Bestofboth

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:30 PM

After just beating a player with an ELO of 726 I have just reached Platinum for the first time, and I would like to thank everyone on the forum for getting me there.

Although this is no big deal to the big guns out there, for me this is massive.

I started playing 2.5 years ago around the same time Maxoscity starting posting videos as Silverhammer & I set myself the goal back then of reaching Platinum.  It has been a fun but very hard struggle.

I have been slow to progress going up a rank but then getting knocked back down 3 ranks. I have had 15 game losses in a row along with 18 wins in a row.

I am only a mere fire fighter from London & thought I could never make Platinum, however I read the forum every day & most importantly I have studied every video & comment ever posted. I even have piles & piles of notes that I have made from forum members which became my building blocks to climb the ranks.

With new videos being added all the time from the likes of Napoleon1ER, OuweSok, Maxoscity & Groundbob to name but a few I watched them over & over trying to get into the players minds.

My breakthrough came after watching OuweSoks first video where Darthremark made numerous comments in a forum post. I studied these comments (which GaryLShelton said were worth paying for- I agree) & it was then that it all started to make sense to me. 

So once again I would like to thank every contributor to the forum for all the fantastic videos & posts.

Anyone can make Platinum if I can, so good luck to all the hundreds of players who are climbing & falling down the ladder with me. 

Bestofboth

• GaryLShelton, Don_Homer, Losermaker and 10 others like this

#2 Dobby125

Dobby125

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Silver Major

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:45 PM

Anyone can make Platinum if I can, so good luck to all the hundreds of players who are climbing & falling down the ladder with me. 

Bestofboth

Congratulations!  Don't put yourself down.  Not everybody can do it.  It's hard and most players fail.  Be very proud of your accomplishment.

• Bestofboth likes this

My Youtube Stratego Channel: https://www.youtube....cGDvlZZkGbgq0LA

#3 tobermoryx

tobermoryx

Major

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:51 PM

Great post !

#4 Bestofboth

Bestofboth

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:58 PM

Great post !

#5 Bestofboth

Bestofboth

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:59 PM

Tobermoryx. I've watched all of your vids too. Thanks.

#6 Henry domerkant

Henry domerkant

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum General

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:54 PM

After just beating a player with an ELO of 726 I have just reached Platinum for the first time, and I would like to thank everyone on the forum for getting me there.

Although this is no big deal to the big guns out there, for me this is massive.

I started playing 2.5 years ago around the same time Maxoscity starting posting videos as Silverhammer & I set myself the goal back then of reaching Platinum. It has been a fun but very hard struggle.

I have been slow to progress going up a rank but then getting knocked back down 3 ranks. I have had 15 game losses in a row along with 18 wins in a row.

I am only a mere fire fighter from London & thought I could never make Platinum, however I read the forum every day & most importantly I have studied every video & comment ever posted. I even have piles & piles of notes that I have made from forum members which became my building blocks to climb the ranks.

With new videos being added all the time from the likes of Napoleon1ER, OuweSok, Maxoscity & Groundbob to name but a few I watched them over & over trying to get into the players minds.

My breakthrough came after watching OuweSoks first video where Darthremark made numerous comments in a forum post. I studied these comments (which GaryLShelton said were worth paying for- I agree) & it was then that it all started to make sense to me.

So once again I would like to thank every contributor to the forum for all the fantastic videos & posts.

Bestofboth

Now i am plat player and i see as almost granted but i had to fight a lot to reach it
Dont underestimate yourself
Good job
Hope to see you participating on a tournament maybe in the future
  • Bestofboth likes this

#7 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:58 PM

Just last week or 2 Not sure exactly I went on a 10 game losing streak I took a break And this past Sunday till Monday I am on almost 20 game winning streak with 1 loss the game kicked me off for swearing in a private message(not to my opponent) And one loss I gave up win against a 800 rated player. But besides that it put me from 620 to 757 Just gotta ride the wave :)
  • Bestofboth likes this
Proud Member of the North American Stratego Federation (NASF)

#8 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 17 January 2018 - 05:09 PM

Good job b.o.b !!Congrats!
  • Bestofboth likes this

Check out my Stratego Youtube channel ! :o

#9 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Major

• Honorary members
  • 1,200 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 17 January 2018 - 05:20 PM

Congrats, great job climbing up here! Always set the bar high and believe in yourself. ;) Hope, too, to see you participating in one of the many tournaments organised at this site.

• Bestofboth likes this
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.

#10 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 17 January 2018 - 05:40 PM

Congratulations!!
  • Bestofboth likes this

I used to play against a few drunken idiots in College and University. I just recently discovered this game online, playing my first matches against real-world opponents. After 100 games, I'm now one of the top 10 players in the world. 

#11 Tilor

Tilor

Bomb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Captain

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:40 AM

Great post! I also have learned a lot on the forum. I am hanging around Gold General/Marshal for the last week or so. I dipped down to Gold Sarge after climbing into Platinum at the end of last year. I'm almost back!

• Bestofboth likes this

Top Rating reached 6/8/18 - 716 Platinum Spy 

Current Rating as of 5/6/19 - 591 Gold Lieutenant

#12 GaryLShelton

GaryLShelton

Flagbearer

• Moderators
  • 6,258 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Lieutenant

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:29 AM

Dipping down to gold sergeant isn't so bad. Once I reached Platinum and my 711 personal high, I promptly fell all the way to 443 before rebounding. My high of 711 was in the fall of 2016, so you've already shown a lot more resiliency than that, bouncing back so quickly. So nice job! :)
  • Bestofboth likes this

i77rs4m.jpg

The complete GS&F Rules can be found here: http://forum.strateg...rum-rules-2016/

Draw Refusal Rules, specifically, can be read here: http://forum.strateg...931#entry468931

#13 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:34 AM

Idk what is up with me I seem to lose to every single game vs silver players in ranked. I beat 2 platinum players then lose to a silver. game has to stop matching me to silvers/ bronze omfg. It is very annoying to build up just to lose 24 points to a bronze/silver player. In the past 2 days i have probably lost 7 games to silver/ bronze. dropped me from 792 to 720. I am done for tonight bec just wtf.

• Bestofboth likes this

#14 Bestofboth

Bestofboth

New Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Scout

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:11 AM

Fks i know what you mean. I went from gold marshal down to 535. I kept beating gold players but losing to silver ones. I go up & down like a yo-yo. I find that if I play silver then I have to use a different setup & play style to what I would use playing Vs high gold players.
  • Fks likes this

#15 KissMyCookie

KissMyCookie

Major

• Members
  • 1,225 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Gold Spy

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:24 AM

Congratulations, Bestofboth! Apparently, it is very common to keep riding the razor-blade up and down the ELO scale. Fks makes a very interesting observation as do you–the gold players at the higher level seem to have a far more serious intent and interest in the game compared with the silver players. So, yes, you cannot approach the two in similar fashion.

Unladen Swallow told me that he usually keeps bluffing to a minimum with silver because too often, in his experience, they can't even conceptualize what the heck a bluff is, so they do illogical or downright stupid things...even when you have made an outstanding bluff which would be regarded with great caution from a far more highly skilled player.

Keep up the great work and achievements! Bravo!

KMC

• Bestofboth and Fks like this

#16 Fks

Fks

Major

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:33 AM

It doesn't matter what I do I lose. Very demoralizing I have to play a very tough opponent get 10 points for win and lose to a guy who does ♥♥♥♥ all and lose 24. It's horrible for my time zone practically no one platinum or higher is on. I guess it's my fault for playing when only 80 people online but this is my prime time.

#17 Major Nelson

Major Nelson

Major

• Honorary members
  • 1,200 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:22 AM

Idk what is up with me I seem to lose to every single game vs silver players in ranked. I beat 2 platinum players then lose to a silver. game has to stop matching me to silvers/ bronze omfg. It is very annoying to build up just to lose 24 points to a bronze/silver player. In the past 2 days i have probably lost 7 games to silver/ bronze. dropped me from 792 to 720. I am done for tonight bec just wtf.

It's even worse at ratings around 1000.
BTW, that's the "roeczak" syndrom.
  • Fks likes this
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.

#18 OuweSok

OuweSok

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Spy

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:46 AM

It doesn't matter what I do I lose. Very demoralizing I have to play a very tough opponent get 10 points for win and lose to a guy who does ♥♥♥♥ all and lose 24. It's horrible for my time zone practically no one platinum or higher is on. I guess it's my fault for playing when only 80 people online but this is my prime time.

Fks you are a very aggressive and intuitive player who makes plays based on his reads and are very dangerous when your reads are good. The key to beating you is by giving you false impressions of where pieces are and allowing you to make mistakes.
The silver player can make plays that you consider "bad" and therefore your mind blocks them out. That is an error from your part. You must think how they think.

So use a setup that is lotto-proof and move smaller scouting pieces in the early game to accumulate a hard info advantage.
Silver players are simply less skilled in hiding their big pieces and with some bluffs you should be able to expose various of their main pieces.

When you have built up enough hard info, then is the time to start moving your big pieces and attack.
  • GaryLShelton, Losermaker, Dobby125 and 2 others like this

Check out my Stratego Youtube channel ! :o

#19 Fairway

Fairway

Marshal

• Moderators
  • 3,141 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Sergeant

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:38 PM

We all have cold streaks. I remember two years ago I reached a high of 321, silver scout, and I was so excited to reach silver- then I promptly fell down to bronze lieutenant. In fact it took me another 3 months before I reached silver again. Although I know that you are a much more explosive player than that, and you will rebound almost immediately, because of your play-style. 

Take a brake from ranked for a day or two. Play friendlies. Play friendlies against not only gold/platinum players, but also against bronze/silver players. This is get you practice against their tactics without causing you to lose points.

I agree with OuweSok. If you guess my pieces correctly? For me, that is when you are impossible to stop. And you guess well, too- that's why you're 8-2 against me. I only got the better of you in our game yesterday.

But also, don't let defeats against silver/bronze get you down. Make a new setup, after playing silver/bronze friends, dedicated entirely to these players and their tactics. 

Don't forget that you are a good player, and don't be frustrated simply because bronze players get lucky and get the better of you. Don't forget about your great wins. Yesterday you told me you beat gkaros. That is great! Don't forget about that when you get down. Just be patient, take a break, and figure out what to do against these players. 

• Bestofboth and Fks like this
WINNER of the first ever Astros Stratego Series! :D

#20 Unladen Swallow

Unladen Swallow

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Coat of arms
  • Platinum Marshal

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:43 PM

I remember when fks used to play like a coward :D
  • Fks likes this

I used to play against a few drunken idiots in College and University. I just recently discovered this game online, playing my first matches against real-world opponents. After 100 games, I'm now one of the top 10 players in the world. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users