#1 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 710 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:23 PM

Due to the very good feedback I got on posting the pictures in Nortroms Blog, I decided to share some more of my collection to the world.

In this topic I will post pictures and information and stories about the Stratego games I have in my collection.

The first game will be the oldest one I have that is called Stratego.

• rgillis783 and The Achaean like this

#2 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 710 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:30 PM

mJCOIiG.jpg

The actual game. It is the oldest game that has the name Stratego on it as far as I know. In the middle there is written in Dutch: No Mans land where the two lakes are.

Pieces material: Hard carton in wooden bottom piece.

Piece Color: Red & Green

SEbefkd.jpg

Board: hard carton

Outside box: Red

On the box it says Vol Spanning en Geestdrift, which roughly translates to Full of Excitement and Passion

9Gh86OY.jpg

Year made: 1946-1947

Publisher: Not on the box but either Jumbo or the predecessor Smeets en Schippers.

Edited by Morx, 04 March 2018 - 10:42 AM.

• DarthRemark, Moghedien, Fks and 1 other like this

#3 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 25 February 2018 - 02:42 PM

I like the checkered board, which helps a little with the 2 square rule :)

I hereby grant explicit permission to all my opponents to record and publish my games as they see fit.

#4 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 710 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 25 February 2018 - 02:56 PM

Yes this is one of the most conceptual boards. The light pink and soft green squares are unlike any other board I have ever seen.

#5 Losermaker

Losermaker

Captain

• Moderators
  • 937 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 26 February 2018 - 01:08 AM

Hey Morx,
Really glad you brought this up, there hasn't been any discussion about boards since Spece disappeared.

Pretty cool to have one of the earliest sets.

I have been looking into making myself a custom set (not that I play live much :) ) by converting a chess box with draws into a stratego board and making my own pieces out of wood or 3d printing plastic pieces. Has anyone else had a go at anything similar?

Edited by Losermaker, 26 February 2018 - 01:08 AM.

#6 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 710 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 26 February 2018 - 01:11 PM

Here is part 2:

l4SUNUP.jpg

0DvRkPc.jpg

nBff6iL.jpg

• Luckypapa likes this

#7 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 710 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 26 February 2018 - 01:18 PM

2 Salvo Stratego

This box is special because in all the years I spend collecting Stratego boards on flea markets and such, I only ever saw it once.

Its made for the German market and has a writing up front: 2 Strategic Games at Land and at Sea.

The box contains a game called Battleship(s?) I guess in English (Dutch Zeeslag) and our beloved Stratego. As you can see the box I own is mint, the little bags were never opened.

It has something else unique inside, the piece of paper with the very large colonel and the instruction to break something.

Pieces material: red and blue setup of the travel set standing in black holders

Piece Color: Red & Blue

Board: hard carton / Sea battles board of plastic

Outside box: Green

Year made: unknown, estimated 1980s

Publisher: Jumbo

• Don_Homer and rgillis783 like this

#8 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 710 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 26 February 2018 - 01:58 PM

@Losermaker:Thanks for your kind words,  i never considered 3D printing or anything to make a custom game, but there might be other fans that did something of the sorts?

As I said, afaik this is the earliest game actually called Stratego. There were games prior, one of which I will show in another series of this thread at some point. That game is based on L'Attaque, which looks a lot like Stratego but has a different number of fields.

I know in the Netherlands for the Dutch Championships we use special tournament boards, that have no folding edge in the middle. These are made  by Jumbo for SBN (Dutch Stratego Federation) and maybe ISF.

Do they sell any nice Stratego sets down under? Im always suprised what I find in foreign countries.

#9 Don_Homer

Don_Homer

Captain

• Members
  • 881 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 26 February 2018 - 02:14 PM

Nice collection Morx. But did anyone know the concept of stratego comes from China? Long before there was l'attack (probably the first game in Europe). The pieces in China were not hidden back then. It were animals with the elephant as a marshall and the mouse as a spy! :)

Molto Bene, Thats a nica Donut !

#10 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 710 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 26 February 2018 - 02:25 PM

Actually the first time I played living Stratego, running around the forest trying to catch the player with the flag card. They were using the animal names, Elephant, Lion etcetera and as you say, the Mouse catches the Elephant.

Recently Jumbo made a box that they have the cards for Living Stratego. This is one of the few boxes recently produced in the The Netherlands that I dont have yet.

jumbo_levend_stratego_buitenspel_165947.

#11 Losermaker

Losermaker

Captain

• Moderators
  • 937 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 27 February 2018 - 11:50 AM

Another nice set Morx, keep them coming :)

No they don't really sell the game over here, I have only ever found 1 game of stratego in a games shop and that was the new 'stratego original'

My dad bought the 1987 set until we gave it to some friends and now I just have the Nostalgia edition (2002 I think) which we got from USA.

If anyone has had a go at custom game sets for chess or stratego please let me know! :)

Edited by Losermaker, 27 February 2018 - 11:51 AM.

#12 Wogomite

Wogomite

Captain

• Honorary members
  • 882 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:03 PM

LM, I custum made a board in highschool I played with a friend almost every lunch break. I also have an old chess board that has a removable lid I plan to customize into a Stratego board with one side being a quick game board and the other being the full. I also would like to find a way to make a lifesize or at least a HUGE board one day as well.

At Morx, this is one of my favorite topics I have seen in this entire forums as of yet. Keep them coming.

My mouth waters over wanting to know the year your first posted and oldest board was made. Does anyone know?
  • Losermaker likes this

#13 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 710 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:34 PM

qWa4uyE.jpg

qEPl7qF.jpg

07BTvSS.jpg

Edited by Morx, 27 February 2018 - 06:35 PM.

• rgillis783 likes this

#14 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 710 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:47 PM

3 Stratego Tournament

Why I found this one special: it is the only Stratego based game I have seen that is used as part of a marketing campaign. You would get this if you would buy Hertog Jan (Duke John I of Brabant) Beer.

The game pieces do not have the standard pictures, because it is a different game, loosely based on the 8 piece game called Barrage. Pieces have different functions, for instance there are archers in the game. Clearly the game has different rules than the Classic Stratego and Barrage game. The aim is to capture Duke John who sits on his throne.

If I remember correctly one year there was actually tournament organized in Stratego Tournament.

The wiki says this about the actual Duke that the beer brand was named after:

"John I was said to be a model of feudal prince: brave, adventurous; excelling in every form of active exercise, fond of display, and generous in temper. He was considered one of the most gifted princes of his time"

In The Netherlands it is still fairly easy to get this game on a flea market for a low price.

Pieces material: plastic standing towers

Board: hard carton with a standing screen in the middle for setups

Outside box: Yellow /Brown in line with Hertog Jan Beer corporate colors

Year made: Estimated 1990s

Publisher: Identity Games

#15 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 710 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:27 PM

YauqfKK.jpg

qocSAtd.jpg

4KGjGAP.jpg

• Sohal and Losermaker like this

#16 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 710 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:34 PM

4 Beige Classic stratego

One of the more common but pretty old games, this beige version of classic with standing gates (not towers).

The gate pieces are square and more easy to tip over than current round towers.

Its either this game box or the variant in purple that I played my first Stratego game on ever. Honestly I dont remember, just that it was standing gates. The opponent was the dad of a youth friend of mine, who did not play many games with me because it ended with losing from a 7 or 8 year old. The enjoyment we had playing the game inspired my parents to get me my first board, another model of classic, with standing towers.

Note that getting the right year of when games weres made is difficult, because neither the instruction manual or the box normally contains any reference to the year of print. It is more based on how old were you when this thing was in the shop.

Pieces material: plastic standing gates

Outside box: Beige

Year made: Estimated 1960s-1970s

• Don_Homer, Losermaker and rgillis783 like this

#17 Luckypapa

Luckypapa

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:39 PM

The next purple box is the one I have! Played in the middle seventies with my dad. I love the board and pieces!

LuckyPapa

Edited by Luckypapa, 28 February 2018 - 07:01 PM.

The secret of happiness is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you should do.

#18 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 710 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:46 PM

b9WnSvO.jpg

bSdcd9y.jpg

2UyjpfO.jpg

• Losermaker likes this

#19 Morx

Morx

Lieutenant

• WC Online Team
  • 710 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:50 PM

5 Purple Classic stratego

Well here it is, the purple box I already promised. Not only the outside box is a different color than number 4, but also the inside box has a different layout. The rules booklet is also in purple.

On the last picture you see the flag standing, it is actually gold colored, as opposed to the other colors of the pieces you can see in the graveyards above.

Pieces material: plastic standing gates

Outside box: Purple

Year made: Estimated 1960s-1970s

• Losermaker likes this

#20 Losermaker

Losermaker

Captain

• Moderators
  • 937 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:45 PM

Not sure if that's just the photo quality, but that looks like a much loved and well used set ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users