Photo

Why are there so few platinum players online?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Captain

• Moderators
  • 806 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 06 February 2018 - 05:02 PM

I have got matched up with a silver player 4 times in a row in the last 2 days. It's impossible to increase my rating when I get +1 for every win. I have tried logging in at different hours but the problem remains. Let alone that it's very irritating to have to wait 20 minutes (has happened to me twice this week) to find an opponent. Honestly, where are all the 800+ players?

• Losermaker and KissMyCookie like this

Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.

#2 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Captain

• Moderators
  • 806 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 06 February 2018 - 05:04 PM

800+ would be the ideal match up, but frankly, right now even a gold player is more than welcome as it's been a while since I DIDN'T get matched up with a guy with rating around 400-450...

#3 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 06 February 2018 - 05:09 PM

As you ascend the great mountain, you will inevitably get a taste and a breath of the air up there!

It is a lot thinner, a bit cleaner, and certainly rarified at times, unless the base of your peak is starting in some industrial zone in the deepest corners of China.

So, Major Nelson, imagine how (in alphabetical order) Hielco, Losermaker, and Nortrom feel about what you have experienced. Keep going at it, point by point...you will keep getting

higher and further away,

and higher,

and higher,

and higher,

and higher,

and higher, until no one can see you anymore!

• rgillis783 and Major Nelson like this

#4 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 06 February 2018 - 05:11 PM

I have got matched up with a silver player 4 times in a row in the last 2 days. It's impossible to increase my rating when I get +1 for every win. I have tried logging in at different hours but the problem remains. Let alone that it's very irritating to have to wait 20 minutes (has happened to me twice this week) to find an opponent. Honestly, where are all the 800+ players?

P.S.–To answer your question: maybe they are too busy playing on alias accounts because they can't get matches with their platinums... ;)

• Luckypapa and Nortrom like this

#5 tobermoryx

tobermoryx

Major

• Moderators
  • 1,109 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted 06 February 2018 - 06:17 PM

I would say the reverse is true .

Every time a platinum player begins a new account that is gonna be about 70 ranked games they select that will match them with bronze etc instead of Major Nelson.

Of course there are not really many platinum players anyhow . I would guess about 150 at most that never drop below 700 ELO . Then maybe another 250 players that go in and out of it.

#6 Fks

Fks

Lieutenant

• NASF Committee
  • 688 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:09 PM

Last time I checked a rating of 841 gets you in to the top 250 on stratego leader boards. Take away the Alta and prob be a 200. There aren't that many 800 players to begin with :) Tho off the top of my head I know 5 who play atleast once a day with a rating of 800 +
  • KissMyCookie likes this
Proud Committee Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#7 tobermoryx

tobermoryx

Major

• Moderators
  • 1,109 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted 07 February 2018 - 05:01 AM

Nah , the platinum leader board has , at most , 50-60 players in it  , all the rest aliases .

Only just above 40 accounts of the top 250 played a ranked game last month , and those 40 odd accounts belong to perhaps 30 players or less.

• Fks likes this

#8 astros

astros

Stratego TM

• Other Tournaments Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Lieutenant

Posted 07 February 2018 - 05:30 AM

Nah , the platinum leader board has , at most , 50-60 players in it  , all the rest aliases .

Only just above 40 accounts of the top 250 played a ranked game last month , and those 40 odd accounts belong to perhaps 30 players or less.

That seems like a low estimate. There are roughly 750 platinum players. If there are only 75 unique platinum players, then the average platinum player has 10 accounts, though this number is likely higher as players who are on the cusp of platinum likely do not have 10 platinum level account. Looking at the alias register, the platinum players are declaring on average 3 accounts and roughly 30 platinum players have declared alias accounts. Therefore, the other 45 unique players average 15 accounts between them. This presents three possibilities:

1) Some people are complete shut-ins and play Stratego all day every day.

2) Most people on the alias register have multiple undeclared accounts

3) There are more unique platinum players.

While I suspect 1 and 2 are true to an extent, I believe option 3 to be the main reason.

Voted sexiest man alive by your mom.

#9 TheOptician

TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,794 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:16 AM

I agree with 3.

(I just skimmed the Top 100 from Hielco to Javier Flag and counted 46 unique players that I know of for sure).

#10 Nortrom

Nortrom

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,558 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:26 AM

Not finding a reasonable match within a reasonable time is guilty of this.

"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

#11 TheOptician

TheOptician

General

• Tournament Manager
  • 2,794 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 08 February 2018 - 02:10 AM

I decided to analyse the Top 250 in a little more detail, mainly because I can't get enough of shit like this. I know you can't tell.

Let's start with the known quantities - 'The Definites'. This group of players I am 99% sure are unique. Any aliases they have that are also in the Top 250 are listed to the right. If there are brackets around the player that is because their main account is not in the Top 250. There are 58 players on this list, but because you never know, I've estimated the number of unique players in this group at 57.

I6jTcaQ.png

I've decided to group the remainder by country, because it makes it easier to estimate. Generally speaking, aliases don't go to the trouble of changing their flag, with some notable exceptions. The smaller European Nations are up first (smaller by number, don't get offended).

Of the 3 Spaniards I couldn't decide between 1 or 2, so picked the middle ground. Same applies for the French duo.

While ACE68 is definitely a Belgian player, I don't know how many of the Belgian accounts belong to him (I suspect it could be 4 from the list) so have him here instead. There's also a lot of name and record similarity (particular with the number 68), so I opted for only 2.5 unique accounts.

With only 2 Germans on the definite list I don't think there are many here. However a few of them have played a large number of games (again something that aliases don't really bother to do too much - they would rather start again, as the whole alias appeal lessens when you've played 400 games and found your level). I opted for 3.5 unique accounts here.

xje7Nyf.png

Next up is the Israelis. This is made up of Laughing, Laughing's aliases, one genuine player., and a few more of Laughing's aliases. I'm not counting Laughing as a unique top 250 player because his ELO isn't legitimate.

veA5B33.png

Next up is the Dutch. Firstly I am impressed at the lack of Dutch aliases given the number of players. It seems like they are more likely to spend their time doing important things like improving their railway service than mess around undercover playing Stratego. Still, no player new to the game gets to 900 in under 100 matches, so we can rule out a few of these as unique. I've gone for 2.5 unique accounts.

As for the Rest of the World, 3 of the list have played a lot of games, so I've gone for 2.5.

QwkvGjz.png

Now for the tricky section, and I imagine this is where the most error will come in. The Greeks number 73 (that's with the definites already removed). If there is an award for the tendency to go undercover, there is no contest. To help I've split the Greeks at the 400 game line (typically recognised as the point of boredom where aliases hesitate to play further).

I've applied a 50% average likelihood to this group, which gives 9 unique accounts.
As for the 55 remaining Greek accounts with under 400 games, I've gone for 10 unique accounts at approximately 20% of the list. Maybe that's generous, maybe it's not.

5mxYGhi.png
HpuzEQ3.png

Finally, the same logic is applied to the cluster of US aliases split again at the 400 game line and using 50% for the top group and 20% for the bottom group.

iUJeran.png

SO

Add them all up and we get to.....wait for it.... 100, bang on. (Not engineered in the slightest). So there you go, case closed.

DISCLAIMER: When you cycle the leaderboards, some players get missed off. YourBiggestFan is a notable example.

• tobermoryx, Fairway, texaspete09 and 4 others like this

#12 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Captain

• Moderators
  • 806 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 08 February 2018 - 02:57 AM

Good job Charlie. :)

#13 tobermoryx

tobermoryx

Major

• Moderators
  • 1,109 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted 08 February 2018 - 03:01 AM

That is fantastic research . Though perhaps a little generous with the 1.5  etc estimates i think.

The ridiculous number of short name , lower case ,  Greek flag accounts grouped between 865 and 850 will belong to 1 player who has the aim of getting as many accounts on the leader board as possible .

The Spanish accounts will all be the same guy . The unknown Belgian ones probably too .

The amount of time 800+ level players spend building up aliases must be very significant .

And of course explains why Major Nelson has to wait around . 

So aliases are the cause of   'i had to wait for ages' rather than a solution.

• TheOptician likes this

#14 Fks

Fks

Lieutenant

• NASF Committee
  • 688 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:47 AM

Stratego in general doesn't have a big population of players sadly. I mentioned making the app free and advertising the app a little via Youtube Instagram Facebook and other social media platforms to get atleast a few thousand players on the site. I think it's crazy there are no Russians or Indians who wouldn't be interested in atleast giving Stratego a shot. I know there are way more Americans who would love Stratego who just don't know there is this platform that we have. (Me being a perfect example of that) Stratego just is not known enough in majority of Countries and I feel we lose a lot of potential players that way and there isn't much time to get new ones as board games are a dying faze.
  • Don_Homer and KissMyCookie like this
Proud Committee Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#15 Henry domerkant

Henry domerkant

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:52 AM

as i said multiple time i wait 10minutes many times while being little more than 800
I really cant imagine how frustrating ia for major nelson to play a match
we have played 3-4 ranked matches as oppoenets because we play different hours but when we came online together we usulaly met each other
That means that from 960-820 no player is online
Thats ridicoulous
Please stop this alias parody
Look at major nelson
Before some time he reached elo 1000 a great success for him
99/100 of players would take an other account to play ... For ever
He dirrectly started to play for even more
He failed
And i am sure that he will fail many times again and again
But i am alsosure that he will reach his goal
Thats how players must behave
Most players on this site when they reach marshall
They started playing once in a month or... never
Even me i faced the same situation with Major nelson ( with lower rnk)
Reached 916 but still playing for even more
I fell down even to 592( i know its funny) but before 10 days i was 870 and trying hard to reach and why not smash my best

Edited by Henry domerkant, 08 February 2018 - 10:55 AM.

• tobermoryx, ScottLafaro and Major Nelson like this

#16 ScottLafaro

ScottLafaro

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:15 AM

Exactly! This what I like about Napoleon 1e. He's always online, playing his first account.

I really get frustrated playing an alias. The moment the opponent displays 80 wins 18 losses ELO 546 I am not amused.

Please stop this alias parody

thus spoke zarathustra

#17 Napoleon 1er

Napoleon 1er

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,412 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:33 PM

Exactly! This what I like about Napoleon 1e. He's always online, playing his first account.

I really get frustrated playing an alias. The moment the opponent displays 80 wins 18 losses ELO 546 I am not amused.

...always playing my 2nd account. ... if one day Napoleon goes over apocalypse then apocalypse will play. The logic is there, there is strictly no advantage to have more than 2 aliases except for those who intentionnally want to scout setups.
If you don't know where you go ... you have a lot of chance to arrive elsewhere ...

#18 tobermoryx

tobermoryx

Major

• Moderators
  • 1,109 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Miner

Posted 08 February 2018 - 04:12 PM

Yes , there is no advantage so no need for aliases !

There is certainly no advantage to the site as a whole.

#19 roeczak

roeczak

Captain

• Tournament Manager
  • 758 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 08 February 2018 - 05:10 PM

When i played some ranked matches before my exams started , all i got was belgians with a rating of 700-750 who lottoed everything. I wonder who it is lol.

I also wonder who are all this dutch accounts who go for 900 to 500 and back in the blink of an eye. I also wonder how could someone go from 1000 to 1200 almost instantly since there are no platinums online lol .

For me , as long as there are so many aliases , the ranking on this site has no meaning at all, or very vague meaning(it is not a good tool for comparing players) My respect to players like Henry, Napoleon , malcom and Major Nelson who have to do with all this mess and play the vast majority of their games with their main account.

My .02
  • ScottLafaro and Major Nelson like this
If you enjoy stratego you might want to subscribe to Roeczak. Member of Stratego Captains Club. Actively trying to promote the game and would like to help in any activity towards that goal. Highest Rating : 898 (Platinum Marshal)

#20 don mitsos

don mitsos

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Captain

Posted 08 February 2018 - 06:01 PM

So the old issue of aliases is under discussion once again...

And once again nothing practical will be done about it...

And how would someone expect the alias issue to be solved when the people discussing it possess numerous accounts? Don't you think the whole situation is quite ironic?

Just food for thought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users