - 11:05 AM.

#57 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 713 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:54 AM

12 Stratego

Ok I think everyone has seen this box at some point. It has been sold in Europe for many years.

Its not a very special board from a collectors view, but this one has emotional value. This is my first Stratego board. This is me and my dad playing the game at the table in the living room.

It has no divider screen yet, so a lot of games were started holding the top of the box in the middle, with potentially pushing over pieces at the start of the game. As you see in the first picture the edges have some wear, but I tend to be careful with my stuff so the overall condition of the game is pretty good. More so considering this game traveled many places in my backpack.

When I was putting it back into the cupboard I realized that one of the sides of the top box was loose, which really annoyed me for obvious reasons.

Piece Color:red,blue

Year made: 1980s

Edited by Morx, 06 March 2018 - 11:29 AM.

• TemplateRex likes this

#58 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 713 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:42 PM

BCDRDHQ.jpg

D94zrKI.jpg

AafSEJO.jpg

Edited by Morx, 06 March 2018 - 12:43 PM.

#59 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 713 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:46 PM

13 Stratego

Now this is confusing. If you only had the board and the pieces, it would look I was reposting nr 12.

However, the flags on this front side of this box are different than nr 12. Also number 12 has the Jumbo logo on the front side of the box in a different color.

By further comparing the pictures I realize that the writing of the word Stratego on the actual board is also different.

The drawing of the flags on box nr 13  is more in line with older versions of the game, so this is the earlier version of the nr 12 design. Based on how many times I have encountered this box, nr 12 is way more common.

That is what collecting is about. It is different, I don't have it yet, get me that box :)

Year made: 1970s-1980s?

Edited by Morx, 06 March 2018 - 12:50 PM.

#60 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Captain

• Members
  • 790 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Sergeant

Posted 06 March 2018 - 03:26 PM

12 Stratego

Ok I think everyone has seen this box at some point. It has been sold in Europe for many years.

Its not a very special board from a collectors view, but this one has emotional value. This is my first Stratego board. This is me and my dad playing the game at the table in the living room.

It has no divider screen yet, so a lot of games were started holding the top of the box in the middle, with potentially pushing over pieces at the start of the game. As you see in the first picture the edges have some wear, but I tend to be careful with my stuff so the overall condition of the game is pretty good. More so considering this game traveled many places in my backpack.

When I was putting it back into the cupboard I realized that one of the sides of the top box was loose, which really annoyed me for obvious reasons.

Year made: 1980s

This is the version I first played on as well. With a friend. I didn't own a box until 4 months ago. I really dislike the new female spy version. 

• Losermaker likes this

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users