Nortrom

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,546 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:14 AM

I'm still missing my initial award that was handed out though  :huh:

Edit: Also my reply to his quoted message.

"Rock is overpowered, paper is fine" - scissors

#22 ☆OVERLORD☆

☆OVERLORD☆

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:37 AM

Very nice work Nortrom!
Keep going! 😁
  • Fks likes this

STRATEGO CAPTAINS CLUB ~ the strongest team of Greece

#23 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:10 AM

giphy.gif

Check out my Stratego Youtube channel ! :o

#24 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:00 AM

@Nortrom–Do not worry, sir, perhaps the original award posting will be restored as the item is in place in the recipient's response.

To the American, British, Dutch, and German players (texaspete09, Unladen Swallow, Nortrom, Grizzlybear) earning Player of the Year awards–congratulations! Well played, well done, and well earned!

Female Player of the Year award–It is said that, "If man is a great hunter, woman is a greater huntress." Kambia has always had the reputation of being one of this site's top players...and there are other female players with formidable skill. This must not have been an easy choice. Men, make no mistake, brilliance in this game is not gender designated, but it is a stroke of genius on Nortrom's part to have this category so as to bring awareness to the fairer sex, and perhaps instill a greater regard and respect for our female players. If I have come to understand anything about women, they may tell you not to recognize them by their gender, but just accept them as the human beings that they are. Congratulations, Kambia...well earned! An important and distinctive award.

Talent of the Year must have been a really tough call when you consider having to choose between Master Mind and Major Nelson–this is practically an impossible choice! Although, the fact that Major Nelson has Jeannie, I am sure he feels rather satisfied with just the recognition alone! Congratulations, Master Mind, and way to go Major Nelson!  :)

Worse Service than Dutch Railways–we must allow ourselves to feel gladness that this award was not terminated by MT (I know that GaryLShelton is all for some fun and horseplay, so long as things do not overstep their bounds), although I do not think that they will comment upon receiving this distinction anytime soon. Dare I say, congrats?  ;)

I Have to Put Up With These Idiots award–no comment. Congratulations, Gary.

Don't B.S. Me award–I think that many players on this site will agree that cheating, disconnecting, draw refusals, and a host of other egregious behaviors are unacceptable, and I cannot think of a reason why Unladen Swallow should not get this award as he is a great player that goes against the very grain of the sins aforementioned. If something smells fishy, and if it is Unladen Swallow offering this observation, you may be sure that there is good reason to investigate. Congratulations, Unladen Swallow, well done!

Video Content Maker of the Year award–This is another tough one! With some of the outstanding videos offered by members of this forum, we all benefit immeasurably! Now, with the addition of commentary from the likes of Fks, Fairway, Napoleon...and please, to our Greek brothers, please find a way to manage English language commentary...your videos are desperately needed with vocal commentary OR with english subtitles as does the Napster. Congratulations, Silverhammer–your reaction was the best and most infectious joy!

Devoted Fan of the Year award–Napster, I knew you were a fan of Scotch, but such a devoted fan of Hielco? Congratulations!

I humbly accept my award and offer my sincere gratitude to Nortrom for his generous recognition–thank you very much, Nortrom.

Fallacy of the Year award–'nuff said.

Middlefinger of the Year Towards MT award–We must admire and appreciate Nortrom's candor and determined honesty, to allow himself the opportunity to be recipient of this award in competition with a formidable adversary, Ouwesok. In the end, I am of the opinion that the award was well earned by the declared winner. Congratulations, Ouwesok, well earned...and, uh, no...you cannot decline to accept this awarded distinction.

Stratego Analysis Fanatic of the Year award–This is an inspired choice. Although a relative newbie, TemplateRex tends to offer excellent contributions, asks excellent questions, and shows a doggedness to developing his own skills in this game. Congratulations, TR! 

Bully of the Year Who Can't Take Heat from the Kitchen award–Most people don't realize that this award was almost not given because the panel was deadlocked in a hopeless situation. I suspect that it would have been Nortrom to hand down the judicious decision and we may be grateful that MisterTimRules is recognized. Congratulations, MTR!

Once again, a hearty thank you to Nortrom and a big congratulations to all of the recipients! Cheers ! ! !  :D

KMC

Edited by KissMyCookie, 06 February 2018 - 11:16 AM.

• Kambia and TemplateRex like this

#25 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:23 AM

Well, yes, candor and honesty in a fake world that is, then.

Nortrom, my dearest fellow Staff-member, I have just restored your great reply too. I can't see what all is edited as well but you say you've saved everything so it will be an easy task for you to do that yourself.

Dear folks,

As one of the most iconic forum writers, if not king of the forums, the great Sadistic, is no longer capable of making posts on here, it is important to keep certain traditions alive

Since you continuously keep referring to these ancient facts of Sadistic traditions (???) and WP's by MT (???) which happened when most here were still in diapers, let me engage all this fake news rhetoric, as trust me, it's needed. It really is.

Back in the old days there was no MT but a Justice Committee and apparantly this member Sadistic existed who got PB'd 5 years ago which was about the time I guess you were yourself PB'd at Alternative Playing Options so you two shifted seats. Here, you were still most welcome to play but as you refer to yourself, soon fell back into your old tricks and got reprimanded.

If you still have complaints about all those punishments 4 to 5 years ago, please refer yourself to Alternative Playing Options and for the said Clown-WP, refer yourself to our great Staff-member KARAISKAKIS who issued it back then for Inappropriate Language. I believe he is now a member in the WCO-team... must check about that... I will come back at this if needed if you wish.

Nowadays we would not WP a member for calling someone a clown. In fact, nowadays we've even got the most huge men in power for clowns. They are great. They really are. Nothing to give a WP over. Personally I award the Freedom of Speech thus have never silenced a sole in all my time in MT. I just check the facts and expose the fake news you bring.

But we would still WP someone who uses abusive and excessive swearing, and is changing words to get around our filter. Bullying someone even on to your profile settings is still unacceptable: we deem it unacceptable to personally attack other forum writers as we believe you should attack the issue at hand and not the person who is writing the post. All of this you've done back in the day, as you will remember, to deserve the WP.

So although none of us MT-members were remotely present at the time you blaim us for the punishment, I trust we would do it as well today. We can't have elitist favoratism, Nortrom. Believe me. We can't. This forum is for Bronzes as much as for Platinum uber Marshals.

The Awards you've got completely mixed up too. So now I'm going to eat my green biscuits which I got for winning the Last True Conservative Man Standing-Award. I'm real. Not fake. It's true.

Lo

#26 Fks

Fks

Lieutenant

• NASF Committee
  • 677 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:27 AM

Well, yes, candor and honesty in a fake world that is, then.

Nortrom, my dearest fellow Staff-member, I have just restored your great reply too. I can't see what all is edited as well but you say you've saved everything so it will be an easy task for you to do that yourself.

Since you continuously keep referring to these ancient facts of Sadistic traditions (???) and WP's by MT (???) which happened when most here were still in diapers, let me engage all this fake news rhetoric, as trust me, it's needed. It really is.

Back in the old days there was no MT but a Justice Committee and apparantly this member Sadistic existed who got PB'd 5 years ago which was about the time I guess you were yourself PB'd at Alternative Playing Options so you two shifted seats. Here, you were still most welcome to play but as you refer to yourself, soon fell back into your old tricks and got reprimanded.
If you still have complaints about all those punishments 4 to 5 years ago, please refer yourself to Alternative Playing Options and for the said Clown-WP, refer yourself to our great Staff-member KARAISKAKIS who issued it back then for Inappropriate Language. I believe he is now a member in the WCO-team... must check about that... I will come back at this if needed if you wish.
Nowadays we would not WP a member for calling someone a clown. In fact, nowadays we've even got the most huge men in power for clowns. They are great. They really are. Nothing to give a WP over. Personally I award the Freedom of Speech thus have never silenced a sole in all my time in MT. I just check the facts and expose the fake news you bring.
But we would still WP someone who uses abusive and excessive swearing, and is changing words to get around our filter. Bullying someone even on to your profile settings is still unacceptable: we deem it unacceptable to personally attack other forum writers as we believe you should attack the issue at hand and not the person who is writing the post. All of this you've done back in the day, as you will remember, to deserve the WP.
So although none of us MT-members were remotely present at the time you blaim us for the punishment, I trust we would do it as well today. We can't have elitist favoratism, Nortrom. Believe me. We can't. This forum is for Bronzes as much as for Platinum uber Marshals.
The Awards you've got completely mixed up too. So now I'm going to eat my green biscuits which I got for winning the Last True Conservative Man Standing-Award. I'm real. Not fake. It's true.

I trip heavy when ever I read your posts :)
  • GaryLShelton and TheOptician like this

Proud committee Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

Join here, http://forum.strateg...bers-join-here/

Youtube videos here, https://www.youtube....WbT-rTS9k_ntEnA

#27 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:40 AM

I award the Freedom of Speech thus have never silenced a sole in all my time in MT.

Hiho, Lonello! :)  For the most part this must be true, but a few items I have posted (visual aides) have disappeared, thus my freedom of speech (expression) seems in some question. Please know that I am usually very careful about such things and I do know very well intimate details concerning copyright and free use–if ever I may be of use, please let me know...I am at your service, sir!  ;)

KMC :lol:

#28 Nortrom

Nortrom

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,546 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:05 PM

"Nortrom, my dearest fellow Staff-member, I have just restored your great reply too. I can't see what all is edited as well but you say you've saved everything so it will be an easy task for you to do that yourself." 

I must offer you my sincere thanks, Lonello. It is good to see that justice and even in this case, common sense is defended and acted upon. While you are right it would be an easy task to do, one can easily see the part OS quoted and what's missing from the original post. As it was a MT member that took away a crucial part of this glorious post, I would like to offer MT the opportunity to restore this injustice so all can sleep well ;).

The annual Sadistic awards were mostly handed out on Meta / Alternative playing options (APO) site, I am not sure whether they were also handed out on here, I wouldn't be surprised. Perhaps the JC back then felt left out when no award was received? If I am not mistaken, by account on APO was disabled back in 2007, which is slightly more than 5 years ;).

Yes, KARAISKAKIS has offered his sincere apologies for the act you described about the WP. Of course I still remind him every now and then as friendly banter :)

"Nowadays we would not WP a member for calling someone a clown. In fact, nowadays we've even got the most huge men in power for clowns." You are absolutely right, I didn't think you'd have the courage to refer to your MT colleagues in this manner, but bravo! Also, I must admit to appreciating your effort for freedom of speech a lot. Not only is this a funademental thing, but also a very important condition for discussions to take place.

I am glad to take notice that your opinion is that there is no difference between bronze players or platinum marshals in the way they are to be treated, I trust that this also is the opinion of MT. Equal treatment is very much required. We're not all the same (Thank whoever you believe in), but we are equal :).

@ KMC

You should definitely become a forum commentator, you seem to be very observant and also offer some insights one can only smile at, without, as far as I recall, ever seeing a single vulgar word.

• KissMyCookie likes this

#29 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:04 AM

Since you continuously keep referring to these ancient facts of Sadistic traditions (???) 

Hiho, Lonello! May I would like to ask you, please, who was this person who called himself 'Sadistic' (apparently there are some who know of him and thought he was basically making good posts) and do you recall why he was banned? It makes for a good cautionary example. Thanks.

#30 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:10 AM

You two really need to read my thrilling posts, or better, read them so well you trip over them like apparantly Fks and Theo do. On point, I have no clue. I was still in my diapers when all of that happened. It was all before anyone currently in MT's time. It was even before MT's time itself. You should ask a dinosaur, Cookie. As for the clown-comment, important people... VERY important people, my predecessors, told me it was not at all about that. It was about what I wrote in my tripping post. So I can't really take all the credit for the trip. True story.

To both, again, apparantly this has happened then:

One Mod took it down today which is in his prerogative rights to do so. But we overturned the action so there's no problem there and as the community knows, MT always reacts very swift.

I take it Staff can see whoever hid the posts so Nortrom will be fully aware... simply check with him as for the editing... that part we can not see so I can not recover anything (while normally there is an edit quote in). This is why I myself keep completely clean from ever editing. Never done such for that principle, and also I am always for keeping posts up as much as can be for one can still witness and judge the written for themselves (see all the BLABLA's are still up and running).

Let me help out here. I can see there must have been a clear edit with the Dutch award. There's a blanco line. This is always a signal to all that there's been an edit. And indeed, everybody knows it's Garulfo who won that Award for being the current WC while Nortrom did not even make top-10. True story. Just ask KARAISKAKIS again if you don't believe me. He organized the WC. He really did. Trust me. He did.

The right Award that is missing there is that of the Fake News-Award. That one he surely won. Maybe you were Number 2 there, I don't know, but if there were to be restored posts from you, MT has never heard about such before. So there has also been zero silencing involved which is why Nortrom truly deserved the Fake News-Award. I do still want to congratulate him for that although it indeed seems to be missing because of all that editing.

So...: well done! It's great. It's absolutely fantastic. There are great, great clowns that get that Award too, I can tell you that much. I really can. Huge ones. It's true. Believe me. It is. (True story).

Lo

#31 Nortrom

Nortrom

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,546 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:25 AM

Dear Lonello,

On behalf of the awards team, I would like to remind you that the winner of the 'Dutch player of the year' award was unable to participate in the live WC 2017 and thus was not able to qualify for a top 10 finish and definitely not winning the title.

As for the edit / blank line, I honestly don't know why the forum software does this, it did the same in between 'worse than Dutch Railways' and 'best female player'. I have tried editing the blank lines several times but to no avail - I did just try it again on a different browser and now it did work. The award that was taken out by a fellow MT member of yours was in between '"Video content maker of the year" and "Fan of the year". The blank lines were caused by something wrong on the forum software, I guarantee. I guarantee.

"I take it Staff can see whoever hid the posts so Nortrom will be fully aware" actually - no - I can not see this on any forums but WCO.

The fake-news award has been adopted by the awards team and from what I've heard, you will definitely make top three when the next awards will be handed out. The post hidden was this one: http://forum.strateg...wards/?p=446175 and it has been restored, which I, again on behalf of the awards team, thanked you for. 

The MT member that edited the middle finger award out has been asked on two occasions to restore the post to its original state, but so far no action has been taken, again, proving the "Worse service than Dutch Railways" to be a fully deserved reward.

#32 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:32 AM

You two really need to read my thrilling posts, or better, read them so well you trip over them like apparantly Fks and Theo do.

This would be a perfect example of a kind of "tripping"–and if you are able to help readers achieve this level of trip, then you should really feel good because, truthfully, it is an achievement of your ability to create vivid images and ideas! I like it, Lo...I like it!!! :D

1152301.gif

#33 Lonello

Lonello

General

• Honorary members
  • 2,226 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Marshal

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:42 PM

You were right here:

I'm still missing my initial award that was handed out though   :huh:

But naturally, that initial Award was the Fake News Award. If Garulfo did not win the Dutch award, it's totally rigged. I've got a Dutch Memo right here saying you deserve another Award and not this one.

bwaaahahhahahhaaaaaaa

And another Dutch Memo here:

I nominate Nortrom for "Most problems with autority award"

This makes 100% of the Dutch contributions here, which is why I know.

There must have been a hack. Trust me. There must have been. There should be an investigation if the Award Team had any collusion with the Russians. 

You got the Fake News Award for mentioning things like above. And also about forum software. There's nothing wrong with the forum software. There never was. Believe me. In MT realm I am often referred to as the Quoting King. Trust me. I am. So I know. The only place you need to be is on the end of the next line and then Back Space. It's on your typing machine, this button. Trust me. It is.

I was watching TV last night and actually my mind came on to you. This is a real story. Believe me. And it's not because it was about trolls. It's the Fake News Show which I never knew it existed but it does: https://www.youtube....h?v=9fpHsgNo37w. I am confident you are a ghost writer of the show. Believe me. I am.

It's got all the right topics, all the best comments. It even had an interview in with The Donald. It's a great interview. It's huge. Trust me. It is. Watch the whole show, not just this part about grabbing 'em by the trolls. Guaranteed recommended. Trust me.

re.

Lo

#34 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:18 PM

hqdefault.jpg

Check out my Stratego Youtube channel ! :o

#35 Nortrom

Nortrom

Colonel

• Moderators
  • 1,546 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:52 AM

You know very well that it refers to the award that was edited out by a MT member. I've asked, for the 3rd time, this member of MT to restore the post to its original state, but no action seem to be taken. Could you remind him in a friendly manner? 

I'm glad to hear that, unlike me, you've had no negative encounters with the forum software. 

After a discussion with the awards team I'd like to proudly announce that we've adopted the " troll of the year " award to be handed out next time. We initially expected the " fallacy of the year "  award to be enough to satisfy your ego and need for recognition.

#36 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:00 AM

Awards Interview #1

Greetings, Forum members and interested parties. Here, I present a statement from the esteemed Unladen Swallow, who won this year's Don't BS Me award. Many of you already know of this formidable talent who has ravaged many an opponent on the battlefield, as well as crusading for justice and fair-play with his critical view of cheaters and liars. When asked the following question, he articulated his response:

lVjZITu.png

Unladen Swallow is from England

KMC: What are your feelings about receiving the Don't BS Me award?

UNLADEN SWALLOW: I sincerely thank the...Forum Union and those who were involved to present me this award. It is a great honour that this accolade is bestowed upon me. While it may seem negative at first, there is a positive message, too. It means I have been recognised as someone who's not easily fooled. I'm also passionate about anti-chasing rules being implemented, and also combatting the alias issue Stratego.com has also.

(End of reply).

We thank Unladen Swallow for allowing us to publish his reply as it does remind us of some of the pressing issues which are being discussed on the forum.

KMC :)

Edited by KissMyCookie, 14 February 2018 - 11:58 AM.

• Kambia likes this

#37 TemplateRex

TemplateRex

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Lieutenant

Posted 10 February 2018 - 12:02 AM

[removed]

Edited by TemplateRex, 10 February 2018 - 12:11 AM.

#38 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:48 AM

Awards Interview #2

Greetings, dear reader, as we continue to follow The Forum Awards recipients over roads most surprising. On this occasion, this writer could not have predicted the response generously offered by the looming figure of the brilliant player, OVERLORD. His standing as one of this site’s top players (with all of the aliases cluttering the leaderboard, it requires the highly advanced skills of a person such as TheOptician to make any sense and determination as to who is where on the site’s official board–don mitsos must be shaking his head right now), but OVERLORD ranks towards the top 10 only surpassed by the likes of Hielco, Nortrom, and Losermaker! In spite of the sparring that this author has had on occasion with OVERLORD in this forum (many a bystander have misconceived our exchanges and have misjudged communications, lacking understanding), I have always had respect for the young man’s Stratego skills–now, I have witnessed a side of him and am sanguine about his future as a leading *champion. (More on that at the closing of this post).

The question was asked to a group of winners representing various countries–

IlRQF5c.jpg

OVERLORD is from Greece.

KMC: What is your reaction to being awarded Player of the Year, for your respective countries, in this most recent edition of The Forum Awards?

OVERLORD: "First, I would like to thank all of those responsible for these awards. It is my honor to be awarded Player of the Year for my homeland! The truth is that I love Stratego a lot, and although my free time is very limited, I always find some time for my favorite hobby–I'm glad that the result of the time invested is this award. Stratego is my "drug."

However, I also want to thank my team, “Stratego Captains,” because I train with them, too: online or in a live match, they raise my morale and spirits by challenging me with anything.

I often think about something: a very good player that is on a very high level will always have something to learn and to improve, even from the weakest player. The learning never stops.

Thank you very much…"

(end of reply)

*Champions are not merely at the top in their respective forms of competitive practices (keeping things in a positive context, sports and games), but they are supposed to represent something more than conquering their rivals: coming from Old French, from medieval Latin campio(n-) ‘fighter,’ an individual could champion a cause or defend an individual's reputation; in short, it was also predicated upon a mission of honor, and true honor knows no arrogance. From OVERLORD’s reply, we may see a young man on his path to becoming a true champion in the fullest sense of the word, and in a world such as ours, even we, the Forum Members, would benefit from those who would champion us.

KMC

(This is an English language forum, however, as many of OVERLORD’s compatriots are Greek, as a courtesy, his original language reply is offered here, the author performed the translation from the original Greek into English, and received OVERLORD’s approval. Here is the original Greek language reply:

Καλησπέρα.

Αρχικά θα ήθελα να ευχαριστήσω όλους τους αρμόδιους για αυτά τα βραβεία. Είναι τιμή μου να χαρακτηρίζομαι παίχτης της χρονιάς για την πατρίδα μου! Η αλήθεια είναι ότι το stratego το αγαπώ πολύ και παρόλο που ο ελεύθερος χρόνος μου είναι πολύ περιορισμένος, εγώ βρίσκω πάντα λίγο χρόνο για το αγαπημένο μου χόμπι και χαίρομαι που όλο αυτό έχει το καλύτερο αποτέλεσμα. Το Stratego είναι το "ναρκωτικό μου".

Ωστόσο θέλω να ευχαριστήσω και την ομάδα μου Stratego Captains διότι προπονούμαι και μαζί τους πολύ, είτε διαδικτυακά είτε ζωντανά και ανεβάζουν το ηθικό και την ψυχολογία στηρίζοντάς με στο οτιδήποτε.

Προσωπικά, πιστεύω πολύ σε κάτι: ακόμα και ένας πολύ καλός παίχτης σε ένα πολύ υψηλό επίπεδο, πάντα θα έχει κάτι να πάρει για να βελτιώσει, ακόμα και από τον πιο αδύναμο παίχτη. Η μάθηση δεν σταματάει ποτέ.

Ευχαριστώ θερμά…).

• Kambia and ☆OVERLORD☆ like this

#39 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:04 AM

Awards Interview #3

On this occasion, dear reader, we hear from a relative “Newbie” who managed to earn recognition and an award for simply following his dream–he is a passionate and devoted fan of strategy based games (it would not surprise this author if he also enjoys a good mystery yarn, and a treasure hunt story filled with ancient puzzles and riddles), and has developed a ravenous appetite for Stratego. We may all be grateful for this as his continued quest for knowledge provides countless opportunities for discussion in the forum, ways in which to propagate interest for this game, and even ways in which to help improve on-site conditions of game-play and conduct for Stratego fans.

One must consider the fact that TemplateRex is in highly esteemed company when it comes to the analysis and the submission of examples to open discussion of the subject of this most challenging game. Names that come to this author’s mind (I will let TemplateRex speak for himself as he has sources of inspiration he is sharing) are TheOptician, whose painstaking and meticulous studies/spreadsheets are a marvel and a wealth of resource; one may find online a thesis, Invincible-A Stratego Bot, (not directly about Stratego game-play, nevertheless, an influential piece) written by Vincent de Boer; even our very own josephwhite, who if memory serves me correctly, published a percentage table of where pieces are most likely to be placed on the board (OuweSok has developed this into his successful YouTube series Broken Pieces in which I believe he was able to use the actual josephwhite tables to good effect). So, with such illustrious company shared, TemplateRex was asked the following question:

aiyG3Cc.png

TemplateRex is from The Kingdom of Templates

in the Space Time Continuum

KMC: What is your reaction to receiving this award (Stratego Analysis Fanatic of the Year) among such an illustrious group of recipients, practically being a "Newbie," but clearly being a sharp and devoted fan of Stratego?

TemplateRex: I'm grateful that one of the game's all time greats (Nortrom) even took notice of my fledgling attempts at mastering the game. I'm certainly a fanatic, and I will continue to analyse as much as possible here on this forum.

While I am grateful for the award, I do believe that others made much better analytic contributions to this forum last year. Ouwesok in particular (his game theory post, initial piece value discussion and his Broken Pieces series) has been a source of inspiration to me. Napoleon 1er's latest YouTube videos with subtitles have been awesome learning material as well.

And to be slightly ungrateful (biting the hand that feeds me :rolleyes: ), in an ideal world, I believe that it should have been Nortrom himself. I come from perfect information board games, and there the game's greats all have made great analytic contributions as well (in chess: Bobby Fisher's My 60 most memorable Games, Kasparov's My Great Predecessor series, in draughts: Dutch former world champion Ton Sijbrands many books and magazine articles).

So my attempts at analysis are by necessity as there is almost zero training material out there. I find this astonishing. In chess, Go as well as bridge and poker, there are tons of high-quality books on how to approach the game. You might not learn the absolute world caliber secrets of the game, but you can come pretty close. In Stratego, the silence is deafening.

So to cut a longer than expected rant short, I hope people like Nortrom (please post more analysis on your blog!) and Morx (please finish your book!) and all the other high platinum players will share more of their knowledge and skills!

(end of reply)

We benefit here yet again from his generous answer. In fact, giving credit where credit is due speaks volumes of TemplateRex’s character, integrity, and dedication. One may read his posts and understand immediately that, although he is motivated by his voracious need for learning, ultimately it is his selfless devotion and his sharing that are a tremendous source of inspiration. These are the qualities upon which all good things are built, and there is no doubt in my mind that TemplateRex will be advancing into the highest levels of Stratego in due time.

KMC

Edited by KissMyCookie, 19 February 2018 - 09:24 AM.

• Kambia and TemplateRex like this

#40 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Marshal

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:27 PM

Awards Interview #4

Greetings, dear reader. This time, we managed to set a trap and snare another Player of the Year award winner. Although he often remains concealed in his protective woods, perhaps even in the majestic, mysterious, and magnificent Schwarzwald (The Black Forest), you may find yourself paired with this beast of a player and you may be sure to feel the anxiety and nervousness that goes when meeting one of the most formidable players on this site. He has participated in numerous tournaments and consistently brings a top quality game to his opponents when on the Stratego battlefield.

This author got the strong impression that our player is humble and gracious, and in fact, this is an important quality of character which is easily admired. I was fortunate enough to receive his response and it is offered here to our readers:

The question was asked to a group of winners representing various countries–

BU5DA6n.jpg

Grizzlybear is from Germany.

KMC: What is your reaction to being awarded Player of the Year, for your respective countries, in this most recent edition of The Forum Awards?

Grizzlybear: I give many, many thanks for receiving this award.

I know that there are many other German players who deserve this award, too. I am not the best German player, but maybe I gave the best performance in the last year, here on Stratego.com–so I will cherish this award as representative for my country.

(End of reply).

To be considered the best or at the top of something is really a great honor, and it never fails to inspire this author when these very same people, who become celebrated, wear their mantel with such grace, dignity, and modesty. They are not loud, there are not prideful, and they are not vain–they often offer their thanks and include others who may or may not be a part of their lives directly; but these individuals, these winners recognize that they are a part of something bigger and that their role is one of contributing to the overall success of that “Big Picture.” Grizzlybear’s seemingly simple gratitude reflects those aforementioned virtues. If I were traveling in the darkest woods, and I was in search of help, and I were to meet up with a sleuth of bears, I would want them all to be like our esteemed Grizzlybear–then I know I would not be in harm’s way, but in the best of “hands.”

KMC

• Kambia likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users