Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:09 PM

Idk what is up with me I seem to lose to every single game vs silver players in ranked. I beat 2 platinum players then lose to a silver. game has to stop matching me to silvers/ bronze omfg. It is very annoying to build up just to lose 24 points to a bronze/silver player. In the past 2 days i have probably lost 7 games to silver/ bronze. dropped me from 792 to 720. I am done for tonight bec just wtf.

If you want to be matched up with players close to your ELO,  just cancel game search after 20 seconds and start again.  The higher you go up, the harder it is to find quality opponents to play.  Unfortunately, searching this way can take a very, very long time.  Hopefully, all the youtube videos being posted with commentary will make a lot of the lower level players much better and attract new players to the game.  A perfect example is Bestofboth.

• Fairway, Bestofboth and Unladen Swallow like this

My Youtube Stratego Channel: https://www.youtube....cGDvlZZkGbgq0LA

#22 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,268 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:52 PM

dropped me from 792 to 720.

Your badge shows you are ranked 210. In case you didn't know it, you have to sign out and then back in to the forum to update your badge to your current higher rank.

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#23 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,201 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Colonel

Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:58 PM

Your badge shows you are ranked 210. In case you didn't know it, you have to sign out and then back in to the forum to update your badge to your current higher rank.

Gary, he recently had his Fks account reset so it's 12-3 with 210 or something like that, but he achieved 792 on his "=" account (the account I played his on for my video) yesterday.

WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series! :D

#24 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:10 PM

Fks i know what you mean. I went from gold marshal down to 535. I kept beating gold players but losing to silver ones. I go up & down like a yo-yo. I find that if I play silver then I have to use a different setup & play style to what I would use playing Vs high gold players.

Yes I have built a set up from ouwesok's tips of spy middle and middle flag. I went on a bit of a rant last night was pretty pissed lol. 

Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#25 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:13 PM

Fks you are a very aggressive and intuitive player who makes plays based on his reads and are very dangerous when your reads are good. The key to beating you is by giving you false impressions of where pieces are and allowing you to make mistakes.
The silver player can make plays that you consider "bad" and therefore your mind blocks them out. That is an error from your part. You must think how they think.

So use a setup that is lotto-proof and move smaller scouting pieces in the early game to accumulate a hard info advantage.
Silver players are simply less skilled in hiding their big pieces and with some bluffs you should be able to expose various of their main pieces.

When you have built up enough hard info, then is the time to start moving your big pieces and attack.

Thank you for letting everyone know how to beat me :P And yes I think I lose to theo a lot especially in end game since he very good at masking his pieces imo. I will see how i do today.

#26 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:16 PM

We all have cold streaks. I remember two years ago I reached a high of 321, silver scout, and I was so excited to reach silver- then I promptly fell down to bronze lieutenant. In fact it took me another 3 months before I reached silver again. Although I know that you are a much more explosive player than that, and you will rebound almost immediately, because of your play-style. 

Take a brake from ranked for a day or two. Play friendlies. Play friendlies against not only gold/platinum players, but also against bronze/silver players. This is get you practice against their tactics without causing you to lose points.

I agree with OuweSok. If you guess my pieces correctly? For me, that is when you are impossible to stop. And you guess well, too- that's why you're 8-2 against me. I only got the better of you in our game yesterday.

But also, don't let defeats against silver/bronze get you down. Make a new setup, after playing silver/bronze friends, dedicated entirely to these players and their tactics. 

Don't forget that you are a good player, and don't be frustrated simply because bronze players get lucky and get the better of you. Don't forget about your great wins. Yesterday you told me you beat gkaros. That is great! Don't forget about that when you get down. Just be patient, take a break, and figure out what to do against these players. 

Last night i streaked loss but I am still doing ok vs gold low plat.  I will lower "&" to low silver and play some ranked thanks for advice.

#27 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:19 PM

I remember when fks used to play like a coward :D

low key influenced me to hit everything that moves :P

• Unladen Swallow likes this

#28 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:20 PM

If you want to be matched up with players close to your ELO,  just cancel game search after 20 seconds and start again.  The higher you go up, the harder it is to find quality opponents to play.  Unfortunately, searching this way can take a very, very long time.  Hopefully, all the youtube videos being posted with commentary will make a lot of the lower level players much better and attract new players to the game.  A perfect example is Bestofboth.

It is more of like 11 pm our time to 4 am no one is on. 

#29 maxroelofs

maxroelofs

Major

• Members
  • 1,148 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:52 PM

Congratzzz!

• Bestofboth likes this
To watch stratego videos: https://www.youtube....HOHXWONQMsVcOLA

#30 MTinsley

MTinsley

Sergeant

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:19 PM

I remember when I first reached platinum too. It is a huge accomplishment.

Well done!
  • Bestofboth likes this

#31 Losermaker

Losermaker

Captain

• Moderators
  • 961 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:48 PM

Great job!

2.5 years is a great improvement, and though it may seem like you aren't as good as the 'big guns' you are making rapid improvement. 2018 marks my 8th year playing the game, it took me a long time to learn all the different aspects of this very complex game. The main key IMO to becoming a great player is to never stop looking for ways to improve, there is always something you can work and improve on. I find there are a lot of people with great potential, but they get to a level, feel quite achieved, and stick to the tactics that got them there and never move up no matter if they play for another 2, 4 or 8 years.

But if you keep on the same learning curve you have been, by looking for good info and tips (you sound like you are doing a great job with that already ;)) and trying new stuff, then by the next year or two you could very easily find yourself nearing 900+

Gl with your games, hf and enjoy the stratcoaster ;)

Losermaker

• Fks likes this

#32 Bestofboth

Bestofboth

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:12 AM

Great job!

2.5 years is a great improvement, and though it may seem like you aren't as good as the 'big guns' you are making rapid improvement. 2018 marks my 8th year playing the game, it took me a long time to learn all the different aspects of this very complex game. The main key IMO to becoming a great player is to never stop looking for ways to improve, there is always something you can work and improve on. I find there are a lot of people with great potential, but they get to a level, feel quite achieved, and stick to the tactics that got them there and never move up no matter if they play for another 2, 4 or 8 years.

But if you keep on the same learning curve you have been, by looking for good info and tips (you sound like you are doing a great job with that already ;)) and trying new stuff, then by the next year or two you could very easily find yourself nearing 900+

Gl with your games, hf and enjoy the stratcoaster ;)

Losermaker

Thanks for this, Losermaker.

after 715 games to reach Platinum I was going to take a break & start all over from Bronze spy to see how many games it would take to get back to Platinum.

However you have now convinced me that although reaching platinum was my long term goal it is now time to set my sights higher. So I will keep learning & studying new ways to play & improve. 

My new goal will be to reach 800.

Thanks again for your advice.

• Losermaker and Master Mind like this

#33 Silverhammer

Silverhammer

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Miner

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:09 AM

Glad our videos could help!

• Bestofboth likes this

#34 DarthRemark

DarthRemark

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:38 AM

Wow!  It really makes me feel good to know my comments meant something to you.  Congrats on reaching your goal!  Now it's time to set your sights higher.   :)

• Dobby125, Bestofboth, OuweSok and 1 other like this

#35 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:22 PM

Wow!  It really makes me feel good to know my comments meant something to you.  Congrats on reaching your goal!  Now it's time to set your sights higher.   :)

Yeah that sure was an epic and useful review of my first game.

Check out my Stratego Youtube channel ! :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users