Bassictman

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 26 January 2018 - 03:44 AM

Hello. I have only been on this site for a coupe of days. My brother and I never  finish a game because his buffer always runs out due to SOMETIMES slowness of responses of not being able to move pieces. He is still investigating the slowness but we were wondering if there is any way (if the parties CHOOSE) that the game can be played with out a buffer. Didn't know if the creators of this game site can implement a "CHOICE" as to be able to play with one or not..  It would benefit not only those who are experiencing slowness ...but also for people that would like to THINK and strategize more (like chess)   and not have to worry about looking and worrying about time constraints. Timers are great for tournament players, and those who choose to play by time limitations, but what about the novice  who wants to play for fun and not worry about time?.  Shouldn't they be able to have that option?  . POGO scrabble offers that choice and was wondering if Stratego can do the same. Thank you.  Tom

#2 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,209 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:56 AM

Tom, as everyone knows who's been around the site for a while there probably won't be any changes in programming in any area, no matter how good the ideas. There just isn't any attention to the site in that way.

Having said that, to answer your question there is no option for the buffer to be any different than it is currently. In my opinion it's a fairly good number for this online site. That's because if you get the number any smaller it does make this less of a thinking game, and if you get it any bigger it opens Pandora's Box on bad sportsmanship by people who often allow their buffers to just dwindle to zero when they begin losing.

Some have asked for a large buffer such as 12 to 14 minutes but that's a lot more time for a bad player to put a good one through the mill. Your unlimited buffer would be far worse, although I understand your intent would be a game where both people agree to that. I guess my thinking is that I would like to, as much as possible, see everyone playing the same game with the same rules. Then the only difference is skill in the one game.

That's my two cents anyway.

It's always a nice topic to discuss the timers.

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#3 Bassictman

Bassictman

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 28 January 2018 - 04:52 AM

Tom, as everyone knows who's been around the site for a while there probably won't be any changes in programming in any area, no matter how good the ideas. There just isn't any attention to the site in that way.

Having said that, to answer your question there is no option for the buffer to be any different than it is currently. In my opinion it's a fairly good number for this online site. That's because if you get the number any smaller it does make this less of a thinking game, and if you get it any bigger it opens Pandora's Box on bad sportsmanship by people who often allow their buffers to just dwindle to zero when they begin losing.

Some have asked for a large buffer such as 12 to 14 minutes but that's a lot more time for a bad player to put a good one through the mill. Your unlimited buffer would be far worse, although I understand your intent would be a game where both people agree to that. I guess my thinking is that I would like to, as much as possible, see everyone playing the same game with the same rules. Then the only difference is skill in the one game.

That's my two cents anyway.

It's always a nice topic to discuss the timers.

OK .....Thanks for the response. I was just asking because on Pogo scrabble  there are choices as to whether to play under a tournament timer. or a timer where (if both parties choose)  you can extend as long as it takes to think out a good play (with no penalties). It also has different room levels for players to play in their own skill levels. It's  a little disappointing  that different skill level rooms could not be made available  (each having a different  buffer option) and that way  you know what you are getting into  without surprises of a new (fast player) and (less skilled player ) intermixing.  (Not everyone has a quick thinking strategic mind,) and the ones that don't, there may be  a possibility of losing them or NOT joining at all due to intimidation of not having a choice to play someone at THEIR skill speed.   Since I am new here, I just posed the question  because I was just wondering if there was ever a possibility of something similar ever happening here. I would just think that the more choices on a timer that there is available, the more variety of players you may have playing at speeds that everyone is happy with. (once both parties agree upon it).  Anyway, thank you for making this game available.  I am 58 and my brother who lives 2000 miles away  is a few years older, and when we were kids  WE WORE THE DAYLIGHTS OF THIS GAME.  As of this week, this is the 1st time we are both playing this game since the early 1970's.  This version on line is bringing back a lot of great memories for us both. On a different note....... I really appreciate the quick response that you gave as well. Lastly.......I know that the possibility is slim, but I guess that there is no harm in me hoping that "Maybe" someday  the buffer suggestions will have some considerations in variations. Thanks again for the congenial response .   Tom . 

#4 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,209 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:56 AM

You and I are amazingly similar. For one, I'm 58 also and played this with a brother in my household growing up. He hasn't been to this site but I've been here since late 2012. Last Thanksgiving I brought my old Milton-Bradley copy home to play and that was my first time on an actual board game in a number of years. After those games I really appreciate one thing online and that's the pre-made setups! Couldn't believe how people played at Thanksgiving. They were all around ELO 100, poor cousins... :) It was the first time I have been the best at stratego anywhere. :)

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...604#entry339604

#5 Bassictman

Bassictman

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 29 January 2018 - 03:21 AM

You and I are amazingly similar. For one, I'm 58 also and played this with a brother in my household growing up. He hasn't been to this site but I've been here since late 2012. Last Thanksgiving I brought my old Milton-Bradley copy home to play and that was my first time on an actual board game in a number of years. After those games I really appreciate one thing online and that's the pre-made setups! Couldn't believe how people played at Thanksgiving. They were all around ELO 100, poor cousins... :) It was the first time I have been the best at stratego anywhere. :)

LOL  yeah  i STILL have the pieces that shaped lime dominoes. Some of the gold and silver faces you can barely see anymore. SOOOO often if we bumped the table, they would  fall over and would have to yell out "DON'T LOOK"  while we set them back up  Here is another idea you can try with the BOARD version. My brother and I  (for something different)  would play (what WE called)  "Mad Scramble".  Here's the idea...........Place ALL pieces face down. Now as you pick one up, place it on the last row in the corner on  square # 1. Next piece  do the same with square Number 2  then number 3  and so on until all pieces are set up. THEN  you play with whatever set up you have. Was Crazily fun and some of the atrocity setups that came about made you scratch your head  and laugh  saying  OHHH BOYYY   What the heck am I going to do with this?. (Naturally  if the flag winds up in the front row, you Re-set everything)  Pretty crazy  but for something different once in a while it was FUN  and challenging in a DIFFERENT WAY    

#6 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 5,209 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Major

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:03 AM

Here's an old commercial I have to admit I remember live on TV back as a lad. I was not quite as old as the boys in the video, when this thing aired. Do you remember it?

https://youtu.be/Q6tsYmadTAU

(Note the two different piece sets they used in the commercial. I happen to have both. Funny but they use both in separate quick shots. Can you tell?)

Here's another cute video of Hitler playing Stratego if you haven't seen it.

https://youtu.be/0pJYuYKjnBI

I've actually seen this same Hitler video used for other things. It's very flexible. But it's a totally hilarious spot with stratego as the theme. :)

That sounds quite challenging, your way of playing stratego. I can see it being totally chaos.

One thing my brother and I used to do was play two games that we would place side by side, effectively making a 200 square game with double everything including 2 Flags.

Interestingly--I think today--we called this thing "Jumbo Stratego" without any knowledge whatsoever of the Jumbo company.

#7 Bassictman

Bassictman

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Bronze Spy

Posted 30 January 2018 - 04:36 AM

Here's an old commercial I have to admit I remember live on TV back as a lad. I was not quite as old as the boys in the video, when this thing aired. Do you remember it?

https://youtu.be/Q6tsYmadTAU

(Note the two different piece sets they used in the commercial. I happen to have both. Funny but they use both in separate quick shots. Can you tell?)

Here's another cute video of Hitler playing Stratego if you haven't seen it.

https://youtu.be/0pJYuYKjnBI

I've actually seen this same Hitler video used for other things. It's very flexible. But it's a totally hilarious spot with stratego as the theme. :)

That sounds quite challenging, your way of playing stratego. I can see it being totally chaos.

One thing my brother and I used to do was play two games that we would place side by side, effectively making a 200 square game with double everything including 2 Flags.

Interestingly--I think today--we called this thing "Jumbo Stratego" without any knowledge whatsoever of the Jumbo company.

Yes I VIVIDLY remember the classic commercial with the crabby kid at the end. It's what encouraged us to the game The Hitler stratego one....... never saw it, but like you. I have seen so many OTHER versions of this skit. Also too bad my brother lives sooo far away. Would LOVE to try the Double board one. Sounds GREAT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users